PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Rockets

Jerry Irvine
01-16-2008, 09:15 PM
I understand USR kits are not as available as they might be due to massive, repeated, thefts of the business (literally), but when do the OOP kits get a piece of the Y :confused: ORF kudos?

Start with Round Fin 10, F-Dart, and Push Pull at least.

Jerry

Solomoriah
01-16-2008, 09:49 PM
... what the heck are you talking about?

Rocketflyer
01-17-2008, 07:26 AM
I understand USR kits are not as available as they might be due to massive, repeated, thefts of the business (literally), but when do the OOP kits get a piece of the Y :confused: ORF kudos?

Jerry

Jerry, I have never had the opportunity to buy a US Rocket kit here on the East coast. The three you just mentioned sound intruiging. Maybe you could send in plan copies to YORF and we could see them, and clone them, if you give permission?

Ltvscout
01-17-2008, 08:09 AM

Jerry,

If you want to send me scans of plans, decals (if any), fin templates and parts lists (showing size of tubes, etc.) of any of your kits, I'll gladly post them on YORP for you. You can send them to scotth at execpc dot com.

Green Dragon
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
hmm, would love to see plans posted for USR kits - they should be acknowledged as some of the early PIONEERS in the organized HPR sport.

Not familiar with a roundfin 10, and the push pull sounds vaguely familiar ( will have to look back at old info ), but I _ DO _ recall the F dart was in early ( circa 1981 ? ) Claremont Rocket Society ads.

I have plans to a few, and some kits surviving, if Jerry gives permision to post, not sure what kits are considered OOP and what can still be found,etc.

One I always wanted to build was the STARFIRE 2 stage, ever since Jerry flew his at LDRS 5, and then seeing Bill ? ( last name escapes me ) candy red one at Octoberfest 90.

USR kits I have in my possesion:

- Aero-Roc ( modified with 7 x 18mm mounts )
- SWARM ( undergoing a partial rebuild after a nasty zipper )
- Mongrel ( 2.6" host mount ( TM )
- Sonic 2200
- Micro Interoc (unbuilt)

I had a USR Hi Test 2650 ( lost, LDRS 6 ), CCCV, WARP 2 (sold, see Nick Hills' EMRR review), and a Banshee (lost locally). might've been 1-2 others, but that's the basics.

Nice 'no-fluff' 'get-the-job-done' early kits. would love to build a few others someday ( so many builds, so little time and ca$h )

~ AL

tbzep
01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I thought USR was sold several years ago. Do the rights of the designs stay with J.I. or the new owner?

JAL3
05-04-2008, 11:44 PM
There have been several USR kits that I have wanted and have tried to order. I sent in the emails on several occasions over the last year and never heard anything back. I posted a question on TRF asking if USR was still in business and the consensus I heard there is maybe, maybe not.

There are still some USR kits I would like. Unfortunatly, even if the doors were wide open to me now, I would be unable to purchase them all. SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED has put her foot down about the number of deliveries I get around here. Still, there are quite a few on my wish list. Mostly though, I wish I could get a response.

tbzep
05-05-2008, 04:21 PM
There are still some USR kits I would like. Unfortunatly, even if the doors were wide open to me now, I would be unable to purchase them all. SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED has put her foot down about the number of deliveries I get around here. Still, there are quite a few on my wish list. Mostly though, I wish I could get a response.

Have them shipped to your work address. Sneak them in the house when she's not there. Swear that you've had them for months/years and just haven't gotten around to building them yet. Don't forget to get your own private checking account and CC for purchases and do all the transactions online so there won't be a paper trail for her to accidently run across. Oh....and take out a life insurance policy on yourself for the kids. Don't forget to update your last will and testiment to state that all your rocket goodies go to me. :D

ScaleNut
05-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Jerry,please send plans for the usr weightlofter

Mark II
05-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I have been very interested in purchasing some kits from US Rockets as well, but I keep getting put off because it it seems like the only time I ever hear any mention of the company, it is in reference to some problem with placing and receiving orders. Just what is the status of the company? They show plenty of cool stuff on their website, and at great prices, too. What are people's experiences with ordering from them?

Mark

ScaleNut
05-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I have been very interested in purchasing some kits from US Rockets as well, but I keep getting put off because it it seems like the only time I ever hear any mention of the company, it is in reference to some problem with placing and receiving orders. Just what is the status of the company? They show plenty of cool stuff on their website, and at great prices, too. What are people's experiences with ordering from them?

