PDA

View Full Version : New Forum member with some old kit info to offer

EchoVictor
05-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Hey all,

Nice place you've got here. I just wanted to say "hello" and open an offer to anyone needing info on some old school kits.

I've got the following 3 vintage kits unbuilt, so if you need a scan or detailed measurements or something, let me know;

1336 Boeing A.L.C.M.
1372 Alien Explorer
2034 Deep Space Transport

My built collection also includes some other golden oldies;

K-42 Orbital Transport
K-50 Interceptor
860 Star Dart
863 Estes Starliner
866 Mini Tri-Pak
Star Seeker
Sting Ray
S.C.R.A.M.
873 Hawkeye
1356 Astro Bee
1374 Attack Craft Orion
1378 Firecat
1903 Xarconian Destroyer
1910 U.S.S. Pleiades
1927 Aries SST
1928 Manta Bomber
1950 Echo
1959 Scout II
1942 SR-71 Blackbird
1973 Interceptor II
1999 Corsair
2003 SDI Satellite

Thanks again for putting up such a great site (I've already benefitted from learning about the Hobby Lobby 50% off sale)!

Later,
EV

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure the Hobby Lobby sale won't be the last thing you learn about. How do you feel about tractors? Any Teri Garr stories to share? :D

ShieldWolf
05-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey all,

I've got the following 3 vintage kits unbuilt, so if you need a scan or detailed measurements or something, let me know;

1336 Boeing A.L.C.M.
1372 Alien Explorer

K-42 Orbital Transport
K-50 Interceptor
860 Star Dart
863 Estes Starliner
866 Mini Tri-Pak
Star Seeker
Sting Ray
S.C.R.A.M.
873 Hawkeye
1356 Astro Bee
1374 Attack Craft Orion
1378 Firecat
1903 Xarconian Destroyer
1910 U.S.S. Pleiades
1927 Aries SST
1928 Manta Bomber
1950 Echo
1959 Scout II
1942 SR-71 Blackbird
1973 Interceptor II
1999 Corsair
2003 SDI Satellite

Later,
EV

I'm jealous! ;)

Welcome to the group.

Randal

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey all,

Nice place you've got here. I just wanted to say "hello" and open an offer to anyone needing info on some old school kits.

1336 Boeing A.L.C.M.
1372 Alien Explorer

K-42 Orbital Transport
K-50 Interceptor
860 Star Dart
863 Estes Starliner
866 Mini Tri-Pak
Star Seeker
Sting Ray
S.C.R.A.M.
873 Hawkeye
1356 Astro Bee
1374 Attack Craft Orion
1378 Firecat
1903 Xarconian Destroyer
1910 U.S.S. Pleiades
1927 Aries SST
1928 Manta Bomber
1950 Echo
1959 Scout II
1942 SR-71 Blackbird
1973 Interceptor II
1999 Corsair
2003 SDI Satellite

Thanks again for putting up such a great site (I've already benefitted from learning about the Hobby Lobby 50% off sale)!

Later,
EV

Got any pictures?

EchoVictor
05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Tonight's a bit busy, but I'll try and get a few shots :)

Be forewarned that what you see may be considered blasphemous, as they've been sitting in two cardboard boxes for the last 15 to 20 years. I was cleaning up the garage a couple weekends ago, and stumbled upon my little treasure trove. Quite a lot of dust, and unfortunately, too many broken fins.

Looking down the list, I notice that I've got a little pattern. Of my 21 models, over half (11) have a non-traditional nose cone. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the sci-fi looking ones.

Later,
EV

P.S. ...and sure enough, the 3 that I bought last night at the HL sale are all sci-fi, non-standard cones. Go figure....

Ltvscout
05-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey all,

Thank you and welcome to the site. I see you're listed as living in southern WI. What city are you in?

