PDA

View Full Version : Sci Fi Shows - Discussion

CPMcGraw
06-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Number two (which my mom told me looked like a lizard) could provide a cleanup challenge.
--Jay

Oooohh, that brings back a few memories... :)

Eagle Transporter...

Wonder why SciFi Channel hasen't grabbed hold of that one yet? I thought it was a fairly good series... :rolleyes:

Craig...

Tau Zero
06-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Other than being an engine mount with the shock chord attached to it...

...But then, you said these were from the 70's, right?Er, kind of. :o You caught me, Craig! Actually, the first one is from "3 or 4 years ago," while the Eagle Transporter *is* from the 70's -- but the B&W photos are from 1963, and the last one is (gasp) from March of this year. :eek: :cool:

That was before Quest introduced the Kevlar thread style...?

...For that matter, that was before Quest...

Wonder if some FotoFlo on a Q-tip might remove that paper without removing the image?Dunno. If I can track it down, I may have to use it on my 1970's Centuri Javelin photo. (Good thing I scanned it in at 1200dpi last year, well *before* the flood.) ;)

--Jay

Tau Zero
06-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Wonder why SciFi Channel hasen't grabbed hold of that one yet? I thought it was a fairly good series... :rolleyes: So did I... back in the 70's.

But then I saw part of an episode as an adult. :eek: (Where's that barfing emoticon I asked about a couple of months ago?) ;)

--Jay

Hey, they turned Gerry and Sylvia Andersons' "Thunderbirds" into a relatively decent live-action movie... Maybe it's time for the Andersons' "Space 1999"... as long as they don't do a "Lost (Lame?) in Space" debacle. :( :mad:

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2005, 10:35 PM
I remember watching a few episodes back in the 70's when it was shown on Saturday nights around here. It wasn't quite as disco/cheesy as Battlestar or as badly acted as Star Trek, but it still wasn't my thing. That pig of a ship didn't fit into what I thought of as flightworthy back then. The Enterprise and the Vipers at least fit into my idea of what sci-fi ships should look like.
Anyone remember what the basic idea behind the series was? :confused:

Tau Zero
06-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Anyone remember what the basic idea behind the series was? :confused:An atomic explosion on the side of the moon opposite Moonbase Alpha (which had a cool layout from my youthful 1970's perspective) blasts the moon out of its Earth orbit to go wandering through the universe.

Strange new worlds indeed. Where's your source of heat without the sun, eh? :confused:

Not that I was a non-critical fan, or anything. :rolleyes:

--Jay

Tweener
06-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Hey, they turned Gerry and Sylvia Andersons' "Thunderbirds" into a relatively decent live-action movie... Maybe it's time for the Andersons' "Space 1999"... as long as they don't do a "Lost (Lame?) in Space" debacle. :( :mad:
That reminds me of the other live action series they did called UFO. There were a lot of great vehicles in that one. There were the SkyDivers that had a jet on the front of a submarine, the Interceptors that were the first line of defense on the moonbase. (The control center of which was manned [?] by cute babes with purple pageboy cuts.) There were tank-treaded Mobile Units, moon shuttles, and pretty cool futuristic looking cars. Pretty much every episode I ever seem to remember consisted of three UFO's approaching Earth. :eek: Interceptors are scrambled and get one. :D A Sky launches and gets one. :) One gets through and the Mobile Units are dispatched to track it down on the ground. :rolleyes:

Eagle3
06-23-2005, 06:37 AM
I just got the second set of UFO DVDs last week. Sometimes you see the sets on Ebay for a decent deal. I waited until I won a set for under $39. You can pay that much at FAB Gear (http://fabgearusa.com/ufo_dvd_set_2.html) which is also a great Gerry Anderson resource site.

Eagle3
06-23-2005, 06:56 AM
BTW - Sci Fi channel did show Space: 1999 shortly after the channel started. They had many marathons and it was on daily in the mid - late 90's? They also showed UFO a lot around the same time.

