PDA

View Full Version : New old kits

Gravitybandit
05-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Im an old rocketeer making a come back from the late 60's and 70's Anyway I dug out some of my old stuff just to see what I had left and found a box with some old Centuri and Estes kits in it. Almost all are opened, just never got around to building them. some are missing a few parts or have damaged tubes from storage. All have the old paperwork. I noticed that you post plans on your site and I think I have a few kits you need pictures for. I have Centuri, Black widow, T-Bird, Centaur, X-21, Micro probe, Estes Astron Falcon this one has some stains. Astron Space Plane, Also is the Estes Astron space plane suposed to have a white body tube? I can scan what ever you need. Thanks Gravitybandit Bob

sandman
05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi Im an old rocketeer making a come back from the late 60's and 70's Anyway I dug out some of my old stuff just to see what I had left and found a box with some old Centuri and Estes kits in it. Almost all are opened, just never got around to building them. some are missing a few parts or have damaged tubes from storage. All have the old paperwork. I noticed that you post plans on your site and I think I have a few kits you need pictures for. I have Centuri, Black widow, T-Bird, Centaur, X-21, Micro probe, Estes Astron Falcon this one has some stains. Astron Space Plane, Also is the Estes Astron space plane suposed to have a white body tube? I can scan what ever you need. Thanks Gravitybandit Bob

WOW! did you find a goldmine!

The Centuri Black Widow is an EXCEPTIONAL find! :eek:

And yes the Astron Spaceplane came with a white body tube!

That tube was hand rolled on the Estes' farmhouse floor by Gleda Estes!

Build them if you want to but most people here would save them and go to SEMROC

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/default.asp

Find the replacement parts and copy (clone) the kit.

Do post the plans too!

Gravitybandit
05-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info on semroc, Ill check them out. Gravitybandit

Gravitybandit
05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
I also found my old camroc cameras. I remember my first one did a lawn dart after four flights and messed up the nose lens so I bought a new one and never used it. I dont suppose you could ever find film for these anymore. I guess flying these would be risky at best. I dont think I ever got a good picture with them anyway. Gravitybandit Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
I also found my old camroc cameras. I remember my first one did a lawn dart after four flights and messed up the nose lens so I bought a new one and never used it. I dont suppose you could ever find film for these anymore. I guess flying these would be risky at best. I dont think I ever got a good picture with them anyway. Gravitybandit Bob
Do a Google search on Camroc. I'm pretty sure someone had an updated way of doing this, but I'm not sure which forum it was presented on. You might want to consider what you have as a piece of history and look into digital photography. Digital seems to get cheaper with each flying season and there are several inexpensive methods out there that employ pen cams and other inexpensive digital and 35mm cameras. :cool:

CPMcGraw
05-20-2007, 11:13 PM

Hey, Bob!

Ditto what Sandman said, that's a goldmine. I don't think anyone has the Micro Probe posted yet, so I know Scott at Ye Olde Rocket Plans (YORP) can put them to good use! As for the remaining Centuri plans, we are especially looking for the oldest versions. YORP and JimZ have several collections of Centuri designs, but many of these are the later, plastic-nose versions that had been "altered" since their first release. If any of the plans you have represent balsa-nose early versions, please send them!

BTW, Welcome to the asylum!

Gravitybandit
05-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Ill try and post a picture but Im new to this.

CPMcGraw
05-20-2007, 11:26 PM

(Insert loud shouting and unrestrained hoopla in the background...)

Bob!

Those are, indeed, the older versions of the T-Bird and Centaur in particular. If those are already opened, what we really need are digital scans of those plans, each and every page. It would be nice to get scans of the fin sheets, too. The settings for the scanner need to be at 300 DPI, color or B&W for the plan sheets, and color for the balsa sheets; the file formats should be either a JPG, TIF, or PNG for the instruction sheets, and TIF or PNG for the balsa sheets.

