PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found! Show me yours. :)

Gus
05-21-2020, 05:12 PM
Cleaning up some stuff and look what I found.

Great memories.

BEC
05-21-2020, 06:41 PM
Here's mine....as I wore it to NARAM-56 and since.....

Don Altschwager
05-21-2020, 07:23 PM
Found Mine!

ghrocketman
05-21-2020, 07:45 PM
Will look for mine tomorrow

Bluegrass Rocket
05-21-2020, 08:02 PM
I will have to look for mine as well.

sandman
05-21-2020, 08:55 PM
I have mine!

John Brohm
05-22-2020, 07:38 AM
Sits in my display case, along with a few other Semroc memories

Ltvscout
05-22-2020, 08:29 AM
Here's mine. This is the full set which had been sealed in the bag as Carl had sent it to me. I had not opened it till now for the picture. I just let all the "Semroc Air" escape. Kurt Schachner would tease me about not wanting to open any of my old kits lest I let the Estes or Centuri air escape. :D

Eagle3
05-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Here's mine.

ghrocketman
05-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Like Scott, I just let the Semroc Air escape from the package. Never opened until now.
I really AM A SAM... my middle name is SAMuel. :D

SAM was but one of MANY special things that Carl and Sheryl did for all of us LOONEY BARs here at YORF. They are/were truly a "once in a lifetime" privledge to get to experience. GOLD Standard business and people.

jetlag
05-22-2020, 10:34 AM
I was Sam #50, but my tag is in one of storage bins...

Allen

jeffyjeep
05-22-2020, 03:45 PM
Found it! It was under the seat of the Jeep. I found a French fry also.

erik442
05-22-2020, 05:27 PM
Mine was still in the sealed bag too.

Vanel
05-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Treasured possession - SAM #1.

Gus
05-22-2020, 07:02 PM
Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle! #1 ??????

I thought Buzz and Gordy were impressive.

(Genuflecting in Bill's general direction) "I am not worthy, I am not worthy!" :)

ghrocketman
05-22-2020, 08:17 PM
Very cool, Bill !

SEL
05-22-2020, 08:21 PM
Here's mine. This is the full set which had been sealed in the bag as Carl had sent it to me. I had not opened it till now for the picture. I just let all the "Semroc Air" escape. Kurt Schachner would tease me about not wanting to open any of my old kits lest I let the Estes or Centuri air escape. :D

Penrose Pixie Dust 8-)

MarkB.
05-22-2020, 08:44 PM
Comrades!

Found mine. It was still in the bag, but I had opened it years ago. I have used some of the decals on special rockets over the years.

tbzep
05-22-2020, 11:55 PM

You've got the most important one. I've got the second most important one. #69 :D

jeffyjeep
05-23-2020, 07:16 AM
Comrades!

Found mine. It was still in the bag, but I had opened it years ago. I have used some of the decals on special rockets over the years.

Decals? I don't remember included decals.

Ltvscout
05-23-2020, 07:29 AM
Decals? I don't remember included decals.
Yup, go back and look at my and GH's post.

jeffyjeep
05-23-2020, 09:43 AM

That's awesome!--but I'm surprised Carl or Sheryl weren't #1.

jeffyjeep
05-23-2020, 09:48 AM
Yup, go back and look at my and GH's post.

RATS!! I don't think I got any stinking decals! (stomp, whine, stomp)

Earl
05-23-2020, 09:55 AM
That's awesome!--but I'm surprised Carl or Sheryl weren't #1.

Yes, it is somewhat surprising, but I guess that is just another indication of who THEY thought was No.1: the customer. And that showed through in soooo many ways over the years.

Earl

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2020, 10:24 AM
I still have the decals as well, just in another folder.

mwtoelle
05-26-2020, 11:44 PM
Here's mine. I really enjoyed the discount on orders being both a SAM and a NAR member.

Sheryl@Semroc
05-28-2020, 04:01 AM
Yes, it is somewhat surprising, but I guess that is just another indication of who THEY thought was No.1: the customer. And that showed through in soooo many ways over the years.

Earl

Earl, you all were #1 to us. I wish I remembered how the numbers were distributed. Brings back some wonderful memories.

Thank you, everyone, for making those years so special to us.

Sheryl

Ltvscout
05-28-2020, 07:56 AM
Earl, you all were #1 to us. I wish I remembered how the numbers were distributed. Brings back some wonderful memories.

Sheryl
No, thank YOU, Carl and Bruce! It was like a Golden Age back when you were operating.

Blushingmule
05-29-2020, 08:47 AM
One of the best goodies ever!

