PDA

View Full Version : Soyuz/Vostok Plans

JBM
07-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I've done some web searches for plans for a Soyuz or Vostok. The only thing I've come up with is a "simplified Vostok" on Peter Alway's website. Anyone familiar with any other sources of plans? Thanks!

sandman
07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes! Me! :D

I have some fairly accurate scale drawings I've made for a kit I produced about two years ago.

I've converted them to pdf. They are full size and print on a legal sheet.

See if these help.

sandman
07-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Here are the drawings for the kit parts.

The model and drawings are 1/64th scale.

I may be able to produce enough parts to make a few more kits but not many. They are really labor intensive!

I also included some pics of the finished model.

In the last pic, mine's the one on top. :rolleyes:

DaveR
07-25-2007, 03:20 PM

I may be able to produce enough parts to make a few more kits but not many. They are really labor intensive!

Looks to me like "labor intensive" is an understatement. That is an incredible job, sandman. How does she fly?

Questor
07-25-2007, 03:43 PM
A article and plans for the Vostok are in a issue of the old "Model Rocketry" magazine. All issues are on line at the ninfinger site. Sorry I can remember which issue. If I locate , I'll post.

Paul

JBM
07-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Looks to me like "labor intensive" is an understatement. That is an incredible job, sandman. How does she fly?

I saw your work on another website, Sandman. Your work boggles the mind! I will probably try to do a semi-scale version using a C or D engine, then construct a larger semi-scale model that will accomodate an E-G engine.

At some point I'll may also try the Shenzhou/LM combo and maybe even one of the Ariane series. I don't have the time, machine tools, or the $$$ to do anything but semi-scale, so I tip my hat to Sandman and others like you who turn out such impressive models.

Thanks for the help!

JBM
07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
A article and plans for the Vostok are in a issue of the old "Model Rocketry" magazine. All issues are on line at the ninfinger site. Sorry I can remember which issue. If I locate , I'll post.

Paul

I would appreciate that, too. I remember MR mag from those days, but I was unable to reliably locate a copy and couldn't justify a subscription to my parents.

JBM
07-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Paul

Paul pointed me in the right direction. Check http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/ModelRocketry/IndexToVolume2.html and scroll down into the V section of the index. There is a two-part series by G. Harry Stine in the July and August 1970 issues.

sandman
07-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Actually she flys pretty darn good!

This is the only launch shot of it I have...sorry.

She flys on a single 24mm motor but there are 4 18mm motor mounts in the boosters.

She's nekked in the picture.

BTW here's a build somebody did of my kit.

http://scale-rocketry.tripod.com/id32.htm

dwmzmm
07-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Nice looking model, sandman. I'll have to do me one of those someday. Of course, I'll be
"compelled" to fly mine clustered....

Gus
07-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Video of Sandman's Soyuz flight, as well as a few of his other models, can be seen here. (http://home.earthlink.net/~skristal/) First flight did a complete 360 but chute opened fine and it landed without damage. A little more noseweight and it now flies like a dream.

A fantastic sport scale model, very easy to build, of the Shenzou is currently available from Apogee (http://www.apogeerockets.com/Skill_lvl_3_kits.asp) for $13.25. Tim lists the kit as a level 3 but I would say level 2 at most. Incredible kit for the price.

pchestna
07-26-2007, 08:25 AM

I'd be interested in a kit if you do decide to create a couple...

Pete

sandman
07-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I'd be interested in a kit if you do decide to create a couple...

Pete

Probably not until this winter. The Nike Hercules kits are taking up all of my free time for now.

JBM
07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Probably not until this winter. The Nike Hercules kits are taking up all of my free time for now.

I'll keep that in mind as well. At some point, if I find I'm in over my head trying to scratch-build, I may decide to cut my losses and do a kit. For all the custom parts and turning, what you get from Sandman doesn't seem terribly out of line compared to other kits I've seen on the market (S-V, S-IB, GT-II) and may well be a bargain.

sandman
07-26-2007, 05:35 PM
I'll keep that in mind as well. At some point, if I find I'm in over my head trying to scratch-build, I may decide to cut my losses and do a kit. For all the custom parts and turning, what you get from Sandman doesn't seem terribly out of line compared to other kits I've seen on the market (S-V, S-IB, GT-II) and may well be a bargain.

There are a lot of "specialty" parts that are cast resin as well as the unusual nosecon/capule/transition.

The interstage strut...well that's another item that's kinda hard to make from scratch. I think my design works out real well.

DaveR
07-26-2007, 10:52 PM
There are a lot of "specialty" parts that are cast resin as well as the unusual nosecon/capule/transition.

The interstage strut...well that's another item that's kinda hard to make from scratch. I think my design works out real well.

Incredible work. Sandman, you are truly a master craftsman.

rocketguy101
07-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Incredible work. Sandman, you are truly a master craftsman.

AMEN!!! Beautiful job. Are those laser cut cardboard pieces? Do you have a laser cutter, or does a shop do that for you? I love all the new technology that is being brought into the hobby.

sandman
07-27-2007, 12:07 PM
AMEN!!! Beautiful job. Are those laser cut cardboard pieces? Do you have a laser cutter, or does a shop do that for you? I love all the new technology that is being brought into the hobby.

Yes, those are laser cut parts for the interstage strut, stablisers and the centering rings.

I have them done.

I wish I had a laser cutter. :o

I have my Soyuz all packed up for the trip to NARAM and I'm leaving in a few minutes to meet up with Gus.

See everybody at NARAM! :D