PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Rocketry?

WRATHofGOD
08-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm new to experimental rocketry. Actually I'm pretty much new to anything not model rocketry. My problem is- I have a lot of really crazy idea's that I would love to research and learn more about. (What do they say about excersizing the brain for your health? :rolleyes: )

Basically I want to dabble in powered descents, telemetry, and PC automated launch control.

I'm completely ignorant to a bunch of things concerning experimental rocketry persuits- law, regulations, online resources, communities, etc. If anyone has any insight to these issues, I would appreciate them.

Thanks,
Jesse

JRThro
08-30-2007, 12:07 PM
You'll probably get more replies at the Rocketry Forum, where I see you've also posted this.

Good luck!

WRATHofGOD
08-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks, I thought I would hit you guys up over here too. Since you're well...older. lol.

sorry.

Ltvscout
08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks, I thought I would hit you guys up over here too. Since you're well...older. lol.

sorry.
Jesse,

Your questions are always welcome here. I'm sure someone here will step up with some guidance for you.

Yes, we don't need nearly as much (if any) moderation over here. ;)

WRATHofGOD
08-30-2007, 03:31 PM
:) Thanks Scott!

Skippy
08-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Jesse,

Your questions are always welcome here. I'm sure someone here will step up with some guidance for you.

Oh... moderation.

I thought that said 'medication'...

:p

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-30-2007, 07:57 PM

Yet. :rolleyes:

barone
08-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Moderation? No we do everything to excess.......Beer lofting anyone? (Yeah, I know, silly question around Bill and Art... ;) )

Tau Zero
08-30-2007, 09:52 PM

sorry. ;) :D :p No offense taken. --Now, if you'd been 14 or 15 instead of 29, it would have been a different story. :eek:

(chuckling) Welcome to YORF! As you can tell, we're all pretty psychotic here. Well, all of us that live in *my* head, anyway. :eek: :rolleyes:

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Moderation? No we do everything to excess.......Beer lofting anyone? (Yeah, I know, silly question around Bill and Art... ;) )

:o Bill hasn't had a beer since the 4th of July.
(My liver thinks I'm seeing another organ. :rolleyes: )

tbzep
08-31-2007, 07:38 AM
I quit Jan. 2006, though I've snuck a beer or three a few times for special occasions since then. I think my last one was March of this year. My liver has filed for divorce!

BTW, what sort of powered descent are you talking about? If you are fooling with a retro-rocket type descent, there was an article in Sport Rocketry Magazine several years ago where somebody used it to slow the descent. If I can think of it, I'll try to dig up the issue this weekend. Just don't count on my memory...it doesn't work well without regular lubrication from Anheuser-Busch. :eek:

With the new homeland security stuff hanging over our heads, you might want to be specific when referring to powered descent so they won't think you're wanting to make a weapon. Big brother is always watching.

WRATHofGOD
09-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I was thinking about the retro-rocket design. Using some small 1/2 A's to slow down a rocket for recovery. I don't think it would work, I would be worried about the rocket burning grass when it does land. I just thought it would be a cool idea to think about.

Maybe you could use air somehow? A very small CO2 canister?

tbzep
09-04-2007, 02:28 PM
I was thinking about the retro-rocket design. Using some small 1/2 A's to slow down a rocket for recovery. I don't think it would work, I would be worried about the rocket burning grass when it does land. I just thought it would be a cool idea to think about.

Maybe you could use air somehow? A very small CO2 canister?

It was successful in that Sport Rocketry article. I forgot to look for it. I'll try to remember and at least give you the issue number. I can't scan right now cause my SCSI card died....yep, I have an old scanner.

WRATHofGOD
09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
:) Scanners are evil. I'm pretty sure the Devil invented twain drivers.

Solomoriah
09-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Get a cheap USB scanner. You are running XP or some recent Linux, right?

tbzep
09-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I've got a large HP Scanjet 3c that's optically better than any of the cheap USB 8.5x11 scanners my friends have (the software isn't so special, though). I'll eventually dig up another SCSI card that works with XP and fire it up. I was using an Adaptec 2940 before it died and the only other card I could find in my box of junk parts never had drivers for XP.