Mark

thats not possible, with his instaship program you don't pay till you recieve the rocket and bill , so I t's more likely that USR that didn't get paid in most cases.

I'd say the sources or those rumors are suspect .
unless the instaship page is back up people won't be able to order rockets anyway.

http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship.txt

lurker01
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Jerry

Are you saying that the new owner is stealing customer money and/or the old owner?

Or are you saying that because of clones, you are losing sales?!

Robert

Eagle3
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
I welcome members to search RMR archives for information on JI and USR. The history is out there. Read the posts and make your own judgment.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.models.rockets/search?hl=en&q=us+rockets&hl=en&

Shreadvector
05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
It's been a long time since I have randomly run into Jerry. Last few times I recall were at an ARCO gas station and a Carl's Jr. restaurant.

JAL3
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Have them shipped to your work address. Sneak them in the house when she's not there. Swear that you've had them for months/years and just haven't gotten around to building them yet. Don't forget to get your own private checking account and CC for purchases and do all the transactions online so there won't be a paper trail for her to accidently run across. Oh....and take out a life insurance policy on yourself for the kids. Don't forget to update your last will and testiment to state that all your rocket goodies go to me. :D

I actually tried some of this. The thing is, I am the pastor of a small country church and the mail goes to a PO box. I darling little old lady picks it up and brings it to the church. She has a bad habit of calling my wife and telling her, "tell Pastor John that another of those big packages came in" At that point, the paper trail is irrelevant and the only thing that saves me is that I can run faster than her. The insurance is in place. As to the will, it must be approved by SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED.

JAL

JRThro
05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Let's see... which of these have I done?

Yes - Have them shipped to your work address.
Yes - Sneak them in the house when she's not there.
No, but I probably would if she asked - Swear that you've had them for months/years and just haven't gotten around to building them yet.
No - Don't forget to get your own private checking account and CC for purchases and
Yes - do all the transactions online so there won't be a paper trail for her to accidently run across.
Yes - Oh....and take out a life insurance policy on yourself for the kids.
No - Don't forget to update your last will and testiment to state that all your rocket goodies go to me.

tbzep
05-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Let's see... which of these have I done?

No - Don't forget to update your last will and testiment to state that all your rocket goodies go to me.

That's the most important one! :rolleyes:

tbzep
05-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I actually tried some of this. The thing is, I am the pastor of a small country church and the mail goes to a PO box. I darling little old lady picks it up and brings it to the church. She has a bad habit of calling my wife and telling her, "tell Pastor John that another of those big packages came in" At that point, the paper trail is irrelevant and the only thing that saves me is that I can run faster than her. The insurance is in place. As to the will, it must be approved by SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED.

JAL

Looks like you're in a pickle. Your only other course of action is to find someone reasonably close that's into rocketry, or introduce a buddy into rocketry and have him do the ordering and receiving for you. ;)

You'd still have to deal with telling SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED that you've had those parts/kits for months. Your Other Boss might not like that part either. :eek:

MKP
05-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Makes me glad I swore off women years ago...

JAL3
05-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Looks like you're in a pickle. Your only other course of action is to find someone reasonably close that's into rocketry, or introduce a buddy into rocketry and have him do the ordering and receiving for you. ;)

You'd still have to deal with telling SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED that you've had those parts/kits for months. Your Other Boss might not like that part either. :eek:

Yeah. that's the big bummer.

Still, like I mentioned before. I run faster than her. :p

Mark II
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I welcome members to search RMR archives for information on JI and USR. The history is out there. Read the posts and make your own judgment.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.models.rockets/search?hl=en&q=us+rockets&hl=en&
Oh, man! And here I was thinking that Barry Tunick was the most controversial man in rocketry! :eek:

I am slowly slogging my way through the muck and mire that is r.m.r. but it is tough going to say the least. If I ever get the temptation to post there, would someone do me a big favor and just shoot me? Please? :mad: Now I can really appreciate the important role that you forum moderators have and the help that you provide.

Starting at the top, I have been working my way down the list of links that you provided, but so far I haven't found enough scraps of info to be able to put together a coherent story line. I realize that this isn't your fault, of course. I do appreciate the help in getting me up to speed that you provided. I know absolutely nothing about this period (the 1990's) in the history of model rocketry, though, so I am having a bit of trouble picking up on the references and getting the context. But I'll forge on.