I think season one of Space: 1999 still holds up well even today. It was darker and grittier as mentioned earlier than Star Trek which was still showing daily in syndication back in the mid-70's. All of the characters were likable, though the performances seem a bit wooden now that I'm an adult watching it. ;) The stories were good sci fi. Season two just plain blows. They brought in Fred Frieberger (sp?) to direct, who many claim to be the killer of the orginal Star Trek series. While that may be debatable he certainly ruined Space: 1999. New characters replaced originals, so people that really liked the first season were pissed to see their favorites replaced. The stories sucked and the special effects were just marginally better. I remember watching the second season when it originally aired and each week praying the show would get better.... it didn't.

UFO rawks! :D

Eagle3
06-23-2005, 06:59 AM
I remember watching a few episodes back in the 70's when it was shown on Saturday nights around here. It wasn't quite as disco/cheesy as Battlestar or as badly acted as Star Trek, but it still wasn't my thing. That pig of a ship didn't fit into what I thought of as flightworthy back then. The Enterprise and the Vipers at least fit into my idea of what sci-fi ships should look like.
Anyone remember what the basic idea behind the series was? :confused:

Aw man, you didn't see the episode when they were attacked by Hawks? :cool:

Tau Zero
06-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Aw man, you didn't see the episode when they were attacked by Hawks? :cool:Are you sure that wasn't a crossover episode with "Buck Rogers?"

http://www.tvacres.com/aliens_hawk.htm

http://members.fortunecity.com/wendhausen/BRStarshipsv3/profile/buckrogers/hawk.htm

And now, background information on the series... in French. (Ou la la!)

http://www.topkool.com/series_tv/buckrogers.htm

ANNOUNCER'S VOICE: "Erin Gray *is*... Wilma Deering." :D ;)

Cheers,

--Jay

dtomko
06-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Ditto what was said about Space 1999; liked the first season, then downhill. I loved UFO, though. BTW, Ed Bishop and one of the other male stars just passed away a week or so ago. SkyDiver is still one of my favorite sci-fi ship designs. When I was a kid, I used to love all those scenes in Anderson series where the pilots slide down chutes or travel along some conveyor belt and get plopped into their ships. Thunderbirds had lots of this.
Here's my favorite Anderson ship, though. When I get really insane I contemplate a flying model, with a glider that slips out at ejection.

CPMcGraw
06-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Are you sure that wasn't a crossover episode with "Buck Rogers?"

It was an episode during Season One called "War Games" (or "Wargames"), and most of the episode was shot in "dream sequence", or in a halucenogenic fog, as a result of an encounter with an alien that "went wrong". The humans reacted out of fear instead of using their heads, and attacked the alien instead of trying every last resort to contact it.

The alien used this "dream sequence" to take the Alphans to the brink of their complete destruction, only to make them realize the "error of their ways", and try a last-minute attempt at peace.

Early "politically correctness" showing through, blame the humans for getting their own butts kicked, they're too ignorant to travel in space, shoot-first-ask-questions-later...

You know, all of the stereotype issues, including racism...

Vietnam was still raging when this episode was first aired, I think...

IIRC, when all the smoke cleared and everyone realized it was just an illusion (think "Spectre of the Gun" here...), no one had actually died and the humans were "given a second chance to make a good first impression"...

Right. More stereotyping...

The "Mark 9 Hawks" were not real, but part of the illusion.

Craig "remember it like it was yesterday, but don't ask me what I had for lunch" McGraw

CPMcGraw
06-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Here's my favorite Anderson ship, though. When I get really insane I contemplate a flying model, with a glider that slips out at ejection.

I didn't realize Anderson was behind that movie, but it does have his fingerprint...

What I remember:

This movie was about spotting an identical, but reversed, Earth in orbit exactly on the opposite side of the sun, and sending an astronaut to investigate. Thing is, the other Earth did exactly the same thing, with exactly the same (but reversed) astronaut. When each astronaut arrives at the opposite Earth, he gets grilled about "why did you return so soon, why did you not complete your mission", and no one really recognizes that he's not their astronaut, but the other, until much later (he reads writing only when it's held up to a mirror). When they finally get him back in space, he tries to dock his ship (one polarity) with the local copy of the mothership (wrong polarity), and the contact causes a malfunction, which sends the poor sap crashing back to earth, right into a large rocket ready to take another astronaut (or astronauts) on another journey. End of movie.

Good "B" movie, the kind I wished had been run through MST3K...

Only saw the movie once, about 30-some-odd years ago...

