PDA

View Full Version : Top Secret Design !!

James Pierson
06-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Top Secret, Please ;)

This one I built four years ago, my pre-Rocksim days ;) , and I call it the Slam-Jett. I was looking at the Romulan Warbird's wing design and this is what I ended up with. I flew it once on a B6-2 and the ejection charge was way too soon as the parachute was completely ripped off at a high speed. It did however somewhat glide down without a NC for a safe landing. I am currently working on an Slam-Jett II in rocksim and plan on turning this one into a sci-fi Interceptor.

What do you think, have I gone too far :D .

Cool or Freakish???

These are the first photo's even take and posted so here she is: Slam-Jett

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 776907

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/rocketry_preservation_society/Slam-JettFrontView.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/rocketry_preservation_society/Slam-JettSideView.jpg

ghrocketman
06-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Now that one is COOL !
Reminiscent of several of the early 80's Estes Sci-Fi designs
Looks draggy enough to use 24mm engines though.

Tau Zero
06-19-2007, 01:10 AM
This one I built four years ago, my pre-Rocksim days ;) , and I call it the Slam-Jett. I was looking at the Romulan Warbird's wing design and this is what I ended up with.

Cool or Freakish???James,

To answer *all* of your questions,

"Yes." :eek: ;) :D :cool:

Nicely done! (Oops! Your secret's out now! :o )

Cheers,

Gus
06-19-2007, 07:44 AM
James,

Very, very nice.

I'm trying to imagine the color scheme.

EchoVictor
06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
James,

awesome as usual! My only suggestion/preference would be to go without the ring of straws around that upper "ramjet". I think it would look much cleaner and really let the beautiful lines of the fins/wings stand out a bit more.

Too cool! :D

Later,
EV

ghrocketman
06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I actually thought the ring of "straws" around the "ramjet" was one of the BEST features of the design....Don't change it.
Reminds me a lot of of the ring of BT-3 tubes used on the "Galactic Pirates" Dragon Ship 7/Patrol Cruiser Excalibur.

CPMcGraw
06-19-2007, 11:34 AM

Beautiful, JP. Good combination of SciFi features. When you look down the centerline from the front, it has a similarity to that SR-71 & drone combination. Have fun trying to RockSim this one! :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Coo-ell. ;)

James Pierson
06-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks Guys! I am glad you like it. Sometime in the near future I plan on a somewhat simpler design that should be easier to build. Figuring out those wings and aligning them was painful to say the least. Also the new design will be all Semroc parts :D , and as for instruction, you are on your own for now.

EchoVictor Quote:
James,
My only suggestion/preference would be to go without the ring of straws around that upper "ramjet". I think it would look much cleaner and really let the beautiful lines of the fins/wings stand out a bit more.

Eric, with the wing drag mostly on the lower half I thought I needed more drag on the topside so that is why I added the 1/8" paper straws to the upper ramjet. I agree with you though that it does need a cleaner-sleek look. My plan it to move them to the rear on an motor mount tube :confused: .

ghrocketman Quote:
I actually thought the ring of "straws" around the "ramjet" was one of the BEST features of the design....Don't change it.
Reminds me a lot of of the ring of BT-3 tubes used on the "Galactic Pirates" Dragon Ship 7/Patrol Cruiser Excalibur.

I always thought that the Bt-3 were on the rear of the Excaliber, and wasn't the rear BT somewhat scalloped?

Also plan on making the re-design with an ST-13 main body tube and about 30 inches in length. I may also be able to make both an 18mm and 24mm version, but we need to see how much it will wiegh.

CPMcGraw Quote:
Have fun trying to RockSim this one!

Now you know why I have been wanting the non centered fin option in Rocksim :D .
I am still working and changing the file. I will soon post what I have for you folks to review and comment upon.

CenturiGuy Quote:
Nicely done! (Oops! Your secret's out now!)
Actually a relief to post this one. I have been slowly watching Shrox getting closer and closer to my secret wing design, but not quite close enough :D .

Thanks for all your input guys, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

James Pierson
07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Here is a quick image of the latest idea's for the redesign on the Slam-Jett. My idea is to base the 18mm version main body tube using an ST-10. What I am stuck on is the Ramjett pods tubes. I would like to have them larger (ST-13) than the main BT, but this increases difficult with aligning the ramtubes with the BT. To solve this I am thinking of making the ramtubes the same size (ST-10) as the main BT and they can be attached to the main BT laying on its side on a flat surface. This should solve the ramtube alignment difficulties but it does take some variation out of of the design.