Anyway, let me take a couple of deep breaths of fresh air before I dive back into the cesspool...

Mark

Royatl
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Oh, man! And here I was thinking that Barry Tunick was the most controversial man in rocketry! :eek:

I am slowly slogging my way through the muck and mire that is r.m.r. but it is tough going to say the least. If I ever get the temptation to post there, would someone do me a big favor and just shoot me? Please? :mad: Now I can really appreciate the important role that you forum moderators have and the help that you provide.

Starting at the top, I have been working my way down the list of links that you provided, but so far I haven't found enough scraps of info to be able to put together a coherent story line. I realize that this isn't your fault, of course. I do appreciate the help in getting me up to speed that you provided. I know absolutely nothing about this period (the 1990's) in the history of model rocketry, though, so I am having a bit of trouble picking up on the references and getting the context. But I'll forge on.

Anyway, let me take a couple of deep breaths of fresh air before I dive back into the cesspool...

Mark

The 90's were a hodge-podge of activity, but you could call it the decade of high power, with that part of the hobby maturing -- starting with little or no regulation and ending with the BATF lawsuit.

Estes was in new hands, and went through the decade in a constant state of flux. Aerotech started the decade out hitting the big time trying to become the Estes of large model rocketry. Apogee changed hands *and* emphasis from competition to education. FSI went out of business when the last of the principals died. MRC got out of the rocketry biz, and shortly thereafter, Quest started up. So did that "quiet guy in the corner," Custom Rockets.

There was nascent online communications, first through Compuserve, and individual bulletin board systems, then through the Usenet and r.m.r. Harry Stine held forth at the BIX system, because that's where Jerry Pournelle and all his Sci-Fi friends hung out.

The cottage industry was mostly in retail and/or high power.
Retail names like Countdown Hobbies, Discount Rocketry, and Magnum got established, while North Coast, LOC/Precision, Public Missiles, T.H.O.Y, Rocket R&D, California Aeronautics, Impulse Aerospace, and others provided kits, though mostly in high power.

Active payloads started with North Coast, and later Adept and others ushered in the era of high power avionics.

Tripoli grew from ~750 members to ~2000, while NAR started with ~5000 (mostly due to the post-Challenger Return To Space excitement), and settled in to a stable ~4300 (which has held for the Aughts, as well). The decade started with TRA and NAR not really speaking to each other, and with something called the 3/48 rule (model rocket and high power rocket activity had to be separated by 3 miles, or 48 hours). NAR didn't support rockets larger than G motors and 3.3 lbs, and Tripoli was sort of an outlaw organization (not that bad, but certainly when compared to the NAR). By 1992, however, they were working together.

Later addenum: Should also mention that the first commercial hybrids came along about 1994 from Hypertek (now part of Cesaroni) and Aerotech. And that cheaper radios with small servos allowed a number of radio controlled boost gliders to come out, starting with the Aerotech Phoenix.

Mark II
05-07-2008, 02:08 AM
The 90's were a hodge-podge of activity, but you could call it the decade of high power, with that part of the hobby maturing -- starting with little or no regulation and ending with the BATF lawsuit.
[...]

Thanks, Roy! Your summary really helps me to get a few issues into focus and to get a better perspective on things as I dogpaddle and snorkel ;) my way through the archives. :rolleyes: Man, I'm really going to need a shower when I finally get done there! :eek:

Mark

Eagle3
05-07-2008, 07:04 AM
I am slowly slogging my way through the muck and mire that is r.m.r. ....

My bad. I forgot the disclaimer in my previous post. FWIW rmr was a pretty good group for a few years. Once it became a toilet I stopped checking it out.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
My bad. I forgot the disclaimer in my previous post. FWIW rmr was a pretty good group for a few years. Once it became a toilet I stopped checking it out.