Craig McGraw

Eagle3
06-24-2005, 07:07 AM
War Games was a pretty good episode. Vietnam was wrapped up with the exception of the fall of Saigon when Space: 1999 first aired. Not sure how much of an infulence the war might have had, but it's an interesting thought. That episode also had a cool looking dreadnought ship that sort of reminded me of the Estes Andromeda at the time. Kind of a bad-ass Discovery from 2001. :D My favorite episode of season one is easily Dragon's Domain. I remember being completely creeped out the first time I watched it. *LOL*

I remember seeing Anderson's Doppelganger around third grade. I think when I saw though it had the title, Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. Pretty interesting story and very dark.

Michael Billington passed away within a week of Bishop. I saw a photo of the two of them last year signing autographs at a convention and they did not age well.

Jay, I'll have to look it up, but that Hawk era of Buck Rogers smells supsiciously like a Fred Frieberger turd. It's funny how a lot of Sci Fi shows started good or at least OK and then something changes to totally ruin the show.

OBTW - I'm going to split all of this Sci Fi show stuff off to a seperate thread.

Nuke Rocketeer
06-24-2005, 11:46 AM
I remember seeing Anderson's Doppelganger around third grade. I think when I saw though it had the title, Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. Pretty interesting story and very dark.

I first saw that movie in the 80's. I liked it, especially when they used a spacecraft that was kinda like a Dyna-Soar or one of the NASA lifting bodies.

Joe W

CPMcGraw
06-24-2005, 12:24 PM

Jay, I'll have to look it up, but that Hawk era of Buck Rogers smells supsiciously like a Fred Frieberger turd. It's funny how a lot of Sci Fi shows started good or at least OK and then something changes to totally ruin the show.

That was the title I remember, too... "Journey..." The SFX were good for the time.

I belonged to a Trek group during the '70s while in high school, and Frieberger was generally looked upon as the blame for much of both shows' failings. Most of the rhetoric about him was similar to what gets spread around concerning certain Estes people today... :rolleyes:

...Or at least, it gets spread around to the same thickness... :eek:

Yes, the Hawk period was under Frieberger... Last season garbage...

Craig...

Eagle3
06-24-2005, 01:43 PM

Yes, the Hawk period was under Frieberger... Last season garbage...

Craig...

Frieberger is synomous with "Last Season". :D

Eagle3
06-24-2005, 01:45 PM
OBTW - Sci Fi channel shows Doppelganger every once in a while.

Tweener
06-25-2005, 09:01 AM
I belonged to a Trek group during the '70s while in high school, and Frieberger was generally looked upon as the blame for much of both shows' failings.

Craig...
Ah, yes - third season Trek. :rolleyes: Who can ever forget that memorable line: "Brain and brain! What is brain!?". :p I still crack up every time I see that one. :D

Bob Kaplow
09-13-2008, 10:04 AM
An atomic explosion on the side of the moon opposite Moonbase Alpha (which had a cool layout from my youthful 1970's perspective) blasts the moon out of its Earth orbit to go wandering through the universe.

Happened 9 years ago today: 13 September 1999

CPMcGraw
09-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Happened 9 years ago today: 13 September 1999

Which was 20 years to the day after another 'blast of hot air' called Frederick came a-knockin' through Mobile...

I remember it well, but not fondly...

kurtschachner
09-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Does this one qualify for the discussion, or is it just too goofy?

I loved the show as a kid.

Ltvscout
09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Does this one qualify for the discussion, or is it just too goofy?

I loved the show as a kid.
I used to love watching Land of the Lost as a kid!

kurtschachner
09-13-2008, 06:37 PM
I used to love watching Land of the Lost as a kid!

Too bad it doesn't appear to be on reruns anywhere. Just look at that picture, what a lame show :D

Oooh! Oooh! This just in:

http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Movies/Movie.aspx?prodid=RHIT970507DVD&si=ccity-prod&store=Movies

Now you know what to get me for Christmas.

Solomoriah
09-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I have the whole Land of the Lost set. The first two seasons, written by a variety of excellent science fiction authors, hold up well over the years; the last season is just not up to the same standard.