Shout if you need further assistance with those scans...

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-20-2007, 11:44 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:
(Bill stands in awe and almost piddles himself like an excited puppy.)
:cool:

Gravitybandit
05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Craig I'll get my scanner out tommorow and see what I can do. I took those pictures with a digital camera.Take Care, and thanks for all the info. Gravitybandit Bob

Gravitybandit
05-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Hi Guys I just went to yorp to see what you need. I have the 60's Fire fly kit its been started but I have all the old plans and bag header. Im not sure about decals? I have a set I cant I.D. They just have USA all over them with six little blue stars on both sides of the USA. many of my kits are open in a box and Im busy trying to put the correct parts back in their bags. Gravitybandit Bob

Leo
05-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Very nice, very nice indeed :eek:

Gravitybandit
05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi all, Here is a couple photos on my Fire Fly, tooth picks and all. As you can see I started it but never completed it. It looks different than the one in your plans on YORP. There are also more decals I cant I.D. in the photo. Looking at the picture in my plans Im not sure it had decals? It has a hang tag rather than an insert card. you can see it laying on the black decals. Gravitybandit Bob

Doug Sams
05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
(Bill stands in awe and almost piddles himself like an excited puppy.)Cleanup on aisle 7.

Doug

barone
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi Craig I'll get my scanner out tommorow and see what I can do. I took those pictures with a digital camera.Take Care, and thanks for all the info. Gravitybandit Bob
Hey Bob. Don't put your self out. Just put them all in a box and send them to me. I'll take care of the rest..... :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
05-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi all, Here is a couple photos on my Fire Fly, tooth picks and all. As you can see I started it but never completed it. It looks different than the one in your plans on YORP. There are also more decals I cant I.D. in the photo. Looking at the picture in my plans Im not sure it had decals? It has a hang tag rather than an insert card. you can see it laying on the black decals. Gravitybandit Bob
Bob,

We can use scans of all of your hidden treasure that you found. You can find instructions on how to do the scans here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/sendscans.htm

You can then either email the scans to me, or, if they're large and you know how to FTP I can set you up with an FTP account here. Just let me know your preferred way of sending them.

Thank you!

SEL
05-21-2007, 01:49 PM

YIKES all friggin-fracken-mighty, Bandit!! Those are in great shape. Scan the plans and pre-printed balsa - I don't think those versions are on either JimZ or YORP. Nice find!!

Sean

SEL
05-21-2007, 02:12 PM

Nothing risky about it at all, and with a few adjustments in the film processing, you can get surprisingly good pics. I worked out a jig with an Olfa circle cutter and matboard. It ain't pretty, but considering you need to be working in total darkness it doesn't really matter. You can use KODAK Tri-X or Ilford FP-5 4X5 sheet film - both are rated at ISO 320 and need to be pushed. There are also higher speed films up to 3200, but I havn't tried them (with a Camroc, anyway). I'll dig it out and post photo's as soon as I have the time.

As far as developing goes, there's a two bath process that can reduce the contrast and give you good detail in the shadows while not blowing out the lighter areas. Takes a bit of trial and error and you also have to pick your time of day to launch, but take it for what it is and have some fun.

S.

SEL
05-21-2007, 02:16 PM

The stripes are Estes decals.

S.

SEL
05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
(Bill stands in awe and almost piddles himself like an excited puppy.)
:cool:

In my case, there was no "almost" :o :o

S.

