PDA

View Full Version : Model Rocketry book Bibliography

shockwaveriderz
04-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Has anybody ever published a master listing of all books about model rocketry that were published here in the usa?

This book , "The Rocket Handbook for Amateurs" by Lt.Col. Charles M.Parkin, Jr. 1959
had model rocketry "content" in it. By the way, Mr. Parkins was 1 of the first group of NAR Trustees

Model rockets for beginners / Author: Gilmore, Horace Herman, Publisher: New York : Harper, Date: 1961.

The above book should more appropriately be named Model Paper Rockets

I recently won a 1964 book on model rocketry called "Aiming High". I think it is by a (?) Lee H. Mountain.

Handbook of Model Rocketry
1st Edition (1965)
2nd Edition (1967)
3rd Edition (1970)
4th Edition (1976)
5th Edition (1983)
6th Edition (1994)
7th Edition (2004) (with Bill Stine)
The Model Rocketry Manual (1975)
The New Model Rocketry Manual (1977)

Topics in Advanced Model Rocketry 1973 Gordon K.Mandell et al MIT Press

Model Rockets from Design to Launch Douglas J. Malewicki 1980

If anybody has any of the above books or others, please consider doing a scan of the cover and I will compile a master listing with your help

thanks in advance

terry dean
nar 16158

chalinaty
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
I have:

"The Rocket Book; A Guide to Building and Launching Model Rockets for the Space Age"
by Robert L. Cannon and Michael A. Banks (1985--The Prentice-Hall Science Education Series) This is much like "The Handbook of Model Rocketry." Softcover, 224 pages, "foreword by J. Patrick Miller, president, NAR." ISBN 0-13-782244-8

and

"The Rocket; The History and Development of Rocket & Missile Technology" by David Baker, PhD (1978 Crown Publishers Inc) This is a large hardcover book, 276 pages, 350 illustrations, including two 6-page colour fold outs and 34 pages of colour. ISBN 0-517-534045

I have the front covers scanned and will figure out how to post them soon.

shockwaveriderz
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I am only really interested in books on model rocketry; not general rocketry books, but you can email me a pic of that Robert CAnnon book. And the information that you provided is also what I am looking for. Thanks! shockwavriderz@hotmail.com

terry dean
nar 16158

snaquin
05-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Has anybody ever published a master listing of all books about model rocketry that were published here in the usa?

This book , "The Rocket Handbook for Amateurs" by Lt.Col. Charles M.Parkin, Jr. 1959
had model rocketry "content" in it. By the way, Mr. Parkins was 1 of the first group of NAR Trustees

Model rockets for beginners / Author: Gilmore, Horace Herman, Publisher: New York : Harper, Date: 1961.

The above book should more appropriately be named Model Paper Rockets

I recently won a 1964 book on model rocketry called "Aiming High". I think it is by a (?) Lee H. Mountain.

Handbook of Model Rocketry
1st Edition (1965)
2nd Edition (1967)
3rd Edition (1970)
4th Edition (1976)
5th Edition (1983)
6th Edition (1994)
7th Edition (2004) (with Bill Stine)
The Model Rocketry Manual (1975)
The New Model Rocketry Manual (1977)

Topics in Advanced Model Rocketry 1973 Gordon K.Mandell et al MIT Press

Model Rockets from Design to Launch Douglas J. Malewicki 1980

If anybody has any of the above books or others, please consider doing a scan of the cover and I will compile a master listing with your help

thanks in advance

terry dean
nar 16158

Terry,

Has anyone responded with the 4th Edition (1976) Handbook of Model Rocketry? I have a hardbound copy I purchased from Abebooks a while back. The book cover is plain orange but it has a very nice photo dust jacket with the picture with the US Team at the World Championships helping Howard Kuhn load his scale NASA Javelin sounding rocket.

I'd be more than happy to scan at whatever res you need if you are still looking for this version.

shockwaveriderz
05-03-2007, 05:57 PM
steve:
yes this and anything anybody wants to contribute would be greatly appreciated.

thanks !

terry dean
nar 16158

snaquin
05-03-2007, 07:53 PM
steve:
yes this and anything anybody wants to contribute would be greatly appreciated.

thanks !

terry dean
nar 16158

Terry,

I scanned the cover at 200dpi and saved as a .jpg at best quality
The resulting image was a little less than 2mb. A smaller version is attached below. Let me know if you want me to email you the other file.

C Greg
05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Have you searched WorldCat? It's an online catalog of thousands of libraries.

www.worldcat.org

That should keep you busy for a while.

Good luck,
Greg

ckbush
05-28-2007, 06:50 AM
I have a teacher's guide called "Experimenting With Model Rockets," from the Lawrence Hall of Science of the University of California, Berkeley. I think I bought it from Amazon's used stores, but I am not sure.

It is about teachers directing students experimenting with Viking kits in the classroom. The kids decide how many fins they are going to use, and where they are going to put them on the rocket. It discusses stability, flight heights, and other general rocket "student" interests. I hope to be able to work with some students sometime, and put this book to use.

Chuck

ScaleNut
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
there are 2 or 3 from the apogee site such as

model rocket design and construction (1st and 2nd editions) van milligan)

second stage -advanced model rocketry(banks and vanmilligan)

and don't forget

the art of scale model rocketry (alway)