PDA

View Full Version : New Kits from Estes

Ltvscout
05-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Once again, YORF is able to get the scoop on the Estes new releases before anyone else. ;)

This model is one people having been looking for Estes to re-release for a long time. This is not a 3FNC re-release like their Der Red Max. BTW, you can look for the Der Red Max to hit the shelves in mid to late June. I'll report back here when I get an availability date for these two new kits.

Without further adieu, here are the new releases coming from Estes...

Interceptor #1250

Introducing a classic remake of the ESTES Interceptor… one of the most popular model rockets of all time!

The new Interceptor retains the intergalactic cruiser look it had decades ago, but with new and improved features such as: laser cut precision balsa parts, highly detailed blow molded nose cone and 5 color decal sheets that provide spectacular results!

Skill Level 2
Length: 26.0 in.
Diameter: 1.3 in.
Wingspan: 7.4 in.
Recovery System: 18 in. Parachute
Recommended Engines: B6-2; B6-4; C6-5

Interceptor E #1350

Introducing the ESTES E - powered version of the world-renowned Interceptor model rocket!

Standing nearly 39 in. tall, this Skill Level 2 rocket features laser cut precision balsa parts, a slotted body tube for extra secure wing & fin mounting, a detailed blow molded nose cone and 3 huge 5 color decal sheets that will finish this model in award winning décor!

Skill Level 2
Length: 39.0 in.
Diameter: 2.0 in.
Wingspan: 11.25 in.
Recovery System: 24 in. Nylon Parachute
Recommended Engines: E9-4

DeanHFox
05-25-2007, 03:34 PM
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm getting out the credit card right now...lessee, two of each...hey, I got a couple kids I could mortgage... :)

Thanks for the scoop, Scott!

dwmzmm
05-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Scott, are you sure you're not the Rocket Doctor?! :confused: :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
05-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Once again, YORF is able to get the scoop on the Estes new releases before anyone else. ;)

Interceptor #1250

Interceptor E #1350

It does seem like someone at the Big E is attempting to correct past deficiencies... :D

I congratulate those who have pushed internally for this change in company vision, and I may have to reconsider some of those nasty things I've thought privately about them over the years... :rolleyes:

Good work, Scott...

Ltvscout
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Scott, are you sure you're not the Rocket Doctor?! :confused: :rolleyes:
No, that's the other Scott. :D

Gus
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Fantastic! :D :D :D

I too congratulate Estes on bringing back one of their very best designs.

Royatl
05-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Hmmm.

Looks like a couple of new protuberances on the larger version. Possibly something to strengthen the fins?

Ltvscout
05-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Hmmm.

Looks like a couple of new protuberances on the larger version. Possibly something to strengthen the fins?
Ya, I noticed that too. Download the pics and zoom in on them and you can see the details. The toothpicks have been replaced with something more HD on both of them as well.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Even better than I had hoped. I figured that the Interceptor had to be on the short list at Estes for "bring backs" :rolleyes: , but I never considered the possibility of an upscale. Too cool.
:cool:

dwmzmm
05-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Now, if Estes can just jump start their blog website....

ARTU
05-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Zoinks !

That 2" diameter 'ceptor is just askin' for an F12 24mm reload :eek:

Should we thank a group of medlin' kids for gettin' these released :D

Excuse me while I go get a Scooby snack to celibrate :cool:

Leo
05-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes Sir ! :)

sandman
05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
That is great news!

I do have one "minor" thing to question.

Skill level 2????

Their deturmination of the skill level thing has me baffled. :confused:

Heck the decals alone take a good 2 or 3 hours to put on! That has to be worth another skill level jump right there...oh well, That should be my only complaint :o

Yes I want two of each!

Rocketking
05-25-2007, 05:21 PM
This shows that, however short-lived, the Estes Forum Did serve a purpose!

I'm Due to get 'em both. Still Have an original O/C K-50 looking over my shoulder while on the computer. Guess I should have sold it when I had the chance, Ehh?

So long as they are water transfer decals!

rocketguy101
05-25-2007, 05:42 PM
This shows that, however short-lived, the Estes Forum Did serve a purpose!!

So we can expect the metal fin alignment jig and B-14 motors... :)

Really this is great news--and an upscale to boot!

rocketguy
05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
As if I don't already have enough rockets - Ah Well - Where's my credit card?

Eagle3
05-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Zoinks !

That 2" diameter 'ceptor is just askin' for an F12 24mm reload :eek:

Should we thank a group of medlin' kids for gettin' these released :D

Excuse me while I go get a Scooby snack to celibrate :cool:

The original flies like the proverbial bat out of hell on a D21. :D The F12 and E18 will rawk in the 1350. I hope the release date "soon".

John Brohm
05-25-2007, 07:53 PM

Without further adieu, here are the new releases coming from Estes...

Interceptor #1250

... and ...

Interceptor E #1350

Introducing the ESTES E - powered version of the world-renowned Interceptor model rocket!

Wow - these guys have all the appearance of getting serious. It's great to see Estes do this; it will be interesting to see how these "bring back" kits (can we get them to come up with something more palatable than "bring back"?) play with the non-BAR community. Will they sell generally, or will it be left to the niche that the BARs and the old timers occupy to make this program of re-releases viable?

#1350 is a re-use of the kit number for the old Black Hole Space Probe; it would appear that not only the kits are being re-released.

Gus
05-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Scott,

Now that I've had time to digest this.... any chance the 1250 might show up in Launchables packaging for Walmart?

They'd sell a trillion of em.

Tau Zero
05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
This model is one people having been looking for Estes to re-release for a long time.

Interceptor #1250

Introducing a classic remake of the ESTES Interceptor… one of the most popular model rockets of all time!Does anybody remember my response when Rocket Doctor kept saying on the Estes forum, "You'll *love* what we're coming out with?"

I told him, "When you say that, in my brain it translates to, (whispered) 'Interceptor.'" :eek: ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

roguepink
05-26-2007, 03:05 AM
The Interceptor E has reinforcing strips on the top verticals and wings. We discovered, in flight testing, that these were shear points. All the old balsa and "toothpicks" have been replaced with new plastic tooling. The wing pods are each two pieces, injection molded. The top vert spikes are each a single injection piece. The nose cone is blow-mold on both.

Have a closer look at the paint work on the "E" version. The whole rocket has been painted in a pearlescent random panel effect. It doesn't come over as well in a photo, but in person the effect is stunning. Also, the decals have all been enhanced.

The Interceptor E is a slow flyer, even on an E motor. It's beautiful to watch.

dwmzmm
05-26-2007, 06:58 AM
The Interceptor E has reinforcing strips on the top verticals and wings. We discovered, in flight testing, that these were shear points. All the old balsa and "toothpicks" have been replaced with new plastic tooling. The wing pods are each two pieces, injection molded. The top vert spikes are each a single injection piece. The nose cone is blow-mold on both.

Have a closer look at the paint work on the "E" version. The whole rocket has been painted in a pearlescent random panel effect. It doesn't come over as well in a photo, but in person the effect is stunning. Also, the decals have all been enhanced.

I assume the Interceptor E can also use the D12's (D12-3 or 5)?!

Eagle3
05-26-2007, 08:38 AM

I noticed the E version looked weathered. Nice touch. She maybe slow on an E9, but I'll bet it moves out on a F22 or even a E30.... unless Penrose has a better engine coming for it?..... ;)

wildman33
05-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Time to open the wallet and buy 2 each of ESTES Interceptor. :) :D

Gus
05-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Have a closer look at the paint work on the "E" version. The whole rocket has been painted in a pearlescent random panel effect. It doesn't come over as well in a photo, but in person the effect is stunning.
Roguepink,

I presume that isn't a one coat Krylon color. ;)

Can you give us an explanation of the technique and materials used?

sandman
05-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Roguepink,

Since the cat is out of the bag anyway...how about a really nice photo of your "prototype" with a nice close up shot or two of your paint scheme.

Heck you're leaving Estes anyway, they probably wouldn't mind you snaping a few pics.

We like pics! :D

BTW...will they let you take anything with you when you leave? :rolleyes: Maybe a trunkload of "spare" kits or like maybe some personal projects or even some failed ones that never made it into production...those would be cool to see.

Don't get into trouble though!

Brian L Raney
05-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I guess it would be too much to ask if Estes would also be coming out with the 'Simulated Strap-On Booster' for the Interceptor as well...

Bob Thomas
05-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I've been waiting for one of the many geniuses (genii???) to figure a way to make the booster work. I bet more than a few will try with this version. Any word on where and when to order. There isn't a waiting list that I don't know about, is there???

Phred
05-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I already have a new ESTES D Region Tom (and I like it!), and I will surely be buying several of each of the Interceptors!!

Phred

roguepink
05-27-2007, 01:44 AM
I have some detail photos already, I'll get them online and provide a link.

Base color is Krylon gloss white.
I used a plotter to cut 4 variations of random rectangles and squares. Short of a plotter, use some frisket film, a straight edge, and hand cut your patterns.
The panel color is a pearlescent white acrylic I found at an art supply store. Work lightly.
The effect must be airbrushed.
Apply a mask, spray, move, spray, move, etc. Change masks to avoid any patterns.
Panel weathering is a note card placed against the rocket and misting a dark gray or black along the card edge. Work from back of the subject to the front. This creates the illusion of streaks and grime coming off weld points.
Apply decals and seal with a FLAT lacquer clear. The flat finish subdues the panel and makes the effect more subtle.
The final touch is more airbrush to pick out exhaust stains and burn marks.

You can give any rocket a great sense of scale this way. It works particularly well on real-world subjects and science fiction designs.

mperdue
05-27-2007, 06:49 AM
I have some detail photos already, I'll get them online and provide a link.
-snip-
As I'm currently completing a 3X upscale I'm very anxious to see these detail photos. Thanks for the paint tips too...

Mario

Royatl
05-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Are you saying the body is prepainted? Or that the pearl is the recommended paint for it?

EDIT: Never mind. I read the rest of the thread. I've also been using a pearlescent arcrylic (Ceramcoat, i think) in my airbrush, but my airbrushing techniques leave lots to be desired, so I get a really uneven look.

Ltvscout
05-29-2007, 07:32 AM
As promised, I now have projected availability info (always subject to change) along with the suggested retail price for each kit.

The #1250 kit is due out in July/early August and will have a suggested retail price of $24.99. A far cry from what people are paying for these on eBay! Better hurry and sell your originals now before the bottom drops out on that market.

The #1350 kit is due out late August/early September and will have a suggested retail price of $49.99.

Ltvscout
05-29-2007, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the extra input on the kits, Roguepink. Always appreciated.

Eagle3
05-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Sounds like pretty reasonable prices to me. Man, this is going to be worse than waiting for the Solar Launch controller release back in 1972. :D :rolleyes:

Rocketking
05-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, I still have the K-50 kit with a priced face card of $5.25 (?!?) as well as the #1973 Interceptor II kit (Not a Golden Oldie, by any means, but was an earlier attempt to revisit this iconic kit) in my collection. If there IS anyone desperate for these two...

TOUGH! I'm holding onto them... BOTH!

Nya Nya!!!

ghrocketman
05-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Man am I glad I did not pay the auction price for an original kit now that these are being re-issued.
My original that I built back in 1982 is getting a little thread-bare and really needs a re-build.
I mite just not do that now that both of these kits will be selling for reasonable prices.

