PDA

View Full Version : Baffle for my "Rocket Propelled Goony"

Solomoriah
07-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Here's the rocket I'm designing:

http://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/images/rocketpropelledgoony-3d.jpg

The lower body tube (inside the shroud) is a BT-20, while the fat upper section is BT-60. I'll be using the centering rings from a Baby Bertha to fit the lower tube to the upper. I'm considering putting three small holes in the BT-20 between the centering rings, and offsetting three small holes in the upper centering ring, forming a baffle. Oh, and of course, plugging or covering the top of the BT-20. By "small holes" I mean around 0.25" to 0.4". I may insert one of those Estes "thrust ring tools" into the BT-20 to strengthen it before I put holes in it.

Has anyone tried this sort of baffle? Would it be enough to allow me to do away with the fireproof toilet paper, or would I still need some?

dwmzmm
07-22-2007, 10:54 PM
I've used similar baffles like what you're describing; see my thread under Projects on the
Estes K-36 Saturn - V Build (you'll see some pics of my baffle I made for it). Also used a
similar baffle on my Maxi-AlphaX4 that used four 24 mm engines; out of two successful
launches, the nylon parachute barely got any scorches (although the model was lost on
its' second flight).

Below is pic of that last flight of the Maxi-AlphaX4 at McGregor, TX (NSL-2006). Picture
taken by Tim Sapp of the DARS Section. Model used two D12-7's & two E9-6's.