Gravitybandit
05-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi guys Here is a photo of the Centaur instuctions. There is a small hole because of staple pull out. I just thought maybe some of you may want to see them. I packed up my scanner a few months ago when I got my new digital camera. I didnt think I was going to need it anymore. Anyway I cant find my wall wart for it (Power supply) I will get some of these instructions scanned and posted as soon as I get things straitened out. Thanks for all the info on decals. Thanks Sel. I have several sets with dates and instructions on the back but no maker. After giving it some thought I think Im going to pass on launching the Camroc, I would hate to lawn dart a second one, but If I change my mind thanks for the film info. If there are any other instructions you want to see that I have already mentioned, I can post with my camera, let me know. thanks Gravitybandit Bob

Gravitybandit
05-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Here is the Micro-probe instructions. Scott I dont know what a FTP is? Is it explained at the link you posted?. I used JPG or JPEG Gravitybandit Bob

Ltvscout
05-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Here is the Micro-probe instructions. Scott I dont know what a FTP is? Is it explained at the link you posted?. I used JPG or JPEG Gravitybandit Bob
No problem, just use email then for sending the scans once you get around to it. Your scanning software will let you choose how to do the scan, which is why I have those instructions. You would tell the software to save the scan as a TIF file.

CPMcGraw
05-22-2007, 11:20 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the photos. Very much appreciated! I've got one additional request, which will help everyone out: Could you measure the tubes in those kits, and post the lengths here? Measure to the nearest 0.10". Centuri was notoriously bad about their posted model lengths; trying to fit together the parts listed in the catalog for that year gives me final lengths other than what was published.

That scanner will help out tremendously for those fin sheets. It will allow you to get a true-size image of the sheet, which is what we need to duplicate the patterns accurately. One photo you had shows the sheets as being pre-printed, so the image should come out clear. Having the correct tube lengths will tell us which SEMROC parts to order, since Carl has duplicated the Centuri part lists.

I'm already drooling over these three models. Some of us have been looking for these older plans for a number of years!

Arley Davis
05-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Also do not forget to when you scan the fins, place a ruler along the side for scale.

snaquin
05-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi guys Here is a photo of the Centaur instuctions. There is a small hole because of staple pull out. I just thought maybe some of you may want to see them. I packed up my scanner a few months ago when I got my new digital camera. I didnt think I was going to need it anymore. Anyway I cant find my wall wart for it (Power supply) I will get some of these instructions scanned and posted as soon as I get things straitened out. Thanks for all the info on decals. Thanks Sel. I have several sets with dates and instructions on the back but no maker. After giving it some thought I think Im going to pass on launching the Camroc, I would hate to lawn dart a second one, but If I change my mind thanks for the film info. If there are any other instructions you want to see that I have already mentioned, I can post with my camera, let me know. thanks Gravitybandit Bob

Hello Gravitybandit Bob

What a great find you have in that old box of rockets! I'm very interested in the Centaur in particular. I can't really tell from your image but can you us tell if your version of the Centaur has the engine mounts & stage couplers pre-installed? The 1967 catalog mentions that these items were pre-installed. The 1965 catalog does not mention this. Just curious. The "dual-lock" staged kits of the 60's are of interest to me. I know how the "pass-port" models worked and what parts those included, but I have never seen any of the earliest staged types since I was a kid that were "dual-lock".

Thanks!

Gravitybandit
05-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Hello Gravitybandit Bob

What a great find you have in that old box of rockets! I'm very interested in the Centaur in particular. I can't really tell from your image but can you us tell if your version of the Centaur has the engine mounts & stage couplers pre-installed? The 1967 catalog mentions that these items were pre-installed. The 1965 catalog does not mention this. Just curious. The "dual-lock" staged kits of the 60's are of interest to me. I know how the "pass-port" models worked and what parts those included, but I have never seen any of the earliest staged types since I was a kid that were "dual-lock".

Thanks!