Bob

DeanHFox
05-29-2020, 09:57 AM
My two favorite ID's, forever connected next to my workbench. Thanks, Sheryl, Bruce, and especially Carl, for some of the most awesome fun of my life. :)

sandman
05-29-2020, 10:59 AM
While searching I found these.

One of my favorites is the visitor badges from the MLAS launch at Wallops Island.

Gus and Peter should have theirs too.

DeanHFox
05-29-2020, 12:28 PM
Gordy --- now you've made me go digging around for MY "Sky of Gold" badge. It's around here somewhere, and I'd forgotten all about it. I should really keep it with the other Semroc goodies...

Out of curiosity - what is the leftmost Semroc badge in your set? I've seen the graphic before, but not used on an ID badge. Was it some kind of vendor ID at a Semroc-sponsored event?

ghrocketman
05-29-2020, 12:32 PM
Cool badges, Gordy.

sandman
05-29-2020, 02:25 PM
Gordy --- now you've made me go digging around for MY "Sky of Gold" badge. It's around here somewhere, and I'd forgotten all about it. I should really keep it with the other Semroc goodies...

Out of curiosity - what is the leftmost Semroc badge in your set? I've seen the graphic before, but not used on an ID badge. Was it some kind of vendor ID at a Semroc-sponsored event?

Hey, this is kinda fun! :D

Let's all look up the Sky of Gold "stuff". Most of us are home. We all need more stuff to do.

I have a box of Sky of Gold stuff. Let me take some pics.

This is better than Netflix. :rolleyes:

I have another one! :eek:

Let's see your NARAM 50 stuff.

You guys knew you were saving it for a reason.

This stuff is only good for showing off... here. :D

Ya can't use it to impress your new girlfriend. :rolleyes:

Blushingmule
05-29-2020, 03:33 PM
2008? Seems like yesterday. I missed NARAM 50 but got to play anyway!

Bob
p.s. hmmm, this may be cooler than the SAM badge ;)

neil_w
05-29-2020, 05:53 PM
What did you have to do to get one of these (either SAM or Sky of Gold)?

Earl
05-29-2020, 06:46 PM
I for the life of me do not know where my SAM badge is, but I know where my Sky of Gold certificate is. I’ll try to make a photo of it soon. Yeah, really hard to believe that is coming up on 12 years ago.

Earl

SEL
05-29-2020, 07:40 PM
Can't seem to find the SAM Badge, but in order of appearance below:

Photo #1: Golden Scout #'s 62, 63 & 64 with a nice note from Sheryl on the Invoice telling me they started with #60. I'm assuming the first 59 went to various dignitaries. I bought 2 or 3 more after receiving these, which turned out to be a good thing because when I went to build one for NARAM 50, I couldn't find the box with these in it.

Photo #2: Sky Of Gold and NARAM 50 badges and pin.

Photo #3: Golden Scout #340 which I flew at NARAM 50 due to the aforementioned misplacement of lower numbered kits, along with the reproduction Scout give to NARAM attendees. The Certificate is in a file folder somewhere in this mess.

Photo #4: Vintage Astron Skyhook signed by Vern at NARAM 50.

Initiator001
05-29-2020, 07:53 PM
Here's my Sky of Gold Scout (#215) and certificate.

Flown at NARAM-50.

Earl
05-29-2020, 08:24 PM
Ok, pulled out the Sky of Gold certificate and the Golden Scout. Mine was #372. I did not make it to NARAM-50, but flew mine at the local field I had then on a 1968 Estes 1/2A motor. Worked fine.

I'll have to do some more digging for my SAM badge. Gosh, the location on that just stumps me.

Earl

tbzep
05-30-2020, 09:36 AM
What did you have to do to get one of these (either SAM or Sky of Gold)?
This thread might help. There's an explanation in Carl's first post.
https://oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=8271

Eagle3
06-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Flight 89. Also, who else got the Scout in the plastic tube and sheet signed by Vern, Gleda, and Betty?

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Flight 89. Also, who else got the Scout in the plastic tube and sheet signed by Vern, Gleda, and Betty?
I have flight #666 down in my desk.

Gus
06-03-2020, 01:31 AM
A few more special items from the Sky of Gold celebration at NARAM 50.

First, Gleda's signed Sky of Gold hat from the event, purchased at the NARAM 55 Cannon Auction. The picture of Gleda and Emma is the photo Gleda uses for her Scholarship Fund autobiography page. It also brought Emma a lot of luck at NARAM 55.

Gus
06-03-2020, 01:43 AM
Some other items from the Sky of Gold event.

