PDA

View Full Version : Virtual NARCON

GuyNoir
12-04-2020, 10:53 AM
For those who may not of seen it yet, NARCON 2021 will be virtual.

https://www.nar.org/narcon-2021/

Here's your opportunity to "attend" without having to travel! :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-04-2020, 11:28 AM
For those who may not of seen it yet, NARCON 2021 will be virtual.

https://www.nar.org/narcon-2021/

Here's your opportunity to "attend" without having to travel! :)
Solo beerlofting is what got me in trouble in my 20's. :o

Earl
12-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Looks like Bernard Cawley (BEC here) will be one of the presenters. Altimeters maybe?

Looks like a good opportunity to attend a NARCON...never been to one.

Earl

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Looks like Bernard Cawley (BEC here) will be one of the presenters. Altimeters maybe?

Looks like a good opportunity to attend a NARCON...never been to one.

Earl
Been to two. Better than NARAM. :cool:

BEC
12-04-2020, 12:30 PM
Yep - altimeters. What else? :)

Specifically altimeters for and in NRC events. Let me know if there is something in particular you would like me to cover or show as my talk is still in the rough outline stage.

rocket.aero
12-04-2020, 12:44 PM

Agreed. I've never crashed a rocket at NARCON, and everyone seems to smell better. <G>

James

Earl
12-04-2020, 01:45 PM
Yep - altimeters. What else? :)

Specifically altimeters for and in NRC events. Let me know if there is something in particular you would like me to cover or show as my talk is still in the rough outline stage.

I'm sure you will cover it and I suspect any altimeter purchased would talk about this, but the size ports needed to ensure proper and accurate sampling and just how the altimeter should be mounted too to ensure same.

And of course any of the 'extra' little 'best tricks of the trade' that only come from flying altimeters quite a bit. I've never even flown one. :(

Earl

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-04-2020, 03:52 PM
Agreed. I've never crashed a rocket at NARCON, and everyone seems to smell better. <G>

James
:chuckle:

BEC
12-04-2020, 03:57 PM
I'm sure you will cover it and I suspect any altimeter purchased would talk about this, but the size ports needed to ensure proper and accurate sampling and just how the altimeter should be mounted too to ensure same.

I do intend to spend quite a bit more time on installation considerations including both of those points than the usual article seems to, including mine in the 2020 NAR Member Guidebook.

And of course any of the 'extra' little 'best tricks of the trade' that only come from flying altimeters quite a bit. I've never even flown one. :(

Earl
I’ve been thinking about how, in the virtual environment, to present some of that sort of thing. There has to be something better than just having you look at a static picture on a slide on a screen.

tbzep
12-04-2020, 03:59 PM
There has to be something better than just having you look at a static picture Even if it's a static port? :D

snaquin
12-04-2020, 06:38 PM
I’m looking forward to this I need to block off 1/2 day vacation for that Friday afternoon :)

I made my first NARAM with the successful Virtual NARAM so tee up NARCON ... this will be my first NARCON too :cool:

snaquin
12-04-2020, 06:50 PM
I do intend to spend quite a bit more time on installation considerations including both of those points than the usual article seems to, including mine in the 2020 NAR Member Guidebook.

I’ve been thinking about how, in the virtual environment, to present some of that sort of thing. There has to be something better than just having you look at a static picture on a slide on a screen.
I have to say if not for your detailed reporting on your many successful AstroCam flights with your FS MINI onboard I wouldn’t have even known about that company to make the purchase. I had never heard of FlightSketch before you mentioned them. I liked the FS MINI so much I waited patiently for the restock email and bought a second one :D

I especially like that flights and pictures can be posted to their website, very cool and what a great feature :cool:

https://flightsketch.com/flights/1343/

https://flightsketch.com/flights/1342/

Please touch on this awesome, affordable and yet very simple Bluetooth altimeter! I can’t wait for the release of some of their other planned products.

;)

BEC
12-04-2020, 07:08 PM
Please touch on this awesome, affordable and yet very simple Bluetooth altimeter! I can’t wait for the release of some of their other planned products.

