PDA

View Full Version : Estes S.W.A.T.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-04-2008, 08:38 PM
This kinda came up in another thread tonight. I dragged out my S.W.A.T. and it got me thinking about what Estes could POSSIBLY have been thinking with this kit. The paint scheme and decals are just flat out strange, and worst of all, the recommended engines are C6-3 and C6-5. Granted, this isn't a huge bird by any stretch, but I'd think it at least called for a D. Anyone ever build one? Fly one? Turn one into a clustered Satellite Interceptor? ;)

DaveR
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
This kinda came up in another thread tonight. I dragged out my S.W.A.T. and it got me thinking about what Estes could POSSIBLY have been thinking with this kit. The paint scheme and decals are just flat out strange, and worst of all, the recommended engines are C6-3 and C6-5. Granted, this isn't a huge bird by any stretch, but I'd think it at least called for a D. Anyone ever build one? Fly one? Turn one into a clustered Satellite Interceptor? ;)
Not one to waste any time, huh?? :D

Initiator001
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I believe it was originally a Centuri kit called "Skymaster" or "Spacemaster" and was designed to use the C5-3 "Super C" motor.

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Not one to waste any time, huh?? :D

Are you kidding? I wasted a whole fall and winter. My wood glue dried up since the last time I built something. It's like being a virgin again. :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-04-2008, 09:19 PM
I believe it was originally a Centuri kit called "Skymaster" or "Spacemaster" and was designed to use the C5-3 "Super C" motor.

Bob

I actually considered doing this cluster project as a Spacemaster, but having a set of decals custom made for what has to be one of the ugliest birds ever kitted kind of killed the idea. The S.W.A.T. was ugly. The Spacemaster was FUGLY!

jay
02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
I really like the S.W.A.T.! Never built one, but want to do a clone real soon. I just think she needs a different paint job, the camo does make her look kinda ugly.

Leo
02-05-2008, 04:35 AM
I just opened a S.W.A.T. kit 2 weeks ago. If you need any infos or scans just let me .

Shreadvector
02-05-2008, 07:22 AM
http://www.dars.org/jimz/gallery.htm

Use 'edit/find(on this page)' and search for "swat" and behold many, many launch photos.

barone
02-05-2008, 07:23 AM
I actually considered doing this cluster project as a Spacemaster, but having a set of decals custom made for what has to be one of the ugliest birds ever kitted kind of killed the idea. The S.W.A.T. was ugly. The Spacemaster was FUGLY!
Looks like Bill just went Goony.... ;)

ghrocketman
02-05-2008, 09:41 AM
The Centuri Spacemaster was the exact same size as the Estes Satellite Interceptor; they are the SAME kit with different decor/paint/decals.
If Centuri/Estes were not owned by the same parent, I'm sure Centuri would have been accused of producing a "ripoff" Sat. Int.
The same thing went on with the Boeing ALCM Cruise Missile kit, except the Centuri version was first in this case.

The S.W.A.T. was a "Jumbo" version of the Satellite Interceptor/Spacemaster with a HIDEOUS paint scheme.

Gotta agree on the underpowered idea for the S.W.A.T.; this thing is begging for an interchangeable 3x18mm and single 24mm engine mounting system.
Than again, some like to only fly to 300'-400' which is what this would go to on a single C.

EchoVictor
02-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Don't forget that the SpaceMaster had the PNC-50SP cockpit cone from the Argosy/Skytracer/etc... in substitution for the Satellite Interceptor's standard cone.

Later,
EV

ghrocketman
02-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Yep, forgot that about the cone EV.
That was the only change other than the decals.
Incidentally, that cone was used for the "Soaring Eagle" as well....for some reason my "Soaring" Eagle was always a "Crashing" Buzzard.

Arley Davis
02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I have already drawn up the decals on Corel Draw for the Spacemaster, and let me say it took a Long time for they are vary detailed. Image 1 is the original copy of the decal; Image 2 is my retrace with 1 extra set on an 81/2 x 14 sheet. If you look close the gray areas will be changed to white before the decal is made and the color may be somewhat off. I plan on someday making a clone of this rocket.

kurtschachner
02-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I have already drawn up the decals on Corel Draw for the Spacemaster, and let me say it took a Long time for they are vary detailed. Image 1 is the original copy of the decal; Image 2 is my retrace with 1 extra set on an 81/2 x 14 sheet. If you look close the gray areas will be changed to white before the decal is made and the color may be somewhat off. I plan on someday making a clone of this rocket.

Hey, nice job on the redraw. Would you post the .cdr file here? If so, can you post it as an old version or also as an EPS file?

Hmmm?

Intruder
02-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I have already drawn up the decals on Corel Draw for the Spacemaster, and let me say it took a Long time for they are vary detailed.

I know how you feel. It took me forever and a day to create my custom Intruder deals with GIMP and Paint Shop Pro.

Mark II
02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
The Estes version of the Recruiter, introduced in the same catalog as the S.W.A.T., was not exactly easy on the eyes, either. They took a really nice looking Centuri kit and totally messed it up. Another homely camo scheme! :eek: What on Earth could they have been drinking?!

