PDA

View Full Version : The BUTCHER

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-24-2005, 03:01 PM
This is something I've been meaning to share for a while, and now I'll get the chance since I'm cleaning out the garage. This is the remains of a Rascal starter set I bought off Ebay in 2001. It was hard to tell how badly this guy had hacked this project based on the pics, but it didn't attract much interest and I wound up paying more in postage than I did for the set. There was a knife in the box when it came, the kind you might carry on your keychain, and apparently it was the tool of choice when cutting out the fins. (First pic.) He did manage to get the grain orientation right, but from the looks of it he just regarded the fin pattern as a suggestion. He apparently lost the engine hook and one of the centering rings, so he fashioned a hook out of a piece of yellow electrical wire. (Yes, the kind with the plastic coating, which is seen somewhat in the second pic.) He also apparently didn't think much of the nose cone because he cut away part of the bottom of the cone. You'd think that this would have been enough to convince him that he wasn't cut out for anything more than an Estes RTF, but he also made an attempt at constructing the launch controller. No picture of that because I can't get all of the pieces in a small enough pile. The only good thing about this was that it included a pack of engines and the untouched decal, so that some day I can build a Rascal if the urge strikes. Luckily he appears to have lost interest in the hobby, so we probably don't have to keep an eye out for a guy toting a Big Bertha with taped on, mismatched fins at NARAM next week.
Sorry about the picture quality, but my camera and I are not seeing eye to eye today.

CPMcGraw
07-24-2005, 06:38 PM
This is something I've been meaning to share for a while... the remains of a Rascal starter set I bought off Ebay in 2001... The only good thing about this was that it included a pack of engines and the untouched decal...

Oh, the horror!

(Strong, "B" movie announcer-type voice with echo needed here) "When good kits go bad!"

In terms of salvage, you also have that nose cone to work with. I'm sure you keep a few dozen sheets of balsa on-hand for various projects, and a few lengths of spare tubing. Build a goony of something instead. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Oh, the horror!

(Strong, "B" movie announcer-type voice with echo needed here) "When good kits go bad!"

In terms of salvage, you also have that nose cone to work with. I'm sure you keep a few dozen sheets of balsa on-hand for various projects, and a few lengths of spare tubing. Build a goony of something instead. :D

I have a veritable FLEET of Baby Berts for Goonys. This one will eventually be a Rascal when the urge strikes. (Probably over the winter when I'm poor and bored. ;) )

CPMcGraw
07-24-2005, 06:58 PM
I have a veritable FLEET of Baby Berts for Goonys. This one will eventually be a Rascal when the urge strikes. (Probably over the winter when I'm poor and bored. ;) )

I built a Rascal earlier this year. When you have one "in the flesh", it's bigger than it looks in those images.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-24-2005, 08:21 PM
I built a Rascal earlier this year. When you have one "in the flesh", it's bigger than it looks in those images.

Sounds painful. Did you try tweezers? :eek: