PDA

View Full Version : 1/100 Apollo 11 Capsule and tower

zrs4
12-24-2007, 12:09 AM
i was looking for the same thing that moldin oldies was selling as a better alternative to the ones supplied in the kits..

too bad they are closed up for now--i got a note back a while ago saying that there are no immediate plans to re open..

has anyone ever tried to use 1/96 scale parts from revell on that kit??? i suppose the 4/100's over would be way too big on everything ..

Mach1
01-19-2008, 01:16 PM
I have a 1/100 Sat5 that has been half-a$$ since 2001. Started but never finished. I could possibly be talked into selling it.

Rocketking
01-19-2008, 02:45 PM
I had reason to ask Christine in Estes' Customer Service Department whether I could get the capsule/Escape Tower to replace my own 'crunch' a while ago, and was told that complete parts kit IS available ($12-13 sticks in the head). It couldn't hurt to give her a call.

1-800-525-7561 x-216

Good Luck!

Rocket Doctor
01-19-2008, 05:04 PM
I had reason to ask Christine in Estes' Customer Service Department whether I could get the capsule/Escape Tower to replace my own 'crunch' a while ago, and was told that complete parts kit IS available ($12-13 sticks in the head). It couldn't hurt to give her a call.

1-800-525-7561 x-329

Good Luck!

Christine's extension is 216

dwmzmm
01-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I tried e-mailing Estes customer service before last summer about getting the 1/100
Apollo capsule/LES, since I needed just the launch escape motor to complete my K-36
kit. Never heard back from them. I instead went to Roachwerks (Gordon) to see if he could make one for me. Heard back from him almost instantly and he came through like a charm.
Even gave it to me for free, provided that I give him & his company credit when I do my
EMRR review on my K-36 Saturn - V build (in the Projects section of this website). Another
example of our modroc vendors pulling out the stops to help us. Thanks again, Gordon!!

sandman
01-19-2008, 10:44 PM
I tried e-mailing Estes customer service before last summer about getting the 1/100
Apollo capsule/LES, since I needed just the launch escape motor to complete my K-36
kit. Never heard back from them. I instead went to Roachwerks (Gordon) to see if he could make one for me. Heard back from him almost instantly and he came through like a charm.
Even gave it to me for free, provided that I give him & his company credit when I do my
EMRR review on my K-36 Saturn - V build (in the Projects section of this website). Another
example of our modroc vendors pulling out the stops to help us. Thanks again, Gordon!!

You are welcome! :D

zrs4
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
tried estes customer service and no dice--they just say its discontinued and no parts available

thanks for the info to try anyway

T

dwmzmm
01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
tried estes customer service and no dice--they just say its discontinued and no parts available

thanks for the info to try anyway

T

Then check with Roachwerks; Gordon might be able to turn the parts (capsule/LES motor
tube with skirt). You'll have to figure a way to do the tower assembly yourself. With some
imagination, you should be able to do it!!

tbzep
01-22-2008, 03:07 PM
You wouldn't have liked what she had to say even if Estes did have a few still in stock. They had some a couple years ago for $10 and $10 shipping. Yep, $20 for a tiny wad of plastic. I needed two, one for my Saturn V and one for my Saturn 1B. Christine was only willing to sell me one, even though I offered to send her proof that I had the kits and wasn't trying to resell anything for a profit. I was definitely not going to pay $40 for two separate orders of a tiny little bit of plastic. I decided not to give them any of my money at all. :mad:

zrs4
01-22-2008, 03:49 PM
yeah--no luck with them at all..

it just seemed like a good idea to make 2 command modules

for the kit--ive always done better at making the second anything..

and thats just a habit i have--even r/c planes etc--i always try to make

two if i like the kit..

looks like a lot of the same skills used in making the Atlas will go into this one..

im dusting off my rocket model building skills and find its going much better than it did in the

70's....!!! LOL

i found this Apollo 11 kit on ebay and it was still sealed and everything..very nice indeed..

zrs4
01-22-2008, 03:58 PM
i did find a heller 1/100 command module and lunar module kit--1 each--maybe that will help