PDA

View Full Version : Estes Mercury Redstone #1921

phatbob02
01-12-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm putting my Mercury Redstone kit on eBay because I see they're going for $40. I'm starting the ebay auction at $25. If a YORF member wins it, I'll give them free shipping to any of the lower 48 States.

barone
01-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm putting my Mercury Redstone kit on eBay because I see they're going for $40. I'm starting the ebay auction at $25. If a YORF member wins it, I'll give them free shipping to any of the lower 48 States.
Is this the one with plastic fins or balsa?

phatbob02
01-12-2008, 08:28 PM
It's the balsa fins with the molded capsule and escape tower.

Ltvscout
01-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Cool! I appreciate you making that offer to my members. Joe Warner (mojo1986) is also offering a discount for YORF members winning any of his auctions.

Ltvscout
01-12-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm putting my Mercury Redstone kit on eBay because I see they're going for $40. I'm starting the ebay auction at $25.
I remember when I got back into the hobby in '97 or '98 there was a store in town that had a whole back wall of OOP kits. That's how the old Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe auctions started. I paid for my habit by reselling the OOP kits I found at this store. Kurt Schachner knows what store I'm talking about. I haven't gone in there for a number of years because I'm afraid to see that all of the old stuff is gone. I like to remember how it used to be. ;) I bought a bunch of #1941 MR's from them back then for around $11-$13 or so if I remember correctly. They sold for a LOT more than that back then at auction. :D

For all of my old YORS auction members out there that are now members of YORF, I believe I still have most or all of the old "closed" auction pages from back in the day. I plan on putting those online for posterity sake one of these days.

Speaking of posterity, how many of you remember the great model-rockets.com website that Mike Maurer used to run? Well, I came home to see that Mike registered as a user here tonight. Welcome to YORF, Mike! Your old site is now only available via the Wayback Machine at archive.org. If you'd like, I can post any of the info you gathered back then on YORS to keep the history going.

Heh, sorry for hijacking your post, Bob. Maybe this will get you more hits on your auction! ;)

Ltvscout
01-12-2008, 11:48 PM
That's a #1941, balsa fins.

phatbob02
01-13-2008, 12:11 AM
That's a #1941, balsa fins.
Now you did it Scott. You made me open the bag. :)
Balsa Fins and #1921

Ltvscout
01-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Now you did it Scott. You made me open the bag. :)
Balsa Fins and #1921
Heh, I was off by a couple digits. You have to excuse me because when I was writing those replies last night I had just come home after celebrating the Packers win. I had some "antifreeze" in me, if ya know what I mean. ;)

kurtschachner
01-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I remember when I got back into the hobby in '97 or '98 there was a store in town that had a whole back wall of OOP kits. That's how the old Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe auctions started. I paid for my habit by reselling the OOP kits I found at this store. Kurt Schachner knows what store I'm talking about. I haven't gone in there for a number of years because I'm afraid to see that all of the old stuff is gone.

You're right, most of it is gone. I was in there just a week or two ago and FWIW I walked out empty handed.

Before Happy Hobby ran out of good kits (and before they started marking it up to silly prices) they had a lot of stuff too. There were Centuri kits on the wall plus a lot of OOP Estes items. The one out on Burleigh even had an Andromeda kit on the wall and quite a few other similar collectables. That's where I got my Shrike kit. You know the store - the one with the dog that was so "clean" ;)

Ltvscout
01-13-2008, 08:37 AM
You're right, most of it is gone. I was in there just a week or two ago and FWIW I walked out empty handed.
Oh, sure. Go and ruin my fond memories. ;)

Before Happy Hobby ran out of good kits (and before they started marking it up to silly prices) they had a lot of stuff too. There were Centuri kits on the wall plus a lot of OOP Estes items. The one out on Burleigh even had an Andromeda kit on the wall and quite a few other similar collectables. That's where I got my Shrike kit. You know the store - the one with the dog that was so "clean" ;)
Ya, by the time I got to the Happy Hobbies they were just starting to realize the value of the old kits. I got a couple there before prices went up a few months later. I did get my Starfire from there. I had Lee and Betty sign that one at NARCON 2006.