Eagle3
05-29-2007, 11:39 AM
I've got an original that's really long in the tooth, one that's mint in the bag, and I'm just finishing up a clone. I still can't wait to get a couple each of these!

roguepink
05-29-2007, 03:28 PM
See the following links for my personal photos of the Interceptor E. The color is off, but is base white in person (poor photo lighting)

Top View (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RoguePink/Estes/DSCF0001.jpg)
Bottom View (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RoguePink/Estes/DSCF0004.jpg)
Nose Detail (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RoguePink/Estes/DSCF0010.jpg)
Wing Detail (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RoguePink/Estes/DSCF0006.jpg)

All photos should be considered copyright. Ask before you publish/copy/steal.

Quasar
05-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Apparently, I'm the only one here who isn't overjoyed about the new Interceptor. With me, they're too late. Like most businesses, the bigger they get, the slower they are to respond to customer demand. The Interceptor has brought big bucks since the first one showed up on eBay years ago and during this time, what has Estes given us? One forgettable design after another. About six years ago, I bought a built, beat-up Interceptor for parts. The cost was $30. I recently bought Excelsior decals for $12. I've already spent about all I'm going to spend for an Interceptor. The only way I'll buy the new one is if I can get it from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. The same goes for future "bring-backs" that are easily cloneable. Don't get me wrong. For the rocketeers who don't already have an Interceptor, I'm really happy that you'll have a chance to get one at a reasonable price. But for me, I already have most of the parts to clone all of my favorite old designs that I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Estes to bring back.

Mike Fields

Gus
05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Roguepink,

The paint job and decals are AWESOME! Truly truly beautiful and a wonderful enhancement to one of Estes finest creations. What a legacy to leave behind as you move on to other things. You did yourself really proud.

I'm pretty sure I speak for a lot of other avid rocketeers when I say thankyou for treating this icon like a beautiful gem.

Leo
05-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Hope it's okay that I slightly fixed the pictures.

All I can say is WOW :eek:

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/InterceptorE_1.jpg
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/InterceptorE_2.jpg
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/InterceptorE_3.jpg
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/forums/InterceptorE_4.jpg

roguepink
05-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna miss it.

JRThro
05-29-2007, 05:24 PM
For the rocketeers who don't already have an Interceptor, I'm really happy that you'll have a chance to get one at a reasonable price. But for me, I already have most of the parts to clone all of my favorite old designs that I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Estes to bring back.

Mike Fields
I don't already have an Interceptor, so thanks!
;)

Eagle3
05-29-2007, 05:39 PM
I can see your point Mike. There are a lot of kits I've cloned due to the lack of a re-release or clone kit (i.e. Der Red Max). If any of them were re-released now I probably wouldn't buy one to build (collect?, um probably, i.e. Der Red Max). The Interceptor is different at least to me. It was on the cover of my first catalog and one of my top three favorite kits. I'll buy these.

John Brohm
05-29-2007, 08:57 PM
See the following links for my personal photos of the Interceptor E. The color is off, but is base white in person (poor photo lighting)

Top View (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RoguePink/Estes/DSCF0001.jpg)
Bottom View (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RoguePink/Estes/DSCF0004.jpg)
Nose Detail (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RoguePink/Estes/DSCF0010.jpg)
Wing Detail (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RoguePink/Estes/DSCF0006.jpg)

All photos should be considered copyright. Ask before you publish/copy/steal.

I like the wing detail photo; I think this one displays the finishing techniques the best. Very nice; very nice indeed. Looking forward to the kits.

I hope that Estes can keep the classic re-releases coming; I'm glad to see the company make this effort.

John Brohm
05-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Apparently, I'm the only one here who isn't overjoyed about the new Interceptor. With me, they're too late. Like most businesses, the bigger they get, the slower they are to respond to customer demand. The Interceptor has brought big bucks since the first one showed up on eBay years ago and during this time, what has Estes given us? One forgettable design after another. About six years ago, I bought a built, beat-up Interceptor for parts. The cost was $30. I recently bought Excelsior decals for $12. I've already spent about all I'm going to spend for an Interceptor. The only way I'll buy the new one is if I can get it from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. The same goes for future "bring-backs" that are easily cloneable. Don't get me wrong. For the rocketeers who don't already have an Interceptor, I'm really happy that you'll have a chance to get one at a reasonable price. But for me, I already have most of the parts to clone all of my favorite old designs that I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Estes to bring back.

Mike Fields

Mike;

I quite understand your point, and obviously the approach you describe makes great economic sense. I completely respect your logic, especially as I also have a few clones myself, and given the dearth of alternatives in the past, often there has been little choice but to clone. But consider: it's hard to hold Estes to account in recent years for failing to respect its model rocketry legacy/heritage, and then fail to positively respond when they do make the attempt. It's hard to argue that we should have it both ways.

For me, not enough time has passed: it's still Estes, and it's still an Interceptor. eBay, Moldin' Oldies, clones, Excelsior Decals, and JimZ notwithstanding (all of which I've actively supported), it's still an Interceptor, it's still a model rocket icon, and it's still made by Estes. Maybe I'm done in by my sense of nostalgia (and perhaps that makes me susceptible), but it's certain I'll buy a couple. I won't be alone, and I'm hoping that Estes' own market research has come to the same conclusion. I'm also hoping our commercial behavior as a market segment will provide the impetus to Estes to consider further classic kit re-releases.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Mike Fields

I'd say it's obvious that you're in the minority. I haven't been all that thrilled with the Estes offerings since I returned in 2001, but I applaud the fact that they seem to be responding to market pressure and reissuing the rockets that we've always wanted to see back in the stores. They'll still get my motor business (unless something else better comes along) and I'm sure that I'll buy one or two each of anything that registers on my cool meter. These two kits definitely register. :cool:

Gus
05-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Roguepink,

Really silly question but when you did your builds, since the kits aren't in production yet, how did you do the decals?

Are they inkjets or lasers? And if so, how did you prepare them prior to use?

They look absolutely incredible. Anything on yours not make it into the production version?

And by the way, can you help us out a bit with the pilot's name? All I can make out from the photo is "Pilot Capt I. xxxfly"? :p

Daniel Runyon
05-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Apparently, I'm the only one here who isn't overjoyed about the new Interceptor.

Nah, you're not alone... I'm not excited about it for myself either, I'm saving that for the Saturn V that's surely to goodness going to be coming! But I do understand that the Interceptor touches the nostalgia nerve pretty good, and Roguepink's AWESOME reworking of the details was a super nice (and quite significant) touch... indeed a fine way to leave the building (I just watched some Elvis clips on YouTube)! I also think the upscale E version was a fantastic move for those who dig the design. I would personally be more into it if the decals were more NASA oriented than USAF, but that's just my own leanings... I've said it before, I don't think the Interceptor sucks or anything, it's just doesn't stimulate my personal tingle switch.

I would imagine though, that this particular release will be remembered fondly for a long time to come as one of the most significant milestones in modern Estes history... 30 years from now people will be buying the Roguepink era decals from Phred to build clones of THIS!

roguepink
05-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Bit of clarification:

The Interceptor in standard version is a DIRECT re-release. No special paint, original decal art, etc. Aside from some new tool, it is not changing in any significant way. If you wanted an original Interceptor, Estes is giving you what you want.

My detailed paint is for the Interceptor E version, the scale-up. (150% to be clear). This paint will appear on the packaging and sales slips. The decals will appear as seen in the photos. I personally laid out the artwork and have approved the production decals. You will get three large sheets of decals. Even if you don't do all the pearlescent and weathering work, the decals will make for an impressive model. Again, these are not just a scale-up of the original decals, but are all new artwork.

Gus -- I have an ALPS printer. It uses dry resin ink ribbons. It prints at 1200 dpi, can print white, metals, and solid spot colors, and has a clear finish ribbon. It's also out of production, is no longer serviced by the manufacturer, and is slowly going out on me. You can find them on e-Bay.

Leo
05-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Well, to put it mildly I have to say I'm quiet excited :)

To bring the standard kit as a one to one copy of the original was a perfect decision. It caters to the oldies like me and to the younguns that would not know the difference between the early 70's version :) Just shows that the Interceptor is timeless.

To bring out an upscale "improved" version is icing on the cake.

EchoVictor
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Count me in as another old BAR that's excited about this news.

I've got an original K-50 that never got finished. I will re-paint and decal it, then fly it a couple of times before I retire it. I'll be buying a new one of each size so that I can fly the snot out of 'em.

I'm also looking forward to having a new cockpit-style nose cone readily available for some clones (Vindicator and USS Pleiades come to mind) as well as some custom designs.

Who ever thought we'd be able to say "Interceptor Kit-Bash!" with ease?

Later,
EV

roguepink
05-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Hmmm.... clear vac-form replacement canopy for the Interceptor E? Cast resin cockpit and pilot figure? Assorted cast resin surface detailing? I have some work to do.

Daniel Runyon
05-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Hmmm.... clear vac-form replacement canopy for the Interceptor E? Cast resin cockpit and pilot figure? Assorted cast resin surface detailing? I have some work to do.

Ahhhh... see, you need to start yourself a little business making parts for folks. I'd love it if you starting home brewing some cool noses, canopies and other details, not to mention decals of all sorts and making them available to all of us... any possibility of that happening?

roguepink
05-30-2007, 11:39 PM
BWA-HA-HA-HA... oh, that was funny. Maybe if I suddenly come across a large stash of time, I could get something going. Seriously, though, I wish I could start something like that, but I don't have the time, energy, or resources right now.

It's definitely worth keeping in mind for the future.

Daniel Runyon
05-31-2007, 02:05 AM
Perhaps you could make some molds and allow an existing company to manufacture and sell em... sorta letting out the things your potential holds that Estes wasn't interested in, but that the rocketry community would eat up!

Either way, I hope you'll keep hanging around and let us soak up some more of that awesome work you're capable of... Rocket Doctor mentioned your talent many times, and I would imagine that Estes would have been smart to tap that more than they do (soon to be did).

Do you have any designs that you presented that were turned down, or any that you just kept to yourself without trying to get them added to the lineup?

Eagle3
05-31-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm also looking forward to having a new cockpit-style nose cone readily available for some clones (Vindicator and USS Pleiades come to mind) as well as some custom designs.

xactly! I may get to work onthe 74 Part Catalog dual glider sooner than I thought!

Who ever thought we'd be able to say "Interceptor Kit-Bash!" with ease?

:eek: :cool: The tail cone and wings pods will lend themselves to all kinds of cool designs.

propbeany
05-31-2007, 07:48 AM

Just in case some of us, or me, want to add more detail and may have some after-market scale model parts such as resin cockpits, pilot figures, ejection seats, surface details...

What scale, roughly, would you say the 'E' version is?

Upon further reflection, this could potentially turn into a 'wild-weasel' mod...

Eagle3
05-31-2007, 07:52 AM

Upon further reflection, this could potentially turn into a 'wild-weasel' mod...

I always thought the only thing the Interceptor was missing was a couple under wing AGM-78's. :D

Leo
05-31-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey, any chance those micro Quest engines would fit for use in an ejection seat on an e-powered Interceptor? :D

sandman
05-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey, any chance those micro Quest engines would fit for use in an ejection seat on an e-powered Interceptor? :D

Now THAT is thinking outside the box! ;)

Leo
05-31-2007, 08:28 AM
You know, just in case the Estes E engine catos :D

Ltvscout
05-31-2007, 08:35 AM
You know, just in case the Estes E engine catos :D
Are you launching those old X code E15's again Leo? :D

Rocketking
05-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Say, RP, as I understand the 'terms of employment' agreement at 'E', there used to be a section stating that a former employee, after leaving 'E', cannot work in the modroc field for 'X' years. Was that still active when you went in? Just curious.

Seems to be a mean trick, to my way of thinking...

sandman
05-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Say, RP, as I understand the 'terms of employment' agreement at 'E', there used to be a section stating that a former employee, after leaving 'E', cannot work in the modroc field for 'X' years. Was that still active when you went in? Just curious.