Hi Steve Im trying to figure all this out mysef, I thought it would be easy but with many of the tubes loose in the box I goin crazy. And something else that doesnt help is many of the kits are started and mixed with Estes parts???? Here you can see the major Centaur parts ive put together in these photos. I guess I started it and gave up and canabulized three fins a long time ago. But there is enough of the fins left to copy. Another thing that threw me at first is when I looked at the printed fin sheet and noticed that the fins did not look like the fins in the instruction sheet??? then it dawned on me that each fin consisists of two parts glued together! Daaa Take a look. The instruction sheets dont have tube sizes. I havnt had time to read them all yet. Im hoping that if I can get these posted with scans we can figure this mess out? Also your correct about the catalog sizes, I tryed that too there off at least a half inch in some cases. and many of these kits are so old Im sure you know very little info. I can tell you that I think there all 60's because, Im pretty sure I quit rockets in the 60's and started building gliders and u-control planes in the 70's. Take care Gravitybandit Bob :D

Gravitybandit
05-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Steve I think your right about Dual lock on the Centaur. check the photos I took from the instructions. The motor tubes may be pre-constructed, They are well built and I was very young and I dont see any mention on constructing them in the instructions? and the plan clearly shows the thrust ring on the bottom of the booster and that the motors need to be taped together. I think one of these in the picture is the booster for the Centaur. Does anyone out there have a Compaq S4 100 scanner? If so can you look at the power cord transformer and tell me what the voltage is. All of my unused wall warts are in a box and Im not sure which one fits my scanner. Im starting to see a pattern develop here.( Boxes of stuff) :confused: :D :D Gravitybandit Bob

Gravitybandit
05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Scott I was lookin around the net and noticed that my Camroc instuctions are older than others I found so Ill include scans of those also when I get my scanner going.. (check the logo and price) Gravitybandit Bob

CPMcGraw
05-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Does anyone out there have a Compaq S4 100 scanner? If so can you look at the power cord transformer and tell me what the voltage is. All of my unused wall warts are in a box and Im not sure which one fits my scanner...

Bob,

I just looked at the manual from Compaq on that scanner, and it says 12V. It probably won't be the smallest one, but it may not be the largest, either.

Ltvscout
05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi Scott I was lookin around the net and noticed that my Camroc instuctions are older than others I found so Ill include scans of those also when I get my scanner going.. (check the logo and price) Gravitybandit Bob
Much appreciated. Thanks, Bob!

Solomoriah
05-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Does anyone out there have a Compaq S4 100 scanner? If so can you look at the power cord transformer and tell me what the voltage is. All of my unused wall warts are in a box and Im not sure which one fits my scanner.
Is there a power icon beside the power port on the scanner? It will generally look like a dot inside a circle, with a line going one way to a + sign and a line going the other way to a - sign. This tells you the polarity of the power port; most devices have a mark like this. Your AC adapters should have a similar mark; the + goes either to the circle or the dot. The polarity of the adapter and the scanner must be identical in most cases.

Next, check the serial number label on the scanner; most such devices (but sadly, not all) will have the required DC volts and amps listed there. You should have an AC adapter (out of those with correct polarity) that matches the DC volts exactly and equals or exceeds the listed amps, and that adapter will be the one you are looking for.

... i do this all the time for my customers ...

Gravitybandit
05-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi all, Well my scanner fryed, it is 12 volt but I used a low amp 12v wall wart and cooked it :D Steve I was looking at the plans again and I found this on the Micro-Probe plans. Look at Photo #1 Centuri was pre constructing the motor mounts in the mid-sixties, no doubt. ;) There are no dates on these instruction sheets. And there are no tube sizes. But I think the yougest kit I have is the Fire Fly and I believe it is a 1969 And as I recall I did most of my rocketeering in the mid 60's The motor mount I have for it also looks pre constructed? But with the parts I have and the intruction sheets I sure I will get them all figured out. The kits are comming together well. Im down to very few missing small parts, just missing things like nose weights and trying figure out correct length launch rod straw :D I figured out the tube sizes by looking at the balsa transitions , nose cones, in the box and body size verses motor size shown in the instruction sheets and there all fitting together like a puzzle.. There are not alot of scrap tubes in the box so Im confedent I have them correct. Anyway I'll try to get the instruction sheets posted as soon as I get another scanner. :) Gravitybandit Bob