PDA

View Full Version : Estes Soaring Eagle boost glider

mrhemi1971
10-20-2007, 05:28 AM
I'm looking for the Soaring Eagle. It was a boost glider with sweep out wings, I had one years ago that I flew almost 100 times, but it got lost in a fire and I am in search of another. I know I'm not the only one looking for this kit, but it especially holds a good memory for me.
Thanks!
Ryan

CPMcGraw
10-20-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm looking for the Soaring Eagle. It was a boost glider with sweep out wings, I had one years ago that I flew almost 100 times, but it got lost in a fire and I am in search of another. I know I'm not the only one looking for this kit, but it especially holds a good memory for me.
Thanks!
Ryan

You can download the plans from JimZ (http://www.dars.org/jimz/est1373.htm). The nose cone will be the most difficult part to locate; however, it's really just a PNC-50BB with a canopy molded into it. You could cut a wedge of balsa, or make one out of cardstock, to simulate the canopy and grab a #2 Skywriter kit for the base cone.

Of course, if the nose cone managed to survive from your original, then all you need are the remaining pieces... :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
That cone was pretty popular for a while. It pops up fairly regularly on kits like the Estes Venom on Ebay. Moldin' Oldies also makes it, or will make it once Mike starts back up.

mrhemi1971
10-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Surprisingly I have 2 of the nose cones! When I built my original, I messed up one of the fin sections, so I bought another and had some spare parts. out of everything lost in the fire, the nose cones survived! I 'm planning on doing a clone someday, but realized that the wings had a printed pattern on them that I cant duplicate easily. If I cant locate a kit I'll just have to build a clone, But I'd really like to find an original, and re-use that original cone again. I know it sounds goofy, but its a personal thing for me.

barone
10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
...... I know it sounds goofy, but its a personal thing for me.
Nah...no really. Just look at the other members of this forum... :D

Phred
10-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I agree with Don,

A lot of use feel that way.

I have a few drawers full of old ESTES parts that I have squirrelled away here and there... just in case I need to repair an old bird. I like to use old, original parts.

Phred

sandman
10-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a few of those BT-50 windshield "bump" nose cones. Actually it is the BNC-50SP cone originally used by Centuri in their Spacemaster model.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/centuri/cen5348.pdf

Yea I built a Spacemaster but I don't want to talk about the crummy gold paint! :mad:

I cloned all of those models except the Soaring Eagle because of the plastic wing part. I might build one anyway.

Green Dragon
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
This cone is actually real simple to make from the Sky Writer cone .

here's the thread with my photos ( not sure if Scott posted em, or if they got put on Barclone with the pattern , or was it YORP had the pattern, lol ... old age = easily confused :)

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1122&highlight=skywriter+cone

SOaring Eagle might be tough to clone, if you want printed wings, but white 'trash-bag' wings could be easily fabricated, I'd think .
might have to think about this one myself, as I have a partial original decal set. ( anyone need those ? )

~ AL

mrhemi1971
10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
might have to think about this one myself, as I have a partial original decal set. ( anyone need those ? )

~ AL

I could use the decals! I have a partial set of originals as well. But they were sitting in a box with a streamer that stuck to them, so a couple got messed up.

gpoehlein
10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Uhm - I should probably point out here that I created a cardstock canopy to convert the Skywriter cone into a 50SP cone and it is posted in the Building Tips section of YORS:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/PNC50SP.pdf

Cut it out, fold into shape, glue into position with CA, then coat the whole thing with thin CA. When dry, sand it lightly. Once painted, it looks just like the 50SP.

Greg

Green Dragon
10-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Uhm - I should probably point out here that I created a cardstock canopy to convert the Skywriter cone into a 50SP cone and it is posted in the Building Tips section of YORS:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/PNC50SP.pdf

Cut it out, fold into shape, glue into position with CA, then coat the whole thing with thin CA. When dry, sand it lightly. Once painted, it looks just like the 50SP.

Greg

Greg,

My apologies for not giving you credit for the canopy pattern ( noted in my post above ).

And an excellent pattern as well :) , made mine from .010" styrene, not cardstock, and cemented it tot he Sky Writer cone as shown, came out real well.

I'd noted to Scott he could post my pics with your pattern , if it would be helpful, not sure if that was done ( feel free to do so ) .

~ AL

sandman
10-23-2007, 10:46 AM
As an alternative to wasting a Skywriter kit for the nose cone, Estes has the PNC-50BB nose cone available for less than $2.

I believe this is the same conical cone as the Skywriter except it is unpainted.

You do get a tailcone nozzle with it that you have to remove.