Seems to be a mean trick, to my way of thinking...

From "experience" I can tell you that those "non-competition" rules in an employees cantract will NOT hold up in court!

PaulK
05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Here is another BAR glad that Estes appears has listened to the rocket community by re-releasing the K50. I do have mixed feelings, since my original K50 and recently built clone will lose some of their Ooh-Ahh appeal at launches, but that won't stop me from buying 1 of each (at least). I wonder, was this the direct result of the Estes forum feedback, or did other market research factor in too (perhaps our very own YORF :) )?

The paint detail on the E version, RP, is fantastic! Of course, it is way beyond my capabilities, but thanks for describing how you accomplished it, maybe someday I will try stuff like that.

Things are clearly moving in the right direction at Estes - a detailed scale kit with the D-Region Tomahawk, the Der Red Max and now K50 re-release, what ever could be next? The real question is, now that these kits are being re-released, are they still Old Rockets? :confused:

The_Forgotten
05-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Now, if Estes can just jump start their blog website....

or at least get their forum back up and running.

This is sweet, none theless- I wasn't around when they came out the first time, and that upscale has my name written on it. :D

roguepink
05-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Actually, the name on the "E" is J. Pfaffly, the engineer behind the scale-up. ;)

rokitflite
05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Honestly I was never a fan of the Interceptor. Probably because I bought an original one in 1979 and became totally overwhelmed with all of the balsa and decals. Rougepink's stupidly gorgeous finish on the E version is beautiful beyond words!!! I will be buying at least half a dozen of each because well, thats just me and my sickness!

Gus
06-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Roguepink,

You mentioned the engineer on the scaleup.

I'm really curious. In this day and age how do things like the upscale nosecone and finpods get created? Is it all CAD engineers? Or does some modelmaker like yourself sculpt the parts which are then made into molds?

And to redo the original Interceptor kit, were old molds still available or were they recreated?

Inquiring minds want to know. :o

roguepink
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
All the plastic work is done in 3D CAD software now. We have an in-house 3D printer for prototype testing and that's where I get to do some work. The sample parts need to be cleaned up (the printer has limited resolution and uses disposable support material while the layers cure) and often is used to make molds and castings. Sometimes we artists will hand-tool a part and hand it to the engineers to build a CAD model. That's how we determine the type of detail that gets included. That happens more in the airplane side of the business these days.

As for the Interceptor, we had original parts that the engineer used for his new CAD drawings. The Big E (with regards to the CVN-65) is a simple CAD scale-up to 150%.

But I still get in plenty of time with the lathe, mill, and my trusty moto-tool.

rocketguy101
06-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Mark, if you are reading this...

I think this would make a great article on bringing back a classic with the plus of an upscale. If Estes would agree, I think a behind-the-scenes peek at how this came about, with shots of RP doing his magic would be really, really cool!

RP: do you think Estes mgmt would agree to a limited access article? I know they probably don't want details of the tooling let out, but a close-up shot of a die would be interesting (at least to an engineering geek like me!!!)

JRThro
06-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Mark, if you are reading this...

I think this would make a great article on bringing back a classic with the plus of an upscale. If Estes would agree, I think a behind-the-scenes peek at how this came about, with shots of RP doing his magic would be really, really cool!

RP: do you think Estes mgmt would agree to a limited access article? I know they probably don't want details of the tooling let out, but a close-up shot of a die would be interesting (at least to an engineering geek like me!!!)
What a great idea!!

snaquin
06-01-2007, 06:19 PM
The #1350 kit is due out late August/early September and will have a suggested retail price of $49.99.

I don't mind shelling out the $49.99 for a kit that size. Can't say why but I never owned an original K-50 version, but I always wanted one.

The #1350 with the slotted body tube and reinforcing strips for the weak points looks very appealing to me.

Roguepink your Interceptor E looks awesome .....

roguepink
06-03-2007, 02:21 AM
There is talk of some short demo videos for finishing techniques to go on the Estes website. I don't have more that this right now, it's only an idea we've been tossing around the office. I'm intentionally pushing new levels of detail into the hobby kits. I want to challenge people to expand their skills. What I do can be done by anyone willing to put in the time to learn, practice, and master.

Lay down the mask. Paint. Peel. Move. Paint. Peel. Move. Paint... etc.

Initiator001
06-07-2007, 08:35 PM
It figures.

I'm away from my computer for three weeks (Vacation) and something cool like his happens. At least I spent some of that as quality time hassling Rokitflite. :D

I can't wait to pick each of these models up! :)

Bob

JRThro
06-07-2007, 10:55 PM
At least I spent some of that as quality time hassling Rokitflite. :D

Sounds like time well spent!
:D :eek:

LeeR
06-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Perhaps I missed it, but is there a picture on this forum of the new Interceptors (other than small thumbnails)?

I missed the original Interceptor -- along with a bunch of stuff that came out when I was more interested in fast cars and women ... or was that cars and fast women? Anyway, I digress...

I bought a set of plastic replacement parts for the Interceptor about 10 years ago, and it was on my list to build, since Tango Papa and probably others sell decals for it.

But the fact that Estes is releasing the original, and an upscale, is simply fantastic! It gets a little depressing seeing a bunch of RTFs at Walmart, and even at the hobby stores.

All us adults with cash will reward Estes and place multiple orders. I'm going to start spreading the word. Unless they are limited release, and then I'll buy what I want, and tell my friends later.

My hats off to the new team at Estes that is doing some really great things, just when some of us were going to give up on them.

:)

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Perhaps I missed it, but is there a picture on this forum of the new Interceptors (other than small thumbnails)?

I miised the original Interceptor -- along with a bunch of stuff that came out when I was more interested in fast cars and women ... or was that cars and fast women? Anyway, I digress...

I bought a set of plastic replacement parts for the Interceptor about 10 years ago, and it was on my list to build, since Tang Papa and probably others sell decals for it.

But the fact that Estes is releasing the original, and an upscale, is simply fantastic! It gets alittle depressing seeing a bunch of RTFs at Walmart, and even at the hobby stores.

All us adults with cash will reward Estes and place multiple orders. I'm going to start spreading the word. Unless they are limited release, and then I'll buy what I want, and tell my friends later.

My hats off to the new team at Estes that is doing some really great things, just when some of us were going to give up on them.

Back on page five of this thread.

Ltvscout
06-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Those are pics of the upscale Interceptor that Roguepink built for Estes. I don't have any larger pics of the standard size Interceptor. Maybe Roguepink will be kind enough to post photos of the original size model he built for Estes as well.

LeeR
06-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Apparently, I'm the only one here who isn't overjoyed about the new Interceptor.
Mike Fields

Yes, I think you are the only one. Come on! Why slam Estes now for the "sins" of the old Estes? (And frankly, as much as many of us despise the new crap on the shelves, it probably is what kept them in the model rocketry business over the past 10 years or so.)

We all know things are different for kids. I grew up with the space program, so model rocketry was huge (and computers/video games were the stuff of sci-fi movies and Star Trek ...)

Thanks goodness that this apparently new/young new crop of employees are trying to introduce products that us "old timers" want! You know they are not bringing this out for the kid that just got one of the Chinese RTFs last month, and is ready to "step up" to something more difficult.

LeeR
06-24-2007, 11:32 PM

Bill,

Thanks for pointing out the page where the "HUGE" Interceptor pictures are located, and certainly were temporarily missing when I read this thread ...

And also roguepink's links to his originals ...

:o

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Bill,

Thanks for pointing out the page where the "HUGE" Interceptor pictures are located, and certainly were temporarily missing when I read this thread ...

And also roguepink's links to his originals ...

:o

:D ;)

Rocket Doctor
07-09-2007, 08:53 AM
The Rocket Doctor kept saying that great things were coming soon, and, the Rocket Doctor was right!!!

Very exciting things yet to come and the Doctor knows..........believe me, when I tell you that!!!

The identity soon to be revealed.........stay tuned.......

Royatl
07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Ah, so the Rocket Doctor does exist beyond Estes...

Welcome.

So, was there already a "Multipad" registered here so that you had to append a "2"?

Or is the "2" significant? maybe a new line of products for rocket clubs? heheh...

dwmzmm
07-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Ah, so the Rocket Doctor does exist beyond Estes...

Welcome.

So, was there already a "Multipad" registered here so that you had to append a "2"?

Or is the "2" significant? maybe a new line of products for rocket clubs? heheh...

I was wondering the same thing, too....

Rocket Doctor
07-09-2007, 12:31 PM
NO, no hidden messages here, I have an original multipad, there were only about 100 produced, and, I know of only two others.

No Forum and No Doctor !!!!
When the Forum left, so did the Doctor, what can I say.
As I have said all along, great things to come, and, you know for a fact about the two bring backs, the 1250 and 1350.

Thanks for all of your support on the Forum.......

JRThro
07-09-2007, 03:30 PM
As I have said all along, great things to come, and, you know for a fact about the two bring backs, the 1250 and 1350.
So more bringbacks are in the offing? This year?

Rocket Doctor
07-09-2007, 04:12 PM
The Rocket Doctor is NO longer associated with Estes, when the Forum stopped, so did the Rocket Doctor.

If you were a regular on the Forum, I mentioned over and over again, that there would be alot of exciting bering backs.

Now, that the news is out about the Interceptors 1250 and the "E" 1350, this was just the beginning.

Now, I don't know what the plans are for additional bring backs, maybe roughpink can fill you in.
RD

stefanj
07-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Can anyone confirm the rumor than Gleda Estes has been rehired to hand-roll BT-30 tubes for one of the bring-backs?

Rocket Doctor
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM
WOW

I don't know who started that one, but, I can say for sure, that would never happen.

I tried to have the original K - 1 Scout brought back, no way !!!
BT - 30 tubes were aquired, and I have those, and I made several prototypes, that is far as that went.

Mrs Estes is very busy........that I know for sure as well.

RD

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-09-2007, 09:08 PM
WOW

I don't know who started that one, but, I can say for sure, that would never happen.

I'm guessing it was Stefan. :rolleyes: :D

Tau Zero
07-09-2007, 11:30 PM
The Rocket Doctor kept saying that great things were coming soon, and, the Rocket Doctor was right!!!

Very exciting things yet to come and the Doctor knows..........believe me, when I tell you that!!!

The identity soon to be revealed.........stay tuned.......(pretending to be mystified) And so the Rocket Doctor is really... "multipad2?"

I wouldn't have been confused if it hadn't been for that silly hat you're wearing. :rolleyes: Or *not* wearing, as may be the case... ;) :D :p

Cheers,

dwmzmm
07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Some of you guys may remember when the Estes Forum was running full steam, the
Rocket Doctor asked questions relating to the Estes Multi-Pad sold for a short time. I
responded that the model rocket club I was a charter member "back in those days,"
the Ark-La-Tex Model Rocket Club (NAR Section # 284, Bossier City, LA) had purchased
one for club use and NAR Sanctioned contests.

So, maybe, just maybe "multipad2" could be the Rocket Doctor afterall!!

foose4string
07-10-2007, 01:33 AM
The Rocket Doctor is NO longer associated with Estes, when the Forum stopped, so did the Rocket Doctor.

If you were a regular on the Forum, I mentioned over and over again, that there would be alot of exciting bering backs.

Now, that the news is out about the Interceptors 1250 and the "E" 1350, this was just the beginning.

Now, I don't know what the plans are for additional bring backs, maybe roughpink can fill you in.
RD

Interesting that Roguepink left at nearly the same time. Any correlation between both of you leaving Estes at the same time? Was it an amicable split when you left?

Carl@Semroc
07-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Is RD = MR2 = Ken in NJ??

Are the BT-30's spiral or convolute?

stefanj
07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Are the BT-30's spiral or convolute?

I was just joking about Gleda rolling the BT-30s.

She's too busy running the 2008 Estes catalog through her sewing machine.

rokitflite
07-15-2007, 01:21 AM

The identity soon to be revealed.........stay tuned.......

Oh good Lord. Are you waiting for another "Guess who I am post to be started here?" :rolleyes:

Rocket Doctor
07-15-2007, 06:38 AM
The Rocket Doctor is not looking for another "Guess who I am" which, was not started by the Doctor.

The Rocket Doctor is no longer associated with Estes, that is the bottom line.
The
Rocket Doctor tried his best to make changes, for, all of us, now, look where the RD is now.
Instead of being so critical, show your support for me!!!!!

Don't assume anything......fact are fact, and, eventually,you will see for yourself.....
Don't make something out of nothing.
RD

Rocket Doctor
07-15-2007, 06:46 AM
I haven't heard that roguepink left Estes, is this factual?

Rocket Doctors was a consultant for Estes, for many years, after the Forum left, so did the Rocket Doctor.

If, roguepink also left, I don't know why, I will have to check it out.

It was by his choice though.
The RD tried to make changes, but, hit road block along the way, al to benefit all of you, I guess that is why the RD is no longer the RD.

The BT-30 tubes are slightly larger in diameter than the BT-20 and are convolute, I have a box of samples.

Wishing everyone who visited the Froum a great flying season.

RD

scigs30
07-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Road bocks? from who? I am so happy that Estes is bringing back the Der Red Max and Interceptor. I will buy these kits and continue to support Estes. I am a fan of most of the pre-1985 rockets and still trying to finish my collection. Last count was at 155 pre-1985 Estes rockets. I plan on building all these kits before I leave this planet.

Royatl
07-15-2007, 10:18 PM
I haven't heard that roguepink left Estes, is this factual?

RD

here's the thread on the Rocketry Forum:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=36148

LeeR
07-15-2007, 11:01 PM
I plan on building all these kits before I leave this planet.

Me too, but if the ship I'm on has a workshop, I'll build some on the trip ...

Seriously, though, I look at all the old kits I have, and all the ones I'd like to get, and my current rate of build, and things are looking grim to get it done. I've gotta get my wife to start buying lottery tix again. That way, I could retire, build rockets, or maybe even dump a bunch of money starting up another "Cloning the Oldies" business.

sandman
07-16-2007, 04:30 AM
That whole situation with RD and the Estes Forum ended in bad taste.

No explination, nothing. They just took their ball and went home.

It could have been handled better.

cas2047
07-16-2007, 10:03 AM
That whole situation with RD and the Estes Forum ended in bad taste.

No explination, nothing. They just took their ball and went home.

It could have been handled better.

My sentiments exactly. Well said.

scigs30
07-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I agree that Estes could have ended it more professional. There is no communication from Estes to its customers. No updates on there websites, no news letters. It appears that Estes doesn't care if they have loyal customers.

Daniel Runyon
07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
The Rocket Doctor is no longer associated with Estes, that is the bottom line. The Rocket Doctor tried his best to make changes, for, all of us, now, look where the RD is now. Instead of being so critical, show your support for me!!!!!

Did they fire you for trying to urge them to do things we want? If so, shame on them. But apparently, shame on them either way... the way they seem to be operating is not very good to begin with.

No company being run right would sit there with new products but no updates on their website that shows em. They also wouldn't have taken so long to put out a PDF catalog, and they would also make some way for you to buy their products from their website, even if not selling directly. Heck, they could put affiliate links to their products on Amazon and make a percentage of each purchase even beyond what they made selling the product to Amazon to begin with.

And from the things I've heard about Barry Tunick it just strikes me as a company run from the wrong angle altogether. Some folks don't even know how to be greedy properly!

You're soul is probably better off out from under them anyway, Artist Formerly Known As Rocket Doctor! Maybe now you can feel more freedom to share your own model rocket pursuits with us. I would love to see some pics of your rockets and rocket stuff, and anything you'd care to share. I really enjoy your personality and think you were a wonderful voice for Estes during your time on their forum.

Carl@Semroc
07-18-2007, 01:08 PM
The Rocket Doctor is not looking for another "Guess who I am" which, was not started by the Doctor.

RDI did not mean to do that! Ken Montayne signed Leo's Guestbook (http://www.leo.nutz.de/Guestbook.php) and seemed to be speaking for the Rocket Doctor and since 43 years and your birthdate seemed to be in the right ballpark.... :D

Anyway, what you helped accomplish, and tried to further accomplish, with Estes was well taken by the hobby rocket community and us old-timers!

Rocket Doctor
07-19-2007, 02:42 PM
iI don';t want to start a guessing game again, I'm not this Scott or any other Scott.

I'm the real RD, no longer associated with Estes, like I mentioned before, when the Forum went, so did the Rocket Doctor.

As far as the Forum goes, as far as I know, it will not be back, to get further information, you would have to contact Estes direct.

And, like the Rocket Doctor kept saying good things would be coming along, and they did with the Interceptors, which, the RD worked on the instructions and built prototypes.

There are still more to come , but, I'm out of the loop and cannot comment.

Alkso, it was mentioned that roguepink no longer worked for Estes, this is not true, rougepink is still there and very busy and a friend.

The marketing manager is no longer there, Tom, that is the only big change to happen.

Estes is working very hard on new and bring backs, just give them a chance !!!!!!

RD

Rocket Doctor
07-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, Carl has figured it out !!!

I have been in the hobby for 43 years, doing all kinds of projects, many for Estes.
I had a very active 4-H rocket club in New Jersey called the Wayne Skyhawks.

We made a commercial going back to 1972 for the Hobby Industry of America promoting model rockets.

As the moderator of the Estes Forum, my first Forum, I tried to bring to all fellow rocketeers something beneficial to all.

We didn't need to be so serious, just be ouselves, we covered many topics, and recived alot of input.

Whatever I said to you regarding forwarding the information along I did, and, where did it get me, off the Forum, the Forum shut down, and now, I'm not associated with Estes anymore.

My biggest concern was reissuing the fin alignment guide, I tried myself to bring it back on my own, I contacted a metal stamping company, but, unless I had diagrams, I was not going anywhere.

I tired my best for all of you, I cannot speak for why the Forum was shut down, only Estes can answer that.

I do hope that I brought alittle humor and news to all of you, as well as news that could be printed.

It was hard to sit back knowing what was on the horizon, wanting to tell all, but, couldn't.

I guess my only fault was caring so much about the hobby and trying to make improvements along the way.

I've seen alot and done alot in 43 years in the hobby.

For those of you who get LAUNCH, keep track, you just never know......
Best wishes to all of you.

RD

foose4string
07-19-2007, 03:05 PM
iI don';t want to start a guessing game again, I'm not this Scott or any other Scott.

I'm the real RD, no longer associated with Estes, like I mentioned before, when the Forum went, so did the Rocket Doctor.

As far as the Forum goes, as far as I know, it will not be back, to get further information, you would have to contact Estes direct.

And, like the Rocket Doctor kept saying good things would be coming along, and they did with the Interceptors, which, the RD worked on the instructions and built prototypes.

Alkso, it was mentioned that roguepink no longer worked for Estes, this is not true, rougepink is still there and very busy and a friend.

The marketing manager is no longer there, Tom, that is the only big change to happen.

Estes is working very hard on new and bring backs, just give them a chance !!!!!!

RD

Who said anything about you being Scott? I think I missed something. Carl linked to a guestbook page where someone named Ken Montanye stated they been around rocketry for 43 years, and refered to themselves as Rocket Doctor. Not you? If you want to reserve the right to keep your name private, I can respect that. I don't see what the big deal is though.

Either way, thanks for going to bat for us while you were at Estes. Sorry you met resistance along the way. And thank you for what you were able to accomplish in a short time. It's really too bad they pulled the plug on you like that, seemed like customer relations were taking a turn for the better. Alas, it was not meant to be. Luckily we do have "old timers" like you and Carl, who strive to keep the true hobbiest happy. If Carl(and other's like him) accomplishes even a fraction of what he'd like to in the coming years, then Estes will start listening to us, guaranteed.

RD, Roguepink said himself he was leaving Estes and moving to St. Louis and was looking for a replacement. Did that change?

edit: I see you typed a response the same time I was.

conleyt
07-19-2007, 03:12 PM
RD, Roguepink said himself he was leaving Estes and moving to St. Louis and was looking for a replacement. Did that change?

I was just getting ready to say that. He announced he was leaving Estes in this thread: http://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=36149

Tom C.

cas2047
07-19-2007, 03:36 PM

RD

I'm a little confused...

Roguepink said here: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=36149&highlight=roguepink that he was leaving Estes. Did he change his mind?

Also Roguepink said (somewhere) that the Estes forum would probably be coming back eventually, that Estes was going through some "growing pains" with the forum.

Rocket Doctor
07-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I ainquired today, and, I was told that he was thinking about leaving for reasons not connected with Estes, family matters.

I cannot speak for him.

As far as the mention of Scott, it was mentioned, that is why I brought it up.
If roguepink does leave Estes, that will mean a huge hole in the R & D department, he was very good at what he did.

We keep our identity private at times for obvious reasons,but, since the RD is no longer connected to Estes, why not reveal it.

Also, when the Forum was up and running, it was interesting to see all of the guesses of who RD actually was.

I think at times I was the bat boy, swinging many bats for the benefit of the hobby,not bragging though, trying to do my best for the benefit of the hobby and my fellow rocketeers.

I do hope that Estes celebarates it's 50th anniversary, June 12, 2008. Many things were planned, i just don't know if they will happen.

Like I mentioned before, the Forum was all new to me, and I tried my best to accomidate all of your and I do appreciate all the input that was posted, which, I did most certainly pass along.

If I could only hit the lottery, then, my dream would come true.........you fill in the blanks.

Best regrades to all my fellow rocketeers......

RD

Rocket Doctor
07-19-2007, 03:49 PM
I can only go by what I was told, I have sent an email to roguepink and I am waiting for a reply.

Roguepink has done alot for the benefit of Estes, and if he leaves, that would not be a good thing.

I guess things change, and, like I mentioned before, only roguepink can make an update to these speculations.

dwmzmm
07-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey, multipad2 (Rocket Doctor), if it hasn't been said yet, welcome to the YORF!! At least
we now know you're ok. I personally felt you had a great thing going over at the Estes
Forum, and had wished it had continued.

At least, I'm sure there's some currently at Estes (and the other modroc manufacturers)
who surf this and the other active modroc forums to gauge what's "in" and "out" as far as
consumers go.

Again, welcome aboard and we all appreciated what you'd tried to accomplish for us. BTW,
I just deleted the Estes Forum website from my Favorite Bookmarks since there was no use
hanging on...

cas2047
07-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I can only go by what I was told, I have sent an email to roguepink and I am waiting for a reply.

Roguepink has done alot for the benefit of Estes, and if he leaves, that would not be a good thing.

I guess things change, and, like I mentioned before, only roguepink can make an update to these speculations.

Thanks and hopefully Roguepink will weigh in at some point with his perspective. It still baffles me as to why Estes just downed the forum without a word to anyone.

I can only speak for myself, but the way they chose to handle the shutdown left me feeling used.

I'll still buy the Estes bring-backs if I like them, and I will still collect the old kits when possible, but that loyalty that I've afforded Estes since being a kid is gone. I'll throw as much of my business as possible to the vendors who jumped in to fill the void when Estes devolved into being a company that produces mostly plastic toys made in China.

If Estes does do a complete 180 and reverts back to being an innovative model rocket company that cares about their customers they will have to earn my loyalty back one transaction at a time.

Sorry for the long rant. Just my humble opinion.

