PDA

View Full Version : Krylon Paint

Rocket Doctor
04-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Krylon has a new paint nozzle for their spray pint cans, they call it the 360, you can change the direction of the paint spray.

They have new graphics on the cans as well.
Tehere is a video on their web site telling about this new nozzle design and graphics.

Go to www.krylon.com

I can attest to the need for a new nozzle, after paint 27 rockets, I now have a verey sore finger, I sent thwm an email regarind this, and stumbled upon this great information.
Check it out.

cas2047
04-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey that looks very promising RD. I am in the middle or painting a bunch of rockets (all built over the winter) and it's brutal on your finger after a while.

The new Krylon cap seems to eliminate that problem. I really like the look of the focused fan spray too. It looks like you will get more paint where you want it which should save paint and give a much better end result.

I use Rust-Oleum Painters Touch a lot these days and wish they would come out with a spray cap similar to Krylons. If they don't I may have to switch. I'll at least give it a try.

Rocket Doctor
04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey that looks very promising RD. I am in the middle or painting a bunch of rockets (all built over the winter) and it's brutal on your finger after a while.

The new Krylon cap seems to eliminate that problem. I really like the look of the focused fan spray too. It looks like you will get more paint where you want it which should save paint and give a much better end result.

I use Rust-Oleum Painters Touch a lot these days and wish they would come out with a spray cap similar to Krylons. If they don't I may have to switch. I'll at least give it a try.

After 27 rockets, my finger is about to fall off!!
Isent two emails to Krylon, asking if the new nozzles could be used on the old cans, havn't gottn a reply back yet, If there are compatable, I asked them to send me a bunch of the new nozzles, certainly will save on the finger.

banco
04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Isent two emails to Krylon, asking if the new nozzles could be used on the old cans, havn't gottn a reply back yet, If there are compatable, I asked them to send me a bunch of the new nozzles, certainly will save on the finger.
I suppose you could just use one of these (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/cangun.php), though I haven't tried them myself.

Rocket Doctor
04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I suppose you could just use one of these (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/cangun.php), though I haven't tried them myself.

Thanks
I did go to Lowes and buy a paint can trigger, after the fact.

The weather finally was good, in the 70's and the humidity was low, perfect painting day. I had 27 rockets to finish off, only have 11 to go. Two coats each, that's a lot of painting. I get to do it again on the remaining rockets.

RD

Royatl
04-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Those nozzles have been around for at least 20 years, in Sherwin-Williams products (I suppose that's why they're now on Krylon, as S-W now owns Krylon). I do see one improvement, in that it doesn't require longer fingernail to turn the direction.

I've been fighting with a couple of Krylon products today. An old can of gloss black and a new can of pumpkin orange spits out paint in globs. Fortunately the black levels out nicely. The orange, not so much.

I don't know if this is nationwide, but i got a can of Metallic Gold Krylon for just $1.98 from Michaels yesterday (it rang up as "promo price"), and it did an excellent job on Scout #597. This is NOT the regular Krylon line, by the way.

Finally, a non Krylon complaint. I got a can of some sort of plastikote fleck paint, that for some reason has no flecks in it. I shook it for 15 minutes, but it is essentially nothing but a clear coat. Was going to do a nifty looking irridescent VF-261, but I guess I'll just shoot it two-toned gold and silver.

cas2047
04-17-2008, 01:19 PM

That's a LOT of painting RD! I just finished up a scratch Colonial Viper and a Q-Modeling
Nike-X.

I had also just about wrapped up an Estes DER V-3 and I wasn't 100 percent satisfied with the job so I decided to just hit it again real fast. Big mistake. Now I have to sand the whole thing down and start over again. I should have left good enough alone. :rolleyes:

Rocket Doctor
04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Those nozzles have been around for at least 20 years, in Sherwin-Williams products (I suppose that's why they're now on Krylon, as S-W now owns Krylon). I do see one improvement, in that it doesn't require longer fingernail to turn the direction.