;)

I have been flying them since the betas over a year ago, and I will certainly have to say something about the Mini, and also the upcoming Comp (as I have been flying a prototype). BUT....I was asked to focus on altimeters for the National Rocketry Competition events and the FS devices are not yet accepted for contest use by the NAR. I have been working with Russ (the man behind FlightSketch) and with the NAR contest board chairman to facilitate that wherever I could, but at the moment the ball is in Russ' court (and he has real life, job, kids and COVID complications in same to deal with along with working on FlightSketch stuff and running his web store). I won't go into details here about why it's not yet contest accepted, but there is still some work to do on the on-board software to get it there.

That said, the majority of the time it does a wonderful job and the price/feature combination is simply unbeatable. For sport flying it is great as is, though I recommend one look at the graph of the flight and not just the summarized data.

snaquin
12-05-2020, 04:59 PM
I have been flying them since the betas over a year ago, and I will certainly have to say something about the Mini, and also the upcoming Comp (as I have been flying a prototype). BUT....I was asked to focus on altimeters for the National Rocketry Competition events and the FS devices are not yet accepted for contest use by the NAR. I have been working with Russ (the man behind FlightSketch) and with the NAR contest board chairman to facilitate that wherever I could, but at the moment the ball is in Russ' court (and he has real life, job, kids and COVID complications in same to deal with along with working on FlightSketch stuff and running his web store). I won't go into details here about why it's not yet contest accepted, but there is still some work to do on the on-board software to get it there.

That said, the majority of the time it does a wonderful job and the price/feature combination is simply unbeatable. For sport flying it is great as is, though I recommend one look at the graph of the flight and not just the summarized data.
I got my Virtual NARCON ticket last night and I have your session marked as attending :)
Looking forward to it Bernard!
It’s cool you are working with Russ. I hope he is very successful with his FlightSketch line of products and can get contest acceptance. I plan to fly mine again when our field reopens in the spring.

Ltvscout
12-06-2020, 07:36 AM
Good times!

BEC
01-05-2021, 04:01 PM
Even if it's a static port? :D

Maybe you're right. :)

Anyone else have a suggestion? I'm working on this presentation currently.

5x7
01-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Maybe you're right. :)

Anyone else have a suggestion? I'm working on this presentation currently.

Keep it clean and stay sober? Always good advise I think. :)

shockwaveriderz
01-05-2021, 08:42 PM
I just bought a FS Mini because it fits in really small spaces.

I can't wait to get one if their FS Comp.

Terry

Don Altschwager
01-28-2021, 04:46 PM
Just wondering, how many Ye Olde Rocket Forum regulars are planning on attending?

Have my ticket and agenda all planned. The drive will be short this year; just have to go downstairs.....

Scott_650
01-28-2021, 05:01 PM
Signed up this morning - since it’s not looking good for a launch Saturday I’ll be “at” the convention all day.

ghrocketman
01-28-2021, 11:50 PM
Attending a convention of any sort in a sober condition sounds lousy.
Bring single malt Scotch. Macallan 25 is superb.

Initiator001
01-28-2021, 11:54 PM
I will be host of the Manufacturers' Forum Friday night. ;)

BEC
01-29-2021, 01:30 AM
By chance have you been beta testing the new FS Sport? If so, could you talk about it at the vNarcon?

Sorry, no. I have been flying a prototype FS Comp for some time, but have not tried the Sport (or any other deployment altimeter).

I REALLY wish the SST would reach flyable before NSL....but considering all else that's going on in the world, I'm not going to hold my breath for either the Sport or NSL this year.

Ltvscout
01-29-2021, 08:16 AM
Will anyone here be attending the social hours tonight or Saturday or the virtual beer loft on Saturday? That's through Zoom and doesn't appear you need to buy a ticket since the Zoom ID and password are listed on the NARCON site.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2021, 08:48 AM
Will anyone here be attending the social hours tonight or Saturday or the virtual beer loft on Saturday? That's through Zoom and doesn't appear you need to buy a ticket since the Zoom ID and password are listed on the NARCON site.
Car shopping looks to be filling my weekend, so I doubt I'll have the chance to do either. You know I love a good beer lofting. :rolleyes: :cool:

snaquin
01-29-2021, 11:37 AM
Will anyone here be attending the social hours tonight or Saturday or the virtual beer loft on Saturday? That's through Zoom and doesn't appear you need to buy a ticket since the Zoom ID and password are listed on the NARCON site.I’m going to try to make the Virtual Beer Loft on Saturday. I definitely have the tour of LOC Precision, Manufacturers Forum and tour of Estes Industries on my must see list :D

snaquin
01-29-2021, 11:37 AM
I will be host of the Manufacturers' Forum Friday night. ;)Looking forward to this Bob!

