PDA

View Full Version : Finishing touches

Veracity
12-01-2007, 12:50 PM
To all,

Although I've built my share of rockets, the one I'm currently building is my first in ten years.
I'm feeling a bit older and wiser---so I'd like to make it as beautiful as possible.

So...

Whereas I never used to use primer or a top coat (or whatever you call it) I need the advice of you learned ladies & gentlemen.

I bought a nice primer. I've already picked out the Krylon paint I'll be using. What else needs to be done?

Aside from 1)prime it 2)lightly sand it 3)paint it, I don't know what else to do and in what order to do it.

Who amongst you will school me in the ways of paint and finishing coats?

Intruder
12-01-2007, 01:19 PM
#1: Find a way to hold the rocket without touching it. I use a dowel rod with a spent engine slipped over it.
#2: Paint the top coat in low humidity. If you paint it with high humidity, it will haze up (be nice and shinny in some places and flat looking in others).
#3: Paint with *light* coats. If it doesn't cover good, wait about 5 min. and give it another *light* coat. Let it dry.
#4: If you are using light color paints (like red and yellow), paint white over the primer and let it dry for several hours (or all day) before you put on the top coat.
#5: If it feels a little sticky, it is not dry. Do not touch the rocket to test this. Touch the dowel rod (or whatever you used to hold it). If you touch the rocket, you could leave your finger prints on it.

Thats all I can think of right now. Good luck. Hope it turns out great.

MSUrocketgurl
12-01-2007, 09:26 PM
#1: Find a way to hold the rocket without touching it. I use a dowel rod with a spent engine slipped over it.
#2: Paint the top coat in low humidity. If you paint it with high humidity, it will haze up (be nice and shinny in some places and flat looking in others).
#3: Paint with *light* coats. If it doesn't cover good, wait about 5 min. and give it another *light* coat. Let it dry.
#4: If you are using light color paints (like red and yellow), paint white over the primer and let it dry for several hours (or all day) before you put on the top coat.
#5: If it feels a little sticky, it is not dry. Do not touch the rocket to test this. Touch the dowel rod (or whatever you used to hold it). If you touch the rocket, you could leave your finger prints on it.

Thats all I can think of right now. Good luck. Hope it turns out great.

Very good advice! I always end up with fingerprints :( no matter no hard I try to avoid it or how long I wait - if not mine someone elses :mad:

The only thing I can add is that I've found that wet sanding between coats really helps. It has improved my finishes 100%.

Green Dragon
12-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum here ! ( where are you in NY ? was going to look it up but too lazy, lol.. I;m near Binghamton, others on here are in NY as well, you might find someone close by ).

anyways - great advise regarding humidity ( and COLD TEMPS in NY ), especially with Krylon, good paint but VERY prone to the blushing mentioned, I;ve ruined a couple finishes with same.

One thing nooone mentioned was sealer - definately find a sanding sealer and put 1-2 coats on the fins ( and sand smooth) before the primer.
a good primer will seal the grain with a couple coats and sanding, but without sealing the primer, and some of the topcoat, will soak into the wood fibers and not cover well .

I use Pinecar brand ( water based ) sealer and have had good results, others have thier own methods, and will likely speak up :) .
I;ve also just started 'experimenting' with a brush on wood sealer, don;t recall the brand - some sort of arts & crafts / tole painting sealer that I found in a drawer at the shop, lol... results to follow.

again, welcome tot he insane world of rocket obsession, lol, and feel free to speak up, ask questions, etc.

~ AL

pantherjon
12-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Welcome to YORF Veracity! :) What others have posted is good advice..Since you have a Krylon color picked out, it would probably be best to use Krylon primer..If it is a light color then use the Krylon WHITE primer, if not use the gray variety..As for the 'wet' paint, if you can smell the paint it is not quite ready for the decals and then clearcoat..

mrhemi1971
12-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Another type of paint you can use is Automotive paint from the local parts store. You will need to use a really good primer before you spray these on, but you'l also get a bit of a harder finish that dries quickly due to it being a lacquer paint. Plus you can get some really wild colors too.

ScaleNut
12-02-2007, 09:37 AM
the main route to a flawless finish is the condition of the rocket prior to priming/ painting, the prep work is 90% of the job.
painting is just the final step, the easiest part, so honestly the best paint in the world will not make a big difference to the final outcome.

I don't worry about the color or type of of primer because I always paint a white coat(krylon) over that. than I decide if it's ready for color , wetsanding, or some further touchup.
when the rocket looks good at this point it will look great with the final color(s)

Veracity
12-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Excellent advice. Thanks.

I'm all over the sanding sealer. Been doing that for.,..well...forever.

What is "wet sanding"?

Also...

Please be more specific regarding the clear coat. Which one to buy...any special application techniques...etc.

I have a white colored primer made by a Japanese company called Tamia (I think). If you fine folks thing I should, I'll get the Krylon stuff. The only reason I didn't get it in the first place was 'cause the only colors available in my local store were black and dark gray. I figured it had to be white or else the light finishing colors would be dull.

(I live out on Long Island, by the way.)

sandman
12-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Excellent advice. Thanks.

I'm all over the sanding sealer. Been doing that for.,..well...forever.

What is "wet sanding"?

Also...

Please be more specific regarding the clear coat. Which one to buy...any special application techniques...etc.

I have a white colored primer made by a Japanese company called Tamia (I think). If you fine folks thing I should, I'll get the Krylon stuff. The only reason I didn't get it in the first place was 'cause the only colors available in my local store were black and dark gray. I figured it had to be white or else the light finishing colors would be dull.

(I live out on Long Island, by the way.)

Wet sanding is just what it sounds like. Use a wet/dry sandpaper (it's usually black) and keep a container of water nearby to dip the sandpaper in to keep it wet.

Have a bunch of paper towels handy to wipe the model clean and dry every once in a while to check your progress.

This makes the sandpaper last longer and keeps it from clogging. This is done on the finish paint NOT on the bare cardboard rocket!

I like to use a high fill primer like Bondo, Duplicolor or even Kilz. Sand it smooth before you spray the final color.

Krylon gloss paint will cover the primer (grey or white) quite well so don't worry about the primer color too much.

If you are going to use waterslide decals on the finished model you MUST use gloss paint!

For a top coat, (clear coat) you will have to experiment on some surface for compatability. Some clear coats will attack the finish paint real bad.

Future Floor Finish (get it at the grocery store in the soap department) is compatible with just about everything and every kind of decal. Apply it with either a clean cloth, foam brush or even an airbrush will work if you have one.

Testors Gloss coat or Dull Coat seems to work with most paints but again...experiment.

Good luck but remember even us veterens screw up our share of paint jobs.

One friend of mine is an excellent modeler but he made the comment once that, "When I start to paint, suddenly I'm eight years old again." :o