PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Back?

K.M.Knox
08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
OK, here I am doing some browsing, I am looking for sources to get the discontinued X-Prize kits... And I come across this

http://www.rockets-2-go.com/rockets/ur140.htm

and see the Phoenix has returned! Can anyone fill me in? I would have to say this was one of my more memorable rockets from when I got started building (I know it was only the late 70's and early 80's, I am not that old), and would love to see the kit return. I am planning a up-scale at the moment to go to 4" dia. but am only thinking... Anyway, I saw this add and started wondering if this is really Estes or just a clone...

K.M.Knox
08-08-2007, 09:42 PM
OK, so a little more digging at Rockets-2-Go yielded this...

http://www.rockets-2-go.com/rockets/ur134.htm

Apparently the V2 was back for 2002! Man did I miss something or have I been gone from the hobby for too long???

Maybe it is just to late for me to be browsing for this stuff...

K.M.Knox
08-08-2007, 10:45 PM
OK, I am an idiot. I see the copyright 2002 and the fact that there are no 'new' kits on any of the pages and feel pretty small right now. I guess my excitement got the best of me...

I think I will crawl under that rock I have been living under and continue my measly existence. Thanks for all the fish...

pantherjon
08-09-2007, 01:11 AM
I too just saw the 2002 copyright..I too got excited cause I really like the Nightwing..lol..and if you click on the 'order' button it says 'thank you very much'!

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-09-2007, 02:27 AM
OK, I am an idiot. I see the copyright 2002 and the fact that there are no 'new' kits on any of the pages and feel pretty small right now. I guess my excitement got the best of me...

I think I will crawl under that rock I have been living under and continue my measly existence. Thanks for all the fish...

Don't take it so hard. The kits are out there. They're just not that easy to find.
Good thing you can CLONE them. :rolleyes:

DaveR
08-09-2007, 05:03 PM
OK, here I am doing some browsing, I am looking for sources to get the discontinued X-Prize kits...

The local Hobby Lobby has discounted their X-prize kits at about 1/2 off. They still had several Canadian Arrows and Gauchitos. If you're near a Hobby Lobby, you may have some luck there.

K.M.Knox
08-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Not really near one, there is one about 45 minutes away from me, but I was in there last weekend and they did not have very many rocket kits on the shelf. I had only been in there once before and as I remember they did not have many then either.

I have the Gauchito and I did order the Eagle and the Thunderstar, I have a Hub Hobby near by that I have not been to in a while so they might still have the Arrow, not sure. I did find it at one or two places online also...

Thanks for the heads up.

DaveR
08-10-2007, 09:41 AM
.... but I was in there last weekend and they did not have very many rocket kits on the shelf.

When I visited Hobby Lobby this week, I noticed that their Estes inventory is getting slim and there were none of the "new" kits on the shelf. They discontinued all their Quest kits about a month ago.
I wonder if they are about to do away with model rockets all together. :(

barone
08-11-2007, 01:04 AM
When I visited Hobby Lobby this week, I noticed that their Estes inventory is getting slim and there were none of the "new" kits on the shelf. They discontinued all their Quest kits about a month ago.
I wonder if they are about to do away with model rockets all together. :(
Dave,

I think they're going to continue carrying the Estes rockets. I picked up one of the new kits last month (D Region). Still haven't seen the Red Max yet. Yep...couple of years ago they discounted and cleared out the Custom Rocket kits. This past year, they discounted and cleared out the Quest kits. Doesn't leave much more does it... :(

Rocketking
08-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Most Retail stores have 'cycles' in their inventory.

These stores bring in "outdoor toys" like kites and rockets for the spring & summer months, then trim down or eliminate the inventory in the Fall.

The space in these stores is limited, and the 'Christmas Crush' of stocking takes rockets out for a few months.

It is Not the center of everyone's universe, just Ours!!! :cool:

barone
08-11-2007, 08:31 AM
It is Not the center of everyone's universe, just Ours!!! :cool:BLASPHEMY :eek:

K.M.Knox
08-12-2007, 11:15 AM
I'll have to swing into Hobby Lobby today on my way by it and see what they have on the shelf and if there are any deals. A couple weeks ago it was a pretty meager selection and everything was retail, nothing was discounted. I think they did have some Quest starter sets on the clearance shelf however...

sandman
08-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I'll have to swing into Hobby Lobby today on my way by it and see what they have on the shelf and if there are any deals. A couple weeks ago it was a pretty meager selection and everything was retail, nothing was discounted. I think they did have some Quest starter sets on the clearance shelf however...

Don't bother...

Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays. :mad:

Go tomorrow. :D

K.M.Knox
08-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Heh, I remembered that on my way home from work after I made that comment. I also remembered that I did not pick up any beer for my box moving project today, and here in MN the liquor stores are closed on Sunday... My day is slowly getting more depressing as I go... Looks like my brother won't be helping me if I can't give him sustanence. Bummer.

moonzero2
08-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I swung buy my Hobby Lobby Saturday and they did not have any sale for rockets,... here in Parker, Colorado.

