PDA

View Full Version : Custom Laser-Cut fins from Semroc

EchoVictor
04-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Carl,

a while back you made mention of the possibility of having Semroc do some custom laser cut-out work for the members of the SVDT. Is this still a possibility?

If so, I've got a few other questions:

What would be the cost per fin-set?

Would we be required to have an order of parts to go with said fin-set?

What kind of graphics file would you need (Corel Draw, PowerPoint, jpeg, etc...)?

I don't want to seem like a moocher. I really appreciate the laser-cut set you made for my Centuri RTD Safat, and I've got a couple of designs with complex/curvy shapes that would just be awesome with laser-cut fins.

Thanks,
Eric

James Pierson
04-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Dear Carl,

Yea , What he said :D . My fingers are sore from cutting too many curved fins :o . Besides your centering rings are the best so I know your fins would be too.

I hope all you need is a Rocksim file for the fin patterns.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Carl@Semroc
04-23-2007, 12:49 PM
We always do laser cutting as a service to our "faithful"!

Time is a consideration, so it is not always overnight. The easiest format is Corel .CDR files Version 10 since that prints directly to the cutter. We can "dumb-dowb" Version 11 or 12, but that is another step. A .TIF file is next best, but it takes an extra 10 or 15 minutes. Some higher res .JPG files are OK. Rocksim takes the longest, 15-30 minutes, because it is completely manual. I have to bring up RockSim and write down all the points and "recurve" the rounded corners. "One of these days" I am going to master that export, but it still exports as Version 12 and then has to ve converted to Version 10.

This all sounds complicated. It's not. It is just time consuming.

On the other hand, I am trying to get files for all the classic designs in the system. This might be an area that the team can assist in exchange for free beta versions of all the generated files.

A Corel Draw format of the V-2 file is attached to show the exact format that goes to the Laser cutter.

EchoVictor
04-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Carl,

any possibility of accepting a PowerPoint (.ppt) file? I can save these off as .tif or .jpg files, but they are at a fixed 96 dpi.

Thanks,
Eric

Carl@Semroc
04-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Carl,

any possibility of accepting a PowerPoint (.ppt) file? I can save these off as .tif or .jpg files, but they are at a fixed 96 dpi.

Thanks,
EricI have not tried it, but Corel does have the ability to import PowerPoint files. If they are vector, it would be quick. Can you send one?

EchoVictor
04-23-2007, 05:17 PM
File sent!

Thanks, Carl!

James Pierson
04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
My hopes, once again, ...Dashed! :(

You folks talk this computer lingo just to punish me don't you ;) .

Lesson learned, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Carl@Semroc
04-23-2007, 09:40 PM
EV, the PowerPoint file worked!

James, send what you have. No dashed hopes allowed around here.

James Pierson
04-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Will sent you an order soon Carl. On my last order I forgot all the Semroc nose cones I needed for the prototypes I am building :o . It was a "Duh" moment. Besides the list just keeps growing.

Thanks Carl.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

EchoVictor
04-24-2007, 01:16 PM
EV, the PowerPoint file worked!

Carl,

thanks a ton! I'm working on another fin-set, and I'll have a parts order in to you soon.

Thanks again,
Eric

rocket_james
04-25-2007, 08:32 PM
On the other hand, I am trying to get files for all the classic designs in the system. This might be an area that the team can assist in exchange for free beta versions of all the generated files.
How do we find out which files you are wanting, Carl? Is there someplace on your site that lists what you are needing?
James

kurtschachner
04-26-2007, 08:40 PM
We always do laser cutting as a service to our "faithful"!

I've got a boatload (and then some) of fin patterns drawn up in Adobe Illustrator, which I think CorelDraw! can import. I could easily send them along assuming they would work.

CPMcGraw
04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
...I am trying to get files for all the classic designs in the system. This might be an area that the team can assist in exchange for free beta versions of all the generated files...

...How do we find out which files you are wanting, Carl? Is there someplace on your site that lists what you are needing?...

Carl,

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a simple chart could be worked up in Excel containing all of the patterns you're looking for, with a cell to indicate which patterns you have received, and which patterns you would like us to concentrate on more than others. As a pattern is finished (after you've cleaned them up, or after you've received them) place a check mark (or a big "X") in that cell. Then you can simply generate an HTML file of that chart as needed and post it on your website in the SVDT area...

DWolman
05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Carl,

Just curious - any possibility of getting into laser-cut ply fins (something like 1/8" or 3/16") with the laser cutter?

I dont' mind cutting balsa at all, but ply is a pain in the rear...it could be a valuable service if getting the file imported was not time consuming - such as requiring a TIFF file (based on your earlier comments).

I don't know about others - but I would be much more likely to order a bunch of stuff if I knew that I was getting out of cutting plywood fins.

Thoughts?

thanks

Carl@Semroc
05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
The thickest hard ply we can cut without charring is 1/16". The 1/8" lite ply cuts well, but it is not good for fins.

EchoVictor
05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
OK, Carl, I finally got my order in.

Thanks again!
- Eric

Carl@Semroc
05-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Eric,
I sent the first set, but have not had time for the second. It takes a while to get rid of all the extraneous info and just get the cut vector.