CPMcGraw
05-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey all,

1336 Boeing A.L.C.M.
1372 Alien Explorer

K-42 Orbital Transport
K-50 Interceptor
860 Star Dart
863 Estes Starliner
866 Mini Tri-Pak
Star Seeker
Sting Ray
S.C.R.A.M.
873 Hawkeye
1356 Astro Bee
1374 Attack Craft Orion
1378 Firecat
1903 Xarconian Destroyer
1910 U.S.S. Pleiades
1927 Aries SST
1928 Manta Bomber
1950 Echo
1959 Scout II
1942 SR-71 Blackbird
1973 Interceptor II
1999 Corsair
2003 SDI Satellite

Later,
EV

EV,

Welcome to our little funhouse... :D

That's a fine list of models in your collection, with no ARFs or RTFs to munge it up...

...and no 2100's -- OK, maybe that ONE #2109 Renegade you mentioned in another thread... :rolleyes:

I see one in your list that Scott has been looking for -- the Astro Bee! (I've been looking for that one, as well!) :D

Be sure to check out Scott's YORP Kit Lists (and the Expanded Kit List) to see which kits we're still looking for, just in case you know where any others might be hiding... :)

Craig McGraw
-------------------------------------------
BARCLONE Rocketry

EchoVictor
05-25-2005, 11:07 PM
As requested, I took some photos. However, they are too large for this site, and I don't have a good way to shrink 'em. I've sent them to my office where I'll shrink and upload in the morning. In taking my photos, I came across a couple more in my set, the Estes #2004 Tornado and the Centuri #5343 NASA Space Shuttle Columbia.

Well, technically as of last night, there are now three unbuilt 2100's in my presence;

2109 Renegade - I'm going to modify this probably by moving the pods and main wings forward off of the booster and on to the main body.

2110 Outlander - My brother LOVES the Mars Lander, so this one might become a present.

2133 Shuttle Xpress - I bought this one to steal the Interceptor II nose cone. I'll still probably put this one together with my kids, but with a standard-style cone. I'll use the cockpit cone for something worthwhile.

As for the AstroBee, it's not very pretty. In fact, it's my first ever rocket. As such, the paint job is pretty hideous (hand-painted with lots of brush strokes).

Oh, and FYI, I'm near Janesville, WI.

Later,
EV

Ltvscout
05-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Oh, and FYI, I'm near Janesville, WI.
You may be interested in joining our NAR section. We have some members from the Madison and Janesville area. Go to http://www.wooshrocketry.org to get info.

EchoVictor
05-26-2005, 08:40 AM
OK, here are the photos I promised....

The first is all my stuff that's fully finished. That green one in the foreground is #1374 Attack Craft Orion, just with a different paint scheme. I think I might try to take her back to the original look.

The second is all my Work In Progress stuff. That big black sucker in the back was my first attempt at cloning (18 years ago) my brother's Centuri ESS Raven.

Picture 3 is of my vintage kits. I'm definitely gonna put together the Alien Explorer and the DST, but I might get rid of (sell/trade) the Boeing ALCM. Scale stuff just doesn't do it for me.

The last picture is self-explanatory. Thank GOD I saved this stuff.

Later,
EV

CPMcGraw
05-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Oh, there's the Astro Bee!...

EV, can you trace out the fin shapes for that one "when you scan the plans and send them to Scott"? :rolleyes:

That was one of my early BAR-days models, and I lost it on like the first or second flight. :(

Craig...

EchoVictor
05-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Craig,

I've got a fin trace of the AstroBee going, but I didn't save any of the instructions/cards/etc. for it. I'm working on a guide on how to put one together. Stay tuned....

Later,
EV

EchoVictor
06-30-2005, 10:59 AM
You may be interested in joining our NAR section. We have some members from the Madison and Janesville area. Go to http://www.wooshrocketry.org to get info.

Scott,

I looked at the WOOSH site and noticed you guys have a "sport launch" scheduled for this Saturday, 7/2. Would it be OK if I just showed up? Please advise.

Thanks,
EV

Ltvscout
06-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Scott,

I looked at the WOOSH site and noticed you guys have a "sport launch" scheduled for this Saturday, 7/2. Would it be OK if I just showed up? Please advise.