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 12:00 PM
I opened up the event to make sure everything was ok just in time to hear the board vote to make all issues other than the current one of Sport Rocketry available online.

Ltvscout
01-29-2021, 06:44 PM
Can someone that saw the manufacturers forum list the highlights here for us?

rocket.aero
01-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Can someone that saw the manufacturers forum list the highlights here for us?

Hasn't taken place yet, starts in about 45 mins.

It's not too late to register!

James

Ltvscout
01-29-2021, 06:50 PM
Hasn't taken place yet, starts in about 45 mins.

It's not too late to register!

James
I'm on vaca down on Fort Myers Beach. Just got back from drinking up during Happy Hour. I may not make it that long. :chuckle:

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 08:26 PM
Estes - next bring back is an upsized Orbital Transport, Mars Snooper and ANTAR are enroute, new starters released early spring, strong hint/teaser on licensed products from actual aerospace companies, new Space Force kit that resembles the old Centuri X-24 - not a glider, C5-0 is coming - not this year along with higher impulse booster motors, Hobby Lobby unique designs are being swapped out Feb/Mar - will include the Mars Leaper.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2021, 08:32 PM
Sounds great! :cool: Thanks for the update.

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 08:38 PM
North Coast - 24mm powered Argo Javelin - smaller/cheaper, Big Daddy-ish Scorch kit using body wraps - pseudo military style, tail cone style motor retainer - compatible with Estes screw on retainer, bring back of the 2.6” Corporal, printed catalog coming soon, 4” kits coming - 29mm powered (including the Quasar, Phantom, Big Brute), r/c version of the F-117, Interceptor G is possible, eventually.

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 08:40 PM
Estes catalog - coming early February. If you ordered from Estes website in last 6 months you’ll get one in the mail.

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 08:44 PM
ASP - 13mm Black Brant 3, Aerobee 150 1.9” optional parts for different versions included, more MMX kits coming - all scale kits, another 24mm scale kit coming - later this year - more details as we get closer to release.

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 09:03 PM
Apogee - GPS controlled chute still in-work but it is coming, new module in RockSim Pro - Launch Visualizer - 3D animated Google Earth-like simulation of rocket flight/recovery, eventually Visualizer will be on website and will run sim files independent of RS, v10 of RS out shortly.

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 09:09 PM
IMPLS Launch System - owner Thomas Kindig pretty much gave a briefing on his really slick looking and operating launch rack and controller consoles. I won’t repeat it here the info is on the website https://www.implslaunch.com.

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 09:39 PM
Aerotech/Quest - F52C Enerjet 66.2 N-sec, 1.3 sec burn time, USPS mailable, 5-8-12 delays, mimics original exhaust, updated old style Enerjet graphics, Spring release, 29mm G8/12ST long burn/end burner motors, 130/144 N-sec, plugged only, Spring release too, three new/bring backs from Quest - Sport, Lightning (30mm diam), Icarus (35mm diam) - 24mm with included 18mm adapters - Icarus w/wood fins the others plastic, 24x70mm D22W QJets - 19.3 N-sec, E26W QJets, 27.9 N-sec (Estes E9 equivalent) - both motors lighter than BP equivalent and both mailable, BlackMax QJets coming eventually, L and M long burn motors definite possibility, Blue Thunder QJets a definite possibility too, more reloads (Redload?) for the 29mm Hobby-line case.

turbofireball
01-29-2021, 09:55 PM
I have two observations. It seemed that Randy Boadway/eRockets was slated to present stuff. What happened? Hope everything is ok.

