PDA

View Full Version : Naram-49

Initiator001
06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Okay, NARAM-49 is only a month away!

Who will be attending?

What rockets will you be bringing/flying?

I like the look of this flying field. If anyone here has flown on this field, how about some details?

See you there!

Bob

Pyro Pro
06-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I'll be there :)

Bringing my Hustler (planning to fly on a G71R), SPEV, Point, Little Joe II, Defender (if built), and a few scratch built designs. Going to try to enter in C Scale altitude, A Helicopter, and C Rocket Glider for B Division (currently waiting on RG and Helicopter kits from QCR). The field and surrounding area looks very nice, should be a lot of fun :D

sandman
06-28-2007, 07:01 PM
It's not what to bring. The problem is what to leave home!

I always bring too many rockets! :rolleyes:

I'm trying to line up a camper to bring so I can stay on the field...less driving. :D

barone
06-28-2007, 07:25 PM
I'll be there but mainly for the competition......every event if I can get my R&D project completed by then. Already got my room reserved and pre-registered. The only sport rocket I plan on bringing is the Roachwerks Nike-Hercules. I think it won't qualify for the C scale :rolleyes:

sandman
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
I'll be there but mainly for the competition......every event if I can get my R&D project completed by then. Already got my room reserved and pre-registered. The only sport rocket I plan on bringing is the Roachwerks Nike-Hercules. I think it won't qualify for the C scale :rolleyes:

No...I don't think 4 "A"s will lift it.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-28-2007, 10:13 PM
I probably won't decide until right around the deadline. It's close enough that I'll be able to drive up Friday night and stay for the weekend sport flying. I guess it depends on finances and gas prices. (Which are one in the same, aren't they? :D )
That said, I guess I'll have to give some thought to a NARAM-worthy project, eh? :rolleyes: ;)

Gus
06-29-2007, 02:47 AM
I was planning on being there the whole week but now it appears childcare issues may intervene. :(

I plan on at least flying my Apollo Pad Abort 1 and The Barbie Chucker even if I can only make it for one day.

Initiator001
07-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Okay folks,

I'm packed and ready to head on Monday morning.

I'm planning five days from San Diego to Kalamazoo. No rush.

I'll be checking in during my drive and while I'm at NARAM.

I hope to have some good pictures to post!

I hope to see many of you there! :D

Bob

DaveR
07-25-2007, 10:12 AM
To all that are going to NARAM, good luck!! :) Hope you all do well. Have fun and take lots of pics for us that won't be attendng.

Gus,
I plan on at least flying my Apollo Pad Abort 1 and The Barbie Chucker even if I can only make it for one day.

I'm thinking we need a pic posted of this "Barbie Chucker", the name alone has me curious. :confused:

Chris_Timm
07-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I probably won't decide until right around the deadline.

If you don't show up, I'll have to find another worthy candidate for my box of rocket prangs, messed up paint jobs, and incomplete constructions.

Eagle3
07-25-2007, 03:18 PM
To all that are going to NARAM, good luck!! :) Hope you all do well. Have fun and take lots of pics for us that won't be attendng.

I'm thinking we need a pic posted of this "Barbie Chucker", the name alone has me curious. :confused:

http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/jmrc26june05/P6261373

I'll be there with JMRC running the sport range Saturday through Monday. Not sure how much flying I'll get in on the weekend, but I'm planning to fly my Maxi Marauder L2 cert on Monday. Other than that, I know I'm bringing my Sky Dart. :p

DaveR
07-25-2007, 03:28 PM
http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/jmrc26june05/P6261373

I'll be there with JMRC running the sport range Saturday through Monday. Not sure how much flying I'll get in on the weekend, but I'm planning to fly my Maxi Marauder L2 cert on Monday. Other than that, I know I'm bringing my Sky Dart. :p

LMAO, Just about what I expected, creative to say the least. :D

Best of luck on your cert flight. I'm sure it'll come off without a hitch.

sandman
07-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm ready!

