PDA

View Full Version : Maxi Icarus parts needed

jjon66
02-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Hello !

I am looking for Maxi Icarus Decals and Clear Payload sections. If anybody knows of a cross ref part for the clear payload section that would be great as well.

Thanks

Jon
Los Angeles

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/loadstar.htm
I'm pretty sure this is the payload section that I used on mine. Not a terrible price. Payload sections are pretty scarce and it doesn't seem that anyone can find a source for new ones either.

johnnwwa
02-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Hello !

I am looking for Maxi Icarus Decals and Clear Payload sections. If anybody knows of a cross ref part for the clear payload section that would be great as well.

Thanks

Jon
Los Angeles

Jon
ACSupply is your best bet for the clear payload section from Estes Loadstar.
Ref # I have from Estes Accessories pack is # 303195 Contains the following
1-PS-60 5" clear payload section
1-BT5560 Adapter
1-BT60 Nose Cone
1-BT60 Coupler

Decals for Maxi Icarus www.tangopapadecals.com
BAR
John

jjon66
02-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys for all the info! I may also have source for the payload section if you can get me an exact dimention. In the mean time I will go check your suggested resources.

Sincerely

Jon

Leo
02-08-2008, 02:07 AM
http://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/loadstar.htm
I'm pretty sure this is the payload section that I used on mine. Not a terrible price. Payload sections are pretty scarce and it doesn't seem that anyone can find a source for new ones either.

Thanks for the tip!

Now I can too build a clone using Estes parts :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Now I can too build a clone using Estes parts :)

;)
The Loadstar was originally sold as the Warp II back in the late 80's/early 90's. The Loadstar was one of the bulk-buy kits and my club had some in the range store that were left over from a scout launch. I should have bought more of them, but I'd wanted to clone a Warp II ever since seeing my brother-in-law fly one that he found in a salvage store. (It was brush painted and heavy as lead. The paint was laid on so thick that it fused the stages together and he had to fly it as a single stager.) It never occurred to me that the payload sections were going to be so scarce in a few short years. :eek:

tbzep
02-08-2008, 07:39 AM
I've been meaning to build a Maxi-Icarus clone for some time. I made some decals for it a while back but never got around to collecting the parts needed. The only problem I see with using the Loadstar is that it's a pretty cool looking little kit on its own....I don't know if I'd have the heart to break it up for a little short piece of plastic tube. :rolleyes:

Tom Swift
02-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I've been meaning to build a Maxi-Icarus clone for some time. I made some decals for it a while back but never got around to collecting the parts needed. The only problem I see with using the Loadstar is that it's a pretty cool looking little kit on its own....I don't know if I'd have the heart to break it up for a little short piece of plastic tube. :rolleyes:

Buy two. <obvious>

:)

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Buy two. <obvious>

:)

Yeah, that was going to be my suggestion also. ;)
Hard to believe that it's become that difficult to find clear plastic tubing in the correct size. What is this, the 90's? :rolleyes:

Leo
02-08-2008, 02:12 PM
You are so spot on Bill :)

tbzep
02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm cheap. :D

moonzero2
02-09-2008, 05:11 PM
A few years ago I got some clear plastic tubing I thought from Red Arrow Hobbies,... but I just checked and they don't have any now. I wonder what happened?? :confused:

CPMcGraw
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
It's not exactly the same dimension, but close enough for gubberment work... :D

And it's cheap, too! :rolleyes: :cool:

Go grab an 8' length of flourescent lightbulb sleeve tubing. It's ID is fractionally smaller than the OD of BT-60, but one can compensate for this by adjusting the shoulders of any balsa components that are fitted into it, and by adding a sleeve of BT-60 with a thin slice (like, two widths of an X-Acto blade) taken out.

I used this kind of tubing to fix up a Maxi Icarus from a Screamin' Mimi kit. All it needed was a new set of fins, and a balsa bulkhead from SEMROC.

Green Dragon
02-19-2008, 07:43 AM
It's not exactly the same dimension, but close enough for gubberment work... :D

And it's cheap, too! :rolleyes: :cool:

Go grab an 8' length of flourescent lightbulb sleeve tubing. It's ID is fractionally smaller than the OD of BT-60, but one can compensate for this by adjusting the shoulders of any balsa components that are fitted into it, and by adding a sleeve of BT-60 with a thin slice (like, two widths of an X-Acto blade) taken out.

I used this kind of tubing to fix up a Maxi Icarus from a Screamin' Mimi kit. All it needed was a new set of fins, and a balsa bulkhead from SEMROC.

Agree on checking out the light cover tubes.

Although I've not seen any that were SMALLER than BT60, those would be useful - I have two different sizes of these tubes on hand - both larger than BT60 size.
one is just larger ( real close OD,thin wall makes the cones sloppy, but they will not fall inside - I tried a vintage FSI RT16 cone and it fits real nice, so assume SEMROC / Centuri cones would work well. ( current plans unsure on what to build, the FSI cone is close for an Icarus , but not quite right, lol.
the other light tubes I have are big enough that a BT60 is a dead-on COUPLER for the tubes, so a cone with BT60 glued on would fit inside, but would slide all the way inside without a shoulder 'lip' added.

Might have to build something now, like I need more in the non-shrinking que * sigh * .... I do have a builtup vintage Maxi Icarus sitting not 2 feet from this desk - in good shape, but has the FSI offered 27MM ( F100 ) motor mount installed, with vintage CNA systems engine hoook as well. hasn;t flown in 20 years +, rubber shock cord could be replaced and flown, now you guys twisted my arm, lol ....

~ AL

Rustee
03-19-2008, 02:46 AM
Yes,CPMcGraw is correct in that the plastic tubing is only .005" smaller. I was looking for replacement tubing for an Estes PS50-E payload section,but it's BT65 not BT60 so it didn't work. I remembered it because it also works great for protecting the tubes of my high-end mountain bike,slit it and slip it over and there you go. Anyway,that tubing comes in 4' lengths too and there's also some for the smaller diameter flourescent tubes at 29mm ID if I remember,making it the same as series 115,I'll check it again as it could fit BT55 if it's actually larger. BTW,someone mentioned bulk Loadstars,my LHS has a couple dozen of them,are these OOP? Thanks.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-19-2008, 02:58 AM
BTW,someone mentioned bulk Loadstars,my LHS has a couple dozen of them,are these OOP? Thanks.

I don't know if the Loadstar is OOP, but I know we no longer have them in the club store. If the price is right, pick a couple up for the Payload sections. I wasn't sorry to have one on hand to build my Maxi-Icarus. :cool:

Rustee
03-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Yes,I think I will,actually not a bad little rocket to build. I have this thing about putting the 'chute IN a payload section,with a hole/baffle in the reducer. Might look cool with a brightly coloured or mylar 'chute in it. Well,here goes another one!