Rocket Doctor
07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Rougepink is NOT leaving Estes, I had an email from him and he will be staying !!!

As far as Estes goes, don't feel that you were being used, when I (Rocket Doctor) responded to inquiries, I was sincere, and, I did my best to pass along the concerns of everyone, and , fought for change.

Now, the Rocket Doctor is on the outside looking in, what does that tell you.

So, before you are so judgemental, focus on positive things coming out of Estes.

I can't speculate on anything anymore, I'm not involved in decisions and the Forum is closed, and not by my choice, I was just as surprised as everyone else that the Forum was shut down.

I spent 12 hours and 6 minutes on the forum, and don't forget the six minutes for the benefit of all of you out there.

And, through my efforts, lok whre it got me !!!!!!!!

I think that a more positive approach to Estes would be most beneficial, rather, than a negative one.

If I ever hit the lottery, then, you will see changes.....fill in the bottom line.

RD

Ltvscout
07-19-2007, 10:18 PM
RD,

Besides handling the forum, can you tell us what else you did for Estes?

Were you actually employed (paid) by them and if so, how long were you with them?

Rocket Doctor
07-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I was a consultant for Estes, not an employee.
I did trade shows, and I wrote many of the instructions for kits, designed kits , such as the Baby Bertha, 36 D Squared, Deluxe Supeer Shot Screw Machine, Converter, Screamin MiMi and the Estes No 2 Skywriter.

I would like to mention, that the Skywriter was not a copy of a design of the month entry many years ago, look at the two of them.

I had also designed about 25 others, that didn't make it through, and, I had three more scheduled to be produced this year,but was cancelled.

I put my heart and sole in the Forum, and, was just as surprised that it was cancelled as anyone else.

I did many other project for Estes as well, can't go into details here.

I suggested the twist connector for the Mean Machine, due to it's length.

The Forum from my perspective was sincere, as far as the Rocket doctor goes,this was serious business, and, I tried to make changes, then, the Forum ceased.

I cannot speak for why the Forum is gone, only Estes can answer that.

Now, I have moved on to other rocketry projects, look at future LAUNCH magazines, that;s all I can say at this point.

Having been in the hobby for 43 years, I have built and lost many rockets, and, I do have a good collection of vintage kits, some enerjet motors and some mini max motors, as well as rock-a-chute and other older Estes motors.

I had a very active 4 - H club called the Wayne Skyhawks, we participated in a TV commercial for the Hobby Industry of American gong back around 1972.

One of my goals was to see the fin kwik, metal fin alignment guide produced again, and, I also considered bringing it back myself, that is how much I wanted to see it's return.

Rougepink is a friend of mine, and , he is still at Estes, he isn't going anywhere.

So, here is alittle insight into the Rocket Doctor.

I hope that I have answered your questions.

Leo
07-20-2007, 04:00 AM
Boy, I have been absent for a little while and now just continued reading this thread.

It actually is making me a bit sentimental, more in a nice way.

It's really weird how a toy company can sorta have such influence in a persons life and I think I'm not only talking about my own.
Although I'm not a big fan of the "modern" Estes I do commend them for bringing out some nice vintage kits.

It is really a shame how the forum was handeled with the shut down. Estes have made a big mistake. More and more well known companies are only now starting to realize the importance of bringen information to the costumer over the internet through media like internet forums. BMW's M division is one good example.

That being said i'm very happy that Ken and others have found their way here and I also want to welcome them. There knowledge and experiences will serve this particular forum very well.

I would like to thank Ken personally for arranging that the new 2007 catalogs where sent to me in Germany. It was like in the good old days and made this 44 year old feel like a kid again :)

Rocket Doctor
07-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Hello Leo

You had the exclusive as to who the Rocket Doctor was, posted on your wonderful web site.

I also tried to send to you some rings for your birdie, but, i guess they got lost inbetween Penrose and Germany, these were from my personal collection.

Having been in the hobby for so long, it kind of grows on you, and, as the Rocket Doctor, I tried to bring some changes for the better.

But,my efforts fell on deaf ears, unfortunately, but, I certainly tried.

It very unfortunate that the Forum has been shut down, three months so far.

The Forum had rapidly expanded, and we had a great bunch of rocketeers as members, and, the Rocket Doctor personally Thanks all who signed up. This is factual.

It was Estes decision to shut it down, I tried to get it back, but, that didn't work.

But, at least I can say that I tried and brought a few kits of my own design out to all of you, and, I did have more, they never materialized.

The whole situation was very upsetting to me, I put my heart and sole into this Forum and my input to Estes as well.

So, again, I want to ?Thank all of you who supported the ?Forum and those who continue to purchase Estes products.

I knew what was scheduled to be released, and, when I said that bigger and better things were planned, that was true, but, for now, I have no idea.

Their marketing manager is gone now, hopefully, Estes can move in a better direction, only time will tell.

And, as I have stated here before, I can only wish to win the lottery, then, well, you figure it out.

RD

Leo
07-20-2007, 08:01 AM

You had the exclusive as to who the Rocket Doctor was, posted on your wonderful web site.

Now you made me smile because the way I understood your post in my guest book was that you knew RD. That is way I answered by saying "give my best regards to RD" :)

I also tried to send to you some rings for your birdie, but, i guess they got lost inbetween Penrose and Germany, these were from my personal collection.

However now my heart fell to the ground. I never received any mail with the ring. This would be the first for me that a shipment got lost in the mail. ..... of all things the ring, how sad :(

But thank you for trying!

Rocket Doctor
07-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Hello Leo

Yes, it was your guestbook that did it all.

Anyone wanting to check out Leo's guest book, go to Leo's site, and, click on the guestbook feature, well worth the visit.

RD

rokitflite
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM

The Rocket Doctor is no longer associated with Estes, that is the bottom line.
The
Rocket Doctor tried his best to make changes, for, all of us, now, look where the RD is now.
Instead of being so critical, show your support for me!!!!!

Don't assume anything......fact are fact, and, eventually,you will see for yourself.....
RD

Sorry, I never said you started the thread... It is now actually quite entertaining watching you skirt around your identity, but the best part is how you refer to yourself in the third person all the time. I am guessing that you are royalty! :D

Rocket Doctor
07-20-2007, 09:15 AM
I guess you haven't read the many posts by me in the past couple of days.

I don't find it entertaining, and, I haven't skirted around my identity at all.

I wanted to keep a low profile while I moderated the Estes Forum, now, that i am no longer associated with Estes, I can speak out.

I worked very hard, and fought very hard to make changes at Estes, and, cauht hell for it.

I was very sincere, and I still am, but, I'm now looking from the outside in.

So, I would strongly suggest that you go back in this thread and read all of the posts, then, I think you will have a better understaning about everything.

Just, too much negativity, we all need to focus our effort on positive thoughts, being so negative has no purpose, and, I think you will agree with me on that.

All I can say, I tried, and, look where it got me. I guess being dedicated to the hobby, also, has it's negative side as well.

I can no longer speak as to what Estes is doing, I know the Forum was a starting paoint, and, my direction was to be a positive one for EVERYONE.

My dream is to buy it and make changes, I guess I can only hope...........

RD

cas2047
07-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Sorry, I never said you started the thread... It is now actually quite entertaining watching you skirt around your identity, but the best part is how you refer to yourself in the third person all the time. I am guessing that you are royalty! :D

Cas2047 agrees with rokitflite regarding the third person references. :D

In all seriousness though I will say this; Rocket Doctor and Roguepink were both positive forces on the Estes forum. My beef is with Estes the corporation. It's direction and methods could use some work in my humble opinion.

When I speak negatively about Estes it isn't directed at the excellent people who worked or still work for the company.

Rocket Doctor
07-20-2007, 09:32 AM
I feel like I'm back moderating the Estes Forum.

Go to Leo's web page, and, click on the guestbook.

Do you feel the same about rogupink, he doesn't go by his real name as well???

We had to keep a low profile, and, as with the Forum, one can never do enoguh to satisfy everyone, way too much negativity for all of us.

Most everyone knows me as the Rocket Doctor,so, why not speak as being RD.

You will find out more by looking at future LAUNCH magazines, i assure you.

I appreciate those who have sent words of encouragement , not only here, but, personal emails as well.

RD

aka Ken Montanye
fmr Estes consultant

JRThro
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I feel like I'm back moderating the Estes Forum.

Go to Leo's web page, and, click on the guestbook.

Do you feel the same about rogupink, he doesn't go by his real name as well???

We had to keep a low profile, and, as with the Forum, one can never do enoguh to satisfy everyone, way too much negativity for all of us.

Most everyone knows me as the Rocket Doctor,so, why not speak as being RD.

You will find out more by looking at future LAUNCH magazines, i assure you.

I appreciate those who have sent words of encouragement , not only here, but, personal emails as well.

RD

aka Ken Montanye
fmr Estes consultant
It is kinda nice to see you referring to yourself as "I" instead of "the Rocket Doctor," really.

Ken, I appreciate everything you did and everything you tried to do during your association with Estes. I've only been involved in this hobby for 3 years, but my kids and I have had two or three of the Estes No. 2 Sky Writer, and everyone enjoys seeing that rocket at launches.

When you refer to future LAUNCH magazines, are you talking about upcoming articles about Estes, new releases from Estes, or something else? I'm not asking for details, just a little clarification.

Thanks, and welcome to YORF!

ghrocketman
07-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Ken,
Thanks for everything you TRIED to do over at Estes.
For a while I thought they were moving in the right direction for a well needed change.
Hopefully all your effort will not be for naught, but I have the sickening feeling it may have been.
I'm glad we have so many companies now (Semroc, PDR, Hawks, Rocketpad, the now on-hold Thrustline, and Q-modeling to name a few) to fill the void of the former glory days (60's through about 1985) of Estes and Centuri.
If bot Interceptors make it into production at least a small step is being taken toward true-hobbyist rocketeers and away from toy-buyers.
I am also active in R/C aircraft all the way from 1/4A .010 size to the big 1.20 size planes....what Estes did when they bought out Cox was shameful...gutted the offerings and jacked up the prices....typical corporate greed.

Rocket Doctor
07-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I would like to mention, and not have anyone speculate on what type of article I have written for a future LAUNCH magazine article.

In a future issue of LAUNCH, you will find out how I (Rocket Doctor) got started in the hobby, way back then, and who my influence was..........to be announced.

This article IS NOT related to the current Estes, and, I emphasize that .

It's a JOURNAL, which have appeared in previous issues of LAUNCH.

Find out what inspired me. Later on, you will learn about my 4-H years in the hobby.

So, stay tuned to LAUNCH, for my JOURNAL, in a future issue.

And, I thank all of your for your support.

It's always good to go back to your roots, and, you will relive my early rocetry experiences.

JRThro
07-20-2007, 06:26 PM
So, stay tuned to LAUNCH, for my JOURNAL, in a future issue.

Thanks for the update, multipad2.

Rocket Doctor
07-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Your welcome

My JOURNAL, How I got involved in the hobby.

My 4-H years in the hobby.

Having been involved in the hobby for the past 43 years now.

scigs30
07-20-2007, 10:26 PM
RD. Thanks for all your hard work at Estes Forums, I was really hopping that Estes was moving in the right direction. I don't know what brought me back to rockets, but what ever it was I am glad that I am here. I know what impact Estes had on me as a kid and I was hoping that kids of future generations would experience what I experienced. I am currently collecting old Estes kits that I liked as a kid. Not only am I buying them but I am building them and buying 2 of each. My main goal is to collect 95 percent of the 1979 catalog. I am 12 rockets short as we speak. I have spent a lot of money over the last year since getting back into the hobby and have collected over 165 Estes kits. I have always done well with money and over the years have wasted it on drinking, Vegas and expensive Motor-crafts. Now I am re focusing my life and getting down to what makes me happy. I wish I had enough money to buy Estes, but that is not going to happen. I too will play the lotto and hope for the best. The only suggestions that I have is for people to email Estes. Let them know what we want. More web updates, a newsletter and bring back the forums. Thanks to all................Dave

dwmzmm
07-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Rocket Doctor, now you're making it very agonizing for us to have to wait for the next
LAUNCH magazine so we can get our hands on your interview!! I just got the last issue
a couple of weeks ago (that means I have to wait a LONG two months now)...