I've been fighting with a couple of Krylon products today. An old can of gloss black and a new can of pumpkin orange spits out paint in globs. Fortunately the black levels out nicely. The orange, not so much.

I don't know if this is nationwide, but i got a can of Metallic Gold Krylon for just $1.98 from Michaels yesterday (it rang up as "promo price"), and it did an excellent job on Scout #597. This is NOT the regular Krylon line, by the way.

Finally, a non Krylon complaint. I got a can of some sort of plastikote fleck paint, that for some reason has no flecks in it. I shook it for 15 minutes, but it is essentially nothing but a clear coat. Was going to do a nifty looking irridescent VF-261, but I guess I'll just shoot it two-toned gold and silver.

Just received an email from Krylon, they did admit that there were problems with the old valves. I guess this is why they changed over to the new 360 valves.

They offered me a refund or new product if I would send to them my ORIGINAL store receipt.
What I ened up doing like I mentioned above, went to Lowes, and purchased a trigger, it work great, I would suggest anyone who does any painting with spray paints to invest into a trigger.
Homax Aeresol Spray Gun SKU 46078 $2.57, and, well worth the investment.

I would suggest contacting Krylon, go to their web site ask@krylon.com and submit your info, they responded back to me with a couple of hours.

Rocket Doctor
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
That's a LOT of painting RD! I just finished up a scratch Colonial Viper and a Q-Modeling
Nike-X.

I had also just about wrapped up an Estes DER V-3 and I wasn't 100 percent satisfied with the job so I decided to just hit it again real fast. Big mistake. Now I have to sand the whole thing down and start over again. I should have left good enough alone. :rolleyes:

I'm finishing up now, plenty of GOLD paint used. At least the weather was cooperating this time. I will post photos soon.

Race58
04-17-2008, 07:19 PM
I had the same spitting problem with the new can/valve of gloss black.

metalhead100
04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the info RD........So far Krylon has been great paint for hobbies..It puts up with my heavy painting just fine. I get runs with other paint....guess im impatient.

Krylon ..good stuff. I love the gloss clear.....Makes them Rockets shine.

Jim

Rocket Doctor
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I had the same spitting problem with the new can/valve of gloss black.

contac their customer service dapt, they stand behing their products (if you have the original receipt)

ask@krylon.com
www.krylon.com

Gus
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I would suggest anyone who does any painting with spray paints to invest into a trigger.

I bought one 2 years ago when my daughter was having trouble painting her rockets. At age 10, her finger would tire too quickly from holding the spray nozzle down.

It immediately solved the problem and made for a way happier spray painter, and nicer paint jobs to boot. I wish every problem in life was that easy and inexpensive to solve.

I highly recommend the spray triggers for kids, and the young at heart. ;)

moonzero2
04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
What is this spray trigger you all are talking about? Never heard of it. Sounds like I could sure use one.

LeeR
04-17-2008, 11:26 PM

I've had a couple Krylon cans do that. I bought two cans of Sunshine Yellow, if I recall the name correctly. Both spit globs out. I took them back to Hobby Lobby for an exchange.

Had problems with Testors small cans, too. Once can had no pressure to speak of, and just spit out little bits of paint. ANother one gushed paint, like tio had a faulty seal, or maybe a nozzle that did not fit well.

Ironically, most of the "buck-a-can" paints I've tried shoot fine.

LeeR
04-17-2008, 11:28 PM

I've had a couple Krylon cans do that. I bought two cans of Sunshine Yellow, if I recall the name correctly. Both spit globs out. I took them back to Hobby Lobby for an exchange.

Had problems with Testors small cans, too. Once can had no pressure to speak of, and just spit out little bits of paint. Another one gushed paint, like it had a faulty seal, or maybe a nozzle that did not fit well. (See below). The red fins have some imperfections from the intense spray they received. The can probably lost 1/2 its paint all over my lawn while I tried to paint the fins.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Astron%20Cobra/th_cobra.jpg (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Astron%20Cobra/cobra.jpg)

Rocket Doctor
04-18-2008, 05:21 AM
What is this spray trigger you all are talking about? Never heard of it. Sounds like I could sure use one.

