PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Estes Python 4 kit-recently discontinued

ASRAAM
06-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi, I'm looking for a recently discontinued Estes Kit. The Python 4 kit.

Last summer I put together a great looking one that flew great. Of course the 1 launch I decide to video tape, it was lost altogether to some impassible terrain...It's out there somewhere still, but a long winter and many rains have ruined it I'm sure.

I searched on ebay, and 1 was recently sold. I contacted the seller and asked if he had any more or knew where to get them. Who knows, maybe the seller is a member here!

Oh, and I just joined. This is my first post. Hope I'm in the right forum for this request!

Thanks!

ASRAAM
06-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Well I found a place online selling the kit, "HobbyConnection.net"

Let's hope they are not the type of place to knowingly list items as in stock when they aren't-and then try to sucker you in by getting an "upgraded" item for "free"

Has anyone used this site before?

DaveR
06-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't know where you're located, but if you have a Hobby Lobby close by they may have one. I was at the local Hobby Lobby yesterday and all of the X-prize kits along with the BLU-97B cluster bomb and GBU-24 Paveway III were on clearance at about 40 - 50 % off. I picked up a Paveway for $6.59. They did not have any Pythons at this particular HL but apparently they are discontinuing all of the "Enduring Freedom" kits so you may have some luck at another location.
Or try:
http://www.redarrowhobbies.com/estes_model_rocket_kits.htm
$9.59 says they have plenty. Listed under Skill Level 2 rockets
Hope this is useful. I'm sure someone else may be able to offer more info.

BTW welcome to the forum, lots of good folks here. :)

ASRAAM
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks. I ordered from the site I mentioned above.

Summer planned launches:

Small (little Fat Boy?) rocket fitted with hacked CVS disposable video camera (1/3 done)
Estes SR-71 (to be built)
Estest Python 4 (ordered)

I refuse to lose any more of these things! I need a good location in northern NJ!

A engines always result in recovery. B's are risky but usually result in recovery. C's at a 50/50 shot in recovery. Think I need to change launch location? :D

ASRAAM
06-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Update: Ordered, received, and built!

Just need to add some reinforcement fillets, sand some glue off...and paint.

I also found a new field to launch at. I haven't gone to visually inspect, but the closest NAR club to me launches there. They have specific areas for RC and rocket launching. Pretty cool that the local municipality has officially labled parts of the park for this! Do you think a C motor would be too much for this park?

Here is a link to the clubs launch guidelines.

http://www.robnee.com/gsss/regulations.php

And a link to the park map.

http://www.somersetcountyparks.org/activities/parks/northBranch.htm

I will try and take some photo's tonight before painting. I've got a video of the first build launching somewhere on a hard drive at home...I'll try and get that up on YouTube.

Hopefully you guys will catch any structual/design flaws before I paint. The first time I built this I made a few mistakes. This time around I made sure I didn't make them again. It came together a lot better this time. I'm looking forward to painting it, instructions say satin/matte finish, but I'm thinking a gloss top coat would look cool. What to you think?

I think it's a pretty mean looking missile. This thing can pretty much do a 180 and take out an enemy aircraft.

Skippy
06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
The Python 4 is a great model. I hated mine while building it because of the problems I had getting a smooth transition between the plastic components and the body tube.

That said, it is a fantastic flyer. C6-5s all the way!

ASRAAM
06-26-2007, 12:22 PM
The Python 4 is a great model. I hated mine while building it because of the problems I had getting a smooth transition between the plastic components and the body tube.

That said, it is a fantastic flyer. C6-5s all the way!

Did you glue the two body halves together and attach the recovery to the nose cone?

I saw someone had done this online and said it was a better way to recover than how the instructions tell you. It's pretty apparant that the instructions were made after the model was designed. The nose cone has a loop in it for you to attach the shock cord, but the instructions don't have you do anything with it. They even make sure to tell you to "carefully" trim out the spacer in the loop!

Skippy
06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Did you glue the two body halves together and attach the recovery to the nose cone?

I saw someone had done this online and said it was a better way to recover than how the instructions tell you. It's pretty apparant that the instructions were made after the model was designed. The nose cone has a loop in it for you to attach the shock cord, but the instructions don't have you do anything with it. They even make sure to tell you to "carefully" trim out the spacer in the loop!

I kept mine with the centre separation because I wanted it to be small for storage. I ran Kevlar from the motor mount out of the bottom tube, and similarly from the nose cone lug out of the top tube. Joined them together with about a metre and a half (~4 feet) of elastic.

Recovers very nicely on a 46cm (~18") Hartle chute.

Rustee
01-28-2008, 03:50 AM
Hi,I bought one Saturday,couldn't resist building on Sunday! I like rockets that look like,well,rockets.The instructions are goofy and the slots in the tailcone are way too big to fit the fins,leaving big gaps to fill.Sure,save the nosecone loop for the shock cord,thread the clay into the tiny hole and tamp it down,then glue it on.What? Why not just cut the whole bottom off?It has a few other anomalies but as I'm sure you all know,haste makes waste.Be sure to check the relationship of the lower centering ring to the tail cone as it determines the height of the motor.The tailcone also interferes with the engine retaining clip.Of course,there are 12 fins to align...On a brighter note,the parts are fairly high quality,sturdy tubes,precise fit(except the fin slots),not too much flash in the plastic parts.For those that are easily irritated,I'd recommend a Menace.It looks like a missle,builds easy,and goes like stink!

