PDA

View Full Version : G. Harry Stine and Sputnik Imbroglio, 1957

metalhead100
03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.heinleinarchives.net/upload/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1047

G. Harry Stine and Sputnik Imbroglio, 1957...

Correspondence and newspaper clippings regarding public comments of G. Harry Stine concerning the launch of Sputnik, and subsequent firing of Stine from his government missile contractor job. Some newspaper articles include quotes from Robert on the meaning of Sputnik for national security as a harbinger of Soviet ICBM capability. File also includes catalog for Stine's model rocket business

Comes with catalog info from stines original company.......pdf file sale. Anyone buy from here?.....Id like to see this stuff for $1.00 it would be worth it.

Jim

Royatl
03-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Correspondence and newspaper clippings regarding public comments of G. Harry Stine concerning the launch of Sputnik, and subsequent firing of Stine from his government missile contractor job. Some newspaper articles include quotes from Robert on the meaning of Sputnik for national security as a harbinger of Soviet ICBM capability. File also includes catalog for Stine's model rocket business

Comes with catalog info from stines original company.......pdf file sale. Anyone buy from here?.....Id like to see this stuff for $1.00 it would be worth it.

Jim

downloading it now.

Royatl
03-28-2008, 11:38 PM

Well, some interesting stuff!

It is all watermarked prominently with Heinlein's image and a big copyright and reproduction warning.

Some of the more interesting pages (to us anyway) were apparently scanned at a seriously wrong DPI and so are almost unreadable but I'll try to decipher them anyway.

The Model Missiles catalog and the old Model Missile Association info were enjoyable, as was the "Old Rocketeer" article in the "Model Rocketeer" newsletter (written when "the Old Rocketeer" was just 30 or 31!)

I have to wake up in less than 6 hours to go to a conference, so I'll make further comments later.

Good Find, Metalhead!!!

shockwaveriderz
03-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Well worth $1, but I would have paid more for better quality work.

terry dean
nar 16158

georule
03-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Well worth $1, but I would have paid more for better quality work.

terry dean
nar 16158

Yeah, sorry about that. I've requested a re-preparation of that file. We had a small number (out of 200,000) pages come out that way, but sometimes several of them grouped together, and that seems to be the case here.

Just happened to notice several of these downloads at once, so back-tracked to see where they might be coming from.

Edit: Oh, btw, some members of this group might find this file seriously hip as well: http://www.heinleinarchives.net/upload/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=842

Royatl
03-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I've requested a re-preparation of that file. We had a small number (out of 200,000) pages come out that way, but sometimes several of them grouped together, and that seems to be the case here.

Just happened to notice several of these downloads at once, so back-tracked to see where they might be coming from.

Edit: Oh, btw, some members of this group might find this file seriously hip as well: http://www.heinleinarchives.net/upload/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=842

Thanks! Be sure and let us know when that gets done. Was wondering though, what is the helicopter crash photo doing in this group of documents?

shockwaveriderz
03-30-2008, 11:15 PM

So does that mean we are gonna get new cleaner versions? without the background too I hope.

terry dean
nar 16158

georule
03-30-2008, 11:36 PM
So does that mean we are gonna get new cleaner versions? without the background too I hope.

terry dean
nar 16158

Not a chance on "without the backgroud". There is a sample document linked on the front page of the site showing that all downloads will be so marked. My reference was regarding the "seriously wrong dpi" comment only.

If those of who you paid for this document request it a second time in a few days time, using the "research grant form", I'll approve it. That offer is only for those who already paid for it, and it is easily determined by us that such a request is coming from an account that already paid for it once.

Geo Rule, www.heinleinarchives.net

Edit: Here's the sample for those who need to see it to determine if it unacceptably damages their $1 download: http://heinleinarchives.net/sample.pdf

georule
03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks! Be sure and let us know when that gets done. Was wondering though, what is the helicopter crash photo doing in this group of documents?

Hard to say. If I had to guess, it's probably a continuation page from one of the newspaper articles that got included for some reason.

Btw, dunno for sure the scope of this group's interest, but the general correspondence files for 1957 have more on the Stine/Sputnik thing. Mostly Robert pulling every string he could think of to try to get Stine another job. Various letters from Heinlein to Navy/Air Force research chiefs defending Stine and recommending him for employment.

shockwaveriderz
03-31-2008, 11:18 AM
georule: ok fair enough, although you could have Framed the documents with your background instead of it being the bakground.