Ltvscout
09-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Too bad it doesn't appear to be on reruns anywhere. Just look at that picture, what a lame show :D

Oooh! Oooh! This just in:

http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Movies/Movie.aspx?prodid=RHIT970507DVD&si=ccity-prod&store=Movies

Now you know what to get me for Christmas.
Heh, I'll put the bug in Tanya's ear.

I watched a lot of the old Sid & Marty Krofft shows.

kurtschachner
09-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I have the whole Land of the Lost set.

Heh, yeah, hmm.

Are you absolutely sure you wanted to post that for everyone to see?

;)

jadebox
09-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Heh, yeah, hmm.

Are you absolutely sure you wanted to post that for everyone to see?

;)

Once, in a email discussion list totally unrelated to sci-fi or TV, I made a disparaging comment about "Land of the Lost" only to discover/remember that one of the people in the mailing list was a writer for that show. He took offense to my comment because, he explained, a lot of hard work went into writing the show. I explained that my comment was about the production values - the cheap visual effects used in the show - not the stories (whew!).

'Course, I was twelve when the show was on, so I was probably paying more attention to "Holly" than the stories. :-)

-- Roger

DeanHFox
09-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Speaking of Gerry & Silvia Anderson...one of my "fantasy rocket projects" is to build a replica of the EuroSec vehicle from "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" (aka "Doppleganger")...the one that launches the Phoenix spacecraft with the "Dove" glider (some great pix and a nice summary are at http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/plus/dt/vcpgadp.html - the first pic and another about half-way down the page show the rocket on the pad).

While I think it would be cool to have a Phoenix that deploys a Dove, that one is just beyond me. I think I could do the rocket, though. :)

I always thought all the Anderson models looked like they were craft that *just might really work*. To this day, I think they're the coolest of all Sci-Fi craft.

kurtschachner
09-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, here you go - more than you ever wanted to know about the show, complete with a bulletin board!

http://www.landofthelost.com/

Holly was a cutie. Not that I ever noticed though ;)

Once, in a email discussion list totally unrelated to sci-fi or TV, I made a disparaging comment about "Land of the Lost" only to discover/remember that one of the people in the mailing list was a writer for that show. He took offense to my comment because, he explained, a lot of hard work went into writing the show. I explained that my comment was about the production values - the cheap visual effects used in the show - not the stories (whew!).

'Course, I was twelve when the show was on, so I was probably paying more attention to "Holly" than the stories. :-)

-- Roger

luke strawwalker
09-14-2008, 12:02 AM
That reminds me of the other live action series they did called UFO. There were a lot of great vehicles in that one. There were the SkyDivers that had a jet on the front of a submarine, the Interceptors that were the first line of defense on the moonbase. (The control center of which was manned [?] by cute babes with purple pageboy cuts.) There were tank-treaded Mobile Units, moon shuttles, and pretty cool futuristic looking cars. Pretty much every episode I ever seem to remember consisted of three UFO's approaching Earth. :eek: Interceptors are scrambled and get one. :D A Sky launches and gets one. :) One gets through and the Mobile Units are dispatched to track it down on the ground. :rolleyes:

Check this out... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB1k02yh43A

I REALLY like that music! SO sixties sci-fi-- GROOVY BABY!!!
Think I'm gonna use it as background on my personal rocket videos... along with "TELSTAR"... :) Just too cool! OL JR :)

luke strawwalker
09-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Are you sure that wasn't a crossover episode with "Buck Rogers?"

http://www.tvacres.com/aliens_hawk.htm

http://members.fortunecity.com/wendhausen/BRStarshipsv3/profile/buckrogers/hawk.htm

And now, background information on the series... in French. (Ou la la!)

http://www.topkool.com/series_tv/buckrogers.htm

ANNOUNCER'S VOICE: "Erin Gray *is*... Wilma Deering." :D ;)

Cheers,

--Jay

Oh, man Wilma was too uptight...

Now PRINCESS ARDALA... (drools) Now THAT was a WOMAN!!!! WOW!