Thanks,
EV
Absolutely! Our launches are open to everyone, whether you're a member or not.

Our family is going to our place up north tomorrow for the week (East Bay Lake on the Cisco Chain in Land O' Lakes) so I won't get to meet you this time. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

moonzero2
09-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Greetings,
I noticed one of your documents titled "Displaying The Interceptor". I've never seen this before. Could you send me a scan of this document?
Thanks
Bob
moonzero2@fastmail.fm

Ltvscout
09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=moonzero2]Greetings,
I noticed one of your documents titled "Displaying The Interceptor". I've never seen this before. Could you send me a scan of this document?
Thanks
Bob
Hmm, not sure what you're talking about here. Paste a URL so I know what you're looking at so I can help you out.

moonzero2
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks for asking.
I looked on JimZ's site and found it there under the plans for the interceptor. I should have looked before asking. Thank you.
Looks like a cool launcher to display the Interceptor on!
Have a good day
Bob

Green Dragon
09-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Oh, there's the Astro Bee!...

EV, can you trace out the fin shapes for that one "when you scan the plans and send them to Scott"? :rolleyes:

That was one of my early BAR-days models, and I lost it on like the first or second flight. :(

Craig...

I still ahve the six fins to my own vintage Astro Bee.

will scane em in a few, and send in, anyone who wants em "now' ,instead of waiting until posted someplace, drop me a line .

also, same needs here - is the tube length, and how far up to mount the 'canard' fins - everything else is pretty sefl explanatory.

~ AL

EchoVictor
09-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Al,

here's what you need.....

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=197&highlight=astrobee

Later,
EV

Green Dragon
09-09-2006, 07:30 PM

The first is all my stuff that's fully finished. That green one in the foreground is #1374 Attack Craft Orion, just with a different paint scheme. I think I might try to take her back to the original look.

The second is all my Work In Progress stuff. That big black sucker in the back was my first attempt at cloning (18 years ago) my brother's Centuri ESS Raven.

Picture 3 is of my vintage kits. I'm definitely gonna put together the Alien Explorer and the DST, but I might get rid of (sell/trade) the Boeing ALCM. Scale stuff just doesn't do it for me.

The last picture is self-explanatory. Thank GOD I saved this stuff.

Later,
EV

EV ...

was just looking back though these threads, while hunting for the Scorpius thread, and have a coupel questions on your pics :-)

in pic 1 - what's that bird on the back,left, the yellow/black four finned one, scratchbuilt ? l;ooks neat .

pic 2 - again, the most foreground bird, is that clone or scratch, nothing I recognize...( the gold and balsa one ) ?

like you , and many others, lol, I'm big into the sci-fi stuff, have a few clones going now , started, almost done or cutting fins later,etc... lol.
pics and reports as they get done ( slowly )

~ AL

EchoVictor
09-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Al,

Wow, this thread's a blast from the past! To answer your questions......

1) The black and yellow bird in the first pic was my very first scratch build. I called it the "YellowJacket" based on the paint scheme. It's a BT-20 minimum diameter bird, and since my building skills at that age weren't the best, the variance in the fin tubes makes her spin like a drill on the way up.

I took a few minutes and drew up a PowerPoint file to build her off of. Here's a .jpg of it. PM me if you want the PP original.

2) The gold/balsa one in pic 2 is simply a collection of spare parts and fins. I added a 13mm motor mount, and then I gave it to my daughter. She's since hand-decorated it with craft paints and stickers, and christened it the "Rainbow Girl". It's flown several times on A10-3T's, and it just screams off the pad. Here's the thread with photos....

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=451

If you're still interested I can draw this one up as well.

Later,
EV

Green Dragon
09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
:) glad to take you back, lol .

plans look neat, might have to build that. ;)

As for the other one - I do remember that post witht he kids painting em, would never have thought that was the same bird...unusual again.

~ AL

( needs to be creative or something,my only scratchbuilds are 3fnc's :-)