PDA

View Full Version : NARAM-50: Summer 2008

Tau Zero
11-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm already having to plan ahead to see if I can manage to make it to NARAM-50:

http://www.narhams.org/naram50/

I won't be able to stay the whole week, but I'm looking at being there early on (to hang out with the vendors and hit the sport launch field, if possible). Thanks to Art Applewhite (http://www.artapplewhite.com/launches.html), I see the "Old Rocketeers Reunion" will be Saturday (night?). July 26th.

Any comments or input from somebody who's actually *been* to one of these?

Thanks, and cheers,

Initiator001
11-08-2007, 07:53 PM

http://www.narhams.org/naram50/

I won't be able to stay the whole week, but I'm looking at being there early on (to hang out with the vendors and hit the sport launch field, if possible). Thanks to Art Applewhite (http://www.artapplewhite.com/launches.html), I see the "Old Rocketeers Reunion" will be Saturday (night?). July 26th.

Any comments or input from somebody who's actually *been* to one of these?

Thanks, and cheers,

Do you mean been to a NARAM or an ORR (or both)?

Bob

Tau Zero
11-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Do you mean been to a NARAM or an ORR (or both)?Bob,

Sorry! I meant NARAM. :o

But if you've been to the other, that too. ;) :D

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-09-2007, 03:40 AM
1. Bring sunscreen.
2. Bring money.
3. Bring rockets.
4. Find a roommate. Preferably one from Kentucky who might make the trip for the opening weekend. :rolleyes:

Bazookadale
11-09-2007, 07:17 AM
1. Bring sunscreen.
Figure out the maximum spf you'll need for the week then double that

2. Bring money.:
Figure the maximun you can afford then quadruple that

3. Bring rockets.:
everyone you own - rent a bigger vehicle if needed ( remember you will be bringing a lot more home then you came with!)

Phred
11-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Bring gatorade!!

And buy a new sharpie pen for Vern and Lee to sign your rockets.

Ph

AstronMike
11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Since this NARAM 50 thread is now here, and I may get to go if things go right, I wanted to ask, how good is 'range thoughput' at this event? I am refering to how easy or difficult is it for a given guy to fly X times per day on the Sport range?

Yea, I know there are 7 days total, but one or two flights a day leaves an awful lot of standing around in unfamiliar territory.

Ive heard that CMASS is really good at getting the range flowing well, is NOVAAR/NARHAMS just as adept?

Phred
11-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I flew at NARAM 46, and experienced no delays at the sport range. Check in was as fast as I have experienced at CMASS.

Ph

chanstevens
11-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Sport flying at national events tends to be hit or miss. I've flown 20+ times per day with some clubs, other clubs I've had to wait 45-60 minutes waiting for them to cycle a single set of pads.

That said, the gang running N-50 did a great job running N-46, so I wouldn't expect any issues there.

By the way, I presume most readers here are into the sport, not competition flying, but if you can stick around beyond the sport weekend the mid-week Imagination Celebration tends to showcase some interesting flights. There should also be some gorgeous scale models flying Friday in the competition.

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Agreed. One time I saw a guy fly a plastic model into a trailer. Another time I saw a guy fly a rocket RIGHT INTO a garbage can. I'm not sure what Chan has planned for big number 5-0, but I'd consider taking my vacation during NARAM if I happened to live in the area of The Plains in Virginia. :eek:

chanstevens
11-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Agreed. One time I saw a guy fly a plastic model into a trailer. Another time I saw a guy fly a rocket RIGHT INTO a garbage can. I'm not sure what Chan has planned for big number 5-0, but I'd consider taking my vacation during NARAM if I happened to live in the area of The Plains in Virginia. :eek:

Ah yes...back to the site where it all began. My first NARAM, where I started my world domination of Best Midwest Qualified Flight. Of course, since there's no PMC in this year's event list, I'm really struggling coming up with a strategy for a spectacular failure. I might have to revert to my fall-back plan of just winning another stinkin' national championship :cool: .

Chan "winner of 2 of the 3 NARAM's he's entered" Stevens

barone
11-09-2007, 01:58 PM
LMAO! Was that Chan who flew the rocket into the trailer? I beleive it was! And wasn't that a qualified flight? I beleive it was! I think he got two trophies for that. ;)

Now the garbage can.....

chanstevens
11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
LMAO! Was that Chan who flew the rocket into the trailer? I beleive it was! And wasn't that a qualified flight? I beleive it was! I think he got two trophies for that. ;)

Now the garbage can.....