I think it was at the tail-end of being useful when I stumbled into it in 2001. I found out about QUARK through there and it was directly responsible for my first club launch, something that I found incredibly cool. I poked my nose in there occasionally, but I found the Old Rockets group at Yahoo to be more my speed and more to my interests. At one point I pulled up the archive of posts (Old Rockets) that happened before my time, printed them off, and took them back to my print area so I could read them while I kept an eye on the printer. As I recall, the stack of paper was a bit larger than I had anticipated. (About two inches thick. :o )

Mark II
05-08-2008, 02:33 AM
There is quite a bit of sludge running through the collection of threads on that one particular subject, for sure. But I have also seen a number of very good FAQs that were created for r.m.r., some of which look like they are still being maintained. We were all new at this thing called the Internet at one time, and until the advent of web forums, the Usenet and listservs were the places to go on the 'Net if you wanted to dialogue with people who shared your interests. I didn't spend much time with Usenet groups, but I did subscribe to several listservs at one time (for things other than rocketry), including some that were related to my profession, and they all become useless wastes of time after awhile. Moderated Web-based forums like YORF and TRF are a vast improvement. I never visited and joined any web forums until I got back into rocketry, and I have had nothing but good experiences on both of these forum sites. Like I said before, dedicated and involved moderators really make a difference.

Sorry - I know that this post and my past few posts on this thread have been very OT. :o I didn't mean to hijack the thread, and I apologize to anyone who came here looking for a discussion about US Rockets. I'll return to talking about USR in all of my future posts on this thread.

Mark

tbzep
05-08-2008, 07:32 AM
J. I., John H. Cato Jr., Registered Architect, and Bob Kaplow probably have the top post numbers of all time in there, not counting spammers. Cato came all the way up from Georgia to one of our launches in Manchester just to gather intel to bash TRA on r.m.r. He never got out of his truck...didn't fly a thing....didn't talk to anybody. :rolleyes:

Nuke Rocketeer
05-08-2008, 08:55 AM
J. I., John H. Cato Jr., Registered Architect, and Bob Kaplow probably have the top post numbers of all time in there, not counting spammers. Cato came all the way up from Georgia to one of our launches in Manchester just to gather intel to bash TRA on r.m.r. He never got out of his truck...didn't fly a thing....didn't talk to anybody. :rolleyes:

That one spammer, Brad Guth, polluted not only r.m.r., but all of the space exploration threads too. That guy is seriously in need of a life.....

Royatl
05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Need to get this back on topic!

I was wondering how Teri Garr had been, since she had a brain aneurysm about 15 months ago.

Here's a picture of her from a month or so ago: http://www.tmz.com/2008/04/02/hey-toots/

Looks like she's doing ok. Also looks like she's probably standing.

Shreadvector
05-08-2008, 10:16 AM

I was wondering how Teri Garr had been, since she had a brain aneurysm about 15 months ago.

Here's a picture of her from a month or so ago: http://www.tmz.com/2008/04/02/hey-toots/

Where's that quote from Al Bundy when he sees a current (as opposed to 1960's) Diana Rigg on TV?

Royatl
05-08-2008, 10:36 AM

CRAP! (in a nice way of course) I thought I was getting the Teri Garr thread back on topic, and it turns out I was getting the Irvine thread even more OFF topic....

....though maybe that is how it should be!

tbzep
05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
....though maybe that is how it should be!

That should be in the FAQ. :rolleyes: :D

Royatl
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
That should be in the FAQ. :rolleyes: :D

Where is Wolfram when you need him??

Shreadvector
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM

If I was a member of DNA (The National Association of Dyslexics) I would respond that you must wait for the next full moon.;)

kurtschachner
05-08-2008, 12:40 PM

Now there's a blast from the rmr past. I did a search for him but everything I saw was at least 3-4 years old (most a lot older). Anyone know what happened to Mr. von Kiparski?

Royatl
05-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Now there's a blast from the rmr past. I did a search for him but everything I saw was at least 3-4 years old (most a lot older). Anyone know what happened to Mr. von Kiparski?

I believe we had to fish him up to give us the keys to the ContestRoc Yahoo group a few months ago, though he didn't hang around to talk.

Dalewindsor
05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Getting back to the topic of US Rockets and why they aren't talked about as much as other OOP kits...

I've built a bunch of Jerry's kits (planning on bringing my Swarm, Swarm Jr and a Bigger Bertha to NSL) but I've never had the same nostalgic feelings toward those kits as I do for Estes or Centuri kits.

I can think of several reasons:
1. I was an adult when I discovered US Rockets (I don't have any special feelings toward LOC either, though I do for pre-Estes NCR)
2. I never drooled over the new US Rockets catalog (never seen one)
3. Most of the kits are pretty much basic - no special decals, no sci-fi back story, no fancy or special parts.
4. Same with website - black and white line drawings instead of color photos and launch shots don't really ignite the imagination
5. Who knows what's OOP and what's not. What is the status of US Rockets?