Hubba hubba! OL JR :)

luke strawwalker
09-14-2008, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=

OBTW - I'm going to split all of this Sci Fi show stuff off to a seperate thread.[/QUOTE]

YES ABSOLUTELY!!! I got the DVD's of the Buck Rogers series for Christmas a couple years back and just watched them all again late this summer and I REALLY enjoyed the first season (except it's last two part episode "Flight of the War Witch" which just sucked) when it came back for it's second season they'd turned it into a total knockoff of Star Trek, with Buck Rogers and Wilma Deering on the "Searcher" ship looking for all the nuclear holocaust survivors that had fled into space... not that they ever found any...

They took everything interesting about the show in it's first season and totally flushed it... No more Princess Ardala and Cane, No more Dr. Huer (well played by Tim O'Connor) and no more battling whatever baddie of the week to save a planet of grateful chicks... No more cool villians like Jack Palance's portrayal of the Hitleresque "Kaleel" or the "Legion of Death's" Kellogg, Quince, and Sherise.... just that d@mn annoying robot that looked like a refugee from a vaccuum cleaner advertisement "Kriton" and the goofy Dr. Goodfellow and Hawk :rolleyes:

The only episode of the entire second season that didn't COMPLETELY SUCK was the next to last episode of the entire series, "Testimony of a Traitor", in which Buck is placed on trial for war crimes in having caused the nuclear holocaust that nearly destroyed Earth in 1987. Archeologists on Earth discovered a burned, crushed lead lined lockbox in some ruins of a military installation on Earth, miraculously containing an intact videotape shot between salvoes of nuclear missiles during the nuclear attack, in which Buck's best friend in 1987 presents evidence he discovered that linked Buck to a group of fanatical USAF generals that had precipitated the war. Buck doesn't remember any of it until mind probing video testimony seems to confirm his guilt, except for his visions of Mt. Rushmore, which lead him to jump ship and explore the 'President's secret bunker' under Mt. Rushmore which triggers his memory of him being hypnotically implanted to infiltrate the cabal of generals and foil the plan, which apparently didn't work quite as planned. Really an interesting episode!
Bit the dust after only one more episode though... and unfortunately so did Battlestar Galactica, of the same time period...

They don't make em like they used to! OL JR :)

luke strawwalker
09-14-2008, 12:35 AM

-- Roger

Hey yeah, I remember her now... she was VERY cute. I watched that show to check her out more than anything, as the alien critters or whatever kinda gave me the creeps... OL JR :)

luke strawwalker
09-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey are any of you guys fans of "V" and "V-The Final Battle"??

That was a VERY cool show! Always wanted one of those red jumpsuits and jackboots for Halloween...

My wife HATES that show, as she's not fond of the Order Reptilia, but hey, Jane Badler was easy on the eyes...:) OL JR :)

jadebox
09-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey are any of you guys fans of "V" and "V-The Final Battle"??

V was excellent. It encouraged me to start reading about history - especially about WWII and the events leading up to it. Not very many sci-fi movies had that kind of effect on people!

-- Roger

luke strawwalker
09-15-2008, 04:46 PM
V was excellent. It encouraged me to start reading about history - especially about WWII and the events leading up to it. Not very many sci-fi movies had that kind of effect on people!

-- Roger

Quite true!!!

It really shows how things changed 'drip by drip like an anesthetic' (to quote a WW II German survivor) and morphed into something horrific...

Too bad the TV series didn't live up to the standards set by the movie... :) OL JR :)

Solomoriah
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Too bad the TV series didn't live up to the standards set by the movie... :) OL JR :)
You could say the same thing about the original Battlestar Galactica. The movie was much better than the series.

DaveR
09-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I watched a lot of the old Sid & Marty Krofft shows.

Do you remember Ruth Buzzi and Jim Nabors in The Lost Saucer? It was part of the Kroft's Supershow but it was only on for a year or so in the mid-70's. Looking back, it was absolutely horrible.

ghrocketman
09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Awww geeez, any thread that has pictures of the "Slee Staks" has morphed into an awful thread.
They were about as believable as decent villains as Elmer Fudd !

Agree that the second season of Buck Rogers was an absolute TURD.
About the only redeeming quality of the second season was Erin Grey continuing to be clad in those tight spandex outfits.

Ltvscout
09-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Do you remember Ruth Buzzi and Jim Nabors in The Lost Saucer? It was part of the Kroft's Supershow but it was only on for a year or so in the mid-70's. Looking back, it was absolutely horrible.
Heh, I'll admit I don't remember that one. (Maybe because it was so bad?)