The upscale centerpiece Sky of Gold flying model built by The Rocket Doctor, Ken Montanye, who came up with the idea for the Sky of Gold celebration. the upscale is signed by Vern, Gleda, and Betty Estes.

Two very special commemorative Estes Scout kits withbody tubes hand rolled by Vern and Gleda.

Gus
06-03-2020, 01:48 AM
Emma and Golden Scouts, #44 and #46, signed by Vern, Gleda, and Betty. Emma and I actually flew two other Scouts but kept these low number ones to be signed.

Unopened kit given to me by the Rocket Doctor, Ken Montanye.

That was really a great event! My thanks again to Ken, Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce for making the effort to find a way to celebrate that wonderful milestone. And to the great crew who ran NARAM 50 for making the Golden Scouts such an integral part of the event.

We really are blessed with some wonderful people in this hobby!

ghrocketman
06-03-2020, 05:55 AM
Steve-
That's quite the impressive collection of Golden Scouts.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-04-2020, 04:25 PM
More Semroc stuff from the Golden Age.

Earl
06-04-2020, 05:21 PM

Gosh, how did they do all they did...look at all those kits! In particular, the 'NSL 2007 Family Portrait' poster. Carl had revived the company not too many years before that!! By the looks of all those kits, you'd think they'd been back in business for 20 years!!

What special people and what a special company....

Earl

SEL
06-04-2020, 05:24 PM

Did you specifically ask for the #666?

snaquin
06-04-2020, 05:32 PM
I found my Golden Scout #1068 the other day. Today I unpacked the little display case that I bought for it in 2008 that was packed away and found the certificate and put both back in my display case.

I still can't find my SAM card but I'm still looking ....

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Did you specifically ask for the #666?
Yeah, as a joke. I think some people were requesting some specific numbers and I tossed 666 out there. The rocket arrived a couple of days later.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-04-2020, 06:53 PM
https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=36053&postcount=39 :o

Initiator001
06-04-2020, 11:54 PM
Finally found my Semroc badges.

Amazingly, I found all of them in the box with my NARAM participants packets.

The SAM badge was with my NARAM-60 packet.
My Sky of Gold badge was in my NARAM-50 packet.
The blue Semroc badge was just loose in the box.

Sheryl@Semroc
06-05-2020, 05:10 AM
Thanks guys, brings back so many wonderful memories. Earl, we stayed busy but it was worth all the hours. Thank you all for helping keep us in business for those years. We certainly couldn't have done it without you.

Sheryl

ghrocketman
06-05-2020, 09:28 AM
Thank YOU, Sheryl for all You, Carl, and Bruce did for the BAR community.
Your efforts will NEVER be replicated. Some may attempt, but will never happen.

Earl
06-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys, brings back so many wonderful memories. Earl, we stayed busy but it was worth all the hours. Thank you all for helping keep us in business for those years. We certainly couldn't have done it without you.

Sheryl

We were VERY happy and glad to 'keep you in business'! I guess we all wish it were still going on the way it was but none of us any more than you, I'm sure.

I know you have commented that you do not have much there from the Semroc days and that sadly, what you did have was mostly lost in the house fire.

Is there ANYTHING that we all might have in the way of kits, parts, 'trinkets', etc. that would could send to YOU that you would like to have as a rememberance of those days? I'm not sure what all we might have collectively, but if anyone is gonna have it, it would probably be this group.

Just let us know if you have a 'wish' list of items, regardless of how small or insignificant it might seem, and maybe we can make that wish list come true.

Earl

Chas Russell
06-05-2020, 10:10 PM
I found everything, but my SAM Badge. Cleaned up my small building area, the Dungeon, and found it hiding where it had fallen off of the bulletin board.

Chas

Rocketcrab
06-10-2020, 04:11 PM
I have all 4 of those, but until now had forgotten about them. Now I have to go searching...……. :)

Sheryl@Semroc
06-12-2020, 04:46 AM
We were VERY happy and glad to 'keep you in business'! I guess we all wish it were still going on the way it was but none of us any more than you, I'm sure.

I know you have commented that you do not have much there from the Semroc days and that sadly, what you did have was mostly lost in the house fire.

Is there ANYTHING that we all might have in the way of kits, parts, 'trinkets', etc. that would could send to YOU that you would like to have as a rememberance of those days? I'm not sure what all we might have collectively, but if anyone is gonna have it, it would probably be this group.

Just let us know if you have a 'wish' list of items, regardless of how small or insignificant it might seem, and maybe we can make that wish list come true.

