PDA

View Full Version : Pico Alt P-1 Recommendation/Experiences

moonzero2
02-04-2008, 07:21 AM
I am seriously considering purchasing a Pico P-1 Alt.
I'm looking for positive and/or negative feedfack from anyone who has one, of knows of someone who has one.

I really like it's small size.
I am looking at using it in my Low Power Rockets too.
And right now just reporting peak altitude is fine.
I really like the light weight and small size as it's advantages.
Is it reliable?
How well does it work?
Should I get one, or not?

Rocketflyer
02-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I am seriously considering purchasing a Pico P-1 Alt.
I'm looking for positive and/or negative feedfack from anyone who has one, of knows of someone who has one.

I really like it's small size.
I am looking at using it in my Low Power Rockets too.
And right now just reporting peak altitude is fine.
I really like the light weight and small size as it's advantages.
Is it reliable?
How well does it work?
Should I get one, or not?

I really like mine for LPR and mid power. It's nice to get a reading on the altitude of your birds. I've had mine for about three years now, and it works every time, flashing out the alt. :)

moonzero2
02-07-2008, 05:59 AM
I really like mine for LPR and mid power. It's nice to get a reading on the altitude of your birds. I've had mine for about three years now, and it works every time, flashing out the alt. :)

Thank-you for your feedback. I take it from all the responses I received there are not a lot of these units out there.

I'm going to order one as I really like the light weight and small size and I can put one in my Estes Sprint, by removing the nose cone weights, and this unit will not affect the flight characteristics by adding a bunch of weight.

tbzep
02-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Thank-you for your feedback. I take it from all the responses I received there are not a lot of these units out there.

I'm going to order one as I really like the light weight and small size and I can put one in my Estes Sprint, by removing the nose cone weights, and this unit will not affect the flight characteristics by adding a bunch of weight.

It's sort of a niche unit. Most of the altimeters get flown in HPR where size doesn't matter, so the little Pico just hasn't caught on yet. The LPR community hasn't really had a small enough unit widely available until the Pico, so it just hasn't caught on to even think about altimeters for the majority of LPR fliers. Have you posted this over at TRF where there's a much larger membership?

moonzero2
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
It's sort of a niche unit. Most of the altimeters get flown in HPR where size doesn't matter, so the little Pico just hasn't caught on yet. The LPR community hasn't really had a small enough unit widely available until the Pico, so it just hasn't caught on to even think about altimeters for the majority of LPR fliers. Have you posted this over at TRF where there's a much larger membership?

Thanks Man! That explains it. Yes, I did post this on TRF too, only one response there and it was very positive, and the one here from Rocketflyer is very positive too. No negative responses,... so I'm getting me one. Thank-you! Maybe this Summer/Fall when I have a lot of flight experience with the Pico P-1, I'll start a new thread telling all with my experiences to help get the word out. Thanks again.

tbzep
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks Man! That explains it. Yes, I did post this on TRF too, only one response there and it was very positive, and the one here from Rocketflyer is very positive too. No negative responses,... so I'm getting me one. Thank-you! Maybe this Summer/Fall when I have a lot of flight experience with the Pico P-1, I'll start a new thread telling all with my experiences to help get the word out. Thanks again.

I'm looking forward to reading it. If you have rocsim or can get somebody here to run some sims for you, you can compare predicted altitude with it. :)

moonzero2
02-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm looking forward to reading it. If you have rocsim or can get somebody here to run some sims for you, you can compare predicted altitude with it. :)

Yup, I have RocSim. Will definately compare the two.