PDA

View Full Version : Semroc Taurus

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Seems like I started this one before I could shave. This is an all Semroc Taurus, right down to the laser cut balsa fins. I bought the parts for several clones from Semroc several months back and Carl sent along several of his laser cut fin sheets to make the going smoother. And smooth it was. Carl also sent the long pod cones you see here, along with the rounded ones I'd ordered. I did this one "ala Buzz"; black pods and pointed cones, but I still have parts for another. :cool:
This was one of only two flights I managed yesterday before the heat baked what passes for my brain. I flew it on a B6-4, but it ejected early, more like a B6-2. (And NO, I wasn't that baked! :D ) Recovered with no damage and I might try to get out today to fly it at one of the local fields.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Two side by side shots to compare the Semroc version (non-decaled) to the Moldin' Oldies version (with decals). I like the rounded pod cones better. I also like the white pods, but they're a huge PITA to deal with when painting. The Moldin' Oldies version is currently disabled due to an engine problem not of it's own making, but I think I figured out a way to fix it. (Can you say "DRAG RACE"? :eek: :cool: )

Ltvscout
06-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Two side by side shots to compare the Semroc version (non-decaled) to the Moldin' Oldies version (with decals). I like the rounded pod cones better.
So which pod cones are correct, or were they both used at one time or another?

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-26-2005, 06:42 PM
I think both were used at different times. The Moldin' Oldies Taurus is also shorter than the Semroc version because of differences in the transitions.

dtomko
06-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Bill,
Beauties. I thought I was partial to the pointy cones, but I agree with you, in a side by side comparison, I think the rounded cones look better.
Did the Semroc transition come hollowed out or did you do that yourself? And on that version is the separation point at the bottom of the upper transition?
Gotta build me one of these . . . as soon as the uncompleted pile drops below the "how dare you buy another rocket" stage. ;)
Drew

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Bill,
Did the Semroc transition come hollowed out or did you do that yourself? And on that version is the separation point at the bottom of the upper transition?

I did all the hollowing with my Dremel tool, to the point that you can see light shing through the transition. (Guess I'm a little heavy-handed. :o ) The separation point is just below the topmost transition, but I could have hollowed that one out as well. Worked well both ways.

EchoVictor
06-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Bill,
beautiful work! My vote goes for the rounded pod cones on top of the white tubes. They may have been a PITA to paint, but the white makes 'em stand out more.

Later,
EV

Eagle3
06-27-2005, 09:46 AM
I believe the pointed cones were used first and sometime in the late '70's early 80's they switched over to rounded. A friend of mine in Jr HS had one in '73 and it had pointed cones.

To me it's 6 of one, etc, etc... I tend to lean a little more towards the pointed. Ideally youhad a set of both cones in hand and switch them out according to your mood. *LOL*

I almost launched my yesterday, but the wind cranked up and I had a C6-5 in it and a 18" nylon chute. I told the RSO to pass when it came my turn. Still, it looks pretty cool on the pad. ;)

http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/jmrc26june05/P6261395

EchoVictor
06-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Eagle3,
nice design on Tavia! Are the sides full tubes and cones or are they cut down (3/4 or 1/2)?

Later,
EV

Eagle3
06-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Eagle3,
nice design on Tavia! Are the sides full tubes and cones or are they cut down (3/4 or 1/2)?

Later,
EV

Thanks EV. The main body tube is BT-50 and the side tubes are BT-20.

I wish that the Tavia could have made it to the shelves. It was going to be in the second round of 18mm motor kits I designed for Rich Rau when he owned THOY. He sold the company to Rocket R&D after the first round hit the stores. Rocket R&D wasn't interested in the 18mm stuff and sold everything (including the rights) to someone I can't find. :( I still have all of the original plans though.

Doug Sams
06-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Two side by side shots to compare the Semroc version (non-decaled) to the Moldin' Oldies version (with decals).

Bill,

Very nice work. These are really sharp.

You said (elsewhere) that the Moldin' Oldies version had "met its maker", so this pic was taken before the wreck?

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2005, 03:55 PM
It's still in one piece externally, but one of those shotgun ejection charges from Estes ripped the engine hook out of the Moldin' Oldies version. I'm going to try to glue in a new engine mount.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Missed one from Saturday. On the Quark pad at the VOA. (If you look closely, you can see the humidity.)

EchoVictor
02-26-2007, 09:52 PM
<Bump>

I never did a build thread on my own, but I just finished the decals on my Semroc Taurus last night and figured I needed to put a pic of it up somewhere.....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/EchoVictor/Rocket%20Stuff/100_0642.jpg

Later,
EV

BTW, Buzz....you by chance still have the plans for your 'Tavia' handy? If so, I'd love a copy....

Gus
02-26-2007, 10:59 PM
EV,

Very, very nice.

Eagle3
02-27-2007, 07:15 AM
<Bump>

BTW, Buzz....you by chance still have the plans for your 'Tavia' handy? If so, I'd love a copy....

Nice Taurus EV. It's always been one of my favorite all time kits.

As for the Tavia, I'm working on converting the old THOY plans to PDF at least, rocksim if I can. To give you an idea how old they are I did them in MacDraw. :eek: As soon as I'm finished piecing the Salamander plans together I'll get back on that project.

Bob H
02-27-2007, 01:20 PM
As soon as I'm finished piecing the Salamander plans together I'll get back on that project.

HIJACK

How are the Salamander plans coming along? I've been piecing those together just enough to get the parts made so I can try and build it before the launch season starts around here.

/HIJACK

Eagle3
02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm about a third of the way done. Several other projects have been getting in the way. Hopefully I'll have it done this weekend unless I go up north snowmobiling. :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
02-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Hopefully I'll have it done this weekend unless I go up north snowmobiling. :rolleyes:
Good idea. I haven't been up north snowmobiling since New Years. :o

Arley Davis
02-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Moldin' Oldies Taurus nose cones and transitions are cloned from an actual Centuri Taurus kit. The Semroc version is not an exact clone of the original, put it still looks cool.

From It’s first appearance in 1972 Image.
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/72cen046.html

Until It’s Last appearance in 1981 Image.
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri81/81cen18.html

You can see the pod nose cones were always long and pointy.