PDA

View Full Version : The Bat yeargg!!!!

rmmcdaniell
07-25-2005, 05:57 PM
The BAT on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5987892101&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

Yikes!!! this is one kit I think many desperately want to clone, but I don't know when we'll be able to get the plans with prices like this.

Phred
07-25-2005, 06:06 PM
That just seems fishy to me.... I mean $160+ for this lil' thing? Don't get me wrong, I like this rocket a lot, but what is the deal here? Is the engine hook gold plated?

Ltvscout
07-25-2005, 06:21 PM
The BAT on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5987892101&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

Yikes!!! this is one kit I think many desperately want to clone, but I don't know when we'll be able to get the plans with prices like this.
Heh, I was watching you bid on this. If your bid was going much higher I was going to ask you what you were smoking. ;)

I have an opened kit of The Bat. Kurt Schachner has it since he wanted to scan it in for me. That was a year or two ago. :D I'll give him a nudge, nudge, wink, wink to see if I can get my kit back along with the scans.

rmmcdaniell
07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
I have an opened kit of The Bat. Kurt Schachner has it since he wanted to scan it in for me. That was a year or two ago. :D I'll give him a nudge, nudge, wink, wink to see if I can get my kit back along with the scans.

That is good to know, now I can put my money to better use.

ghrocketman
07-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Seems outrageous to me for a typical 3FNC rocket that isn't even very interesting.
The only unique thing about this rocket was the fin shape.
I can right now buy an UNOPENED K-29 Saturn 1B for only $35.00 over this price.
Which seems like the better deal ????

mojack82
07-26-2005, 09:36 PM
When I saw this auction & the price, I just had to chuckle.

And I hope I'm not spoiling folks here ---

I think it was on the oldrockets forum over at Yahoo- someone said they didn't like this kit because the bat on the fin decal was obscenely flashing his groin...

Now, I just don't think I can ever look at this kit again without some goofy grin on my face...

:D :o :eek: ;)

BTW: I think it's time to update my signature starting with rule #1 to see if I can help out all my fellow poor slobs who have daughters...

mojack82
07-26-2005, 09:44 PM

Also, when you say "The Bat yeargg!!!!", could it be you're making an off-hand, veiled, but most appropriate reference to the exquisite, jump-the-shark, election screech of the current chairman of the DNC?
Or am I merely projecting?

Just curious , mind you. ;)

Jack

mojack82
07-26-2005, 10:04 PM
...I think it was on the oldrockets forum over at Yahoo- someone said they didn't like this kit because the bat on the fin decal was obscenely flashing his groin...

Pretty cheesy, quoting your own post!

However, for those of you who're biting their fingernails with anticipation, I didn't see it on oldrockets. It was posted by rocketflite over at TRF.
There, I feel much better.

Jack

Ltvscout
07-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Seems outrageous to me for a typical 3FNC rocket that isn't even very interesting.
The only unique thing about this rocket was the fin shape.
It's got a neato decal too. ;)

ghrocketman
09-06-2005, 10:34 PM
There is now another Bat kit on ebay as of 9-6-05......

Arley Davis
09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
I have the plans, fin pattern, and the original Decals for The Bat. If some of you would like to clone it I can send a copy to YORS in the near future. But the scan of the decal will not look to good for the decal is White and it will have to be scanned in dark to show up.

barone
09-08-2005, 08:04 PM
I have the plans, fin pattern, and the original Decals for The Bat. If some of you would like to clone it I can send a copy to YORS in the near future. But the scan of the decal will not look to good for the decal is White and it will have to be scanned in dark to show up.

Hey Arley....I'd like to give it a shot....Rocket doesn't look like much but the decals are pretty unique. Do you think Phred might be able to do the decals? You got my e-mail if you'd like to send the plans.... :)

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
09-09-2005, 10:59 AM
If he whants to I can send him a copy of the decals, for thay are all in white.

Phred
09-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Sure... I would appreciate a copy.

Try scanning with the contract turned up... fiddle aroujnd with your scanner settings. Sometimes this works.

Ltvscout
09-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Sure... I would appreciate a copy.

Try scanning with the contract turned up... fiddle aroujnd with your scanner settings. Sometimes this works.
Arley,

Hold off on your scan. Kurt Schachner has had my open The Bat kit for over a year now. I just reminded him about it today. He's going to scan everything and do the decals. Kurt does an EXCELLENT job in decal cleanup. Both JimZ and Tango Papa use many of Kurt's decal scans for the decals they make/sell. If anyone can do the white decals right, it's Kurt. He told me he'd get it done this weekend. When I get them from him I'll put a link to the zip file here for people to download them. It'll be awhile before they show up on YORP. ;)

Some of you old timers might remember back around '97 or '98 when Kurt did that big group order of tubes for a replica Estes 1/70th 1b. He also redrew the decals for that kit and had them silk-screened. WAY better than the originals.

kurtschachner
09-09-2005, 06:54 PM

Heh, who me have something of yours for a couple of years?