DaveR
09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Heh, I'll admit I don't remember that one. (Maybe because it was so bad?)
Well, it sure wasn't Sigmund the Sea Monster.

kurtschachner
09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, it sure wasn't Sigmund the Sea Monster.

Excuse me just a minute while I poke my eyes out.

Jeff Walther
10-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Did any of you watch the horrible, yet potential filled series, "The Starlost"? It was Canadian made and lasted one season in the 70s. That could have been a great show. It had a terrific back story, and it was just awful.

Any Babylon 5 fans on the list?

CaninoBD
10-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Did any of you watch the horrible, yet potential filled series, "The Starlost"? It was Canadian made and lasted one season in the 70s. That could have been a great show. It had a terrific back story, and it was just awful.

YES! I remember see it and I loved it at the time, but I haven't see it in years. I also loved The Man from UNCLE when I first saw it, but seeing it much later, i realized just how cheeseie it was. I thought the ARC ship was great, think Valley Forge from Silent Running. The plot line did have much potential, think of Star Trek, but instated of flying to strange new worlds, you can walk to them.

DeanHFox
10-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Any Babylon 5 fans on the list?If you're a STARLOST fan, check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Starlost-Complete-Keir-Dullea/dp/B001DW2BG0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1223592937&sr=8-1

They've also got QUARK, the short-lived NBC comedy available, too. :)

...and if no one else will admit it, I'm a HUGE Babylon 5 fan. Some of the best TV ever done.

Of course, I also loved all the SuperMarionation shows (Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, UFO, Space:1999), so that says something about my mental state. :p

CaninoBD
10-09-2008, 05:58 PM
You could say the same thing about the original Battlestar Galactica. The movie was much better than the series.

Errrr.... the Battlestar Galactica movie(s) were just re-edited TV shows, the original movie, made after the series started was the re edited pilot episode. There were a couple other movies and they were reedited of two stories combined.

CaninoBD
10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Of course, I also loved all the SuperMarionation shows (Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, UFO, Space:1999), so that says something about my mental state. :P

LOL! althought the actors in UFO and Space:1999 acted like they were marionette, the shows were not Supermarionation

DeanHFox
10-09-2008, 06:09 PM
LOL! althought the actors in UFO and Space:1999 acted like they were marionette, the shows were not SupermarionationI wondered if anyone would catch that joke. :D

marslndr
10-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread!

Of course Star Trek, but Also love UFO. I have both on DVD and watch them all the time.

I also like the Invaders, a Quinn Martin production! from '67

I do remember Starlost, A show with a good idea but VERY bad production values,

I still Love Space 1999, 2 or 3 times a year I get together with my highschool friends and spend a night re watching the old shows. 3 late 40's guys get transported back to 17 again, great fun.

One other thing I learned is never bad mouth Land of the Lost, everyone watched it and most people loved it (me too)

Mark

tonypv
10-09-2008, 08:54 PM

Best Kosh voice "Yes". :D

MarkB.
10-09-2008, 09:53 PM
How 'bout Jason of Star Command? That was great Saturday morning stuff when I was a kid!

CaninoBD
10-09-2008, 11:44 PM
How 'bout Jason of Star Command? That was great Saturday morning stuff when I was a kid!

If we are including Saturday morning stuff, How about Johnny Quest, kind of SiFi and very political incorrect, but great stuff.

I also like Star Blazers, really good anime before anyone came up with the term anime.

Ltvscout
10-10-2008, 08:59 AM
If we are including Saturday morning stuff, How about Johnny Quest, kind of SiFi and very political incorrect, but great stuff.
I loved Johnny Quest. It reminded me of Tom Swift. I read just about all of those books as a kid.