Secondly, Estes really didn't show a lot new from the last manufacturer's forum. There was a rehash of kits already available (no discussion about the Big Red Max), a more complete Dark-1 (X24 Buglike kit), Mars Snooper upscale box (no built-up), the new Antar was shown, AstroCam by itself, new igniters (same as last time), and the new catalog. Really the only thing else announced officially was an Upscale Orbital Transport.

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 09:56 PM
All the new Aerotech and Quest motors are TRA certified and either currently have or will have California Fire Marshal approval by the time they go on sale.

Scott_650
01-29-2021, 09:57 PM
I have two observations. It seemed that Randy Boadway/eRockets was slated to present stuff. What happened? Hope everything is ok.

Secondly, Estes really didn't show a lot new from the last manufacturer's forum. There was a rehash of kits already available (no discussion about the Big Red Max), a more complete Dark-1 (X24 Buglike kit), Mars Snooper upscale box (no built-up), the new Antar was shown, AstroCam by itself, new igniters (same as last time), and the new catalog. Really the only thing else announced officially was an Upscale Orbital Transport.
Randy popped up in the “window” during an early presentation for a moment but I didn’t see him after that. He looked good by the way.

Bill Stine said to watch whatever rocket it is he drops during the Estes tour Sunday for a big hint on what the forthcoming licensed rocket is. I’m guessing it’s something from SpaceX.

turbofireball
01-29-2021, 10:47 PM
Bill stated that the contracts with possibly SpaceX were not settled yet, thus he wouldn't comment on it. He also said the video of the factory tour was shot earlier, so I doubt a SpaceX kit would show up for the same reason. He also stated it was a scale kit, not a licensed kit, and Bill tends to be very careful with his wording.
I am also surprised he didn't show another new item that Estes has already told the hobby shops/distributors is coming soon.

BEC
01-29-2021, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I wondered what happened to Randy Boadway. He did pop onto the screen early on, but maybe he just couldn't hang in when the thing ran 40 minutes over even without him. I expect he's still recovering.

I think the biggest surprise for me was the 24mm x 70mm Q-Jet D22s and E26s. I can think of a few models that are set up for C11/D12 that will literally get quite a kick out of those, including that Super Mars Snooper that Bill Stine mentioned, since he said it will be 24mm. At NARAM last summer he was soliciting input as to whether it should be 18mm or 24mm. Glad the latter won out.

I thought those faux nozzles that Matt Steele showed that will fit over the 29mm Estes screw-on retainer rings were a cool idea. I'll be watching for those.

ghrocketman
01-30-2021, 02:14 AM
I see a mention of the C5-0 coming back from Estes

Was there any mention/discussion of a possible return of the B8 series
engines ?
Getting at least the B8-0 or B14-0 back would allow one to fly a 3-stage flight of an Astron Farside, Arrow-300, Centuri T-Bird, or Comanche-3 with a good chance of recovering all stages.

Scott_650
01-30-2021, 06:03 AM
I see a mention of the C5-0 coming back from Estes

Was there any mention/discussion of a possible return of the B8 series
engines ?
Getting at least the B8-0 or B14-0 back would allow one to fly a 3-stage flight of an Astron Farside, Arrow-300, Centuri T-Bird, or Comanche-3 with a good chance of recovering all stages.
No discussion of specific new Estes motors past the C5-0 - just a very broad mention of motors with different/more power.

Gary Rosenfield specifically said there’s not going to be any QJets smaller than 18mm - so no 13mm motors.

Scott_650
01-30-2021, 08:03 AM
So who’s presentation do I watch live this afternoon - John Coker’s on dual deployment or our own Bernard Cawley’s on altimeters? Whichever I pick I’ll watch the recorded version of the other eventually but just like a ballgame, the recorded one’s not the same as live 😉

Scott_650
01-30-2021, 08:34 AM
For those of you who avoid TRF here’s the link to the Aerotech presentation http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/uploads/815156e8-80d6-485f-8212-78f5361e6714_Manufacturers%20Forum%20Presentation.pdf

