PDA

View Full Version : Using Micro Sol?

roktdad
10-13-2007, 09:04 PM
My red max is drying between coats of paint. After reading all the comments about the quality of the decals, I picked up a bottle of Micro Sol to use when I'm ready to put the decals on.

I wanted to check on how you all use it. As I understand it, I need to cut out the decal, brush on the solution, and wet the body tube? How many coats will be enough? Is my usual little paint brush ok? what can I use to clean the brush when I am done? am I correct in assuming I don't dunk the decal in water after applying the Micro Sol?

thanks in advance - I want to make sure I do this part right.

Brian L Raney
10-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Microscale Decal Sol (red lettered bottle) softens decals after they have been set into position. You need to go back and pick-up Microscale Decal Set (blue lettered bottle) to help set your decals. You might also want to pick up some Microscale Decal Film (also in a blue lettered bottle) as many have found the new DER RED MAX decals are thin and hard to work with. Decal Film will strengthen the decals and help prevent them from cracking during transfer.

(Note: If your DER RED MAX is one of the new reissues, then you should know that Estes is working on a fix to include some missing decals and correct some minor errors. Although they may not be ready for at least a couple of months, you might want to contact Estes about getting replacement decals.)

Needless to say, your model should be painted before applying decals. Most people find that covering their model with some kind of gloss-cote the day before will help latter with decal adhesion.

Using a small brush, paint a thin layer of Microscale Decal Film over your Red Max decals. Let them dry completely for at least 20 minutes.

Prepare a container of warm water and add a drop or two of dish detergent. Cut out your decal and soak it in your container of warm water for 15 seconds or until you can gently slide the decal from its backing. Temporally place your decal on a paper towel. Using a small brush, coat the surface area on your model where you intend to place the decal with Microscale Decal Set. Slide the decal completely off its backing and onto that model area, and then help set it into position with same small brush. Brush out any air bobbles and use a paper towel to blot out excess.

If you wish, once all your decals are set into position, use a small brush to lightly coat them all with Microscale Decal Sol. It may or may not be necessary. Usually this last step is for decals that must sit over hard angles, but you may use it to soften your decals further into the paint. Resist the urge to touch them once you apply the Microscale Decal Sol or you will damage them.

Let the decals dry overnight and then cover the model with your favorite clear-cote.