Daniel Runyon
07-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Daniel Runyon enjoys Rocket Doctor's third person postings. It adds flavor and spice of personality, and is simply quirky good fun.

Daniel Runyon wishes Rocket Doctor to continue being himself, as Daniel Runyon is very much a supporter of people being themselves. Daniel does not enjoy overhomogenization in any form!

Daniel is also pretty sad about the way Estes has treated the Rocket Doctor and hopes that his dream will come true and he can win the lotto and buy Estes from that crappy souless Barry feller and make it to where Vern does not have to cry any more over having his name being used to suck the soul out of model rocketry and fill the coffers of a man who is not very deserving of having his coffers filled at the expense of such a wonderful hobby.

May The Force be with those good people who work for that dude though.

Rocket Doctor
07-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Hello everyone.
I thank you for your support when I was moderating the Estes Forum, everyone cotributed greatly to it's short success.

My JOURNAL in tn LAUNCH magazine is upcoming, but, I don't know the exact date. It was written by me, telling how I got into the hobby, and, I wrote a second article about my 4-H club.

Currently, I am researching a former company called Reaction Motors,Inc (RMI 1941-1972).

RMI made the rocket engines for the Bell X-1 (XLR-11 and the X-15 XLR-99).

These rocket engines are on display at the Edwards AF Museum, the Wright Patterson Museum, the National Air & Space Museum and at the Teterboro Aviation Museum.
You can do a web search for information regarding RMI.

Best wishes to everyone during this flying season.

Write to Estes, asking that the Forum return, who knows.
Still haven't hit the lottery yet, I will keep my finger crossed, the see what happens.....

RD

rraeford
08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Has anyone has actually seen any of the new Estes kits yet? Have they been released? I speak specifically of the Red Max, Interceptor and larger Interceptor.

The reason I ask is that I've seen ebay listings for these kits and there's no mention in the auctions that the sellers are waiting on deliveries.

Any news that I may have missed?

Thanks.

cas2047
08-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Has anyone has actually seen any of the new Estes kits yet? Have they been released? I speak specifically of the Red Max, Interceptor and larger Interceptor.

The reason I ask is that I've seen ebay listings for these kits and there's no mention in the auctions that the sellers are waiting on deliveries.

Any news that I may have missed?

Thanks.

I saw the same ebay listings yesterday and have the same question. I haven't seen any of the kits being sold by any of the retailers I frequent yet.

Rocket Doctor
08-02-2007, 11:48 AM
The Red Max was supposed to come out the middle of July, now, it's August. The two Interceptors were scheduled for September.

The only way to find out the low down is to call Estes directly.

1-800-525-7561, either ask for customer service or the marketing manager, go through the operator by pushing "0".

Usually, the rtelease dates could be off due to many conditions, when they are announced, that is only a projected date, and as history would have it, it usually is off.

I can't say for sure, since, I am no longer connected to Estes, but, call for the low down.
Ken
a/k/a/ RD

foose4string
08-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Same seller listed the Semroc/Centuri Shuttle just before it was released. Wonder if they know something we don't? ;)

Ltvscout
08-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Same seller listed the Semroc/Centuri Shuttle just before it was released. Wonder if they know something we don't? ;)
Send me a link to that seller, please. Thanks.

The_Forgotten
08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Usually, the rtelease dates could be off due to many conditions, when they are announced, that is only a projected date, and as history would have it, it usually is off.

Ken
a/k/a/ RD

Like the freighters from China with all of Estes' parts being held up? :confused: :eek:

I criticize and abhore this fact, yet I support it by purchasing Estes Kits.... what's a loyal rocketeer to do... :p ;)

(answer: continue to foam at the mouth until the new releases arrive at the local hobby shop, purchase said re-releases, disinfect components, assemble, finish, fly, rinse, lather, repeat... :D )

does the "a/k/a RD" seem to contradict earlier statements made by said poster as to the identity or alias of multipad, or is it just me? (RocketDoctor)

foose4string
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
The feedback for seller is 100%, so I'm sure they have a good reason to list something that's not available yet. Seems like a big gamble to do so, I certainly wouldn't. They regularly list vintage kits and often list new kits as well. I'm sure whoever it is frequents the forum(s), but I can't figure out who it is yet. That first Shuttle kit that was listed, sold for well over what you could buy direct from Semroc, like 30 bucks or something. And that didn't include the 6 bucks for shipping. I'll never understand why buyers will do that sort of thing on ebay. The thrill of winning something, or the agony of defeat, not sure which it is. :confused:

ebay seller(Utica, NY?) (http://myworld.ebay.com/jimid82551/ )

Ltvscout
08-02-2007, 01:32 PM
does the "a/k/a RD" seem to contradict earlier statements made by said poster as to the identity or alias of multipad, or is it just me? (RocketDoctor)
Multipad2, Rocket Doctor and Ken M. (don't recall spelling of his last name) are one in the same.

Ltvscout
08-02-2007, 01:33 PM
The feedback for seller is 100%, so I'm sure they have a good reason to list something that's not available yet. Seems like a big gamble to do so, I certainly wouldn't. They regularly list vintage kits and often list new kits as well. I'm sure whoever it is frequents the forum(s), but I can't figure out who it is yet. That first Shuttle kit that was listed, sold for well over what you could buy direct from Semroc, like 30 bucks or something. And that didn't include the 6 bucks for shipping. I'll never understand why buyers will do that sort of thing on ebay. The thrill of winning something, or the agony of defeat, not sure which it is. :confused:

ebay seller(Utica, NY?) (http://myworld.ebay.com/jimid82551/ )
The reason I wanted to know was because you stated he was listing the Semroc Space Shuttle before it was known to the public it was being released. That's what I want to check into.

foose4string
08-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Let me clarify Scott. I saw the listing the day after it was announced, but I thought highly unlikely that a package would make it from NC to NY in less than 24 hrs. I know Semroc is fast, but I found that listing a bit curious.

rraeford
08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by foose4string
Same seller listed the Semroc/Centuri Shuttle just before it was released. Wonder if they know something we don't?

Yeah, I saw that too. Just thought he jumped right on it. The Estes kits are a bit weird. Tower Hobbies always has new Estes kits listed before anyone else seems to know about them. But they say order pending on Interceptors and Red Maxes due this month. Curious...

foose4string
08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
The thing with Tower, Hobbylinc, etc. ; they may list the future items but tell you they are backordered or not available and won't bill you until they are shipped. Payment for the Max and Intereceptor is required within seven days of the auction closing, and no mention of the item not being available yet. Why risk a 100% feedback score(which is outstanding given the amount of transactions) on a future Estes product if you weren't certain on a release date, or didn't have a darn good idea it was on the way? High gamble, especially Estes....they aren't exactly known for their expedient service, and precise deadlines.

Ltvscout
08-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Let me clarify Scott. I saw the listing the day after it was announced, but I thought highly unlikely that a package would make it from NC to NY in less than 24 hrs. I know Semroc is fast, but I found that listing a bit curious.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

ghrocketman
08-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I saw the new Interceptor on ebay as well, but not by a seller I recognized.
The seller has good feedback.
I asked him if they had them in their hands NOW and available to ship as the auction did not say anything about pre-ordering or anything else.
I informed the seller I would be interested if they actually had them NOW but would NOT be interested in any sort of pre-order baloney.
Not surprisingly the seller has NOT sent me any email or replied to my ebay account, which makes me think this was some sort of un-announced pre-order scam.

Bob H
08-03-2007, 10:10 PM
BRS Hobbies has announced that he will be getting Der Red Max and Nova Payloader next week.

No mention of either Interceptor.

duobob
08-03-2007, 10:22 PM
My local Hobby Lobby had a Nova Payloader but no Red Max. :(

Ltvscout
08-04-2007, 07:21 AM
After some investigation I've found out which distributor has the Der Red Max AND the 1250 Interceptor in stock, which is where this guy on eBay is getting his stuff. The distributor is Global Hobby Distributors, better known as Hobby People. For those of you that can't wait and want to pay retail, you can order from here:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/rocket01.asp

Quasar
08-04-2007, 11:55 AM
After some investigation I've found out which distributor has the Der Red Max AND the 1250 Interceptor in stock, which is where this guy on eBay is getting his stuff. The distributor is Global Hobby Distributors, better known as Hobby People. For those of you that can't wait and want to pay retail, you can order from here:

I wonder what that "Del Rod Max" looks like. :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
08-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I wonder what that "Del Rod Max" looks like. :rolleyes:
Heh, ya, I thought the same thing. :D

JRThro
08-04-2007, 03:44 PM
My local Hobby Lobby had a Nova Payloader but no Red Max. :(
Yeah, a Hobby Lobby in far West Houston had a Nova Payloader, a Liquidator, and a Converter today.

dwmzmm
08-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah, a Hobby Lobby in far West Houston had a Nova Payloader, a Liquidator, and a Converter today.

John, you didn't see the new Estes D Region Tomahawk there, too? If you're talking about
the Hobby Lobby on FM 529/Hwy 6, I saw one a few days ago when I went in to buy some
sanding sealer and CA.

BTW, it was fun flying with you, Chris and the others today at Rushing Park. Sorry we had to
leave when we did; the heat/humidity was getting to my kids and they couldn't take it any
longer. Heck, they drank all of MY water (in addition to theirs!). Most of my pics came out
ok, so I hope to have them posted shortly. The launch pic of your Odyssey came out very
good! Most of the liftoff shots, all I got was the smoke (including my Mercury Redstone &
Gemini Titan - 3). Guess my digital cam doesn't take quick shots too well.

scigs30
08-04-2007, 07:58 PM
If you look at the Ebay picture for the Interceptor, he has a picture of a lady holding the Interceptor in the new Estes Package......I have no problem waiting and paying less money.

Ltvscout
08-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Heh, apparently there's a lot of people with plenty of cash willing to pay retail for the Intercpetor instead of waiting a week or two for them to filter into the discount market. Hobby People is now out of stock of the #1250 Interceptor, although they still have the 3FNC Der Red Max for a whopping $19.99.

Ltvscout
08-04-2007, 08:07 PM
If you look at the Ebay picture for the Interceptor, he has a picture of a lady holding the Interceptor in the new Estes Package......I have no problem waiting and paying less money.
Nor do I. ;)

scigs30
08-05-2007, 10:33 AM
I am watching the build at the rocketry forum and noticed this kit now has a white body tube. Is Estes going to all white tubes? I should be getting my Der Red Max this week according to my local hobby store. I am currently not building anything so as soon as I get it I will build it. David P.s With the new reproduction kits, are the decals the same waterslide decal design? Or since the kit was produced so long ago did they have to make new waterslide decals? I am asking because I have 3 old K50 interceptors and the decals for all of them are yellowed. I was just wondering if the new decals are identical to the old?

Rocket Doctor
08-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I did the instructions for the two Interceptors, but, I didn't get any of the current decals, so, I can't say for sure.

Also, the submitted instruction outline was probably changed since the originals that I made, at least the copy for the 1350 was changed.