Go to any Lowes or Home Depot , they have them in the paint aisle next to the spray paint cans, it looks like a "pistol", that attatches to the top of the can and has a "trigger" that you pull , sure cuts down on finger fatigue. I still have an impression in my finger.

I have listed the model and SKU number above for the one available at Lowes. Also, hardware stores should have them as well.

But, a sure bet is Lowes, just picked one up yesterday, well worth the price, under $3.00

moonzero2
04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Go to any Lowes or Home Depot , they have them in the paint aisle next to the spray paint cans, it looks like a "pistol", that attatches to the top of the can and has a "trigger" that you pull , sure cuts down on finger fatigue. I still have an impression in my finger.

I have listed the model and SKU number above for the one available at Lowes. Also, hardware stores should have them as well.

But, a sure bet is Lowes, just picked one up yesterday, well worth the price, under $3.00

Thanks, I'll do just that. This will also help my 8 year old Grand-daughter who cannot at all push down the nozzle.

ghrocketman
04-18-2008, 01:53 PM
I have had SEVERAL cans of Testors Gloss White paint perform the "gush around the nozzle" just like your red can in the picture over the past year.
Obviously they have some sort of quality control problem with their can supplier regarding the seal to the nozzle.

scigs30
04-19-2008, 11:38 AM
The one thing I noticed on my new can of Krylon is that it no longer says re coat any time. Now it reads re coat within 1 hour or after 24 hours. So I don't know if the paint has changed I will email Krylon. I like the re coat anytime.

Royatl
04-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Back in the day when Ron Schultz owned LOC/Precision, he made a video (probably 1989 or so) where he built an Onyx. He mentioned that the "buck-a-can" paints available at WalMart at the time were actually good quality Sherwin-Williams products.

Ah! How about that. I still have a can that I bought 18 years ago!

http://www.roygreen.com/images/paintcan.jpg
http://www.roygreen.com/images/paintcan2.jpg
http://www.roygreen.com/images/paintcan3.jpg

Rocket Doctor
04-19-2008, 03:59 PM
That only goes to show that many items are made by brand companies and we ard duped into buying the more expensive thinking it is better?????

Mark II
04-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I have seen that new Metallic Gold paint too, at my local hardware store, but not at that price. It looks interesting - does it actually have a metallic sheen, like the label claims?

A couple of years ago, I bought a can of Rust-O-Leum Reflective spray paint, that sounds like what you are describing. I tested it on a piece of scrap to see if it would produce that "highway sign" shimmer like it was supposed to do, but it didn't end up having anything like that effect. I wasn't sure if the poor results were inherent in the product or were due to some error in my painting technique. (Normally, Rust-O-Leum never disappoints.)

Mark

scigs30
04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Here is a reply from Krylon
Hi David,

Thank you for your inquiry with the Krylon website. We appreciate you
taking the time to contact us.

Yes, the Indoor/Outdoor line has replaced the Interior-Exterior line, and
the formulation for this product is different. While the Interior-Exterior
line was an acrylic lacquer, the new Indoor/Outdoor line is a VT (Vinyl
Toluene) Alkyd enamel.

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you have any other questions, please
reply with complete message history and my name in the subject line, and I
will respond as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
Eric
Krylon Product Support

Royatl
04-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I have seen that new Metallic Gold paint too, at my local hardware store, but not at that price. It looks interesting - does it actually have a metallic sheen, like the label claims?

A couple of years ago, I bought a can of Rust-O-Leum Reflective spray paint, that sounds like what you are describing. I tested it on a piece of scrap to see if it would produce that "highway sign" shimmer like it was supposed to do, but it didn't end up having anything like that effect. I wasn't sure if the poor results were inherent in the product or were due to some error in my painting technique. (Normally, Rust-O-Leum never disappoints.)

Mark

I bought this because a guy in our club has a couple of rockets painted with it and they look great! He even painted one of them after wrapping it in a fishnet stocking... very interesting effect. Bummer that mine doesn't work.