Truck is loaded (way more rockets than I should be taking! :rolleyes: )

Going to leave sometime tomorrow...not sure...it's only 4 hours+ or- away.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Once again, with NARAM less than 5 hours away from my doorstep, life has conspired against me. I just cancelled my hotel reservations and won't be doing the weekend sport fly like I had hoped. I'm bummed, but we're in the midst of a financial crisis brought on by the cost of gas and an expensive month of July for each of our two kids. (Driving lessons and preparations for a skating show were two of the big culprits.)

sandman
07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Bill, as long as you show up.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
No, I think the rocket godz have spoken. Apparently I had too much fun at NSL. No NARAM for me. :(
Now I have to find someone to help me drink the Christian Moerlein OTR Ale (OTR stands for Over The Rhine, which is the old German section of Cincinnati,) and Kentucky Ale, which is brewed in Lexington, KY. Not sure why I wound up with two ales. Nothing else had any local color whatsoever. :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Bill,
You have PLENTY of beverages in Kentucky with local color that you could have brought !
Some of the names include Knob Creek, Blanton's, Bookers, Maker's Mark, and my favorite, Wild Turkey 101 ! :D :p ;)

Now that's REAL Kentucky FLAVOR !!!!!

Initiator001
07-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Okay, folks!

I made it to the NARAM hotel and unpacked my car.

Anyone else at the hotel, yet, or will be soon?

Bob

Royatl
07-27-2007, 05:19 PM
I won't even leave until 3-7 am. Durn, Michigan is EDT. I was hoping to pick up an hour that way.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Bill,
You have PLENTY of beverages in Kentucky with local color that you could have brought !
Some of the names include Knob Creek, Blanton's, Bookers, Maker's Mark, and my favorite, Wild Turkey 101 ! :D :p ;)

Now that's REAL Kentucky FLAVOR !!!!!

How true. :D I could have brought them, but I couldn't have had any. :rolleyes:

Initiator001
07-28-2007, 08:16 PM
As I pulled into the entrance of the NARAM-49 flying field I noticed the 'Cowatorium Drive" signs.

I realize some folks may not believe that such a place exists, so I pulled my car along the fence next to the signs and took a picture. :D

Bob

Initiator001
07-28-2007, 08:41 PM
For a picture more related to this forum, attached is a launch picture of my Semroc SLS Explorer powered by a C11-3 motor taken at the NARAM-49 launch site.

Bob

dwmzmm
07-28-2007, 10:56 PM
For a picture more related to this forum, attached is a launch picture of my Semroc SLS Explorer powered by a C11-3 motor taken at the NARAM-49 launch site.

Bob

Nice pictures! Also looks like a great place to fly all kinds of models; sure wish I could be
there (heck, it's now near the end of July and it's STILL raining almost everyday here in the
Houston area!!).

Have fun and keep us posted....

Royatl
07-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I got into the motel at about 11pm after spending about 30 minutes at the Night Launch. Chad greeted me in the lobby. I checked the bulletin board for some room locations, but otherwise, I came straight up here to right to sleep. So what am I doing? Sending emails to the cat sitter, to our club (who also had a night launch tonight), and of course, this message.
And making coffee (decaf). As it turns out, I still can't make good coffee from one of these hotel thingys.

See y'all in the morning.

ARTU
07-31-2007, 07:44 PM

Bob

Hi Bob,

you had some really great models you flew this weekend.

Glad I could lite a few for ya'

Art

Initiator001
07-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Bob,

you had some really great models you flew this weekend.

Glad I could lite a few for ya'

Art

Thanks, Art.

Too bad you could not stay for the entire week. I have my Enerjet models going up on Wednesday. ;)

Bob

Eagle3
08-01-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm back and I'm beat. 600 launches Saturday thru Monday. I stayed most of the day Tuesday to chat with friends, check out the vendors one last time, and fly a few. It was great seeing some old friends again; Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce, Bob (Initiator001), and many more. Vern and Gleda were at the Semroc tent yesterday as well. BTW - Sheryl is probably going for her L1 today with a Semroc Arcas. Good Luck!