Any instruction after April 21st aren't mine, so, I can't say for sure what is being done with those.

sandman
08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
I am watching the build at the rocketry forum and noticed this kit now has a white body tube. Is Estes going to all white tubes? I should be getting my Der Red Max this week according to my local hobby store. I am currently not building anything so as soon as I get it I will build it. David P.s With the new reproduction kits, are the decals the same waterslide decal design? Or since the kit was produced so long ago did they have to make new waterslide decals? I am asking because I have 3 old K50 interceptors and the decals for all of them are yellowed. I was just wondering if the new decals are identical to the old?

That's odd. :confused:

Mine has the brown tube.

pantherjon
08-23-2007, 11:38 PM
My new Interceptor has the brown tube as well...But my DRM's had white tubes...

tbzep
08-24-2007, 09:41 AM

I've read that the decals are about the same, with the most glaring difference being the shade of yellow stripes on the new ones.

If you want to use the old decals, tape them in a window that gets lots of sun for a few days and it will clear them up. Be sure to give them a good coat of Micro Sol Decal Film so they won't disintegrate when you soak them in water. My Interceptor decals are from April 1976 and they look awesome after doing the Sunshine/MicroSol trick. ;)-*

Rocket Doctor
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I have the official prints on both Interceptors, since, I did the rough draft for the instructions, I don't know if they changed from my original drafts though.

From my l;ist, here are the part numbers, and, as I can remember from the prototype build, the tubes were brown
Interceptor 1350 D/E

Bodey Tube slotted P/N 30617 HBT-2000 13.5"
Bode Tube P/N 30615 HBT-2000 13.5"

Decals

062126 decal (A) 5.5" X 14 " waterslide
062127 decal (B) 5.5 X 14" waterslide
062127 decal (C) 5.5" X 14" waterslide

On the 1250, the engine mount tube is white (instead of that flimsy blue tube) P/N 30408, white w/glassine 2.75"

If you need to purchase engine mount tubes, ask for the above white tubes instead of the blue tubes (30408)

If your tubes aren't the correct color, it a chance that the tubes were substituted during manufacturing inorder to fullfill orders, must my guess.

Ken
A/K/A RD (retired.....not by choice).....

Gus
08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
If you want to use the old decals, tape them in a window that gets lots of sun for a few days and it will clear them up.

That's a very cool tip. I've never heard it before. Thanks.

Rocket Doctor
08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
For all of you out there in rocketland, when I was moderating the Estes Forum, I did my best to get changes made, with resistance !!!

And, as I kept telling you, there were exciting things to come.

As I mentioned previously, I was working on the update to the instructions on the 1250, and had written the instructions for the 1350, BUT, the Estes marketing manager (who is no longer there) too my outline, and made it into an novel (with many mistakes).

I could do nothing to change it and was told in rather harsh terms that, that was the way it was going to be.

As far as the return of the Forum goes, don't expect it at all, and, I was just as surprised as all of you when it got cancelled, a last minute email to me and that was it.

I would suggest, that if there is any chance in the return of the Forum, send letters to Estes telling them what you liked and didn't like about the Forum.

I felt like I was on a tredmill going knowhere.............

At least I can say that I tried........Oh well, such is life.

RD (former.....not by choice)

sandman
08-24-2007, 01:54 PM
I just finished the build and the fin fillets on my new Interceptor. A very nice easy build.

The instructions are much simpler than the original.

Man...there sure aren't a lot of parts in that kit. :confused:

Basically just 6 fins a nose cone, tail cone, fin pods and the two fin antenna.

I'm sure glad I didn't pay $285.00 on Ebay for it! :rolleyes:

There is a lot of filling and painting to do yet and the plastic parts are just stuck on for the picture.

That kit had some of the hardest balsa to ever come in a kit! I'm sure glad they were laser cut!

So hopefully it will be easy to seal!

If I recall...the decals are the hardest part.

Rocket Doctor
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Which Interceptor do you have, the 1250 or the 1350 (D/E).

You mentioned ebay, but, the new kits are just that, new kits, not the originals.

And, with the D/E kit, it has reinforcements on the fins, kind of distracts from the overall kit finishining.

I hope that Estes made the change that I suggested for the shock cord, long, long, long, they originally had a black short shock cord, and I told them, not the way to go. (on the 1350)

Enjoy you new Interceptor though....

tbzep
08-24-2007, 02:07 PM
MP2 (formerly RD),

Thanks for your efforts on the Estes forum. I understand the predicament you were in.

Sandman,

It looks good! Not too many parts....it's the shape of those parts and the decals that make it such a classic. ;) I don't think I'll like the plastic fin tips much, but I'll reserve final judgment until after I see one in person. The old kit from 1976 that I built this summer had hard balsa also. My memory of kit balsa in the 70's is of harder and stronger balsa. I didn't realize the merits of soft balsa until I got into R/C and found out how much lighter it is. I'd still rather have harder balsa for rockets. Like you mentioned, hard balsa is usually easier to finish, plus, I'm not worried about getting max altitudes with any of my rockets these days.

sandman
08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
This is the 1250 18mm powered kit.

The D/E version isn't out yet.

Well the shock cord is...short. About 20" long.

I never throw them away, I just tie another piece onto it.

I ordered my kit from Red Arrow Hobbies the same time as my order to SEMROC.

Sorry, Carl, Dave at Red Arrow beat you by a day. But he's right here in Michigan so he had about a 700 mile shipping advantage. :)

I would have only one thing to complain about. That rock had balsa was a ***# to sand! It sorta had the consistancy of pine without the piney fresh smell. ;)

dwmzmm
08-24-2007, 02:51 PM
MP2 (Rocket Doctor), tell Estes that "resistance is futile...."

Ltvscout
08-24-2007, 02:51 PM
As I mentioned previously, I was working on the update to the instructions on the 1250, and had written the instructions for the 1350, BUT, the Estes marketing manager (who is no longer there) too my outline, and made it into an novel (with many mistakes).
Mike Fritz is back in there as the Marketing Director again.

Rocket Doctor
08-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes indeed, Mike Fritz is back in the marketing manager position, Tom Walker is no linger with the company in that position.

Also, Dennis Poole, is gone as well, he was the VP of sales and marketing.

To make a change at Estes, everyone should send in their concerns, flood their mailbox with letters, only as a group, can changes be made, I know I tried, give me a hand, let s get things done once and for all.

Mach1
08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I just finished the build and the fin fillets on my new Interceptor. A very nice easy build.

The instructions are much simpler than the original.

Man...there sure aren't a lot of parts in that kit. :confused:

Basically just 6 fins a nose cone, tail cone, fin pods and the two fin antenna.

I'm sure glad I didn't pay $285.00 on Ebay for it! :rolleyes:

There is a lot of filling and painting to do yet and the plastic parts are just stuck on for the picture.

That kit had some of the hardest balsa to ever come in a kit! I'm sure glad they were laser cut!

So hopefully it will be easy to seal!

If I recall...the decals are the hardest part.

My Red Max and Interceptor kits are under construction. The Red Max is ready for it's first coat of primer. Both kits of course came with the customary too-short shock cord. That was the first thing to hit the trash :)

Both kits had hard balsa, the Red Max'es was harder. I like it! The laser cutting is great, I really like that. The fit of the nose cone on both kits was terrible.(especially the Interceptor kit) I added CA to the inside of the tube to tighten the fit, (I prefer to do it that way instead of using tape) but it is still loose.
Perhaps another coat will do the trick.

Overall though, I like these kits.... especially the Interceptor. I think the new wing tips and pods are an improvement over the old kit. This is a kit I always wanted, but was not willing to pay 'ebay' prices for. I was also not willing to clone it because I thought that was too expensive as well. I'm glad I got a chance to build it without going broke! I can't wait for the upscale kit! :D

Rocket Doctor
08-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Everyone who has purchased Estes rocket (NEW) should complain about the short shock cords.

I was assured that the shock cord problem would be taken care of on all new kits, and, apparently it wasn't.

Send letters to Mike Fritz, Marketing manager, Estes-Cox Corp, 1295 H Street, Penrose CO 81240

For the amopunt you are paying for these new kits, they should be right, and, you shouldn't have to replace parts.The only way to have changes made is to bring it to their attention, and, since the Forum is gone, letters are needed.

scigs30
08-25-2007, 02:33 PM
My New Interceptor is built and primed. Sealing the balsa was easy, I did 4 coats of Aerogloss and primed. All in one day.....Monday when I get home I will paint the top coat, work Tues. and will apply decals on wed. My Der Red Max and Interceptor came with great balsa. I wish I knew where Estes buys there balsa, Christine would not tell me. I asked her again and she says BMS has their old machines for making balsa cones. BMS says they never had their machines. Oh well probably never know. I think there was confusion with the shock cords. When we wanted bigger cords I think Estes took that to mean wider vs longer.

sandman
08-25-2007, 04:16 PM
scigs30, maybe you can paint in Texas but here in Michigan it has been in the 80's for the past week and a half with the humidity above 90%. When it cools off in the evening we have heavy fog.

It sorta reminds me of the Amazon rain forest. :rolleyes:

scigs30
08-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Yea I admit we are pretty lucky in California.....Also I paint in a well ventilated garage. I also bought a temp./humidity gauge to see that it is not to humid.

foose4string
08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
My Red Max and Interceptor kits are under construction. The Red Max is ready for it's first coat of primer. Both kits of course came with the customary too-short shock cord. That was the first thing to hit the trash :)

Both kits had hard balsa, the Red Max'es was harder. I like it! The laser cutting is great, I really like that. The fit of the nose cone on both kits was terrible.(especially the Interceptor kit) I added CA to the inside of the tube to tighten the fit, (I prefer to do it that way instead of using tape) but it is still loose.
Perhaps another coat will do the trick.

Overall though, I like these kits.... especially the Interceptor. I think the new wing tips and pods are an improvement over the old kit. This is a kit I always wanted, but was not willing to pay 'ebay' prices for. I was also not willing to clone it because I thought that was too expensive as well. I'm glad I got a chance to build it without going broke! I can't wait for the upscale kit! :D

Despite already having a pending order with Discount Rocketry(shipping snafu has delayed the arrival my order), I picked up another set from the LHS today. I echo everything said above. Shock cord waaaaaaay too short, although I would have replaced the rubber and trifold with elastic and Kevlar anyway. The nose cones are a sloppy fit. I'll do the same, and coat the tube end with CA to help tighten things up. This is standard procedure for me to prevent zippering anyway. If it's still too loose, masking tape does wonders. As others have said, the balsa is some of the finest grade I've ever seen. The lack of white decals still bothers me, but certainly didn't prevent me from buying the kit. But the header card specifically states, "Undt it includes de original 'Red Max' decal set!" :confused: C'mon, how about a suppliment decal sheet Estes? Wish in one hand.....

Rocket Doctor
08-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I would check with Carl from Semroc, I'm sure he would sell balas to you. BE AWARW, THERE ARE THREE GRADES OF BALSA, THE BETTER THE GRADE, THE HIGHER THE PRICE.

I was also told that BMS purchased eSTES' CONE MACHINES, BUY APPARENYLY THAT WAS'NT THE CASE.

Please excuse mt typing ability, the RD broke his elbow today and needed a real doctor, I'm in pain and in a sling....

LeeR
08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
scigs30, maybe you can paint in Texas but here in Michigan it has been in the 80's for the past week and a half with the humidity above 90%. When it cools off in the evening we have heavy fog.

It sorta reminds me of the Amazon rain forest. :rolleyes:

I must visit the midwest sometime, just to check out this "humidity" stuff I keep hearing about.

I paint all year long here in Colorado, but I do have to store the rattle cans inside for the Winter ... :)

foose4string
08-26-2007, 06:50 AM
I would check with Carl from Semroc, I'm sure he would sell balas to you. BE AWARW, THERE ARE THREE GRADES OF BALSA, THE BETTER THE GRADE, THE HIGHER THE PRICE.