Yep, guilty on all counts. The photos below show my Best Midwest "Trophies" from Naram's 46 and 47, where I became the first ever back-to-back winner. Notice the glimmering things next to them? Those would be the real hardware also won on those same events with those same models, also unpecedented. In the case of the "trailer flight", it did qualify, though it changed RSO procedures as a result.

The real kicker was that the "trophy" from 47 is made up mostly of my own model's parts, plus some nasty thorny grass from my own club's field. I can't shake the stuff!

As for the trash can, that was part of my really nasty string of luck at this year's NSL (see thread over on TRF). Bob Kaplow, head of the BMQF award committee, was there and asking me if I was practicing for BMQF for NARAM. I told him it was just the opposite--I was getting all the national launch failures out of the way so I could have a problem-free NARAM.

--Chan Stevens

Initiator001
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Yep, guilty on all counts. The photos below show my Best Midwest "Trophies" from Naram's 46 and 47, where I became the first ever back-to-back winner. Notice the glimmering things next to them? Those would be the real hardware also won on those same events with those same models, also unpecedented. In the case of the "trailer flight", it did qualify, though it changed RSO procedures as a result.

The real kicker was that the "trophy" from 47 is made up mostly of my own model's parts, plus some nasty thorny grass from my own club's field. I can't shake the stuff!

As for the trash can, that was part of my really nasty string of luck at this year's NSL (see thread over on TRF). Bob Kaplow, head of the BMQF award committee, was there and asking me if I was practicing for BMQF for NARAM. I told him it was just the opposite--I was getting all the national launch failures out of the way so I could have a problem-free NARAM.

--Chan Stevens

Chan,

Congrats on your back-to-back BMQF awards and welcome to the club. :eek:

Bob "NARAM-29 BMQF" Sanford

Tau Zero
11-09-2007, 11:52 PM
1. Bring sunscreen.
2. Bring money.
3. Bring rockets.Good suggestions, all of them! (Of course, that means I'll have to actually *finish* building and painting some rockets, won't I?!? :eek: :rolleyes: )

4. Find a roommate. Preferably one from Kentucky who might make the trip for the opening weekend. :rolleyes:Actually, I hadn't even considered a possibility like that, but yeah, it's definitely do-able! :D ;)

At this point, I'm thinking in terms of flying in on Friday, July 25th, and probably leaving the 28th (since my wife would probably like me to be home for her birthday on the 29th).

At any rate, that's kind of what I'm thinkin'. :cool:

Cheers,

barone
11-10-2007, 06:58 AM
......At this point, I'm thinking in terms of flying in on Friday, July 25th, and probably leaving the 28th (since my wife would probably like me to be home for her birthday on the 29th).
What's the matter? Is she not a good enough roommate to bring along? :eek:

Royatl
11-10-2007, 07:15 AM

--Chan Stevens

You know Chan, if you lived in Atlanta, you could practice with Dale Windsor's Bucket 'o Rockets, which we set out every sport launch as a target. The person who lands a rocket in it gets (currently) about 9 different kits, including a Roachwerks Saturn 1B! (we used to increase the loot monthly, but since it was obvious that no one is going to hit it for a long time, it topped out at nine).

It's been out over two years now and no one's gotten closer than six feet. But you seem like you've got the special mojo for it. We may have it sitting out at NSL 2008 (with maybe a different prize combination).

Green Dragon
11-10-2007, 09:06 AM

--Chan Stevens

Good show :)

I have one of those myself, although not from a NARAM, but LDRS 12 .... " Most Energetic Disassembly " .

~ AL

looking forward to meeting many of the forum members at NARAM 50 / Old Rocketeers Reunion !!!

Green Dragon
11-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Bring gatorade!!

And buy a new sharpie pen for Vern and Lee to sign your rockets.

Ph

Concur with the Gatorade.

funny thing about the Sharpie is that I've met Vern at MANY differing events over the years, even helped him with showing off his static test stand at NARAM 37, and have NEVER had him autograph anything, not my range box, rockets, forhead, nothing ....
and I also met Lee and Betty at LDRS 5 in Medina ( where Lee was awarded the very first lifetime membership to Tripoli ) , same deal.....

guess I need to build an "autograph " rocket for that ...