Rocket Doctor
01-28-2008, 05:37 AM
Hi, I'm looking for a recently discontinued Estes Kit. The Python 4 kit.

Last summer I put together a great looking one that flew great. Of course the 1 launch I decide to video tape, it was lost altogether to some impassible terrain...It's out there somewhere still, but a long winter and many rains have ruined it I'm sure.

I searched on ebay, and 1 was recently sold. I contacted the seller and asked if he had any more or knew where to get them. Who knows, maybe the seller is a member here!

Oh, and I just joined. This is my first post. Hope I'm in the right forum for this request!

Thanks!

I might have one, PM me.

Rustee
01-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Asraam,if you really want one now you can have mine,I built the lower half though,not 100% perfect but great for a flyer.I haven't touched the nosecone ,parachute or clay.I'm not feeling bad because I found my NIP Omega payloader last week for $14.I'll keep that one and keep looking.I would trade for something interesting.

Ltvscout
01-29-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm not feeling bad because I found my NIP Omega payloader last week for $14.I'll keep that one and keep looking.I would trade for something interesting.
Was that the only "old" rocketry item that hobby shop had? Did you check to see if they had old OOP parts or motors available?

Rustee
01-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Well,as far as old rockets,that's all I saw. I see that Estes only has about 3 engines of each kind,I'll check it out. Any thing in particular you're looking for?

Ltvscout
01-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Well,as far as old rockets,that's all I saw. I see that Estes only has about 3 engines of each kind,I'll check it out. Any thing in particular you're looking for?
Thank you for offering. I personally don't need anything, I was just wondering if you looked for other goodies for yourself.

Rustee
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
That message was for a member named Asraam,looking for a Python 4,sorry.

Rustee
01-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Ah,sorry Ltvscout,I thought you were refering to my original reply.Yes,I've seen OOP kits and motors ,and I'd like to ask members what is collectable.Of course,the rockets you had when you started flying,but what else?.My all-time favouite was my Centuri Space Shuttle,what a performance!

Ltvscout
01-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Ah,sorry Ltvscout,I thought you were refering to my original reply.Yes,I've seen OOP kits and motors ,and I'd like to ask members what is collectable.Of course,the rockets you had when you started flying,but what else?.My all-time favouite was my Centuri Space Shuttle,what a performance!
Rocketry collectors will collect just about anything that is no longer made. Some will specialize in certain areas. If you have a hobby shop by you that has rocketry items that are OOP, consider buying them and reselling either on eBay by auction, or on here in the for sale section after marking them up some. If they're not something you're interested in for yourself it's a way you can make some money to pay for your hobby.

Rustee
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I have listed some rockets on Ebay,they removed my NIP Phoenix claiming it had hazardous materials. BS!! Anyway,my Omega payloader is on there,I still can't believe I found it two weeks ago for $14.95,it was OOP in 1980! If this piques anyone's interest,I might yank it off Ebay for an obscene amount. I think this is an awesome rocket,I'd be pretty silly to sell it actually,it's the ultimate find. I also have my sights on others,I'll keep you posted. I'm so fired up to fly again!

Rocket Doctor
02-05-2008, 05:24 AM
I have listed some rockets on Ebay,they removed my NIP Phoenix claiming it had hazardous materials. BS!! Anyway,my Omega payloader is on there,I still can't believe I found it two weeks ago for $14.95,it was OOP in 1980! If this piques anyone's interest,I might yank it off Ebay for an obscene amount. I think this is an awesome rocket,I'd be pretty silly to sell it actually,it's the ultimate find. I also have my sights on others,I'll keep you posted. I'm so fired up to fly again!

Your first mistake was not putting a disclaimer in your posting. Those at ebay will yank anything, (even your teeth if you have your mouth open) because they have no concept.

In the opening paragraph , put this state in, and you should not have any problems.
"This is a model rocket kit only, no motors, in full compliance with all ebay rules and regulations".

And, any time you mention motors or the power of the kit, put another disclaimer stating (No motors included, for description purposes only).

Good luck on future postings.

barone
02-05-2008, 07:19 AM
I thought that might be yours. I'm watching it. $14.95.......

Ltvscout
02-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Give us a link to your offerings on eBay.

barone
02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Give us a link to your offerings on eBay.
Oh come on Scott......I wanted it for $14.95 ;)

Rustee
02-05-2008, 02:59 PM
My listings have been removed and my account closed. Apologies to any of my fellow YERF members who may have been following my auctions. As far as Ebay goes,I don't do business with Nazis.

STRMan
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I just completed building one. It's presently primed. After a little sanding, I'll give it some finishing paint and decals.