Ltvscout
01-30-2021, 08:50 AM
For those of you who avoid TRF here’s the link to the Aerotech presentation http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/uploads/815156e8-80d6-485f-8212-78f5361e6714_Manufacturers%20Forum%20Presentation.pdf
Gary had already posted it here:

https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19270

:D

snaquin
01-30-2021, 09:07 AM
If anyone is attending GPS Systems for Sport Rockets by Will Marchant please post some details here. I just found out I am going to miss this 10:00AM presentation but I will be back around the time of the lunch break to catch all the afternoon stuff I have blocked off. Thanks! :)

BEC
01-30-2021, 12:46 PM
So who’s presentation do I watch live this afternoon - John Coker’s on dual deployment or our own Bernard Cawley’s on altimeters? Whichever I pick I’ll watch the recorded version of the other eventually but just like a ballgame, the recorded one’s not the same as live 😉

I guess that is up to you. I have a slide early on that ends with "If you’re looking for info on deployment altimeters, you’re in the wrong talk. Sorry...."

So a clear choice. :D

Royatl
01-31-2021, 01:50 AM
If anyone is attending GPS Systems for Sport Rockets by Will Marchant please post some details here. I just found out I am going to miss this 10:00AM presentation but I will be back around the time of the lunch break to catch all the afternoon stuff I have blocked off. Thanks! :)

remember we'll have 30 days to watch any/all of the sessions. And those that haven't registered can still register, even after the conference ends.

Just $25! a Steal.

Scott_650
01-31-2021, 02:22 PM
Bill stated that the contracts with possibly SpaceX were not settled yet, thus he wouldn't comment on it. He also said the video of the factory tour was shot earlier, so I doubt a SpaceX kit would show up for the same reason. He also stated it was a scale kit, not a licensed kit, and Bill tends to be very careful with his wording.
I am also surprised he didn't show another new item that Estes has already told the hobby shops/distributors is coming soon.
You are correct sir - the model he dropped (which WAS edited out but he pointed it out) was...Nike-Hercules! Looked like a fairly small scale, maybe even 13mm powered but it was a very short view.

Scott_650
01-31-2021, 02:37 PM
Bill just mentioned a specific future motor - higher powered B class booster.

Scott_650
01-31-2021, 02:55 PM
It sounds like the future licensed SpaceX and Blue Origin rockets from Estes will be part of the 1/200 RTF line like the Saturn V and SLS. I can see that - those are dual purpose flyable/display models.

Scott_650
01-31-2021, 03:25 PM
A definite but disappointing answer from the chat session after the Estes video tour - no 29mm motors coming to Hobby Lobby. We can infer that also means no 29mm powered kits at Hobby Lobby as welll since they only stock complimentary rockets/motors.

ghrocketman
01-31-2021, 05:35 PM
Liking to hear there will be a higher power B motor and a small Nike Herc.

Ltvscout
01-31-2021, 05:43 PM
Bill just mentioned a specific future motor - higher powered B class booster.
Maybe a B with the number 14 after it? :D :chuckle:

BEC
02-01-2021, 12:50 AM
My bet will be that it'll be an 8 rather than 14 — but that will still be something useful indeed.

ghrocketman
02-01-2021, 01:28 AM
Be it a B8 or B14, either in a -0 delay will be most welcome as a booster instead of the B6-0.
One could reliably again fly a 3-stage 18mm powered rocket without fear of an extreme VEER upon clearing the launch rod.

Once this happens, they can discontinue the B6-0 and nobody will miss it.
It would be great if we could get the B8 or B14 back in -3,5,7, and 0 delays. Not sure why the B14-6 ever existed...seems like an un-needed delay.

In the past I probably used more B14-0s than any other B14. The B14-7 was a close second.

snaquin
02-01-2021, 08:36 PM
remember we'll have 30 days to watch any/all of the sessions. And those that haven't registered can still register, even after the conference ends.

Just $25! a Steal.
Appreciate it Roy. I didn’t realize while watching the sessions over the weekend that it was as easy as switching to “show past sessions” to immediately view what I missed. I knew that later some would appear on NAR or YouTube but this is great. I just watched the Estes Tour with Bill Stine that I missed Sunday. Fascinating as I have never been on a tour of Estes and Bill Stine had such an interesting session. How about those glass cases in his office or the rooms packed full of stuff that weren’t on the tour! :)

shockwaveriderz
02-02-2021, 08:17 AM
Be it a B8 or B14, either in a -0 delay will be most welcome as a booster instead of the B6-0.
One could reliably again fly a 3-stage 18mm powered rocket without fear of an extreme VEER upon clearing the launch rod.