The attached image shows one upper ramjett and two smaller lower ramjets. I need your opinion on these ramtubes guys ;) .

I have also attached a really incomplete rocksim file as well.

Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw
07-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Here is a quick image of the latest idea's for the redesign on the Slam-Jett. My idea is to base the 18mm version main body tube using an ST-10. What I am stuck on is the Ramjett pods tubes. I would like to have them larger (ST-13) than the main BT, but this increases difficult with aligning the ramtubes with the BT. To solve this I am thinking of making the ramtubes the same size (ST-10) as the main BT and they can be attached to the main BT laying on its side on a flat surface. This should solve the ramtube alignment difficulties but it does take some variation out of of the design.

The attached image shows one upper ramjett and two smaller lower ramjets. I need your opinion on these ramtubes guys ;) .

I have also attached a really incomplete rocksim file as well.

Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Construction-wise, it looks good. I'd suggest moving the short ST-10 to the rear and use the coupler as part of a long engine mount system. That would leave the entire forward section clean inside for the parachute. The coupler might snag and hang the parachute (or more likely, the wadding) if it gets shoved down too far.

This model requires core-burners to get off the rod, James. A 3/4C19-4 gets it to flight velocity in 18", with just under 500' of altitude, which is reasonable. The B14-4 can do 260' with 23" of guide. Anything else just doesn't have the kick.

James Pierson
03-11-2008, 11:28 PM
:eek: Yep, I finally blew the dust off this thing and went for a more buildable design. I went with all Semroc parts using the BC-726CN cone and nozzle set in the ramjets as it seemed a waste to use another olgive cone. Beside weight is a real factor with this 18mm design. Hope you folks like it, JP. Mian BT is an ST-10-18" long and outter ramjet shell as well which makes for easy alignment.

Updated Rocksim file and photo's posted also.

Thanks Again and Enjoy, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/rocketry_preservation_society/SlamJettPodAlignment.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/rocketry_preservation_society/SlamJettWingAttachment.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/rocketry_preservation_society/SlamJettWingAlignmentPart3.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/rocketry_preservation_society/SlamJettLayoutView.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/rocketry_preservation_society/SlamJettSideClose.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/rocketry_preservation_society/SlamJettSideView.jpg

barone
03-11-2008, 11:47 PM
The pictures are all three years old? Progress? :D

James Pierson
03-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Note to self: Change date on camera to current date. ;)

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

barone
03-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Great looking design. I'm interested in hearing the launch report. Like the balsa cockpit. Sometimes, it's easier to make balsa ones than trying to fold paper (yeah, I've got thick fingers :rolleyes: )

CPMcGraw
03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Looks good, James. Since we're in the SVDT here, are you still using the core-burner files for simulations? I think I mentioned the B14 and 3/4C19 on the previous version; are these still the motors of choice?

James Pierson
03-12-2008, 07:27 PM
barone
Great looking design. I'm interested in hearing the launch report. Like the balsa cockpit. Sometimes, it's easier to make balsa ones than trying to fold paper

Launch report probably a month out unless we suddenly get some fair weather on an Saturday. Hopefully some video as well of this design and the other 11 I have built. I would also like to test fly both old and new version to see how they compare.
And I also prefer the basla cockpit method as well cause I hate folding small pieces of paper as you do. I chew my fingernails too much :o which makes for great fillet welds but poor paper folding :D .

CPMcGraw
Looks good, James. Since we're in the SVDT here, are you still using the core-burner files for simulations? I think I mentioned the B14 and 3/4C19 on the previous version; are these still the motors of choice?

Craig, I neglected to test on the Semroc motors. Have you notice the difference in lift off rod length required with the simmulated Semroc motors VS the Estes simulations. The Semroc sims seem to have more of a initial pad kick off to them which reduces the LL length requirement. One would hope this to be the case in the real Semroc motors. I have a tendance to just use the Estes sims and keep a good eye on the LL length required. If a particular design goes well on the Estes motors sims it will do even better on the Semroc ones.

Thanks for your input guys, JP.

Maybe thinging of an 24mm or 18mm Cluster larger version of Slam Jett in the future :cool: .

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Bob H
03-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Great looking design. I'm interested in hearing the launch report. Like the balsa cockpit. Sometimes, it's easier to make balsa ones than trying to fold paper (yeah, I've got thick fingers :rolleyes: )It's also easy to make clear plastic bubble canopies.

The ones made from Night light/Christmas tree packaging are smallish (about 1-1/2"), but the ones made from large candellabra based decor bulb packaging are a good size.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/featured/tip_featured5.shtml