DaveR
08-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Dave,

I think they're going to continue carrying the Estes rockets. I picked up one of the new kits last month (D Region).(

Did it come off the bottom shelf, sorta behind another kit?

barone
08-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Did it come off the bottom shelf, sorta behind another kit?
No, it was just hanging on one of the hooks. Sorta blended in though. Took a while for me to notice it.... :o

barone
08-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I swung buy my Hobby Lobby Saturday and they did not have any sale for rockets,... here in Parker, Colorado.
Bob,

I know this is kinda late but last week you could have gotten a 40% off coupon from the Hobby Lobby web site. They do that every now and then. This week though, they do have a 25% off sale on rockets. If you can wait a while, the 40% off should show up again within the next couple of weeks.

moonzero2
08-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Bob,

I know this is kinda late but last week you could have gotten a 40% off coupon from the Hobby Lobby web site. They do that every now and then. This week though, they do have a 25% off sale on rockets. If you can wait a while, the 40% off should show up again within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks. I'll have to keep an eye on their web site I guess. Thanks again!

DaveR
08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
No, it was just hanging on one of the hooks. Sorta blended in though. Took a while for me to notice it.... :o

Ah, I see. I bet I saw that same kit. I remember thinking, wow there's the new D-region but I didn't have a 40% coupon that day and the price was a little steep. It was the only one on the shelf, hiding behind another kit. I also remember muttering something about Don will get this before I can return with a coupon. . :rolleyes: :D

Bob,

I think the 40% coupon runs EOW, it ran last week and most likely run again next week.

barone
08-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Ah, I see. I bet I saw that same kit. I remember thinking, wow there's the new D-region but I didn't have a 40% coupon that day and the price was a little steep. It was the only one on the shelf, hiding behind another kit. I also remember muttering something about Don will get this before I can return with a coupon. . :rolleyes: :D

I think the 40% coupon runs EOW, it ran last week and most likely run again next week.
LOL....come now....we can't both be shopping at the same Hobby Lobby :eek:

DaveR
08-15-2007, 10:04 AM
LOL....come now....we can't both be shopping at the same Hobby Lobby :eek:
One and the same..... :D Gtown and Collierville are just too far. Bartlett is reasonably close to work so I browse time to time on my lunch hour. I will say that when I do go to one of the others I have reasonable luck at getting good basswood and balsa. Seems my competitor doesn't make it to those stores much either. :p

tbzep
08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
One and the same..... :D Gtown and Collierville are just too far. Bartlett is reasonably close to work so I browse time to time on my lunch hour. I will say that when I do go to one of the others I have reasonable luck at getting good basswood and balsa. Seems my competitor doesn't make it to those stores much either. :p

You might have better luck with good balsa at R/C shops than at the big Hobby Lobby stores. I know the Memphis area has several R/C shops. One that I went to years ago was huge, but I don't remember the name. The last time I was there was probably 12-15 years ago. They had everything from R/C helicopter demo flights out front to FSI F100 motors in the rocket section!

DaveR
08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
You might have better luck with good balsa at R/C shops than at the big Hobby Lobby stores. I know the Memphis area has several R/C shops. One that I went to years ago was huge, but I don't remember the name. The last time I was there was probably 12-15 years ago. They had everything from R/C helicopter demo flights out front to FSI F100 motors in the rocket section!
I think maybe it was Action Hobbies you're speaking of. I believe they are gone now or at least moved and changed their name to "Hobby Shop" (how original). They are not too far from where I work and their rocket selection stinks. When you ask if they'll be getting new rocket stuff in soon, it's always the proverbial, on order, be here next week. So you show up the next week only to get the same answer. Seems they are more into R/C and slot cars these days, but are always out of balsa sheets, they on order ya know. ;)

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Bike related? or dare I ask?

barone
08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
I think maybe it was Action Hobbies you're speaking of. I believe they are gone now or at least moved and changed their name to "Hobby Shop" (how original). They are not too far from where I work and their rocket selection stinks. When you ask if they'll be getting new rocket stuff in soon, it's always the proverbial, on order, be here next week. So you show up the next week only to get the same answer. Seems they are more into R/C and slot cars these days, but are always out of balsa sheets, they on order ya know. ;)

Yep...that was it...Action Hobby when they were on Mendenhal.....My FSI supplier. They've really gone down hill since then (well, as far as rocketry goes). For balsa, I'm going to start shopping on line with Lone Star (haven't yet). I've heard they're relatively inexpensive and I don't have to carry my pocket scale :o .

tbzep
08-16-2007, 07:41 AM

I'm afraid so. My poor bike looks so sad. :(

I hope the ins. co. doesn't total it. If I could, I'd get myself back on and relive the crash...I think I could save it from what I learned. Besides, it was fun in an amusement park ride sort of way and the adrenaline kept me from feeling any pain for about 20 minutes. However, typing this with one hand is rather annoying.

Action Hobbies...that's who I eas thinking about. Always out of balsa, eh? I guess they must sell mostly ARF's these days.

tbzep
08-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Speaking of Lone Star, I've always got good balsa from Balsa USA, but it's been at least 5 years since I ordered from them. I got most of my aircraft plywod and epoxy from them when I was into HPR also.