Once this happens, they can discontinue the B6-0 and nobody will miss it.
It would be great if we could get the B8 or B14 back in -3,5,7, and 0 delays. Not sure why the B14-6 ever existed...seems like an un-needed delay.

In the past I probably used more B14-0s than any other B14. The B14-7 was a close second.

why would anybody want an underpowered B8 or B14.....doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of having either in the 1st place.? The new C5-3 is 1.31 Nsec weaker than the original. The average thrust is 1.35 Nsec less than the original. The old C5 actually was a C5. this new one is C4. The initial thrust spike is almost identical. All of this leads me to believe the culprit is that the BP has a much lower Isp than the 1995 BP did. The old C5 was a 91% C while the new one is a 78% C...... That's a full 13% difference.

for avg Thrust:

Average Thrust = Favg = (propellant weight flowrate) * Isp [Isp = specific impulse]

PS for you that didn't know Estes has used various different BP thruout it's history. For example it started out using DuPont, then Goex, then CIL, KIK, then back to Goex. All BP is not created equal in strength or Isp.

the Dupont plant in PA blew up while they where building the current GOEX plant in LA. The GOEX plant is the only BP manufacturing plant in the US. There used to be several but they either blew up or went out of business. CIL is Canadian Industries Limited. KIK is a Slovenia company or was. Your probably wondering how can BP be weaker or stronger? well it depends primarily on the Charcoal that is used in the manufacture of BP. ie the actual tree types the charcoal is made from. For example some people believe the charcoal in GOEX is made from Maple trees. GOEX has never really divulged exactly what trees it does use. But there are hardwood and softwood charcoals and they end up making different strengths of BP.
GOEX is actually owned by Hogsdon Power company.

I forgot to say that in addition to the actual trees used to make charcoal.....another important step is HOW you make the charcoal from the trees....Depending on the way you "cook" charcoal, ie make it, you can increase the Carbon content, which is what you want, high carbon content charcoal. Poor charcoal and hence poor or low carbon content in the charcoal can result in poor ie weak BP.....

Royatl
02-02-2021, 12:57 PM
Appreciate it Roy. I didn’t realize while watching the sessions over the weekend that it was as easy as switching to “show past sessions” to immediately view what I missed. I knew that later some would appear on NAR or YouTube but this is great. I just watched the Estes Tour with Bill Stine that I missed Sunday. Fascinating as I have never been on a tour of Estes and Bill Stine had such an interesting session. How about those glass cases in his office or the rooms packed full of stuff that weren’t on the tour! :)

As I said to Bill in an email yesterday, this was a great complement to the in-person tour at NARAM-60 a couple of years ago. At that time, the Langfords had been in charge only four months, and Bill had been there only two. This filled out a number of gaps (we didn't go in the machine shop; we could just peer into John Boren's lab, didn't go upstairs into the exec offices (which probably hadn't been moved into anyway); didn't see the west side of the building at all, no darkrooms, no photo/video studio, no big wood USPS doors, and of course, no access at all into engine manufacturing (just what we could see through an open door in one of the Mabel buildings, from outside the compound).

the video only showed the output of the starter machine and the casing printer though, where we got to examine the details like the welding of the bridge wire, the shaking of loose casings so they'd end up in the correct orientation for printing.

Royatl
02-02-2021, 01:02 PM
I forgot to say that in addition to the actual trees used to make charcoal.....another important step is HOW you make the charcoal from the trees....Depending on the way you "cook" charcoal, ie make it, you can increase the Carbon content, which is what you want, high carbon content charcoal. Poor charcoal and hence poor or low carbon content in the charcoal can result in poor ie weak BP.....