Jerry did a real good job of ticking off the hobby rocketry establishment at the time, but was a prime figure in the early years of HPR. We always need characters that standout.

Mark II
05-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Getting back to the topic of US Rockets and why they aren't talked about as much as other OOP kits...

I've built a bunch of Jerry's kits (planning on bringing my Swarm, Swarm Jr and a Bigger Bertha to NSL) but I've never had the same nostalgic feelings toward those kits as I do for Estes or Centuri kits.

I can think of several reasons:
1. I was an adult when I discovered US Rockets (I don't have any special feelings toward LOC either, though I do for pre-Estes NCR)
2. I never drooled over the new US Rockets catalog (never seen one)
3. Most of the kits are pretty much basic - no special decals, no sci-fi back story, no fancy or special parts.
4. Same with website - black and white line drawings instead of color photos and launch shots don't really ignite the imagination
I have the opposite reaction to the web site. The simplicity of the model drawings, and the brief, blunt and occasionally sassy model descriptions actually spur my imagination. I don't think that I would have much cared for the approach if I had seen it when I was much younger. But as an (allegedly) mature adult, and a BAR, it works for me. The lack of detail is sometimes maddening, though. As is the somewhat opaque and confusing ordering procedure.

5. Who knows what's OOP and what's not. What is the status of US Rockets?
Exactly what I am trying to find out. I suppose that I could just try contacting them, though.

Jerry did a real good job of ticking off the hobby rocketry establishment at the time, but was a prime figure in the early years of HPR. We always need characters that standout.
Yes. I am trying to sift through the evidence in order to arrive at an honest, factual and unbiased picture of his place in the history of our hobby.

Mark

JAL3
05-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I have the opposite reaction to the web site. The simplicity of the model drawings, and the brief, blunt and occasionally sassy model descriptions actually spur my imagination. I don't think that I would have much cared for the approach if I had seen it when I was much younger. But as an (allegedly) mature adult, and a BAR, it works for me. The lack of detail is sometimes maddening, though. As is the somewhat opaque and confusing ordering procedure.

Exactly what I am trying to find out. I suppose that I could just try contacting them, though.

Yes. I am trying to sift through the evidence in order to arrive at an honest, factual and unbiased picture of his place in the history of our hobby.

Mark

If you manage to place an order AND if you actually get it, I would like to find out your secret. I have tried the email route several times for a year and have nothing to show for it except an unrequited desire for some of the merchandise. The closest I ever got was an email saying they were on vacation and would contact me upon return. I'm still waiting and have sent well over a dozen emails since then. I gave up.

There are still a lot of things on the website that I would like to order. I somehow doubt I will ever have a chance.

Mark II
05-08-2008, 11:03 PM
If you manage to place an order AND if you actually get it, I would like to find out your secret. I have tried the email route several times for a year and have nothing to show for it except an unrequited desire for some of the merchandise. The closest I ever got was an email saying they were on vacation and would contact me upon return. I'm still waiting and have sent well over a dozen emails since then. I gave up.

There are still a lot of things on the website that I would like to order. I somehow doubt I will ever have a chance.
It kind of sounds like USR is no longer in business, then?

Mark

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Mark

This should be on your reading list as well. There are some cool designs here, some utter crap, and some stuff that you'll just have to read for yourself.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/arcbuild/arcbuild.cgi?ven034&&MfgList

JAL3
05-08-2008, 11:19 PM
It kind of sounds like USR is no longer in business, then?

Mark

I really don't know. A lot of the evidence says no, they are no longer in operation. Every now and then, though, I hear something that indicates they are, like getting an email saying they will fill my order when they get back from vacation.

I posted a question asking is USR still in business over on TRF and got a bewildering variety of answers which basically boiled down to: "They are if they feel like, otherwise not, but that could change." I was also advised NEVER to send them $$ until I had a rocket kit in my hands.

I dunno.

JAL3
05-08-2008, 11:21 PM
FWIW, the USRs I REALLY want are the Swarm, Tall Tale and......THE HUGE SENTRA (12" if I remember).

Oh well, at least my wife is happy.

