PDA

View Full Version : Estes Plastic Fin Guide Base

ARTU
08-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi Folks,

While searching my catacombs, I found all the plastic fin guides for my estes plastic fin jig, but I was unable to locate the base.

Anyone with a Plastic Estes fin jig base for sale?

Rocket Doctor
08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
You might be able to find one on ebay.
They don't come up that often, and when they do, they are pricey.

Good Kuck with your search.

ARTU
08-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, I don't need a hi price one ,

I have a $129 machined aluminum BMICAD fin jig, I just wanted a used base to be able to make 13mm and 18mm smaller rockets without having to get out the big Iron ;)

Rocket Doctor
08-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Parts are hard to find.

I tried to get Estes tp reproduce the original fin quick fin alignment guide with little success.

I think I am going to exploe it in my own though.

Rocketflyer
08-30-2007, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=ARTU]Well, I don't need a hi price one ,

I have a $129 machined aluminum BMICAD fin jig.

Yep, I have one as well, and mine works like a charm from day one. No problems with the fit and finish.

Jack :cool:

Rocket Doctor
08-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Can this aluminum fin jig accomidate up to BT-80 body tubes?

I think we can all agree on the metal fin kwik fin alignment guide from yesteryear.

That one only went up to BT-70 tubes, a remake would have to accomidate the above mentioned at a very reasonabe cost.

ARTU
08-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Can this aluminum fin jig accomidate up to BT-80 body tubes?

I think we can all agree on the metal fin kwik fin alignment guide from yesteryear.

That one only went up to BT-70 tubes, a remake would have to accomidate the above mentioned at a very reasonabe cost.

My BMICAD jig has worked on 5.35" tubes even.

http://boostervision.com/files/finsjig.jpg

Ltvscout
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
My BMICAD jig has worked on 5.35" tubes even.
I think Anheuser-Busch should be paying you for advertising! :D

I like your method of building rockets though. Would you say an average "model" rocket takes a 6-pack or a 12-pack to get through the build? :p

ARTU
08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
I'd say Bertha was a case :eek:

Ltvscout
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
I'd say Bertha was a case :eek:
Heh, I want to party with you!

Let's see. You, Chas, Bill, Scott McCrate, myself. Ya, I think we could polish off a few!

Rocket Doctor
08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
I guess the Baby Bertha would only need one can and a straw....

Rocketking
08-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, well. It seems another 'not quite collectible' item from the Rocketking 'warehouse' has found a new home.

By the way, if there is anyone lOOking for any old item to keep them building, PM me to ask for it. I can't promise that I will always find what you are after, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Congrats to ARTU on never leaving Model Rocketry, and always coming back for more!

Now if only I stand a chance at winning that Semroc Space Shuttle for the Logo Contest, I'd have something to keep myself busy with. Then again, with the boxes of kits standing around, I'm sure to find something! :D

Ltvscout
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Then again, with the boxes of kits standing around, I'm sure to find something! :D
Do you still have old parts to sell?

Rocket Doctor
08-30-2007, 07:55 PM
What are you looking for?

mrhemi1971
08-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Where can I get one of those jigs? I have the old estes one, but 2 of the "blades" for the fins are warped, I'd sure like to get one of those aluminum ones!

mrhemi1971@comcast.net

ARTU
08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi,

You can find the contact information here:

http://www.bmibay.net/rocketry.html

Send him an email and see what his lead time for delivery currently is.

Here is the page with the jig specs:

http://www.bmibay.net/finjig.html

Chris_Timm
09-02-2007, 12:43 PM
By the way, if there is anyone lOOking for any old item to keep them building, PM me to ask for it.

I use my plastic fin alignment jig extensively.
Its a little slower going than before as 2 of the 4 tabs on the base have snapped off so I can only do 2 fins at a time instead of all four.

Rocket Doctor
09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
That has been the problem with the Estes plastic sin alignment guide, not only did the tabs break off, but over time the plastic would warp.

I brought it up numerous times to bring back a metal fin alignment guide, and, it was suggested that possibly a ypgraded plastic version. But, in any case, I was told that it would be on the back burner.

Just another request not explored..............

mrhemi1971
09-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I noticed the warping on mine. Although the base of mine has never had any problems, the fin blades warp, 2 of the 4 are really bad, and 2 are pefectly straight. I'm eventually going to get one of the metal ones listed earlier in the thread. As much as I'm going to be building from now on, I'm gonna need it!

Rocket Doctor
09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
I still have and use my original metal fin quick, from what I hear, the broken tabs and warping are the two biggest problems.

We need the reissue/upgrade of the fin quick, to fit up to BT-80 tubes.

mrhemi1971
09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I've never seen any pics of the original one, Got any?

Rocket Doctor
09-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Do a web search for a 1975 Estes catalog on page "B" Tracking Equipment is the main topic.

It's pictured on the lower left bottom

Or, do a patent search # 3,805,355

mrhemi1971
09-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks again all knowing and wise one! I bow down to your knowledge!...hahahah thanks!

mrhemi1971
09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Now why didnt estes just stay with that design? It looks relatively simple, It's a tremendously better design than the newer plastic one. Gotta love metal and thumb screws!

Rocket Doctor
09-02-2007, 07:20 PM
COST I guess they figured even wiyh mold costs, it would be cost effective to make it out of plastic.

That would have been fine if the tabs didn't break off and the plastic warp.

A solution to the tab problem would have been to mold in metal inserts and use thumb screws.

The problem with the pkastic would have been to use a different type of plastic.

One other reason might have been because of the patent date and patent infringement.