DeanHFox
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
It reminded me of Tom Swift. I read just about all of those books as a kid.Scott, I've got the full set (yes, all 33 of 'em) of the Tom Swift, Jr. books from the 60's (and early 70's). If you're interested, you're welcome to read any of 'em you missed. :)

I've often thought about building a model rocket of the "Star Spear" from TS Jr. #3, a cover scan of the rocket here: http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/rocket2.html . I loved the illustration of that one! :) The rockets that appeared in the later books (Outpost in Space, Race to the Moon) never caught my imagination like the original. :)

Ltvscout
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Scott, I've got the full set (yes, all 33 of 'em) of the Tom Swift, Jr. books from the 60's (and early 70's). If you're interested, you're welcome to read any of 'em you missed. :)

I've often thought about building a model rocket of the "Star Spear" from TS Jr. #3, a cover scan of the rocket here: http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/rocket2.html . I loved the illustration of that one! :) The rockets that appeared in the later books (Outpost in Space, Race to the Moon) never caught my imagination like the original. :)
Cool! I know I didn't have the full set. The ones I did have are now stored in the attic in our garage. I haven't looked at them in years. I hope the silverfish didn't wreck them all. :(

Mikus
10-10-2008, 10:50 PM
About the only redeeming quality of the second season was Erin Grey continuing to be clad in those tight spandex outfits.

Mmmmm.... :D

Mikus
10-10-2008, 10:54 PM
...and if no one else will admit it, I'm a HUGE Babylon 5 fan. Some of the best TV ever done.

Agreed, except for the 5th season. But seasons 1-4 were incredibly good. Totally ruined Star Trek for me, to this day I have no idea how DS9 ended. :confused:

luke strawwalker
10-11-2008, 01:06 AM

I have EXTREMELY vague memories of maybe perhaps having seen parts of this show... but have no idea when or where...

This is an uber-cool link though... FANTASTIC music, and the purple haired chicas are easy on the eyes... LOL:) OL JR :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB1k02yh43A

F_O_G
10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Twilight Zone :D and although it wasn't sci-fi but pretty close was Medical mysteries, there was this other one that was pretty neat but it only ran for five shows :( but I know in one of them there was a trial for a robot as to whether it was too human to be destroyed and it was a recent series that showed about a year ago.

luke strawwalker
10-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Awww geeez, any thread that has pictures of the "Slee Staks" has morphed into an awful thread.
They were about as believable as decent villains as Elmer Fudd !

Agree that the second season of Buck Rogers was an absolute TURD.

Well, there is that... :) Erin Gray also got fitted for a very tight VERY short skirted white 'naval' uniform with short white boots...

MAN she has some nice legs!!! That was the ONLY redeeming part of the second season of Buck Rogers...

OL JR :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Well, there is that... :) Erin Gray also got fitted for a very tight VERY short skirted white 'naval' uniform with short white boots...

MAN she has some nice legs!!! That was the ONLY redeeming part of the second season of Buck Rogers...

OL JR :)

ENOUGH OF THE TALK, MAN!! Pictures. We need pictures! ;)

pantherjon
10-22-2008, 07:34 AM
ENOUGH OF THE TALK, MAN!! Pictures. We need pictures! ;)
Not the 'micro skirt'..Will this one do? :p

Edit: A little more looking and I found one!.. :chuckle:

kurtschachner
10-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I didn't see this one mentioned yet. It was one of my favorites as a kid:

http://www.bigredhair.com/search/index.html

Eagle3
10-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Awfully cold set. :rolleyes:

CaninoBD
10-22-2008, 12:18 PM

O yea, I really like Probe / Search, but thought of it more as action / adventure instated of sifi, but the toys were cool.

Ltvscout
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Awfully cold set. :rolleyes:
:chuckle:
Reminds me of the Farah Fawcett poster. You know, the one where she was excited to see me. :D

Ltvscout
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Hmm, I can't say I remember watching this one.

kurtschachner
10-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Hmm, I am surprised at that. You and I were often "on the same page" in our formative years ;)

It is hard to find websites about this show. Having the name "Search" doesn't help at all...

Hmm, I can't say I remember watching this one.

CaninoBD
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Hmm, I am surprised at that. You and I were often "on the same page" in our formative years ;)

It is hard to find websites about this show. Having the name "Search" doesn't help at all...

If you add Probe TV and or 1972 to the search, it helps.

Probe was the name of the pilot film episode, but they had to change the name as there was a PBS series was using the name.

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-22-2008, 03:49 PM
:chuckle:
Reminds me of the Farah Fawcett poster. You know, the one where she was excited to see me. :D

(Scott's world in a nutshell. :rolleyes: )

Pyro Pro
10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
How about Doctor Who? Or is this the wrong country to discuss it in? :D
I've highly enjoyed the new series.