I'm surprised that the HH's are still in business. Their stores are so well organized. NOT!

DeanHFox
01-13-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm surprised that the HH's are still in business. Their stores are so well organized. NOT!Not to mention the risk of falling through the floor...the HH off Good Hope has a sagging floor, right where the rockets are. It's like walking in quicksand! :(

I keep wishing at least ONE of those boxes of "NCR by Estes" kits up on the shelves would turn out to be "overlooked by the price patrol" and still have its original price sticker on it. :) Shucks, I think eBay is cheaper! :(

PaulK
01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
You're right, most of it is gone. I was in there just a week or two ago and FWIW I walked out empty handed.I picked up an X-Wing and R2-D2 at the store-that-cannot-be-mentioned last year, that were marked down 50% off original retail. These were the 15th anniversary ones. I really didn't really need another R2-D2, but it was such a good deal, and sure is fun putting up on an E18. Also picked up a few packs of A8-0 motors they had left. Unfortunately, they didn't have any lead nose cone weights :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
A8-0 motors LAST YEAR ?????
I wish I had a hobby shop like that around me !
The A8-0 is one motor I'm sadly lacking and in need of for some low-altitiude multi-stage flights.

By the way, in case anyone did not know it the Estes 1921 Merc Redstone is basically just a re-kitted/repackaged Centuri Mercury Redstone.

Ltvscout
01-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Also picked up a few packs of A8-0 motors they had left. Unfortunately, they didn't have any lead nose cone weights :rolleyes:
Do they still have the pegboard boxes above the rockets on the back wall displaying all the Estes parts? They used to have Centuri ones like that, till Kurt and Bob Craddock cleaned 'em out! Back before manufacturers/rocket stores started having Estes sized tubes made for them I used to make a ton selling people original Estes BT-70 tubes I'd get out of there.

Ltvscout
01-14-2008, 06:46 PM
A8-0 motors LAST YEAR ?????
I wish I had a hobby shop like that around me !
The A8-0 is one motor I'm sadly lacking and in need of for some low-altitiude multi-stage flights.
Ya, that store had a lot of old motors. They had a ton of MRC motors for cheap as well. Paul or Kurt, did you notice if they still had those?

By the way, in case anyone did not know it the Estes 1921 Merc Redstone is basically just a re-kitted/repackaged Centuri Mercury Redstone.
You are correct, sir.

kurtschachner
01-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Do they still have the pegboard boxes above the rockets on the back wall displaying all the Estes parts? They used to have Centuri ones like that, till Kurt and Bob Craddock cleaned 'em out! Back before manufacturers/rocket stores started having Estes sized tubes made for them I used to make a ton selling people original Estes BT-70 tubes I'd get out of there.

The Centuri parts were (AFAIK) never on display, at least when I went in there the first time. Steve K. told me he had some parts so one night I asked. The owner paused for a second and said "yeah, I think I have some of those". He went downstairs and brought up two large boxes filled with Centuri parts. IIRC I bought them all for about $200 and then resold them to you-know-who. I even hand delivered them ;)

kurtschachner
01-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Ya, that store had a lot of old motors. They had a ton of MRC motors for cheap as well. Paul or Kurt, did you notice if they still had those?

Some, but not a lot. Paul probably got them all ;)

PaulK
01-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Some, but not a lot. Paul probably got them all ;)Don't know what you're talking about :rolleyes:

I honestly didn't notice any MRC motors, though I'm really only on the lookout these days for small boosters, as I have this unexplainable fascination with small two stagers recently. There isn't much interesting left on the estes pegboard, though it is kind of neat (nostalgic) to stare at it for a while.

Doug Sams
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
... though I'm really only on the lookout these days for small boosters, as I have this unexplainable fascination with small two stagers recently...Keep in mind that, while those are physically small motors you're placing in those small rockets, they're still A-impulse motors, so it'd be real easy to overpower your rocket and lose it.

Doug
Lover of stagers small and big