I flew the Sky Dart a few times and nearly lost it on a C. After that it was back in the box. My L2 was successful on Saturday. Flew my upscale Marauder on a CTI J285 to 2,500'. Dual deployment worked perfectly. That made the whole weekend for me!
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~buzznau/images/Buzz-L2.jpg

Some of the weekend highlights, we had one L flight and a few K's. One other L2 cert other than mine that I'm aware of. I'll remember more as I go through the photos.

Now, I need to get caught up at work. I'll try to have my NARAM photos online soon.

Initiator001
08-01-2007, 07:24 PM
It was good seeing you, Buzz.

Thanks for all your help on the Sport Range.

Bob

Initiator001
08-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Wednesday was a mixed flying day for me at NARAM.

The folks from LAUNCH magazine were present and wanted to take pictures of my Enerjet models/clones.

My repaired Semroc SLS Hustler had another good launch on an AeroTech E15-4W. Unfortunately, the igniter clips/wires were pulled along by the model at liftoff which affected it's altitude. After ejection, the screw-eye pulled out of the payload section balsa transition. The payload section hit a fin hard and snapped it off. I recovered all the parts but I think it would be best just to 'retire' this model. :rolleyes: The only good news was this time pictures of the liftoff were captured.

The Semroc SLS Aero-Dart looked to have a normal flight on an AeroTech E15-7W. After recovery, I noticed that one of the fins had acted like a knife and cut away 20% of the balsa payload section bulkhead. :eek: Ugh.

Now it was time to fly my scratch-built Enerjet clone models.

First up was my Enerjet Aero-Dart on an E15-7W. A solid boost and nice, gentle recovery. As I picked up the rocket, I was relieved to find there was no damage at all to the model. Whew! :)

Finally, it was time to fly my Enerjet Nike Ram made with heavy-wall Semroc tubing. It boosted high into the sky and floated down near the boundary of the field. I recovered the rocket and found that, it too, had no damage. :D

So, two for four today at the NARAM field.

Bob

Chris_Timm
08-02-2007, 10:30 AM
My first flight at NARAM was my MRC Standard ARM.
Second flight was an OMEGA clone using SEMROC parts on a D12/D12-7 combo.
I used the rail launcher to cut down on the weather-cocking and it worked out well.
The booster had such a high rate of spin when tumbling down that one fin snapped off cleanly.
Easy repair.
Next flight with the OMEGA had a third stage added.
Another flawless flight and recovery.

All photos taken by Chris Taylor (borrowed from naramlive webpage).

Initiator001
08-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Thursday was a lite flying day for me as I wanted to watch the G Superroc event.

I did make two flights.

First was my Arreaux on a F23-7FJ motor.

The second was my Initiator using a F27-4R (Redline) motor. The picture shows a red flame in the image.

I filmed video of the 'E' (A & B Division) and 'G' (C & Team Division) Superroc flying so I don't have any still images to post.

Bob

Sirius Rocketry
08-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Evie and I had a good weekend at NARAM, got a chance to meet up with a lot of our friends and even make some new ones. We could only be there for the sport flying weekend, but that was enough time to meet up with lots of our friends and even get to spend some time with our favorite vendor friends.

Have to thank our good friend Jim Flis for the jumpstart when Evie left the key in accessory all day while the fans in the van blew and ran the battery down... Jim jumped to the rescue without batting an eye.... we made it home, we knew Jim's truck battery was good for jumpstarts as well as efficiently lighting large clusters! The "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" with the McLawhorns were great, looking foward to the next time! And Bill, I hope the "little terror" did not come by your booth too many times!

While I am busily working on all the things I have going on, I did have to take time out to share a picture that really sums it all up for me. I think over the weekend, we answered questions at the Semroc booth, and when we needed to step out for a moment, Bruce watched over our booth, and here is a picture of Carl working.... the FlisKits booth! Jim was trying to get some off the pad, and there was Carl ... deeply discounting all the FlisKits! (Just kidding!) The other vendors really make it fun for us, and we all look out for each other!