I was also told that BMS purchased eSTES' CONE MACHINES, BUY APPARENYLY THAT WAS'NT THE CASE.

Please excuse mt typing ability, the RD broke his elbow today and needed a real doctor, I'm in pain and in a sling....

I'm not in any need of balsa, RD(if your comment was directed towards me). I was very pleased with what came with the kits. Estes did a great job in that regard!
Most of my uncut balsa stock(3 ft X 4 inch) I buy locally from the Midwest displays. With careful selection, one can get some pretty good stuff that way.

Rocket Doctor
08-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Here in the east, yhe temps have been in the high 90's and above and the humidity mad it feel several degrees higher.

It's been the same thing all across the country.

I was in South Carolina for the past two weeks, and everyday the temps were 98 to 104, and that didn't include the humidity factor.

I would suggest not painting until the weather changes, it would make no sence to paint your your finely constructed rocket only to have a poor paint job because of this funky weather.

Also, as you know, follow the directions on the can, and, store your paint in a cool place.

Rocket Doctor
08-26-2007, 07:06 AM
My comment about balsa was directed to SCIGS, WHO IS LOOKING FOR BALSA THAT IS NOW INCLUDED IN THE RED MAX .

i HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BALSA THEY ARE USING NOW.

i CAN SAY THIS, IT'S VERY HARD TO FIND BALSA IN cHINA, AND, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THE FORMER eSTES MARKETING MANAGER HAD SUGGESTED TO SWITCH OVER FROM BALSA TO BAMBOO.

Ltvscout
08-26-2007, 08:34 AM
i CAN SAY THIS, IT'S VERY HARD TO FIND BALSA IN cHINA, AND, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THE FORMER eSTES MARKETING MANAGER HAD SUGGESTED TO SWITCH OVER FROM BALSA TO BAMBOO.
I'm glad to hear that bozo is now the "former" Mkt Mgr.

Ltvscout
08-26-2007, 08:36 AM
I must visit the midwest sometime, just to check out this "humidity" stuff I keep hearing about.

I paint all year long here in Colorado, but I do have to store the rattle cans inside for the Winter ... :)
Yesterday was the first nice day we had here in Milwaukee. It had been raining since the 18th everyday. Humidity was at a constant 90-100%. We're used to it though. ;) As of right now the humidity is at 75%. At least the sun is out!

Rocket Doctor
08-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Scott

Who is "bozo"?

Ltvscout
08-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Scott

Who is "bozo"?
Bozo is just a term for a person that is a goof. As in Bozo the Clown. That old Mkt Mgr was a goof for suggesting Estes use bamboo.

Rocket Doctor
08-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Do you have a particular name associated with "bozo"?
If it's the same person, mt nicknane was "the king",thinking that they were far superior than anyone else.

Ltvscout
08-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Do you have a particular name associated with "bozo"?
If it's the same person, mt nicknane was "the king",thinking that they were far superior than anyone else.
No name. Just that you said the last marketing manager suggested using bamboo for the fins. I then said he was a bozo (goof) for making such a suggestion.

Mach1
08-26-2007, 10:06 AM

HA! We had some folks from Denver transfer to our facility in Nebraska. The first thing that got them was the humidity, and after that it was our famous Nebraska taxes! Some of them about had a heart attack when they went to the courthouse to licence their vehicles.

Rocket Doctor
08-26-2007, 10:30 AM
The TRUTH is a very powerfil word, some may not like it, but, as we all were told growing up "Always tell the TRUTH"

Ikaros
06-06-2008, 11:13 PM
I know this thread is old now but I have a question since its about both of the new Interceptor kits. I noticed in pictures supposed to be of the new 26" Interceptor re-issue, it appears to have new plastic rudder probes just like the big 39" E version? Just want to check in case it was really a big E picture by mistake. I think its cool if the new 26" re-issue includes them.

I'm still torn of if I should get the 26" or 39" kit. I mean its $25 vs $50 at the hobby store I was at. I'd actually like to get both, but the kit plus supplies plus launch pad, etc. is gonna add up for me and right now I'm dealing with the expense of my daughter's graduation party. What are your thoughts about one kit vs the other?

Also, if I get the E compatible launch pad setup, can rods be interchanged between 1/8" and 3/16" to launch both regular and mid power rockets? Plus for the 3/16" rod, I should get a longer one than 36" when the big Interceptor E is 39" long? And can a camera tripod be easily adapted into a launch pad? I have one. I saw a youtube video with someone launching the big Interceptor E from one!

TXFergie
06-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Well, if you are indecisive like me, you can do what I did...I just bought BOTH of the Interceptor kits.......now they are in a box ready to be built......

Mach1
06-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Well, if you are indecisive like me, you can do what I did...I just bought BOTH of the Interceptor kits.......now they are in a box ready to be built......

Good Idea! That's what I did. :D

scigs30
06-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I received an email yesterday from Estes marketing telling me that there will be 70s and 80s kits released in the fall. I sent Estes an email giving them kudos for their Maxi X Wing kit that I am currently plugging away on. That is when they responded with bring backs in the fall.

Ikaros
06-07-2008, 12:22 PM
150% upscale Orbital Transport maybe?

Intruder
06-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I know this thread is old now but I have a question since its about both of the new Interceptor kits. I noticed in pictures supposed to be of the new 26" Interceptor re-issue, it appears to have new plastic rudder probes just like the big 39" E version? Just want to check in case it was really a big E picture by mistake. I think its cool if the new 26" re-issue includes them.

Yes, they both have the plastic antennas/probes.

foose4string
06-14-2008, 11:30 AM
150% upscale Orbital Transport maybe?

Standard tube sizes make it closer to 136% or 168% using standard Estes BT55 or BT60 for the booster, respectively. BT55 is slightly oversized for the Orbiter at the 168% scale, but close enough that it doesn't hinder the performance. I believe Hawks Hobby currently has a 168% scale kit for sale, or you can procure the upscaled cones from Semroc(stock items now) like I did and scratch build one. Fun project and looks even more impressive in the air than the original does.

It'll be interesting to see what Estes has in store for the fall. If they put out a catalog before summer is over, update the website(any word on that?), release the Shrox kits, and bring a couple more classics back this year, I'd say they've got a full plate. I know there have been some hard feelings generated in the last few months, but it does sound like they might be trying....

Ikaros
06-14-2008, 02:06 PM
I had to postpone getting the Interceptor(s) until next payday this coming Friday, due to graduation party expenses for my daughter. If I get both, I know I'll fly the original scale Interceptor like I did as a teen 30 some years ago. With the bigger Interceptor E, I might be afraid to fly it in case of any damage and maybe just keep it as an impressive static display model. I'm probably being a wuss about that but I'd probably break it in anyway with at least one launch. Can the bigger E series launch pad system let you interchange launch rod diameters so it can be used for regular smaller engine rockets too? I'm not sure what to do dealing with two different size rockets and their different launch rod requirements.

space_bus
06-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Ikaros -- Where in Maryland are you?

NARHAMS has a monthly Sport Launch near Mt. Airy in Frederick County (weather permitting) where they welcome any flyers. They always have multiple launch rods of various sizes set up and ready to go. It might be a good place for a one-off launch of your Interceptor E.

http://www.narhams.org/

Ikaros
06-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Ikaros -- Where in Maryland are you? NARHAMS has a monthly Sport Launch near Mt. Airy in Frederick County (weather permitting) where they welcome any flyers. They always have multiple launch rods of various sizes set up and ready to go. It might be a good place for a one-off launch of your Interceptor E. http://www.narhams.org/

I'm in southeast Baltimore County in an town called Dundalk. I used to just launch regular size rockets at a local high school field.

space_bus
06-14-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm in southeast Baltimore County in an town called Dundalk. I used to just launch regular size rockets at a local high school field.

I still do mostly school fields and that's all I did back in the day. I've been a BAR for almost a year and have made it to a handful of the NARHAMS launches. I'm guessing you're about 45-50 minutes away from Old National Pike Park where the Sport Launches are held. If you don't think that's too far, you might want to check it out next chance you get. The regulars tend to bring some interesting stuff.

Doug Sams
06-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Was looking at rockets at Michael's today, trying to use my 50% off coupon. Ended up with a flight pack @ 30 bucks. Seemed like a decent deal.

Anyway, I got a good look at the D-Region Tomahawk. The rocket appears to have a ~2" tube with a thicker wall, ~0.030" I'd guess, heavier duty than typical MR tubes (0.021" and 0.013"), but not as thick as HPR tubes. Does anyone know what this tube is? Is it some variation on ST-20?

Similarly, the Interceptor E's tube looks close? Is it the same?

Doug

[Edit] I should add, I could find no dimensions on either package.

Royatl
06-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Was looking at rockets at Michael's today, trying to use my 50% off coupon. Ended up with a flight pack @ 30 bucks. Seemed like a decent deal.

Anyway, I got a good look at the D-Region Tomahawk. The rocket appears to have a ~2" tube with a thicker wall, ~0.030" I'd guess, heavier duty than typical MR tubes (0.021" and 0.013"), but not as thick as HPR tubes. Does anyone know what this tube is? Is it some variation on ST-20?

Similarly, the Interceptor E's tube looks close? Is it the same?

Doug

[Edit] I should add, I could find no dimensions on either package.

No, both are special tubes. Thick walled. I don't have the precice measurments with me, but the Interceptor E is right around 2.00" and the Tomahawk is, i think, 1.9"

Mark II
06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
I just checked three vendor web sites (BRS Hobbies, Discount Rocketry and AC Supply) and all show the D-Region Tomahawk as having a diameter of 1.8" (45.7 mm) and the Interceptor E with a diameter of 2.0" (51.0 mm).

Mark \\.

snaquin
06-16-2008, 06:44 PM
John Brohm had posted accurate specifications for the Estes HBT-1800 here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=20378&postcount=1

I had remembered John posted this because I had hand written the specs on my hard copy of his reference list at that time :)

John Brohm
06-16-2008, 07:24 PM

I had remembered John posted this because I had hand written the specs on my hard copy of his reference list at that time :)

You, Sir, are correct; and when that latest revision (Rev 3.1) of the Book of Tubes gets posted (and there's no doubt that it will...), you'll find that this, plus much more, has been captured in the update.

Doug Sams
06-16-2008, 07:33 PM

. John is so good at tracking those, and I thought of that...after I posted. But I was also interested in simply having some rocket dialogue as in getting the answer :)

> HBT-1800...measured 1.800" (1.798" exactly, using the circumference method),
> which means that it is different than the Aerotech T-1.88 tube...The Estes HBT-1800
> tube is exactly that, heavy duty, with a wall thickness of 0.031".

Glad to see I hit the thickness pretty darn close :)

Doug

snaquin
06-16-2008, 07:35 PM
You, Sir, are correct; and when that latest revision (Rev 3.1) of the Book of Tubes gets posted (and there's no doubt that it will...), you'll find that this, plus much more, has been captured in the update.

Thanks John and I'm looking forward to rev 3.1

It's a valuable resource and I find myself referring to the list quite often.

A lot of effort went into that list and I really appreciate it!

snaquin
06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
John is so good at tracking those, and I thought of that...after I posted. But I was also interested in simply having some rocket dialogue as in getting the answer :)

> HBT-1800...measured 1.800" (1.798" exactly, using the circumference method),
> which means that it is different than the Aerotech T-1.88 tube...The Estes HBT-1800
> tube is exactly that, heavy duty, with a wall thickness of 0.031".

Glad to see I hit the thickness pretty darn close :)

Doug

Hey you eyeballed ~0.030" on a 0.031" wall thickness .....

I'd throw the calipers away!

;)