Anyway, there was at least 2 pages that I could not even read at any resolution. I can point them out for you if you don't know which ones they are.

Are you aware of this.

Also it would have been nice if the documenst included were dated.

heres something I contributed to the heinlein-stine nexus:

http://rocketry.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/heinlein-centennial//

thanks

terry dean
nar 16158

Royatl
03-31-2008, 11:27 AM
georule: ok fair enough, although you could have Framed the documents with your background instead of it being the bakground.

Anyway, there was at least 2 pages that I could not even read at any resolution. I can point them out for you if you don't know which ones they are.

Are you aware of this.

http://rocketry.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/heinlein-centennial/

thanks

terry dean
nar 16158

Watermarks are a necessary evil, and to work, they must be part of the material, not near it or surrounding it.

That said, these watermarks are a little too dark and overwhelming and interfere with reading in some cases.

For excellent watermarks, see the ones that Google does with Google Maps or (i think) with Google Images.

georule
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM

Are you aware of this.

http://rocketry.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/heinlein-centennial/

thanks

terry dean
nar 16158

Terry--

Sure, if you'd like to tell me what the page numbers of those two pages are I'll make a point of reviewing them when we get the corrected pages uploaded.

Edit: Btw, re the "dated" comment, to what are you referring? Do you mean, for instance, you can't tell what date the model rocket catalog is from? Well, neither could we. :)

Tho if I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess it's roughly from 1957, as Robert Heinlein stored it with the Sputnik stuff. But a guess is all it is. It's very much WYSIWYG. We try to add some value from our own knowledge, when we have any value to add, on the index page for a given file. In this case we didn't have any knowledge of Stine's business to add.

shockwaveriderz
03-31-2008, 01:53 PM
georule:

Page 9 in the standards and testing manual is unreadable to me.

Page 2 and # from the Model Rocketeer is unreadable to me.

You have 2 pages of Harry Stine, Martyr to Truth

You also have 2 page 3's in the NAR Standards manual.

Also would it be possible to get a better scan of the Photograph article , Stine shows Model Rocket? or at least identify what the date and paper is so I can look my only copy up?

Also the MMI stuff towards the end, was any of that in COLOR. If so, could color scan be had.

I guess what I'm basically asking you to do is to improve the quality of this document. Then you could sell if for $5 or more.

hth

I do say you have excellent customer service for this.

regards,

Terry Dean
nar 16158

georule
03-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Alas, most of that is unlikely to happen ever. 200,000 pages of documents got sent to a scanning facility, and what came out the other side is pretty much all we'll ever have in the online archives. We didn't purposefully convert any color documents to grayscale (or worse two-tone b&w), but clearly the scanning place did in some cases.

As to the price, I doubt in the grand scale of things it would make much difference to the project whether we can sell that particular file for $1, $5, or $20. And, of course, at the end of the day it is the Robert A. Heinlein archives, not the G. Harry Stine's Rocket Association and Modelling Archives.

I'm not belitting your interst, I'm just telling you the way it is.

Though you could always travel to University of California Santa Cruz and ask to see the originals.

metalhead100
03-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Glad you fellas found this link interesting.

Jim

barone
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
........Though you could always travel to University of California Santa Cruz and ask to see the originals.
Hhhmmmmm....A road trip to Santa Cruz........interesting......very interesting.....

shockwaveriderz
03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Hhhmmmmm....A road trip to Santa Cruz........interesting......very interesting.....
just do it Barone an dget some quality pics or scans!

heheheheh

terry dean
nar 16158

georule
04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
We've reprocessed that file. Only three images were improved in quality. For anyone who has already paid for the 71 page .pdf, the pages that were improved are 48, 67, and 68. If anyone who has already paid for the .pdf would like a new version with those three pages at a higher (actually readable) resolution, they can re-order the .pdf through the website. When you get to the checkout, designate "research grant form". This will flag the order for my review. If I find the customer has previously paid for that document I will approve the research grant request and a new document with the improved three pages will be generated for you and a link to it sent to you.

Geo Rule, www.heinleinarchives.net