I believe willow wood is the preferred wood to cook black powder charcoal from. Don't know if it's in short supply, can't be grown fast enough, or what.

shockwaveriderz
02-02-2021, 02:29 PM
I believe willow wood is the preferred wood to cook black powder charcoal from. Don't know if it's in short supply, can't be grown fast enough, or what.
it's preferred by pyrotechs in the fireworks industry to make their home grown BP...the problem with it is there are literally 100's of species..... Ian Von Maltitz, in his book, "Black Powder Manufacturing Testing and Optimizing" has 2 very interesting chapters on Charcoal and woods. IVM of course is the current Estes BP guy. I guess, unless he's been replaced or retired by now.

In propep3, the propellant design tool, they only offer you 3 choices of charcoal: Carbon (Amorphous), Maple or Oak

My favorite is The Role of Charcoal in the combustion of Black Powder 1980...it synthesizes several earlier studies into one and does a comparison/contrast analysis.

Scott_650
02-02-2021, 03:07 PM
it's preferred by pyrotechs in the fireworks industry to make their home grown BP...the problem with it is there are literally 100's of species..... Ian Von Maltitz, in his book, "Black Powder Manufacturing Testing and Optimizing" has 2 very interesting chapters on Charcoal and woods. IVM of course is the current Estes BP guy. I guess, unless he's been replaced or retired by now.

In propep3, the propellant design tool, they only offer you 3 choices of charcoal: Carbon (Amorphous), Maple or Oak

My favorite is The Role of Charcoal in the combustion of Black Powder 1980...it synthesizes several earlier studies into one and does a comparison/contrast analysis.

Big disclaimer - I am not an amateur fireworks or pyrotechnics guy, have NO interest in becoming one, and know nothing about the website witchatabuggywhip or the people who own it or provide content (they could be red headed lizard eating tree worshipers from Pluto for all I know).

This discussion sent me down the BP and charcoal rabbit hole while I waited to watch SN-9 crash even harder than SN-8 - sure glad that “abrupt” less than nominal landing didn’t take out SN-10! I found an interesting website about the potential differences in BP formulation with burn trough tests of a bunch of different charcoals used in what I assume is amateur made BP:

http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/blackpowder2.html#charcoal

http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/charcoal_tests.html

The variation in powders based on what tree the charcoal came from is, at least to me as a thought exercise, fascinating.

shockwaveriderz
02-02-2021, 03:36 PM
Scott: check this out:
https://pyrodata.com/chemicals/Charcoal

Scott_650
02-02-2021, 03:56 PM
Scott: check this out:
https://pyrodata.com/chemicals/Charcoal
These amateur fireworks folks are even bigger data nerds than rocketeers!

ghrocketman
02-03-2021, 09:10 AM
Wow !
That pyro site has a LOT of info.
One would think a company that uses as much BP as Estes could specify how the composition is to be made.
I know in my industry (automotive) we specify what we want and the supplier better do it or someone else who will gets the contract. Either that or maybe they should blend their own BP to ensure the isp is "up to spec" instead of just accepting "whatever GOEX give them".
I would think Estes would be one of their largest customers and losing the contract would be a big loss of revenue.

PaulK
02-06-2021, 08:33 AM
So, back on topic, Virtual NARCON was a hit as far as I'm concerned. The Estes tour by Bill was a great way to end it, and the last question he answered was a great way to end the Q&A. How many of us eventually get our dream job?

I found it interesting that he still hasn't explored the whole place, stuff keeps turning up. Including a bunch of film, hopefully including the film shown for tours (that I no doubt saw in the early 70s).

BEC
02-06-2021, 12:16 PM
Agreed. That there are rooms full of stuff that hasn't been looked at in years gives hope for all sorts of interesting finds. It makes me want to go on a road trip and volunteer to do a little cleaning of the metaphorical closets.... :D

Initiator001
02-06-2021, 09:02 PM

<SNIP>

Randy is fine.

He posted on the NAR Facebook page that he was having internet problems and couldn't take part in the Manufacturers' Forum.

On that same Facebook post he has a video he was hoping to present about the new building he has moved eRockets/Semroc into. New product for Semroc is the Scissor-Wing Transport.

ghrocketman
02-06-2021, 11:22 PM
Wonder what is going on with the Semroc upscaled Orbital Transport ?