PDA

View Full Version : New offerings from Semroc

Ltvscout
07-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Just in time for NARAM (http://www.naram.org), Semroc (http://www.semroc.com) has released their SLS Arcas (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KS-5) and a retro-repro clone of the Centuri Space Shuttle (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-38).

If you get your order in by Thursday, July 26th at 3pm EST, your order will get shipped this week. Any orders placed after that will be shipped starting the morning of Monday, August 6th.

For more information, see the Semroc Minute (http://www.semroc.com/documents/semroc-minute3.html).

cas2047
07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I saw that this morning in the Semroc Minute. Very cool birds!

I wonder why the SLS Arcas is more expensive than the Sat 1B. The Sat 1B is $55 and the SLS Arcas $60. Not that it isn't worth it, I'd just expect the Sat 1B to cost more to manufacture and package than the SLS Arcas.

Anyway that's two more AWSOME Semroc birds that will eventually have to join my fleet. :)

Chas Russell
07-24-2007, 10:59 AM
I would hazard a guess that the SLS Arcas is priced higher than the Saturn IB kit due to the vey large nose cone turning and the balsa tail cone, plus the 24 inch nylon parachute. I didn't see any mention of interchangable motor mounts or adapters.
Mine has already shipped, but I leave for NARAM Thursday.

Chas

cas2047
07-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Good points. Plus since it can be flown on an H engine it must be a very sturdy beast.

Maybe my real question should have been "How the heck does Semroc produce such an awsome Sat 1B kit for $55?" :)

EchoVictor
07-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Sweet. Order in!

Thanks, Carl!

Later,
EV

foose4string
07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Ordered my Shuttle about 10:30 last night. Was shipped today. Yippeee! :D

Carl@Semroc
07-24-2007, 10:44 PM
I would hazard a guess that the SLS Arcas is priced higher than the Saturn IB kit due to the vey large nose cone turning and the balsa tail cone, plus the 24 inch nylon parachute. I didn't see any mention of interchangable motor mounts or adapters.
Mine has already shipped, but I leave for NARAM Thursday.

ChasAll that and 1/8" basswood laser cut fins, six foot 110# elastic cord, 24mm to 29mm adapter, and plywood baffle. The SLS kits are more than just bigger, they are made of much more expensive materials. The tube is a thick-wall version of the BT-70 that costs over twice as much for a given length. Basswood costs twice as much and takes over twice as long to cut. Nylon is much more expensive than poly. Tent quality elastic cord is almost three times more expensive than thinner versions.

If we had built the Arcas with standard materials like BT-70, balsa, and poly chute, it would have probably been in the $35-$40 range, but for that size, it would not have lasted long enough for us and would never have allowed the use of high power engines without lots of glassing.

Initiator001
07-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Carl,

Make sure to pack plenty of those new kits along with everything else you are bringing to NARAM. ;)

Speaking of packing, shouldn't you be getting on the road soon? :D

Bob "Already two days on the road" Sanford

Royatl
07-24-2007, 11:41 PM
So Bob,
You're only going about 400 miles a day??

Carl@Semroc
07-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Carl,

Make sure to pack plenty of those new kits along with everything else you are bringing to NARAM. ;)

Speaking of packing, shouldn't you be getting on the road soon? :D

Bob "Already two days on the road" SanfordWe will try! We might have put them online a little too early this time!

We are planning on leaving about 3 am on Friday. We only have about 13 hours.

See you there!

Initiator001
07-25-2007, 07:00 PM
So Bob,
You're only going about 400 miles a day??

Roy,

If I tried to go any further per day, I wouldn't have time to check in on all the rocket forums. :D

Actually, I am averaging 482 miles each day and after a day of driving like today, that's not bad. There is all sorts of road construction on I-70 west of Denver. It was often down to one lane each way with a speed limit of 35 MPH.

I should have only 300 miles to go on Friday so that should (hopefully) get me to the hotel by mid-afternoon.

See you then!

Bob "Posting from Lexington, Nebraska" Sanford

Ltvscout
07-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Just got my Space Shuttle today, #11! Thanks Carl, Sheryl & Bruce.

kurtschachner
07-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Just got my Space Shuttle today, #11! Thanks Carl, Sheryl & Bruce.

Is that little gem going to be built and flying at next week's sod farm launch?

Ltvscout
07-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Is that little gem going to be built and flying at next week's sod farm launch?
Heh, not this one. Can't let the magic dust out of the #11 kit. ;)

I'm going to try to get to that launch though. It will be good to burn some BP again after all this time.

kurtschachner
07-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I'll take that as a promise you will be there. I have a new Estes Aerobee 300 clone to bring to the launch, complete with the silver body and red tips on the conduits :)

snaquin
07-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Can anyone attending NARAM-49 that may be checking in be willing to spill the beans as to what the "?" that refers to the third rocket on the SEMROC website is referring to?

Inquiring minds that could not attend NARAM-49 would like to know!

I already sent in my order for the SLS ARCAS. I'm really excited about that one!

Thanks,

Initiator001
07-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Can anyone attending NARAM-49 that may be checking in be willing to spill the beans as to what the "?" that refers to the third rocket on the SEMROC website is referring to?

Inquiring minds that could not attend NARAM-49 would like to know!

I already sent in my order for the SLS ARCAS. I'm really excited about that one!

Thanks,

No problem, Steve.

Attached is a picture of the kit in it's package.

It is a re-issue of the paper and balsa Estes Mercury capsule from the 1960's. It was never used in a kit but was in the catalog until 1971.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Heh, not this one. Can't let the magic dust out of the #11 kit. ;)

I'm going to try to get to that launch though. It will be good to burn some BP again after all this time.

:eek: :eek: :eek: HOLY CARP!!! Someone better get a picture of this!!!
You do know that a launch report will be expected, don't you? :rolleyes: Better brush up.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-29-2007, 09:53 PM
I'll take that as a promise you will be there. I have a new Estes Aerobee 300 clone to bring to the launch, complete with the silver body and red tips on the conduits :)

Speaking of pictures....... :rolleyes:

conleyt
07-30-2007, 06:45 AM
I noticed yesterday that the Semroc website mentions a third new rocket being offered at NARAM. Anyone know what it is?

Tom C.

snaquin
07-30-2007, 07:09 AM
I noticed yesterday that the Semroc website mentions a third new rocket being offered at NARAM. Anyone know what it is?

Tom C.

Tom,

Bob posted a picture of it about three posts before yours ..... it's the Mercury Capsule

conleyt
07-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Oops, my bad. Thanks for the info!

Tom C.

kurtschachner
07-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Speaking of pictures....... :rolleyes:

Well, I thought I had hijacked this thread enough already. But to make it complete, here it is.