Evie and I were quite bummed when we had to leave Sunday afternoon...

Initiator001
08-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Dave,

It was good to meet you and Evie.

The parachutes you sold me worked great in my Enerjet clones! ;)

Bob

JRThro
08-02-2007, 08:38 PM
While I am busily working on all the things I have going on, I did have to take time out to share a picture that really sums it all up for me. I think over the weekend, we answered questions at the Semroc booth, and when we needed to step out for a moment, Bruce watched over our booth, and here is a picture of Carl working.... the FlisKits booth! Jim was trying to get some off the pad, and there was Carl ... deeply discounting all the FlisKits! (Just kidding!) The other vendors really make it fun for us, and we all look out for each other!
Man, that's really great!!

Sirius Rocketry
08-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Dave,

It was good to meet you and Evie.

The parachutes you sold me worked great in my Enerjet clones! ;)

Bob

Likewise Bob!

Evie always thought the Intitiator was cool, and was happy to meet you as well! I only wish I got to stick around long enough to see your Enerjet clones fly! The weekend was not enough time for everything!

Dave

Royatl
08-03-2007, 12:03 AM

And hey! That's me with my back to the camera, trying to convince Carl to let me take one of every FlisKits as a sample! (Just kidding, too!)

Carl@Semroc
08-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Later in the day, I was filling in for John Dyer in his booth while he was helping a young competitor at the pads. A youth that had been one of my earlier "Fliskits" customers looked at me funny and said, " Aren't you supposed to be in that (Fliskits) booth over there?" I said, " I am SUPPOSED to be in the one over THERE (Semroc.) He was a little confused.

Jim was telling several that I was the cheapest "Booth Rent-a-babe" that he could locate for fill-in.

Eagle3
08-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey Carl, did Sheryl get her L1 cert? I'm bummed I couldn't hand around long enough for that and the Mfg Forum Tuesday night.

Sheryl@Semroc
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey Carl, did Sheryl get her L1 cert? I'm bummed I couldn't hand around long enough for that and the Mfg Forum Tuesday night.Buzz and all,
Yes! I got my Level 1 Cert with my SLS Arcas on an H97-M. You will all have to sign it next time I see you. John Lyngdal did my check-in, John Dyer of Red River and Chas Russell signed my form and John Lyngdal and Bruce were my recovery team.

Thanks for asking. Pyro Pro has photos.

Pyro Pro
08-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Here are the pictures:

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-03-2007, 07:26 PM
"Booth Rent-a-babe" :eek: :eek: :eek:
I had a scary moment there. I pictured Carl in a Hooter's girl outfit. I think I'll soak my inner eye in bleach.

Eagle3
08-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Buzz and all,
Yes! I got my Level 1 Cert with my SLS Arcas on an H97-M. You will all have to sign it next time I see you. John Lyngdal did my check-in, John Dyer of Red River and Chas Russell signed my form and John Lyngdal and Bruce were my recovery team.

Way to go Sheryl, Congrats!!!

Thanks for posting the photos Pyro. :)

JRThro
08-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I had a scary moment there. I pictured Carl in a Hooter's girl outfit. I think I'll soak my inner eye in bleach.
DANG!!! Pass the bleach this way when you're done.

No offense to Carl at all, btw.
:eek: :D

snaquin
08-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Buzz and all,

Sheryl,

Congratulations on your Level 1 Cert!

I can't wait to get my SLS Arcas next week to start putting it together. Loved the pics Pyro Pro had of your flight.

I hope I can get my SLS Arcas looking as clean as yours!

Ltvscout
08-04-2007, 12:27 PM
So I heard that there was a small uproar at the Town Hall meeting. Something about allegations of cheating by a well known rocketeer family.

Would someone that attended the meeting care to enlighten us?

Ltvscout
08-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Did anyone go to the auction? If so, what kind of cool, old goodies were auctioned and what kind of prices did they get?

