PDA

View Full Version : Small Balsa fin bevel

WRATHofGOD
09-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone had a good fin beveling technique for very small balsa fins? At this point, I'm just thinking about hand sanding the blocky edges off as straight as I can. These are Quark fins, to put it in perspective on how small they are.

Do I need to try and build some sort of a jig to make sure the angles on the bevels are exact, or will it matter with a rocket so small and light?

Thanks!
Jesse

Rocket Doctor
09-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Experiment with an emery board, small flat file, sanding block, you will need to develop your own technique.

Experiment on some scrap balsa, over time, you will develop your own knack.

Also, you could try just folding over a small piece of sandpaper and carefully sand.

WRATHofGOD
09-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah - that was going to be my first experiment - just taking a bit of sandpaper and carefully sanding off the "edge".

Thanks!

barone
09-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Just wondering if anyone had a good fin beveling technique for very small balsa fins? At this point, I'm just thinking about hand sanding the blocky edges off as straight as I can. These are Quark fins, to put it in perspective on how small they are.

Do I need to try and build some sort of a jig to make sure the angles on the bevels are exact, or will it matter with a rocket so small and light?

Thanks!
Jesse
If it flys anything like a Mosquito, don't worry about it....you'll never get a second launch.... :D

LeeR
09-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Thanks!
Jesse

I like to put a fin near the edge of the workbench, and then I can sand with my hand low and over the edge, allowing a comfortable working position. It helps me produce a nice tapered bevel, or a smooth rounded edge on the fin.

I would not try to make a jig or do anything too elaborate. With practice, you can get amazing bevels, or even complete airfoils over the balsa surface.

It is rewarding to learn to hand sand correctly -- just consider this build, and every rocket you build in the future, as "practice" for the next one!

For models like the Phoenix, I have used a razor plane to cut precise bevels, and then sealed them with CA to toughen them. But for everyday flyers, just go with hand sanding.

Enjoy!