Earl

Thank you, Earl, for your kind offer. As I am getting older, I know I will have to find a smaller place, just not sure where. Know I wouldn't have the room to accommodate more. Just knowing that you remember the old Semroc and some of Carl's work can still be found on the internet is enough for me.

I will always have fond memories of those days.

Sheryl

UMRS
06-17-2020, 09:12 AM

Sheryl

NO Thank you and Carl for making that a magical time I will never forget it. Carl got a lot of us started in the reselling business :)

ghrocketman
06-17-2020, 02:32 PM
+1 to what UMRS just said above.
Without Sheryl and Carl re-introducing the SLS Scorpion and Jaguar way back when, I doubt I would have gotten back into rocketry. I was pretty much RC Aircraft only since after finishing HS in 1988. Reintroducing classics for a reasonable price got me back into the hobby.
Their stellar service, quality, and part selection kept me interested.
Top notch company and folks we will never see the likes of again.
While I am glad that Semroc continues to exist, it's not the same.

Scott6060842
07-31-2020, 07:26 AM
Is www.semroc.com gone now? Doesn't work for me today :(

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-31-2020, 08:14 AM
Is www.semroc.com gone now? Doesn't work for me today :(
There was an issue with the server that housed the old site.

tbzep
07-31-2020, 08:22 AM
There was an issue with the server that housed the old site.
Randy said they had one or two more things to try, and if they didn't work, the site would be gone forever.

However, you can search the wayback machine and get some of the website.

When I learned of Carl's passing, I preserved a good portion of it the best I could at the time, but I didn't get everything and it isn't preserved as a coherent website. HTML isn't always your friend.

Neal Miller
07-31-2020, 10:27 AM
As I have been clearing out most of my collection of model rocketry items, I have been finding
things that I have not see in years. SO here's mine I found it.
I was SAM #0333 and that turned out to be a very good number, as I got to meet Carl at
NARAM 55 in Aurora Ohio. this 1966 Centuri Catalog was Carl's I won this from his son Bruce on Ebay. Yes, I believe that Carl's SEMROC was the CAMELOT of Model Rocketry.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-13-2020, 03:02 PM
I was hunting for a Fat Boy decal for someone on Facebox today and found these.

Ltvscout
08-13-2020, 03:22 PM
I was hunting for a Fat Boy decal for someone on Facebox today and found these.
Skunky beer times!

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-13-2020, 03:26 PM
Skunky beer times!Two years straight! :cool: That takes talent.

Ltvscout
08-13-2020, 03:33 PM
Two years straight! :cool: That takes talent.
:chuckle: :D :chuckle:

ghrocketman
08-13-2020, 05:49 PM
SKUNKY beer times ?
That sounds really N-A-S-T-E-Y, NASTEY !
Few things taste better than a ice cold fresh draft beer, but very few traditionally edible things taste WORSE than SKUNKY beer.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-14-2020, 04:15 AM
SKUNKY beer times ?
That sounds really N-A-S-T-E-Y, NASTEY !
Few things taste better than a ice cold fresh draft beer, but very few traditionally edible things taste WORSE than SKUNKY beer.
Especially when it's supposed to be a high quality pilsner. I didn't say anything until he asked. Twice.

Ltvscout
08-14-2020, 06:59 AM
Especially when it's supposed to be a high quality pilsner. I didn't say anything until he asked. Twice.
How is Scooter doing?

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-14-2020, 07:47 AM
How is Scooter doing?
Fine. More real estate machinations. He's moving to my neck of the woods and he's going to come fly the Codger Squadron at B6-4 Field one day, like it or not. :cool: :D I'll buy the beer. He works in our downtown location, so I see him occasionally when I work there. (Not recently, though.)

snaquin
08-14-2020, 05:58 PM
No, I didn’t run through the streets naked like Archimedes of Syracuse was said to do when he exclaimed Eureka! Eureka! BUT ... I have found it! ... and I am very stoked about it! :D

I knew my SAM badge would turn up in a box of parts. Looks like when I received mine I was working on repairing two EnerJet 1340 clone models as it was found in a small box with two painted Estes fin cans and some short lengths of Semroc LT-125 tubing. I was really beginning to wonder if I would ever locate my SAM badge. :D

I also found a couple of LDRS badges from 1994 and a badge from the Southern Thunder launch in Manchester, TN May 2005. Found these in the bottom of my old range box.

Not nearly as exciting as finally finding my SAM #0052 badge as a great reminder of all the projects that Carl, Sheryl and Bruce helped me to make a reality. Great memories, that’s for sure. :)