Carl@Semroc
08-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I had a scary moment there. I pictured Carl in a Hooter's girl outfit. I think I'll soak my inner eye in bleach.Sorry Bill, "Booth rent-a-babe^H^H^H^Hhunk"

Naw. Jim could not have afforded me in a Hooter's girl outfit!! :eek: Much less at NARAM!

I got my first pink slip on Friday. While Bill was away, I sold one of his nose cones for a dollar. He asked me which one and I told him it was one of those 80 things. I am either fired or on probation until I can identify nose cones a little better!

Initiator001
08-04-2007, 06:02 PM
So I heard that there was a small uproar at the Town Hall meeting. Something about allegations of cheating by a well known rocketeer family.

Would someone that attended the meeting care to enlighten us?

I attended the Town Hall Meeting and there was no uproar OR discussion of cheating by anyone.

I don't know where anyone came up with that rumor. :confused:

Bob

Ltvscout
08-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I attended the Town Hall Meeting and there was no uproar OR discussion of cheating by anyone.

I don't know where anyone came up with that rumor. :confused:

Bob
Just what I heard from someone else that was at NARAM but missed the Town Hall meeting. I'll ask for clarification.

Chris_Timm
08-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Did anyone go to the auction?

A mystery box went for $55.

Clues were.......

Atlas.
Collectible.
Can be converted for flight.

Lots of old motors.
Lots of tubes.
Lots of Star Wars rtf starter sets.
Lots of Glow-Sticks.
Bag of Balsa Cones from BMS.
One batch of NARAM patches!!!
Some interesting & very old stuff from Vern--- motors, literature, etc...
Most of Vern's items fetched $100 and up.
Just a few kits though.

barone
08-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Well....I know who supplied the mystery box...... ;)

Gee, I was so busy on the competition range that the only time I looked at the sport range was when a BIG motor went off...... :(

Chris_Timm
08-04-2007, 08:07 PM

Was the mystery ever revealed?

Pyro Pro
08-04-2007, 09:33 PM
There was a photocopied replica catalog 261 that, I believe, got over $100.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-04-2007, 10:17 PM
DANG!!! Pass the bleach this way when you're done.

No offense to Carl at all, btw.
:eek: :D

It's in the mail. I've moved on to Boric Acid. :eek:

Royatl
08-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Nope, no allegations that I was aware of.

I bought one of Vern's sets of motors: Centuri-by-Estes motors from 1975. One was a B14-7 that Vern correctly guessed was an un-drilled motor. I also bought a couple of old 21mm D motors from FSI.

Sheryl@Semroc
08-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Sheryl,

Congratulations on your Level 1 Cert!

I can't wait to get my SLS Arcas next week to start putting it together. Loved the pics Pyro Pro had of your flight.

I hope I can get my SLS Arcas looking as clean as yours!

Steve,

As long as you stand 10' away, it really doesn't look too bad, just don't get too close. Working with epoxy (my first time) is not fun. I'll have to stick to making parts and bagging them rather than putting them together.

Will have your Arcas in the mail Monday.

Sheryl

Ltvscout
08-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Buzz and all,

Congratulations, Sheryl!

Unfortunately, my attempt at an L1 back in August 2002 didn't go as well. Below are the pics from that fateful day. I kind of lost my ambition for high power after that. It went up on an H238T which by everyone's account that witnessed the flight had only half the "umphh" it should've had. It barely got to 300-400ft. The ejection charge went off just before impact making the damage even worse.

Sheryl@Semroc
08-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Congratulations, Sheryl!

Unfortunately, my attempt at an L1 back in August 2002 didn't go as well. Below are the pics from that fateful day. I kind of lost my ambition for high power after that. It went up on an H238T which by everyone's account that witnessed the flight had only half the "umphh" it should've had. It barely got to 300-400ft. The ejection charge went off just before impact making the damage even worse.

Thanks, Scott.
Don't blame you for losing interest for high power after that, especially after building the rocket (yours really looked much better than mine) and getting a bad motor. Just doesn't seem right! I'm sticking to making parts, instructions, bagging, ect. Building is just not my thing!

Sheryl

barone
08-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Was the mystery ever revealed?
Didn't hear of any reveal except what I heard at the soda machine...