Mark II
05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
This should be on your reading list as well. There are some cool designs here, some utter crap, and some stuff that you'll just have to read for yourself.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/arcbuild/arcbuild.cgi?ven034&&MfgList
I know; I've read most of those reviews in the past couple of years. After going through the list, you almost get the impression that those kits actually exist.

Mark

Mark II
05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I really don't know. A lot of the evidence says no, they are no longer in operation. Every now and then, though, I hear something that indicates they are, like getting an email saying they will fill my order when they get back from vacation.

I posted a question asking is USR still in business over on TRF and got a bewildering variety of answers which basically boiled down to: "They are if they feel like, otherwise not, but that could change." I was also advised NEVER to send them $$ until I had a rocket kit in my hands.

I dunno.
A great way to do business, eh? :rolleyes:

Mark

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I know; I've read most of those reviews in the past couple of years. After going through the list, you almost get the impression that those kits actually exist.

Mark

Did you look at the dates of the reviews?

JAL3
05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
A great way to do business, eh? :rolleyes:

Mark

It stinks and I am reluctant to send them any money. That still leaves teh pent up "consumer desire" that will have to find an outlet somewhere else...unless my wife catches me first.

Mark II
05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
It stinks and I am reluctant to send them any money. That still leaves teh pent up "consumer desire" that will have to find an outlet somewhere else...unless my wife catches me first.
Well, me too! We can study the drawings and the descriptions, and then try to clone them. That might be the only option now.

Mark

JAL3
05-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Well, me too! We can study the drawings and the descriptions, and then try to clone them. That might be the only option now.

Mark

I've thought about that but lack sufficient confidence in my skills as they are at present...still, a swarm would be really cool.

snaquin
05-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Mark

Bill noted the reviews and RockSim files for several USR kits on EMRR. There is also a file on the USR kits page with many USR RockSim kit files that would allow you to print fin templates and a parts list for a basic bill of materials. I checked the RockSim file for the USR Fire & Forget rocket that I had and it seemed to print correct patterns.

http://v-serv.com/usr/

http://v-serv.com/usr/images/U.S.RocketsKitsRocsim.zip

I've thought about that but lack sufficient confidence in my skills as they are at
present...still, a swarm would be really cool.

Swarm and Swarm Jr. files were included in the .zip file on USR's site also ..... :)

Many of the USR kit files are there, although not all of them. I didn't see Sentra or Tall Tail.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Wasn't the whole purpose of this thread from the start getting the OOP US Rocket product plans up on the site for cloning? Wasn't it Jerry who made the suggestion to begin with? Did he come through, Scott? Any plans waiting in the wings?

Ltvscout
05-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Wasn't the whole purpose of this thread from the start getting the OOP US Rocket product plans up on the site for cloning? Wasn't it Jerry who made the suggestion to begin with? Did he come through, Scott? Any plans waiting in the wings?
I've not received anything from Jerry. I'd be more than willing to put USR plans up on YORP if he sends them to me.

tbzep
05-10-2008, 12:52 PM

Jerry sold the U.S. Rockets company several years ago...sometime in the late 1990's, IIRC. I don't know if he still has the rights to the designs, so it's possible he couldn't legally help even if he wanted to.

I don't know why he still acts like he owns the company, unless he's bought it back. Either way, nothing ever gets shipped anymore from what I've been reading.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I've not received anything from Jerry. I'd be more than willing to put USR plans up on YORP if he sends them to me.

:eek: Yeah, I'm shocked. USR in a nutshell. Lotsa talk, followed by months of nothing.

Dalewindsor
05-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Most of the kits would be pretty easy to clone. The six inch kits are the hardest since you'd need to find some really heavy, crude carpet tubes :)
almost like the ones that Sherri puts in here big kits ;)

The Swarm and the Bigger Bertha both have fiberglass nose cones. I don't know who was making those, but the rest is standard Estes or LOC tubing. The Swarm has a center motor tube big enough to hold a cluster of 29mm motors surrounded by 12 - 29mm tubes.

I'm in the process of rejuvenating several USR models right now, shouldn't be a problem to trace some fin patterns and measure some tube lengths. (Joy, another project to work on :eek: )

Mark II
05-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Did you look at the dates of the reviews?
Yes; a couple of them are several years old, but the majority were from 2005. I wonder why there were so many from just that one year? BRS Hobbies carried USR kits for awhile, so maybe all the reviews coincided with the period when the kits were available from that vendor. There is one more review in 2006, and there is also a review of the Rear Ejection from just last September. By all appearances then, US Rockets was viable as recently as three years ago, but John's recent experience with them is troubling. I haven't gotten off my butt and tried to contact the company myself yet; that is still obviously the first avenue I need to pursue, to see if I can get any more of a response than John has gotten.

Mark

Mark II
05-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Most of the kits would be pretty easy to clone. The six inch kits are the hardest since you'd need to find some really heavy, crude carpet tubes :)

The Swarm and the Bigger Bertha both have fiberglass nose cones. I don't know who was making those, but the rest is standard Estes or LOC tubing. The Swarm has a center motor tube big enough to hold a cluster of 29mm motors surrounded by 12 - 29mm tubes.

I'm in the process of rejuvenating several USR models right now, shouldn't be a problem to trace some fin patterns and measure some tube lengths. (Joy, another project to work on :eek: )
Well, when I mentioned cloning the kits, I didn't mean getting down to that level of replication. :rolleyes: The USR website does mention that they are (or were) using parts from LOC now, so I would think that you could source your components from that company for any cloning projects. I haven't looked at the designs in detail yet, with an eye toward cloning them, but would LOC, PML, Giant Leap, Semroc or other companies stock nose cones that are either identical or at least a close match to the ones that USR uses (or did use)? Plus, aren't some of the USR nose cones made from body tubes anyway? :p

On the other hand, how important would it be to exactly match the rockets, right down to obtaining identical nose cones? Wouldn't it be possible to build some very nice rockets that are "in the style of" some USR designs?

Mark

grog
05-10-2008, 05:09 PM
I have an unopened U.S. Rockets Weightlofter that I haven't gotten around to building. If anybody is interested in purchasing this kit, send me a PM. Thanks.

JAL3
05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Bill noted the reviews and RockSim files for several USR kits on EMRR. There is also a file on the USR kits page with many USR RockSim kit files that would allow you to print fin templates and a parts list for a basic bill of materials. I checked the RockSim file for the USR Fire & Forget rocket that I had and it seemed to print correct patterns.

http://v-serv.com/usr/images/U.S.RocketsKitsRocsim.zip

Swarm and Swarm Jr. files were included in the .zip file on USR's site also ..... :)

Many of the USR kit files are there, although not all of them. I didn't see Sentra or Tall Tail.

That could be helpful. Thanks.

Mark II
05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Well, there's always PVC...;) You would obviously need to build those for high power, though. But hey, when you are building high power on that scale, who worries about weight? :D

Mark (yeah, but I don't even have my Level 1 yet...)

Mark II
05-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Bill noted the reviews and RockSim files for several USR kits on EMRR.
[...]

EMRR does have a RockSim file for the Tall Tail.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/usr_tall_tail_10.shtml

http://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim/usr_tall_tail_10_stock.rkt

Mark

ADDENDUM: I just took a look at that file, and cloning it looks very doable! Semroc LT-225 can be used for the 2.25" dia. tubes. Thanks, Dale! With all of our hand-wringing over how to either obtain or clone USR kits, I totally forgot about the RockSim files!

ScaleNut
05-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Also,you can find rocksims for most of the kits on the usr site, about midway down in a zip file.

SEL
05-10-2008, 06:47 PM

Steve -

Good to see you're back with us and feeling well enough to start posting again.

Seems to me that I might be the owner that F & F kit you had :) . I'd be happy to scan the instructions and fins for posting if Jerry doesn't mind.

My first mid -power rocket was a USR Interoc. Nice kit -decent heavy duty tubes, well made nose cone and 2 or three interchangable motor mounts. I don't think I have the plans or patterns for that one anymore, tho the 3x24mm mount is kicking around here somewhere.
I lost it on an FSI F100.

Sean

snaquin
05-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Steve -

Good to see you're back with us and feeling well enough to start posting again.

Seems to me that I might be the owner that F & F kit you had :) . I'd be happy to scan the instructions and fins for posting if Jerry doesn't mind.

My first mid -power rocket was a USR Interoc. Nice kit -decent heavy duty tubes, well made nose cone and 2 or three interchangable motor mounts. I don't think I have the plans or patterns for that one anymore, tho the 3x24mm mount is kicking around here somewhere.
I lost it on an FSI F100.

Sean

Sean

Thanks, yes feeling much better as this weekend would seem to be the turning point for the better .....

