PDA

View Full Version : D12-3

ddanhra69
07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
I've been flying my old Phoenix on D12's for a long time. Suddenly I open a new pack and can't get the darn engine in. It is so tight, there's NO way except for some modification of the engine. I even tried the other 2 and opened yet another pack, still so darn tight. The previous several were sliding right in. Any opinions? What do y'all think? The engine mount looks great!! Thanks, D.A.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Some of them swelled. I remember talk about this on OldRockets, but I can't remember the specifics. When it happened to me, I peeled away THIN layers of the casing until it fit, but as they say, YMMV. I understand that this probably isn't a great idea, but I paid for it, dammit, I was going to fly it. :mad:

Zeus-cat
07-26-2007, 11:23 PM
I've had the same problem too. It seems to hit Estes 24mm engines the worst (D12 and E9). I also peel off a few layers of paper from the engine casing to get them to fit.

cas2047
07-27-2007, 07:31 AM
I've had the same thing happen also, mostly with D's and E's, and it seems to be happening more frequently. I usually hand sand the outside of the casing until it fits.

rocketguy101
07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I have a couple that slide in until you get to the nozzle area and then it's tight. I was wondering if you could sand/peel with no ill effects. Guess I'll try it.

Zeus-cat
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
rocketguy101,

I would take an X-acto knife and run it around the base of the motor using moderate pressure (enough to cut through 2 or 3 layers of paper). After completly circling the motor, go up to the line you just made and cut down to the base of the motor. Starting at the cut, peel off several layers of paper. Repeat as needed to get the motor into the motor mount.

Zeus-cat

dwmzmm
07-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Most of the time, I find that if you're using Estes' BT-50 tubings, their D12's & E9's will fit
tight. That's why I now use the white walled 24 mm tubings you can get from BMS, LOC,
etc., (same for the 18 mm & 13 mm tubings). The D12's & E9's seem to fit in those white
walled tubings better.

rocketguy101
07-27-2007, 09:42 PM
In my case the D12 fits fine until the last 1/4" or so at the nozzle end then it gets really tight. The first time I stuck this engine in the rocket, I had to use a dowel to push it back out, and it wasn't that tight going in. I think the case swelled when the nozzle was pressed.

rocketguy101
07-28-2007, 12:39 PM
I would take an X-acto knife and run it around the base of the motor using moderate pressure (enough to cut through 2 or 3 layers of paper). After completly circling the motor, go up to the line you just made and cut down to the base of the motor. Starting at the cut, peel off several layers of paper. Repeat as needed to get the motor into the motor mount.

Zeus-cat

Thanks, that was easier than sanding--now to fly the thing!!