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/89est42.html (http://www.ninfinger.org/%7Esven/rockets/nostalgia/89est42.html)

Mark

ghrocketman
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I think the designers at Estes must have been drinking PURPLE KOOL-AID when they released the schemes for their Recruiter and SWAT.

Gus
02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a few of the original S.W.A.T. kits.

Anyone who would like one for $35 with free shipping, PM me.

sandman
02-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I have a few of the original S.W.A.T. kits.

Anyone who would like one for $35 with free shipping, PM me.

Hey, I have some too! :D

jay
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Fred mentioned launch pics of the S.W.A.T. on JimZ's site and I checked them out. I never noticed the S.W.A.T.'s grey underside before. I'm starting to think of her as a futuristic BOMARC. I think Estes gave her that camo job so that enemy aircraft on anti-radar missions wouldn't spot her so easily on the ground. ;) I don't know how to explain the cockpit-like decal though.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't know how to explain the cockpit-like decal though.

That's where T.J., Streets, and Deacon sit. (Showing my age with that one. And my bad taste in 70's television.)

ghrocketman
02-07-2008, 08:45 PM
The show SWAT was NOT bad television; it was 70's TV at it's FINEST.
I own the first season on DVD....think that was Robt. Urich's first well known series.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
The show SWAT was NOT bad television; it was 70's TV at it's FINEST.
I own the first season on DVD....think that was Robt. Urich's first well known series.

It was the '70's. Face it. It was pretty cheesy. It had a disco-influenced soundtrack and they never failed to get their man. Hondo was another name that I've since come up with, but I think I'm still missing one.
That's out on DVD? Wow, can Charlie's Angels be far behind? :rolleyes:
I know Urich did Vegas, but what was the one where he lived in an old firehouse?

gpoehlein
02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Are you thinking of "Spenser For Hire"? That was a fun series - With Avery "Capt. Sisko" Brooks as Hawk!

Greg

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-07-2008, 09:48 PM
That was it. I was never a regular, but I'd occasionally catch an episode. I haven't thought about Robert Urich in a long time. ;)

Doug Sams
02-07-2008, 09:56 PM
That was it. I was never a regular, but I'd occasionally catch an episode. I haven't thought about Robert Urich in a long time. ;)He was Dan Tanna, too, wasn't he? He died a few years ago - his cancer came back.

I enjoyed his portrayal of Rocky Blier. Wonder if Blier went to his funeral...

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-16-2008, 12:39 PM
With a little luck, this gets painted tomorrow. (It's supposed to be almost 60 degrees here. :eek: I've got quite a bit of painting to do.)
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Wallyum/SatelliteInterceptor006.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Wallyum/SWAT-SatelliteInterceptorfrontview.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Wallyum/SWAT-SatelliteInterceptorcluster.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Wallyum/Forgottocleartheholes.jpg

genimijim
02-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Very nice build.
How much weight did you have to put in the nose for the cluster?

Jim

jay
02-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Excellent work Bill!

Gus
02-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Bill,

Looking at the pic of the aft end of the cluster-mount it looks like the centering ring above will block a lot of the ejection charge.

Have you ever used this style mount before? If so, I'm curious as to how much damage the ring above sustains, or if the motors eject themselves.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Bill,

Looking at the pic of the aft end of the cluster-mount it looks like the centering ring above will block a lot of the ejection charge.

Have you ever used this style mount before? If so, I'm curious as to how much damage the ring above sustains, or if the motors eject themselves.

:o
Not to worry. I plan to cut the blockage away before I fly it. I just included the pic because I wanted to show everyone how easy it is to get caught up in finishing something and overlook the obvious.
This has always been the cluster mount I've used in the past. I always make sure to tape the engines in, so I've never had a problem with a motor ejecting.

tbzep
02-17-2008, 03:33 PM
:o
Not to worry. I plan to cut the blockage away before I fly it. I just included the pic because I wanted to show everyone how easy it is to get caught up in finishing something and overlook the obvious.
This has always been the cluster mount I've used in the past. I always make sure to tape the engines in, so I've never had a problem with a motor ejecting.

It should work even if you decided not to trim it out. I've seen clusters used to ignite a single upper stage with smaller diameter BT (similar to a Nike Hercules). Four D12 boosters at burn through should produce a considerable volume of gas to compare with three regular ejection charges. You go ahead and try it and report back to us. ;)

jay
02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Looks like I won't have to clone a S.W.A.T. after all! Just got this mint, factory sealed kit from Gus! Never had a chance to get one while they were in production. I know I'm making a big deal of it but I really love this rocket's design! Thanks again Gus! Build pics coming soon!

genimijim
06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=A Fish Named Wallyum]<snip> I dragged out my S.W.A.T. and it got me thinking about what Estes could POSSIBLY have been thinking with this kit <snip> the recommended engines are C6-3 and C6-5. Granted, this isn't a huge bird by any stretch, but I'd think it at least called for a D. Anyone ever build one? Fly one? [QUOTE]

Bill, I just flew my S.W.A.T. on a D12-5. I had read your thread on your S.W.A.T. so I got out my S.W.A.T. put it together with a D mount. The winds here today were very light, 3.9 mph, it flew straight as an arrow, chute deployed, drifted about 75 yds from the launch pad. When I have help next time I'll try to take a few photos.

genimijim