Ltvscout
10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
(Scott's world in a nutshell. :rolleyes: )
You're just jealous that she was excited to see me and not you! :p

Jeff Walther
10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
How about Doctor Who? Or is this the wrong country to discuss it in? :D
I've highly enjoyed the new series.

The new series rocks. Of course, I like the old series too. Some folks are put off by the low production values in the old shows, but as long as the story is interesting, I really don't care if the props are obviously made out of Kraft tubes and balsa wood.

I wouldn't have minded if Billie Piper had stuck around longer, or for that matter, Christopher Eccelt... (sp?). But I like the new doctor/actor just fine and doing away with Piper made for some great story.

However, when they brought her back, I did not like the resolution of that issue. How happy is she going to be with a xerox copy which has no TARDIS and only one heart?

sandman
10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
The new series rocks. Of course, I like the old series too. Some folks are put off by the low production values in the old shows, but as long as the story is interesting, I really don't care if the props are obviously made out of Kraft tubes and balsa wood.

I wouldn't have minded if Billie Piper had stuck around longer, or for that matter, Christopher Eccelt... (sp?). But I like the new doctor/actor just fine and doing away with Piper made for some great story.

However, when they brought her back, I did not like the resolution of that issue. How happy is she going to be with a xerox copy which has no TARDIS and only one heart?

The new season has been playing on CBC (Canadian) on Friday nights at 9:00P.M.

So...nobody call me between 9:00 and 10:00 on Fridays.

At the end of last weeks episode they did a teaser for this week...something about some young blond girl that the Doctor claims is his daughter!!!

OK, I'm interested!

DeanHFox
10-22-2008, 08:00 PM

It is hard to find websites about this show. Having the name "Search" doesn't help at all...Guys, try www.probecontrol.com ... great site.

BTW, there was a guy from Australia that had posted the vast majority of the old Search episodes to a web site a few months back...recorded "off the air", but not bad quality...I grabbed 'em while they were up, as they were taken down not long after. He used to work in a TV station "Down Under" and had recorded them onto video tape back in the 70's! NBC has never released Search on VHS or DVD (except for the pilot movie, once, on VHS, and no longer available --- although you see one on eBay from time to time). Apparently, the series was marked as "export only" after it was filmed, so it can't be released in the US. Dumb.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Hugh O'Brien as the primary "World Securities" (aka Probe) agent. Tony Franciosa & Doug McClure played the other couple agents, and Burgess Meredith ran the "control room" full of wisecracking "mission controllers". A great little show, with Robert Justman (of Star Trek fame) as the Producer, if I remember correctly.

kurtschachner
10-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Can you connect to www.probecontrol.com? Whenever I try I get a placeholder page. I knew about that site before and it's been doing that for several months now.

Solomoriah
10-22-2008, 08:44 PM
The new season has been playing on CBC (Canadian) on Friday nights at 9:00P.M.

So...nobody call me between 9:00 and 10:00 on Fridays.

At the end of last weeks episode they did a teaser for this week...something about some young blond girl that the Doctor claims is his daughter!!!

OK, I'm interested!
It's good!

I download the episodes via Bittorrent as soon as they air in the UK, and watch with my daughter (she's a big fan).

Pyro Pro
10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
It's good!

I download the episodes via Bittorrent as soon as they air in the UK, and watch with my daughter (she's a big fan).

It is good (but I'd probably say that about all of them... :rolleyes: )

I watched them all as they came out over the summer (a couple people usually put them up on YouTube a few hours after they aired-- I think they're still there, too; just search for the name of the episode here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials , then include with the title something like "Part 1" to get the right videos)

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-22-2008, 10:17 PM
You're just jealous that she was excited to see me and not you! :p

Nah, I was always more of a Cheryl Ladd fan. (But, in a pinch, who knows......)

Jeff Walther
10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Nah, I was always more of a Cheryl Ladd fan. (But, in a pinch, who knows......)

What, you mean there was pinching too?

Ltvscout
10-23-2008, 12:24 PM
What, you mean there was pinching too?
Ya, Bill is kind of kinky like that. :chuckle: