PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird trouble

F_O_G
12-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I am currently working on and S4-72 Blackbird. The trouble is that I glued one of the top fins on and over night it moved to a smaller degree than what it was supposed to be.

Will that effect the flight? If so, how can I safely remove the fin to reglue it on?

And no, I did not use epoxy, I used wood glue.

CPMcGraw
12-19-2007, 04:42 PM
I am currently working on and S4-72 Blackbird. The trouble is that I glued one of the top fins on and over night it moved to a smaller degree than what it was supposed to be.

Will that effect the flight? If so, how can I safely remove the fin to reglue it on?

If it's not visually too bad, just match the new angle with the remaining fin and don't say anything about it...:D

You can always increase the size of the lower pod fins about 5-10% to compensate, but unless those upper fins are so tilted inward that they nearly touch the top of the fuselage, you shouldn't be too bad off. Those fins are already slightly oversized, and those lower fins are not scale to begin with...

barone
12-19-2007, 07:49 PM

You are talking about the Estes SR-71 (https://www.discountrocketry.com/estes-sr71-blackbird-p-207.html)....or is it the Apogee SR-72 (http://www.apogeerockets.com/SR72_Darkbird_Kit.asp)?

(Still no epoxy ? :rolleyes: )

Rocket Doctor
12-20-2007, 05:23 AM
If it's the Estes version, contact Christine about it, hopefully, she will send another one to you. 1-800-525-7561 X 216

F_O_G
12-20-2007, 01:22 PM
If it's not visually too bad, just match the new angle with the remaining fin and don't say anything about it...

You can always increase the size of the lower pod fins about 5-10% to compensate, but unless those upper fins are so tilted inward that they nearly touch the top of the fuselage, you shouldn't be too bad off. Those fins are already slightly oversized, and those lower fins are not scale to begin with...

I've noticed that the rocket seems to be a bit off. The problem isn't really visible but if you put the template up to it you can tell.

You are talking about the Estes SR-71 (https://www.discountrocketry.com/es...207.html)....or is it the Apogee SR-72 (http://www.apogeerockets.com/SR72_Darkbird_Kit.asp)?

couldn't get either website.

(Still no epoxy ? )

No.

barone
12-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Okay...the end of the url tags were in the wrong place. The web sites should load now if you want to try again.

DaveR
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Okay...the end of the url tags were in the wrong place. The web sites should load now if you want to try again.
They still don't work. I'm thinking the parentheses are the problem.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/SR72_Darkbird_Kit.asp

https://www.discountrocketry.com/estes-sr71-blackbird-p-207.html

These should work.

barone
12-20-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't know...they're working for me :confused:

BatPlane
12-21-2007, 06:08 PM
I seem to be following FOG around all over the place. By a total conincidence, I've got an SR71 Blackbird kit that's been unbuilt in my attic for the last 15 years! I tore open the package, read the directions, lost a launch lug, lost a page of directions but it looks salvagable.

I am thinking about building it over the holidays (if everybody will let me, that is! :D )

Only...I'm missing a couple of pages of the plans. all 3 tubes are slightly crushed, too. "Ye Olde Rocket plans" doesn't seem to have EST1942 posted. Any help is welcome...I'll keep poking around.

If I'm not mistaken, I got the impression there are two versions. I think mine might be a bigger one.

Rocket Doctor
12-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Did you check the Estes web site www.estesrockets.com
Click on rockets
click on Education
Click on Instruction Manuals
There is a huge list of kit intructions, but, not in numerical order though.
Check to see if the Blackbird instructions are posted there.
If you weren't planning on building it over the holidays, you could contact the Estes customer Service Dept, they won't be back until Jan 2,2008 and ask Christine to send to you a copy of the instructions ,call 1-800-525-7562 X216

barone
12-21-2007, 08:04 PM
I seem to be following FOG around all over the place. By a total conincidence, I've got an SR71 Blackbird kit that's been unbuilt in my attic for the last 15 years! I tore open the package, read the directions, lost a launch lug, lost a page of directions but it looks salvagable.

I am thinking about building it over the holidays (if everybody will let me, that is! :D )

Only...I'm missing a couple of pages of the plans. all 3 tubes are slightly crushed, too. "Ye Olde Rocket plans" doesn't seem to have EST1942 posted. Any help is welcome...I'll keep poking around.

If I'm not mistaken, I got the impression there are two versions. I think mine might be a bigger one.
WHat pages do you need? I've got them scanned.

BatPlane
12-21-2007, 09:20 PM
WHat pages do you need? I've got them scanned.

All I've got are pages 5-8 so I need that other sheet (or other sheets) that are missing. Whatever you can send is appreciated, (if it's not too much trouble) thanks!

I'm really surprised they're not posted out there somewhere.

Rocket Doctor, thanks for the Estes contact info. & reply.

barone
12-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Here they are. Usually, you have to right click and download these. I've never been able to open them directly from the forum.

barone
12-22-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm really surprised they're not posted out there somewhere.

This kit is still in production. I believe there are copy right infringment issues that everyone wants to avoid.

Ltvscout
12-22-2007, 08:46 AM
This kit is still in production. I believe there are copy right infringment issues that everyone wants to avoid.
Correct. I don't post plans of current production models. Exceptions are things like plans of the original Big Bertha, etc. I have posted plans of old versions of current kits.

Don, I'll get back to you on that email you sent me. I have to search around to see what I have. My in-laws are in town now so I'm kind of tied up till the 26th.

barone
12-22-2007, 09:02 AM
.....Don, I'll get back to you on that email you sent me. I have to search around to see what I have. My in-laws are in town now so I'm kind of tied up till the 26th.
No problem. Heck, I didn't even know I had the kit until I went through some boxes looking for something else :o

Rocket Doctor
12-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Estes will be shut down until January 2,2008.
Contact Christine in customer service, she will send to you the instruction sheet, no problem.

Think of it this way, if you purchased a kit and the instructions were missing, how would you build it, they will provide the instructions sheet to you.
Call 1-800-525-7561 X 216 oOn or after Jan 2nd

BatPlane
12-24-2007, 10:22 AM
I got the instructions, thanks Barone. Oh, have no doubt...I do own the kit, or what's left of it after about 15 years in the attics after about 3 moves.

I was also thinking that this happens to be one of those kits that would be ridiculous to try to "clone". With all the paper parts and peculiar nosecone, I can't see how the instructions being out there would harm Estes. Not with this particular one, anyway.

I got 'em, thanks!