Yes, that was the still sealed F & F kit that I had. I have a parts set for another mixed in with my Semroc parts somewhere in my mess.

I had a few USR kits and remember there were quite a few flown at the first LDRS I attended in 88. Not as commonplace as LOC at the time but quite a few at HPR launches about that time and I remember they had USR ads in many of the old Tripolitan magazines and that's how I found out about them and bought a couple of kits.

I also had the Hi-Test 2225 which was Jerry's version of a two staged EnerJet 2250. I always wanted to order the Hi-Test 2650 & 2650b booster from him to clone the EnerJet 2650 but never did. Some of his ads used to feature the Hi-Test 2650 and getting FSI F100's to cluster/stage in that kit was not a problem at that time but I just never got around to purchasing the kit and wished I had. Years later I just scratch built my uprated EnerJet 2650 with booster from the plan set AAA Model Aviation Fuels used to sell through the mail order.

lurker01
05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I wonder if many know of or remember that there was a U.S. Rockets in existance before Jerry's U.S. Rockets. Jerry even copied the original U.S. Rockets logo.

I think a complete BOOK could be writen about Jerry and U.S. Rockets from beginning to the end...

Robert

Mark II
05-11-2008, 07:01 PM
I wonder if many know of or remember that there was a U.S. Rockets in existance before Jerry's U.S. Rockets. Jerry even copied the original U.S. Rockets logo.

I think a complete BOOK could be writen about Jerry and U.S. Rockets from beginning to the end...

Robert
No, I absolutely did not know that. Did JI buy them out, or purchase the aasets and name from the earlier company, or...? Were any of the older company's kits carried over by the new USR?

Mark

Shreadvector
05-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Let's see what I have...

lurker01
05-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Let's see what I have...

Fred,

Thanks for sharing. Those pictures are of the Original U.S. Rockets model rocketry outfit that was offered in the late 1960s.

The company who sold those is still based in China and are now a 5th generation fireworks company. They are located in South East China IIRC. They were selling fireworks back in the early 20th Century, and still do to this day.

The rocket is the red/white/blue object you see towards the upper part of the photo. The set was RTF, with the chute pre-assembled and the rocket ready to fly (plastic and wood).

The ignition was electrical, with the batteries stored under the pad. I think 4 'C' batteries.

I never saw a magazine or catalog ad for this, but I did see them at firework stands :eek:

I tried sending a letter to the manufacture for more information, but I never did get a reply... could be a language thing.

Fred: How do you just, "Run into Jerry"? Does he say hi with a smile?

I am not sure what I would do if I ran into Jerry ... Do you think Jerry will attend the old rocketeers' reunion?

Robert

Shreadvector
05-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Yes, he says "Hi" with a smile.

IIRC he was at both locations when I arrived. In front of me at ARCO and already sitting and eating at the Carl's Jr when I went to grab a seat nearby. He saw me before I saw him and he said hello.

You run into people all over the place. I have not seen him at a Costco, but I've seen coworkers 45 miles away at a Costco, a Lowes, etc.

The odds of running into him are much better than winning the lottery.

Rocketflyer
05-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Fred,

Thanks for sharing. Those pictures are of the Original U.S. Rockets model rocketry outfit that was offered in the late 1960s.

Ditto, Fred, Thanks

I am not sure what I would do if I ran into Jerry .... Do you think Jerry will attend the old rocketeers' reunion?

Robert

Don't know Jerry from Adam, but know of his reputation (?).

Now THAT would be worth the price of admission!

Ez2cDave
05-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Dale,

When you get a chance, would it be possible to get some PICS and dimensions off of your SWARM & SWARM JR ?

I want to do a couple of clones and some up-scaling / down-scaling.

Thanks !

Dave F.

ghrocketman
05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure I have seen Dale on this site in the last 2-3 YEARS !

gdjsky01
05-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Swarm Jr.

Ez2cDave
05-07-2011, 03:18 PM

I was hoping he was still active . . .

Thanks !

Ltvscout
05-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Dale still regularly checks in here. Was last here on 5-6-11 as a matter of fact. ;) He has a second account which he's been using, lawndart.

Ez2cDave
05-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Dale still regularly checks in here. Was last here on 5-6-11 as a matter of fact. ;) He has a second account which he's been using, lawndart.

Thanks for that info . . . I'll try to get in touch with him !