PDA

View Full Version : Saturn V First Flight 40th Anniversary (Apollo 4) 11-9-07

Earl
11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Was not really sure where exactly to post this topic, but thought it worth 'observing' that tomorrow, November 9, 2007 marks the 40th anniversary of the first Saturn V flight -- Apollo 4 -- from KSC (7:00am launch time I think). All-up flight, full three stages, the whole 'smash'. Gutsy move, but that's the kind of steps it took to get to the moon by the end of the decade.

For those who have a flyable Saturn V in their 'stable', might not be a bad time to dust 'em off and toss up a commemorative flight on Friday.

Though I never saw a *full-sized* Saturn fly from KSC (I've seen about five shuttles go from there), I had the great fun of flying my Centuri Saturn V (built during fall of '82 thru fall of '83) from LC-39 for the Apollo 11 20th anniversary celebration at KSC in the summer of '89 (July 16th to be exact). Pad setup was by the countdown clock, right across the street from the VAB. Apollo 11 crew on hand for ceremonies an hour before the rocket flew.

Most fun-filled 'rocketry' day I ever had, along with John Cato, builder of the tower and pad we flew from. Did a repeat performance in '94 there for the 25th anniversary celebrations and again in '99 for the 30th anniversary celebrations.

Flown on a central Aerotech E10 and four outboard mini-As. Countdown clock was synchronized to the actual Apollo 11 launch commentary audio ('Voice of Apollo' Jack King) from 20 years ago, and F-1 'thrust buildup' was simulated by a special 'fire and smoke' device in the base of the launcher. About 500 people in the Press Stand there to witness the launch (was an open house day that day at KSC for KSC workers and family members). Press everywhere sticking cameras and mics in our faces while trying to get this vehicle ready (about a three hour prep time on the entire setup of vehicle and pad).

Attached photos show one shot of John and I shaking hands post-flight and another with the Saturn on the pad with the VAB in the background. Note the now-dated Bicenntenial logo on the side of the VAB (removed sometime in the latter 90s I believe).

Royatl
11-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Was not really sure where exactly to post this topic, but thought it worth 'observing' that tomorrow, November 9, 2007 marks the 40th anniversary of the first Saturn V flight -- Apollo 4 -- from KSC (7:00am launch time I think).

For me, tomorrow marks the 40th anniversary of my introduction to model rocketry! After watching the liftoff on TV (kept switching between Frank McGee and Walter Cronkite), I went to school with my meticulously drawn poster of Saturn V for my homeroom's mini Science Fair. The kid setting up next to me was an émigré from Czechoslovakia named Ulrich Kirchman. He had a Centuri LIA-77 launch pad with a green and red Estes Honest John.
I was mesmerized by it, and he loaned me an Estes catalog. Took nine months before I actually flew a model rocket, but that was the start.

dwmzmm
11-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Nice photos & story, Earl. Thanks for posting them!