It starts shipping 04/26/07 -- today!

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
04-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Quest "GHS Limited Edition Kit - Nike Smoke"

http://www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=GHS1&eq=&Tp=

It starts shipping 04/26/07 -- today!

Cheers,

I've got both of the earlier releases of this kit - the regular build, and the quick version. The NC will likely be the same two-piece injection molded from those, and the fins are the same as the earlier regular kit, and the Falcon. The big issue for me will be the fin can. Quality control on the regular kit was a bit lacking, as the fins were warped and basically unfit for use.

On the up-side, Quest chose to re-issue a "classic" model with generally satisfying lines. The price is not outrageous, either, at $11.00. I might have to look into this one when it hits the shelves.

barone
04-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I've got both of the earlier releases of this kit - the regular build, and the quick version. The NC will likely be the same two-piece injection molded from those, and the fins are the same as the earlier regular kit, and the Falcon. The big issue for me will be the fin can. Quality control on the regular kit was a bit lacking, as the fins were warped and basically unfit for use.

On the up-side, Quest chose to re-issue a "classic" model with generally satisfying lines. The price is not outrageous, either, at $11.00. I might have to look into this one when it hits the shelves.I've got the early version and the "quick kit" version also. Never had an issue with the fin cans. Maybe it was just how yours was stored/shipped prior to purchase.

I went ahead a bought one from the web site.....The way stores are around here, it won't make it to a shelf (no one selling Quest, not even Hobby Lobby :( )

Green Dragon
04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
looks good to me.

I actually have a 'clone' of the earlier kit, made from a falcon I won in a contest, and a cone from the 'plastic parts pak' they used to offer.

no issues in the components then, so hoping this release is as nice, might pick one up for grins / to put away .

Neat info on the site about the MPC / AVI history, would love to see an article on those ( and where the molds went / reuses, etc ) .. Mark, you listening ? :)

~ AL

PaulK
04-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Quest "GHS Limited Edition Kit - Nike Smoke"
It starts shipping 04/26/07 -- today!I ordered 2 on 4/24, and they shipped 4/26. One to build & one to admire. I really don't collect kits, but a boxed & numbered version for $11, I couldn't resist. And $5 off for orders over $25 gave me a free ornithopter for my son.

snaquin
05-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Anyone receive their kit yet?

I was just curious if anyone that has received {and opened} their kit would be willing to comment on the fit of the plastic parts produced by Quest using the "refurbished" Nike mold.

barone
05-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Anyone receive their kit yet?

I was just curious if anyone that has received {and opened} their kit would be willing to comment on the fit of the plastic parts produced by Quest using the "refurbished" Nike mold.

.Still waiting.....say's it shipped May 2....so probably see it May 8 ;)

PaulK
05-05-2007, 10:41 AM
...I was just curious if anyone that has received {and opened} their kit would be willing to comment on the fit of the plastic parts produced by Quest using the "refurbished" Nike mold.I received my 2 kits thursday, #36 and #46. They come packaged in a white cardboard box with a commemorative label affixed to the top. A 2nd label seals the box, and has a handwritten number. I opened only #46, which I will build. The box protects everything inside very well. The quality of the plastic parts on this are quite good. The detail is crisp, and the surface very smooth. The NC half that has the pins is missing one pin, don't know if it broke off, or if this is a mold issue. No big deal since I'll be building it. The interesting thing I noticed is that the NC halves appear different, one is a brighter white, with less shine. Again no big deal, since it will be painted. It almost looks like a different plastic batch. They do fit together very well. The fin can looks great, with nice sharp edges. The rest of the kit is usual quest fare, including kevlar recovery, wimpy engine hook, though the BT is much higher quality than I've seen from past quest kits, spirals are barely visible, primer should fill them in just fine. The decals are peel 'n stick. I don't think I'll build the stand from the included plans, a semroc stand will look much nicer. The 11x17 blueprint is very nice, and comes rolled in the BT. Suitable for framing if one had a place to put it. These kits are an excellent value for $11, I almost wish I had bought a third (one to save, one to build for display only, and one to build & launch).

Both kits came in a larger box, with some free header cards from discontinued kits, and one of their hand toss glider kits.

sandman
05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Ordered mine like on the first day they came out.

Haven't seen anything yet.

foose4string
05-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I think they are just a tad slow getting stuff out by today's standards. If you ordered yours when they came out, I'd say your further behind than the normal delay. I ordered my Smoke with some sale items last Friday morning, and it just shipped yesterday, a full week later. And, I can surely expect another week to ten days before delivery. I guess in the overall scheme of things that's not too bad, considering back in the day, anything you ordered by mail would say, "allow 4-6 weeks for delivery". Did you get your shipping confirmation at least, Sandman? If not, I'd be on the horn Monday morning to see what's up.

sandman
05-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh, I can wait...I don't have time right now to build it anyway.

Mark II
05-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Yup, I got one a few weeks ago - kit #10. :) I stumbled across it when I went to the Quest website to order some micromaxx motors during their recent sale. I also picked up a Terrier-Orion kit. These are actually the first Quest kits (other than micromaxx RTF's) that I've gotten - something that was way overdue.

No, I'm not building it, or even opening the box. :p

Thanks for the info about the kit itself - I was wondering about just what was actually in that box.

I'll surely order another one now to build.

Mark

Ltvscout
06-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Yup, I got one a few weeks ago - kit #10. :) I stumbled across it when I went to the Quest website to order some micromaxx motors during their recent sale. I also picked up a Terrier-Orion kit. These are actually the first Quest kits (other than micromaxx RTF's) that I've gotten - something that was way overdue.
FYI, Matt Steele designed the Terrier-Orion for Quest.

Skippy
06-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I got kit #85 with the generous help of Mike Scopone.

The nosecone is the same quality as the one on the Quest Nike Smoke Quick-Kit, so I have had practice filling the seam gaps and ejection pin marks. Looks like a fun kit, and the blueprint is fantastic.

Good value for money. Nicely done Quest!

Mark II
06-01-2007, 07:06 PM
FYI, Matt Steele designed the Terrier-Orion for Quest.
Cool ... a great way to start my Quest fleet! I do think that many of their models are quite visually interesting, especially the Skill Level 2 and 3 models. Great classic lines in their designs, which happens to coincide well with my own taste in rocket design. And all of their models appear to have great details and features for kits at their respective price points.

If anyone has the heart to open and build their signature Nike Smoke, please post pics - I'd love to see what it looks like. I will probably order another one to build myself at some point.

Mark

sandman
06-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Cool ... a great way to start my Quest fleet! I do think that many of their models are quite visually interesting, especially the Skill Level 2 and 3 models. Great classic lines in their designs, which happens to coincide well with my own taste in rocket design. And all of their models appear to have great details and features for kits at their respective price points.

If anyone has the heart to open and build their signature Nike Smoke, please post pics - I'd love to see what it looks like. I will probably order another one to build myself at some point.

Mark

I opened mine...It'll built quicker than a quick kit! It has the one piece fin.

One comment...awfully small rocket for such a big box. :confused: Nice but nothing special except the blueprints. Those are cool.