( semi-on-topic comment 2 - we HAD a " graphiti-roc " for our local club back in the day (2.5" mailing tube rocket with 3 x C6 cluster ), and all club members signed / commented on it ... not sure what ever happened to it ...

hmmm...

~ AL

Tau Zero
11-10-2007, 11:16 AM
What's the matter? Is she not a good enough roommate to bring along? :eek:Don,

Kathryn's a *plenty* good enough roommate to bring along! ;) :D I had even suggested that she and our two girls fly out to Virginia and visit her best friend in *southern* Virginia while I went north for a few days, and then joined up with them. Unfortunately, her friend works at a camp/retreat center called Eastover, and that involves *impossible* hours when it comes to chances for visiting during the summer.

Anyway, it looks like our "collective" family vacation will involve something else, maybe sometime in June. :)

Cheers,

barone
11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Don,

Kathryn's a *plenty* good enough roommate to bring along! ;) :D I had even suggested that she and our two girls fly out to Virginia and visit her best friend in *southern* Virginia while I went north for a few days, and then joined up with them. Unfortunately, her friend works at a camp/retreat center called Eastover, and that involves *impossible* hours when it comes to chances for visiting during the summer.

Anyway, it looks like our "collective" family vacation will involve something else, maybe sometime in June. :)

Cheers,
I've been trying to get my wife to go to the last two I've been to (47 and 49) but the cats can't be left alone more than three days at a time, even less now that one of them has to be on medication. I told her when the dog dies, no more pets....so she gets three cats BEFORE the dog dies..... we had him for 16 years and the cats are suppose to live longer.....So, you can imagine that it's been some time since we've had a long FAMILY vacation..... :eek:

Bazookadale
11-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Bring the cats along, Kaplow's dog will give them plenty of exercise!

barone
11-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Bring the cats along, Kaplow's dog will give them plenty of exercise!
LMAO!

Royatl
11-10-2007, 05:27 PM
I've been trying to get my wife to go to the last two I've been to (47 and 49) but the cats can't be left alone more than three days at a time, even less now that one of them has to be on medication. I told her when the dog dies, no more pets....so she gets three cats BEFORE the dog dies..... we had him for 16 years and the cats are suppose to live longer.....So, you can imagine that it's been some time since we've had a long FAMILY vacation..... :eek:

I leave my cat Pooter all the time. That is exactly why I have a cat instead of a dog. Fortunately I have a couple of friends who check in on her every couple of days to fill her bowls and pet her. Yes, she's really pissed at me when I get home, but she forgets all about that in about, oh, 15 minutes.

Tau Zero
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM

http://www.narhams.org/naram50/Hey, everybody,

It looks like I won't be able to make it to NARAM-50 this year. I have some other family-related obligations I need to take care of.

I guess I'll have to settle for getting the highly official NARAM-50 packet and T-shirt. :rolleyes:

(And please don't torment me with the fact that Lee and Betty Piester will be there.)

Initiator001, if you can pass the word, I'd appreciate it.

Everybody have a good time!

Cheers,

Rocket Doctor
02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey, everybody,

It looks like I won't be able to make it to NARAM-50 this year. I have some other family-related obligations I need to take care of.

I guess I'll have to settle for getting the highly official NARAM-50 packet and T-shirt. :rolleyes:

(And please don't torment me with the fact that Lee and Betty Piester will be there.)

Initiator001, if you can pass the word, I'd appreciate it.

Everybody have a good time!

Cheers,

Please don't forget to get your Golden Scout and be part of the Historic launch. They should be avaialbe in about two to three weeks from Semroc.

Sorry that you can't make it...

carbons4
07-29-2008, 01:17 PM
If anybody has any photos of the Naram or more specificly the ORR please post them. I would have loved to have gone and seen several people i used to know but was 8 hrs away at a previous engagement.

Leo
07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
If anybody has any photos of the Naram or more specificly the ORR please post them. I would have loved to have gone and seen several people i used to know but was 8 hrs away at a previous engagement.

Here ... (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=3608)

carbons4
07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
thank you

Bob Kaplow
08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Chan, you're not the first to win back-to-back BMWQF awards. The late Bruce Markielewski did it at NARAM-38 and -39.

Bob Kaplow
08-10-2008, 05:24 PM
My ORR / NARAM-50 photos (minus the two museum trips)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobkaplow/