PDA

View Full Version : SaturnV Fin Pattern

dbrent
09-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know if the Early Estes (or Centuri) kits had accurately scaled fins.

I know the later ones did not...

Thanks (in advance),
Don

dwmzmm
09-27-2007, 07:03 PM
The Estes K-36 version was more to scale; the competitive counterpart, Centuri 1/100
scale Saturn - V, were semi-scale as they were much larger so the model could be flown
(theoretically) "as is" without the need for clear slip on fins (as the K-36 Estes version
does). In reality, the later Centuri Saturn - V kits came with clear slip ons anyway.

Since I've just completed the build of my K-36 Saturn - V (highlighted in extensive detail
in the Projects section), I can include a picture or two below of that model alongside the
Centuri vintage Saturn - V so you can see the difference of the fins. The K-36 model is on
the left.

Rocket Doctor
09-27-2007, 08:17 PM
vERY, VERY NICE, EXCELLENT...

I first saw both the Estes and Centuri prototype Saturn V's at the Pittsburgh Spring Convention held at the Shady Side Academy in Pittsburgh PA.

The time fram, and I'm guessing is around 1969, both Vern and Lee were there.
Also in attendence were Jay Apt and Elaine Sadowski.
I liked the Centuri Saturn V over the Estes, and built, I also liked the Estes Uprated Saturn 1-B (1966 cat) this rocket had a four engine cluster.

Many launches on both the 1-B and V.

dwmzmm
09-27-2007, 08:31 PM
vERY, VERY NICE, EXCELLENT...

I first saw both the Estes and Centuri prototype Saturn V's at the Pittsburgh Spring Convention held at the Shady Side Academy in Pittsburgh PA.

The time fram, and I'm guessing is around 1969, both Vern and Lee were there.
Also in attendence were Jay Apt and Elaine Sadowski.
I liked the Centuri Saturn V over the Estes, and built, I also liked the Estes Uprated Saturn 1-B (1966 cat) this rocket had a four engine cluster.

Many launches on both the 1-B and V.

Thanks, Rocket Doctor. The K-36 model in my previous post pictured has been extensively
modified from the original plans/instructions; I included a ejection baffle system, the main
separation point for recovery is just above the S-II stage (like the Centuri Saturn - V), I
added a little more detailing on the SIV-B stage that the K-36 was absent from, and the
power for my K-36 is a five engine cluster (central 24 mm & four 18 mm outboards) with
the plastic F1 nozzles retained during launch/flight. I also added more detailing to the
Command/Service Modules, but messed up with the length of the radiator panels at the lower portion of the SM (they're a bit too long). Also, the half dowels included in the kit
for the systems/pressure tunnels were very rough on the surface, and despite my using
sanding sealer four or five times, still doesn't look good. I have a remedy for that which
will be done shortly. And, the LES motor segment with skirt is actually wooden, since I lost
the plastic that came with the kit, Roach Werks turned me an 1/100 scale wooden piece
that came out very good. Finally, the decals are all from Tango Papa Decals.

Hopefully, I'll get to fly her before the end of this year.....

Rocket Doctor
09-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks again for the info, and once again , really great looking rockets !

dwmzmm
09-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, the K-36 pictured weighs in at about 11.75 oz (including the plastic
F1 nozzles). I still have to install the three shock cords (with Estes trifold mounts) and the
shock cord sling for the upper portion of the rocket. Heck, my Estes Maxi-Brute STAR WARS
X-Wing, fully built but empty, weighs just under 16 oz!!

dbrent
09-28-2007, 09:38 AM
OK, so what are the differences between the K-36 kit and the later re-issues?

At some point I read that they started including the Centuri wrap ons.
...and of course the aforementioned oversized fins.

Were there any other changes?

ghrocketman
09-28-2007, 09:59 AM
The small scale sized fins on the K-36 are fine for flying in no wind....at least I have found them to be ok with up to F39T power.

dtomko
09-28-2007, 01:47 PM
OK, so what are the differences between the K-36 kit and the later re-issues?

At some point I read that they started including the Centuri wrap ons.
...and of course the aforementioned oversized fins.

Were there any other changes?

There were at least three versions of the Estes Saturn V: the K-36, 2001, and latest reissue. In the 2001 the separation point was moved from the capsule to the top of the second stage, and the clear plastic fins were ditched and the balsa ones made larger. The cardstock wraps and plastic detail parts were the same as the K-36, though. In the latest revision, the Centuri vacuum-formed wraps were included, as well as the oversized vacuum-formed fins. All of the K-36 detail pieces were included, but you only use the SM thrusters, capsule, and display nozzles (The Centuri vacuum-formed nozzles are not included). At some point in the 2001 run (I think) the longer E engine hook and spacer for using D engines was included. I think it still is in the latest version, but I haven't opened mine yet!

Drew

timorley
09-28-2007, 05:59 PM
At some point in the 2001 run (I think) the longer E engine hook and spacer for using D engines was included.

My 2001 has the longer E engine hook and D engine spacer.

Tim

dwmzmm
09-28-2007, 09:45 PM
For the K-36 model pictured earlier, I "pattern" it after the Apollo - 11 version; notice I have
only four of the ullage thrusters on the Interstage Ring (between the SI-C/S-II stages). That's one thing I like about the K-36 version; you can model your kit for the particular
Saturn/Apollo mission prototype. Plus, those plastic details can be installed after the black
roll patterns have been painted on (makes it a hell of a lot easier to do compared to the
Centuri kit).