Chas Russell
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
It was a busy NARAM. Brought models to sports fly, but ended up volunteering as RSO and LCO for the internats team selection flyoffs.
Five days of competition.
Monitoring and signing off on Sheryl's Level 1.
More running than I've done recently.
Trying to enrich most if not all of the vendors.
Auction, R&D presentations, beerloft, socializing, and the list goes on.
Flew one sports flight - a Fliskit Corona II that had about 3000 miles on it and no flight until Friday between scale altitude flights.

And sitting at the banquet table with Gleda and Vern.

I would have given it all up to see Bill's smiling face at NARAM. Had to drink his share of the beer that I hauled up from Fort Worth <g>.

Chas

Eagle3
08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I have my photos of the sport launch (Saturday through Tuesday) on line. I still need to add a lot of captions. If you see something of yours without a caption shoot me a PM and I'll add the information.

http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/naram49

Chris_Timm
08-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Didn't hear of any reveal except what I heard at the soda machine...

LOL!

One would never imagine that all the good behind-the-scenes info gets dished out at the vending machines.

I'll post a pic later and the mystery will be visually revealed.

Uncle Chas got hisself a nice scale kit at the auction. :)

I wonder who got the 'slightly used' Centuri parachute?

Chris_Timm
08-06-2007, 10:44 AM
I have my photos of the sport launch (Saturday through Tuesday) on line. ]

Nice job Buzz.
You really made my week as I didn't take a single photo all week!

Chas Russell
08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Chris noted:

"Uncle Chas got hisself a nice scale kit at the auction."

Yes. Yes I did. Always wanted one and leapt at the opportunity. A lovely lady suggested that I have Chris autograph it, but I did not see him the next day. Was not aware that he is Vincent Hobbies.

Pod Bay Doors Team was very busy throughout the week assisting the three Steele girls. Uncle Pat McCarthy was unable to attend, so Matt and I were doing double duties. Which would explain why I almost flew my one sports flight with the upper stage motor reversed...

Chas

sandman
08-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Great lift-off pics Buzz. All of my pics are of smoke trails. :mad:

I really should just give up on the action fotos. :rolleyes:

barone
08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Chris noted:

"Uncle Chas got hisself a nice scale kit at the auction."

Yes. Yes I did. Always wanted one and leapt at the opportunity. A lovely lady suggested that I have Chris autograph it, but I did not see him the next day. Was not aware that he is Vincent Hobbies.

Pod Bay Doors Team was very busy throughout the week assisting the three Steele girls. Uncle Pat McCarthy was unable to attend, so Matt and I were doing double duties. Which would explain why I almost flew my one sports flight with the upper stage motor reversed...

Chas
Chas....I note you're a retired missile tech.....which system?

barone
08-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Don't know if anyone has seen this sight yet, but Chris has posted some pictures from NARAM here. I even got to be in a few....look for my easily recoverable A HD model.....

http://www.nerys.com/naramlive/naramlive/index.html

Initiator001
08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I have my photos of the sport launch (Saturday through Tuesday) on line. I still need to add a lot of captions. If you see something of yours without a caption shoot me a PM and I'll add the information.

http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/naram49

Great pictures, Buzz!

Congrats on your Level 2.

Bob

Chas Russell
08-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Barone inquired:

"Chas....I note you're a retired missile tech.....which system?"

Sorry I missed you at NARAM. Kind of hard when we don't have website names on our nametags.

My first system was the AGM-28B Hound Dog missile. It was already being phased out. Air-breathing turbojet with a megaton of fun in the nose. One of the first missiles to use radar-asorbing materials. In this case in the air inlet. Rumor had it that they put one in full-throttle at high altitude and reached Mach 4. Rumor, I repeat.

Next was the AGM-69A Short Range Attack Missile. I put the first line of SRAM on alert at Mather AFB, CA. The dual-pulse motor was the first stage of the proposed nti-satellite weapon that was tested from an F-15. The system was retired mainly due to the senitive HE in the W-69 warhead. The motors were still good and were purchased by a defense company.

Added the AGM-86B Air Launched Cruise Missile in 1980 or so. A ton and half of turbofaned cruise missile. Most of them were later converted to the "C" conventional version. See Desert Storm and Gulf War I.

Tagged for the BGM-109G Gryphon Ground Launched Cruise Missile, a modified Navy Tomahawk. The Army and Air Force fought over who would field the system in Europe. The Air force lost. The Army had the Pershing II and both were retired along with the USSR SS-20. We are talking the Cold War here for you youngsters.

Last system was the AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile. Just barely got it into operation at Carswell Air Plane Patch here in Fort Worth when they decided to close the SAC unit here. The few remaining B-52H models carry the ACM externally, which is too large to fit on a rotary launcher in the BUFF's bomb bay. The B-52H is finally a stand-off cruise missile carrier. Penatrating missions now belong to the B-2A Stealth Bombers. Perhaps augmented by things we don't know about. The Pentagon doesn't tell me this stuff.

None of these missiles would really do well as a scale model. Don't think I haven't thought about a large Hound Dog....

Chas

snaquin
08-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Steve,

As long as you stand 10' away, it really doesn't look too bad, just don't get too close. Working with epoxy (my first time) is not fun. I'll have to stick to making parts and bagging them rather than putting them together.

Will have your Arcas in the mail Monday.

Sheryl

Sheryl,

Thanks so much. I saw the email this morning showing that my order has been updated to shipped! :D

I know Semroc probably left in a hurry for NARAM and the SLS ARCAS was a last minute update to the website, but when you or Carl have time could you post or update the link to the RockSim file for the Semroc SLS ARCAS? I don't think it's working.

I'm really looking forward to this kit!

barone
08-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Barone inquired:

"Chas....I note you're a retired missile tech.....which system?"

Sorry I missed you at NARAM. Kind of hard when we don't have website names on our nametags.

My first system was the AGM-28B Hound Dog missile. It was already being phased out. Air-breathing turbojet with a megaton of fun in the nose. One of the first missiles to use radar-asorbing materials. In this case in the air inlet. Rumor had it that they put one in full-throttle at high altitude and reached Mach 4. Rumor, I repeat.

Next was the AGM-69A Short Range Attack Missile. I put the first line of SRAM on alert at Mather AFB, CA. The dual-pulse motor was the first stage of the proposed nti-satellite weapon that was tested from an F-15. The system was retired mainly due to the senitive HE in the W-69 warhead. The motors were still good and were purchased by a defense company.

Added the AGM-86B Air Launched Cruise Missile in 1980 or so. A ton and half of turbofaned cruise missile. Most of them were later converted to the "C" conventional version. See Desert Storm and Gulf War I.

Tagged for the BGM-109G Gryphon Ground Launched Cruise Missile, a modified Navy Tomahawk. The Army and Air Force fought over who would field the system in Europe. The Air force lost. The Army had the Pershing II and both were retired along with the USSR SS-20. We are talking the Cold War here for you youngsters.

Last system was the AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile. Just barely got it into operation at Carswell Air Plane Patch here in Fort Worth when they decided to close the SAC unit here. The few remaining B-52H models carry the ACM externally, which is too large to fit on a rotary launcher in the BUFF's bomb bay. The B-52H is finally a stand-off cruise missile carrier. Penatrating missions now belong to the B-2A Stealth Bombers. Perhaps augmented by things we don't know about. The Pentagon doesn't tell me this stuff.

None of these missiles would really do well as a scale model. Don't think I haven't thought about a large Hound Dog....

ChasSounds like you were around a while. I started duty with the Titan II in Arkansas. When SAC phased those out, I moved to ALCMs (AGM-86B) and the B-52s at Eaker AFB in Arkansas (you see a pattern...?). When they closed that base, I moved to SAC HQ in the ICBM Operations section (working with Minuteman and Peacekeeper missiles). Then they shut down SAC (I was in Omaha a little over a year) and moved the ICBM operations to ACC (previously TAC) HQ at Langley. Then, a little under a year later, they moved the ICBM operations to Space Command in Colorado Springs. I moved more the last six years I was in the military than I had the previous 14!

While I was working with the BUFFs in Arkansas, I had the unique honor of being the acceptance official for modified Hound Dog pylons. They were converted to carry conventional munitions on the underside of the BUFF wings. We deployed them during Desert Storm. The pylons almost doubled the load the buff could carry each mission.

mperdue
08-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Hello fellow missile techs. I worked on LGM-30G, Minuteman III at Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota.

Mario

Eagle3
08-07-2007, 11:48 AM
AGM-78 while assigned to VA-115 and forward deployed on the USS Midway 1981-84

Chas Russell
08-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Don brought back memories:
"While I was working with the BUFFs in Arkansas, I had the unique honor of being the acceptance official for modified Hound Dog pylons. They were converted to carry conventional munitions on the underside of the BUFF wings. We deployed them during Desert Storm."

Don't I know that! Wow, we had them here at Carswell AFB (now the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth Carswell Field). They had modified the Hound Dog mating area (covered with a "canoe" when empty) to carry pylons for the AGM-69A Short Range Attack Missile. The engineers decided that unlike the winged Hound Dog, the SRAM were dead weight and would crack the wing box. Solution? Put ALCM pylons that were bigger and had another additional 6K pounds of missiles on the them. That'll work.
The 7th Bomb Wing here was a double wing and had a large conventional as well as SIOP mission. I was one of the few folks assigned to the Munitions Maintenance Squadron who had a Hound Dog background. The HD pylon was modified with a strongback to hold the ejector racks for conventional weapons. I ran the Weapons Release section for over a year. Got real intimate with BUFF wiring, some of it original from the factory.

It is good to see the military presence here on the forum. I remind folks that I was a model rocketeer first. Then a missileman.

After 21.5 years in service, I have always thought of myself as a patriot. My wife reminds me that I am a minuteman...

Chas
E-7, Master Sergeant, USAF

barone
08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
:rolleyes: Don brought back memories:
"While I was working with the BUFFs in Arkansas, I had the unique honor of being the acceptance official for modified Hound Dog pylons. They were converted to carry conventional munitions on the underside of the BUFF wings. We deployed them during Desert Storm."

Don't I know that! Wow, we had them here at Carswell AFB (now the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth Carswell Field). They had modified the Hound Dog mating area (covered with a "canoe" when empty) to carry pylons for the AGM-69A Short Range Attack Missile. The engineers decided that unlike the winged Hound Dog, the SRAM were dead weight and would crack the wing box. Solution? Put ALCM pylons that were bigger and had another additional 6K pounds of missiles on the them. That'll work.
The 7th Bomb Wing here was a double wing and had a large conventional as well as SIOP mission. I was one of the few folks assigned to the Munitions Maintenance Squadron who had a Hound Dog background. The HD pylon was modified with a strongback to hold the ejector racks for conventional weapons. I ran the Weapons Release section for over a year. Got real intimate with BUFF wiring, some of it original from the factory.

It is good to see the military presence here on the forum. I remind folks that I was a model rocketeer first. Then a missileman.

After 21.5 years in service, I have always thought of myself as a patriot. My wife reminds me that I am a minuteman...

Chas
E-7, Master Sergeant, USAFTalk about small world...I ran the Weapons Release Section at Eaker! Before they moved me to the Munitions Storage Area to work with the ALCMs. I've been out for over 10 years now and every once in a while have a flashback to aircraft generation on the flightline....flashback...I mean nightmare

barone
08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey Loretta....it was great to meet you and your crew at NARAM. Did you ever find that backslider that seemed to have vanished in thin air?

Lady Hawk
08-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Hey Loretta....it was great to meet you and your crew at NARAM. Did you ever find that backslider that seemed to have vanished in thin air?

You 2.
Ya we found it. It went in the other direction than that which it was last seen.

Loretta

Chris_Timm
09-03-2007, 07:07 PM

Mystery solved!