I plead guilty. I have everything including the decals. You can print them out on an Alps printer or get Tom Prestia to do it for you. They come out nice.

I'll get the stuff to Scott this weekend plus all the scans and stuff I did of the Centuri Saturn V I got. There is data in there that helps a great deal if you build the Estes reissue. Some of the stuff in the Estes instructions is wrong.

Ltvscout
09-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Heh, who me have something of yours for a couple of years?

I plead guilty. I have everything including the decals. You can print them out on an Alps printer or get Tom Prestia to do it for you. They come out nice.

I'll get the stuff to Scott this weekend plus all the scans and stuff I did of the Centuri Saturn V I got. There is data in there that helps a great deal if you build the Estes reissue. Some of the stuff in the Estes instructions is wrong.
Heh, what was that last kit of mine you had growing mold over there? I think it was an Alien Explorer or Andromeda, wasn't it? I got the kit back, but I don't think you sent me the scans from that one yet. Could you send those scans over as well?

kurtschachner
09-10-2005, 07:04 PM
OK, I sent the Bat stuff over to Scott so when he gets around to it, he'll make it available.

There are scans of the instructions, fin and decal, plus vector line art of the fin and of the decal.

The decal was scanned at very high contrast and most of the specks and other artifacts removed. Then I inverted it in Photoshop so the image is black. It WILL print to an Alps printer just fine, I have done it. The Illustrator vector artwork I saved as a PDF and you could print that just the same.

Leo
09-11-2005, 03:27 AM
AAhhh... The BAT

one of my most frustrating kits I have in my possession.

Built in the mid 80's and still not quiet finished.

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/TheBat_2.jpg

While applying the center decal piece it disintigrated and became unusable. I still have the 2 wing sections.
Ever since then I've been looking for a replacement. No luck :(
Never thought The Bat would be so rare to find.

barone
09-11-2005, 10:45 AM
OK, I sent the Bat stuff over to Scott so when he gets around to it, he'll make it available.

Scott....you mind e-mailing the decals to Phred? I've got an order on hold until he can make the Bat decals for me. Thanks.

Don
NAR 53455

Ltvscout
09-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Scott....you mind e-mailing the decals to Phred? I've got an order on hold until he can make the Bat decals for me. Thanks.
Hmmm, let's see. What's it worth to ya? ;)

Will do. I'll also put a link to it in this thread.

Ltvscout
09-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok, for those of you looking for plans, decals and templates for The Bat, you can download them from the following url:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1362/est1362.pdf

You can thank Kurt Schachner for taking the time to scan my opened kit. Thanks, Kurt!

Leo
09-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Nice :)

@Phred

If you where to make the decals. Would one see any difference between yours and the original ones (e.g. color)?

barone
09-11-2005, 05:04 PM
You can thank Kurt Schachner for taking the time to scan my opened kit. Thanks, Kurt!

Thanks Kurt! :) Gonna be an interesting build :D

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
I printed the Fin Pattern to see if its the same as what I have and the one listed above is to big, the Bat fin was not 4" wide.

Ltvscout
09-11-2005, 08:54 PM
I printed the Fin Pattern to see if its the same as what I have and the one listed above is to big, the Bat fin was not 4" wide.
You're not setting your Adobe print properly then. You have to turn off the "Fit to Page" function for the scaling. The Scaling has to be set to None. That's a common mistake.

Ltvscout
09-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Holly Sheet!!! Look at what this kit sold for!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5997566724

So, do I have any takers at $100 for my open kit? ;)

barone
09-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Holly Sheet!!! Look at what this kit sold for!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5997566724

So, do I have any takers at $100 for my open kit? ;)

Duh.....I think I'll go for the clone......Hey Phred.....Can you do the decals? :)

Guess you could always sell them for $25 a sheet :rolleyes: (but not to me of course)

Don
NAR 53455

Arley Davis
09-11-2005, 09:16 PM
That seams ridicules for this kit, The decals are cool, but give me a brake, that’s more than the $75.00 I paid for the Maxi X-Wing Fighter.

Leo
10-04-2005, 05:06 AM
Well, the 15 or so years of searching has finally come to an end!

Found an original decal set in mint condition.

Now I can finally finish my BAT! :)

Phred, no need to answer to my post above anymore ;)