PDA

View Full Version : Estes Python 2129

teflonrocketry1
04-23-2018, 01:06 PM
There is much misinformation about this kit on the internet. The payload tube is 12 inches long not 11 as in the Estes body tube length tables made by John Brohm. I get a full length of 34 inches not 33.3 inches as in the 1997 - 2000 Estes Catalogs. I created this RockSim file from a kit that I finally was able to obtain. The dimensional measurements are correct; I haven't fully opened the kit and weighed all of the components. I have attached the RockSim file which should allow for easy up or downscale (as well as 3D printing or turning of the complex nosecone shape) and a few screen shots from the simulation file.

teflonrocketry1
04-25-2018, 04:28 PM
The nosecone and transition I 3D printed using the data in the RockSim file I posted came out great, see attached pictures. The 3D printed nosecone is on the left the original from the kit is on the right.

rocketron1948
06-21-2018, 01:39 AM
This was a great kit. I wish Estes would reintroduce it with an E engine mount.

Rocketron

mwtoelle
06-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately, the Python and Seahawk SM-3 fall into the category of SPEVs (Spare Parts Elimination Vehicles). The main purpose of these kits was to use up the excess of Terrier boosters (custom tubes, centering rings, fins, and in the case of the Seahawk, excess transitions) from the Terrier-Sandhawk Pro Series kit introduced in 1993.

Gus
06-21-2018, 08:45 PM
The nosecone and transition I 3D printed using the data in the RockSim file I posted came out great, see attached pictures. The 3D printed nosecone is on the left the original from the kit is on the right.
HOLY COW!!!! Bruce, how the heck are you? So great to see you posting.

Folks, for those who don't know Bruce, he's the KING of rocksim. Nobody does it better.

Bruce, so good to see you back here!

Steve

teflonrocketry1
06-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately, the Python and Seahawk SM-3 fall into the category of SPEVs (Spare Parts Elimination Vehicles). The main purpose of these kits was to use up the excess of Terrier boosters (custom tubes, centering rings, fins, and in the case of the Seahawk, excess transitions) from the Terrier-Sandhawk Pro Series kit introduced in 1993.

I wonder where the nosecone for the Python came from, the odd shape with at least 5 different conical shaped portions took quite some time to accurately draw for the RockSim simulation and 3D print. I think this is a great looking kit and I am trying to figure out what scale model I might be able to use the nosecone for now that I can easily print them.

teflonrocketry1
06-22-2018, 09:35 PM
HOLY COW!!!! Bruce, how the heck are you? So great to see you posting.

Folks, for those who don't know Bruce, he's the KING of rocksim. Nobody does it better.

Bruce, so good to see you back here!

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your kind words. I am now retired and have more time for rockets! I have 100's of kits to build, a 2300 square foot indoor workshop (full basement) with a full car sized paint booth. I am getting back into computer simulations and recently found a work around in RockSim so I don't have to learn CAD to generate files for my 3D printers. Currently, I am attempting to modify one of my printers to 3D print nosecones up to 1 meter long and 150mm in diameter; I want to make a scale nosecone for my 4" diameter LOC Precision IRIS.

ghrocketman
06-23-2018, 03:27 PM
I think the Python cone came from the AIM-9 Sidewinder kit.

olDave
06-23-2018, 08:48 PM

Yes it did.

I still have one or two laying around here somewhere.

jdbectec
06-24-2018, 07:42 AM
The Sidewinder is BT-55. Although the shapes are nearly identical they are different sizes.

mwtoelle
06-24-2018, 07:50 PM
The tube on the Python is 1.84" in diameter. I actually have the Terrier-Sandhawk and the Seahawk in the box.

teflonrocketry1
06-24-2018, 09:31 PM
I have both the 'winder and Python kits and their nosecones are very different shapes and diameters. The 'winder is BT-55, or 1.325" OD and the Python is similar to Centuri ST-18 body tube at 1.84" OD.

You can check out my detailed RockSim files for both of these designs at Rocketreviews.com

Estes Sidewinder EST#2125 (From a file I created and posted more than 18 years ago!)

https://www.rocketreviews.com/file-27306/oop_estes_sidewinder_ver8.rkt

Estes Python #2129

https://www.rocketreviews.com/file-854061/oop_estes_python_2129.rkt

I still don't have any idea where the Python nosecone came from.

ghrocketman
06-24-2018, 11:22 PM
If the Python nose cone was not used elsewhere, I have no idea how this one is called a "SPEV".

NorthwoodsRockets
04-08-2023, 06:57 PM

Hey teflonrocketry1 (aka Bruce),
A little time travel request!!!
Around 2006ish, a student of mine gave me a fin can and payload tube mixed in with a bunch of other pieces/parts. I have wanted to find a nose cone for it. However, I have not been able to identify the kit until now. I do not believe that I have seen the Estes Python before today. That is a distinctive nose one. It sounds like a production nosecone for it is unobtainium, but I have a 3D printer, so I was wondering if you had any desire to share/could find the stl file or if you would be able to give me me the accurate weight.
Thanks much,
Matt

Ltvscout
04-08-2023, 07:01 PM
Hey teflonrocketry1 (aka Bruce),
A little time travel request!!!
Around 2006ish, a student of mine gave me a fin can and payload tube mixed in with a bunch of other pieces/parts. I have wanted to find a nose cone for it. However, I have not been able to identify the kit until now. I do not believe that I have seen the Estes Python before today. That is a distinctive nose one. It sounds like a production nosecone for it is unobtainium, but I have a 3D printer, so I was wondering if you had any desire to share/could find the stl file or if you would be able to give me me the accurate weight.
Thanks much,
Matt
Hi Matt,

Unfortunately, Bruce passed away about 3 years ago.

If you're looking for 3D files the person to talk to here is Jack Hydrazine.

NorthwoodsRockets
04-08-2023, 07:28 PM
I’m so sorry to hear that!
Thank you for the message.