PDA

View Full Version : Need CR1016 centering rings for Quasar clone

Vanel
07-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Anybody know where I can get them or have a suggestion? They aren't in the Semroc online catalog, and I have sent an email to Carl asking if he has any.

My thanks to Mike at Moldin Oldies for the nose cone and the ramjet pod parts :)

CPMcGraw
07-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Anybody know where I can get them or have a suggestion? They aren't in the Semroc online catalog, and I have sent an email to Carl asking if he has any.

One suggestion, besides Carl whipping out a few with his Krellvenator...

Get the CR-916 rings. Slip a #9 tube through the hole, then ink up the end of a #10 tube. Slide the #10 tube down over the #9 tube until you make contact with the ring. Make sure you leave a good circle. Remove the excess.

If these rings are the flat paper kind, then use a hole punch as a nibbler tool, or some 60-grit paper wrapped around a #7 tube. If the rings are the thick, rolled kind, use 60-grit paper, or a motor tool and a grinding stone, to grind away the excess.

Not elegant, but functional...

Craig McGraw

Vanel
07-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Craig,

I attempted to follow your most excellent suggestion - took my last 2 CR-916 rings, slid a ST-10 tube over an ST-9, and used that to make the rings. Everything was fine so far. I then took a spent D engine casing, wrapped it in 240 grit sandpaper, and used this to widen the opening. Again everything went well till the phone rang, and I set the rings down. Came back to discover that the rings had fallen off my work table into a pan of cleaning solution I had just used to clean up a spill. :confused:

Rings warped and crinkled when they dried :(

I think I will place a custom ring order to BMS, as I seem to have no skill or luck producing my own custom parts. Rocket geek I am - craftsman, I am not. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, the loss of the CR916 rings gives me an excuse to place my next Semroc order earlier than planned :D

CPMcGraw
07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Craig,

I attempted to follow your most excellent suggestion - took my last 2 CR-916 rings, slid a ST-10 tube over an ST-9, and used that to make the rings. Everything was fine so far. I then took a spent D engine casing, wrapped it in 240 grit sandpaper, and used this to widen the opening. Again everything went well till the phone rang, and I set the rings down. Came back to discover that the rings had fallen off my work table into a pan of cleaning solution I had just used to clean up a spill. :confused:

Rings warped and crinkled when they dried :(

I think I will place a custom ring order to BMS, as I seem to have no skill or luck producing my own custom parts. Rocket geek I am - craftsman, I am not. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, the loss of the CR916 rings gives me an excuse to place my next Semroc order earlier than planned :D

Ouch!

Moral of the story -- Buy yourself a phone with a good answering machine! :D Centering Rings are far more important than any telemarketer's sales pitch. And if it were someone really important, they'd leave a number or you'd already know it, and you could call them back when you've finished what you're doing.

We used to get a dozen TMs a day here, still get one or two a day from the same obnoxious group. Our answering machine allows us to weed out those calls and only answer those we want to. Worth its weight in balsa nose cones when you're otherwise occupied... :rolleyes:

Office Max sells a poster board that is similar to the material Carl uses for his rings and rocket racks. I bought a sheet earlier this year, and use it to make my own rings when I don't feel like placing a special order for something. It's time-consuming and tedious, but when I'm in a hurry to get the construction finished, it works well enough. I print out some rings on cardstock and glue these to the poster board first, then just trim around and inside the lines. Not perfect, not pretty, but close enough; and the edges are hidden by the glue anyway... ;)

Craig

Carl@Semroc
07-14-2005, 12:37 AM
They aren't in the Semroc online catalog, and I have sent an email to Carl asking if he has any.
Sorry for the long delay, Bill. We have CR-1016 rings. It is hard to keep the web site up-to-date. We have been trying to finish several new kits in time for NARAM.

We will ship the rings tomorrow along with two Quasar fin sets.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Sorry for the long delay, Bill. We have CR-1016 rings. It is hard to keep the web site up-to-date. We have been trying to finish several new kits in time for NARAM.

Any hints? ;)

Vanel
07-14-2005, 08:02 AM

New kits? :D

I have been watching the Semroc site daily, as I figured you might release a new kit or two in time for NARAM. Judging from what I see, I figure one may be the Texas Firefly, which figures prominently as coming soon. It's also kinda interesting that there are 4 Multi-stage rockets indicated after choosing the "All categories" link, but clicking there shows only one. A similar situation exists for scale.

I echo Bill's question - any hints as to the number or names of the delightful goodies you are are about to unleash upon us?

Thank you very much for the rings and the fins. Semroc goes to great lengths to help out rocketeers, and it is greatly appreciated. Very few folks like you.

Vanel
07-20-2005, 08:20 AM

Carl,

Received the rings - and the fins - yesterday. Mucho, mucho thanks!

I'll start the Quasar build later this week. Man, I love building replicas of these old kits :D