Oh, and yes, the sheen on the Metallic Gold is quite nice. Much better than the regular line Silver.

Rocket Doctor
04-22-2008, 05:53 AM
I bought this because a guy in our club has a couple of rockets painted with it and they look great! He even painted one of them after wrapping it in a fishnet stocking... very interesting effect. Bummer that mine doesn't work.

Oh, and yes, the sheen on the Metallic Gold is quite nice. Much better than the regular line Silver.

Try the Rust Oleum Metallic Gold, I found it to be much better than the Krylon. Repainted all of my Golden Scout's, they look much better now.

pantherjon
04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Try the Rust Oleum Metallic Gold, I found it to be much better than the Krylon. Repainted all of my Golden Scout's, they look much better now.

Yep, the Rust-Oleum 'American Accents' metallic Gold IS a nice rich gold color ..It is what I will be using on my Golden Scouts..

Gus
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
The Rustoleum Metallic Silver is also a wonderful color. Very much of a metalflake appearance as opposed to most other silvers.

In general I prefer Krylon paints because they go on thinner and dry more rapidly than other rattlecan paints. But, unfortunately, you can't use Krylon Clear over Excelsior decals. It just eats them up. So anything I'm planning to use Fred's decals on I have to use Rustoleum.

But now that Krylon is changing, I'll have to re-evaluate. The "recoat anytime" approach fit into my life way better than their new <1 hr or >24 hr regimen. :(

banco
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
The Rustoleum Metallic Silver is also a wonderful color. Very much of a metalflake appearance as opposed to most other silvers.

In general I prefer Krylon paints because they go on thinner and dry more rapidly than other rattlecan paints. But, unfortunately, you can't use Krylon Clear over Excelsior decals. It just eats them up. So anything I'm planning to use Fred's decals on I have to use Rustoleum.

But now that Krylon is changing, I'll have to re-evaluate. The "recoat anytime" approach fit into my life way better than their new <1 hr or >24 hr regimen. :(
I agree, and also am disappointed at the increased dry time. But it's nice to hear what you say about Rustoleum clear coat. I have an Aerobee 300 with Excelsior decals on it that still needs a clear coat, but I wasn't sure what to use.

barone
04-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Steve,

Just to make sure the clear coat doesn't eat my decals, I clear coat the decals with Future first....haven't had a problem.

Gus
04-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Don,

Do you then coat the rocket with Future?

Have you ever tried Krylon over the Future?

I routinely pre-coat Excelsior decals with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Clear, same as I do for my own inkjet decals. I generally don't pre-coat silkscreen decals (Estes, Semroc, Flis) and usually don't have a problem using Krylon clear over them.

I much prefer Krylon clear to the Rustoleum. It goes on thinner and leaves a far smoother finish than the Rustoleum which tends to pebble.

I've read a lot about the pros and cons of using Future. I've just never tried it.

barone
04-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Steve,
Do you then coat the rocket with Future?If I had faith in my ability to use an airbrush, I would. I just brush it over the decals. That protects them from the possibility of being eaten by the clear coat. Then I spray the entire rocket with the clear coat.

Have you ever tried Krylon over the Future?The last can I used is Krylon Crystal Clear. I let the Future dry (usually a day) before I use the Krylon.

I routinely pre-coat Excelsior decals with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Clear, same as I do for my own inkjet decals. I generally don't pre-coat silkscreen decals (Estes, Semroc, Flis) and usually don't have a problem using Krylon clear over them.

I much prefer Krylon clear to the Rustoleum. It goes on thinner and leaves a far smoother finish than the Rustoleum which tends to pebble.

I've read a lot about the pros and cons of using Future. I've just never tried it.
Something else I used to do with the Future (that I've been remiss about doing for some time now).....I'd dip my balsa nose cones into it and then hang them by the screw eye to dry. Usually accomplishes three things for me. The most obvious is that it seals the balsa. Secondly, it usually fills all the grain. Third, makes for a hard nose cone, that is, it won't dent as easily as just fil n finish and paint. ;)

Gus
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Don,

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try.

I really appreciate the nosecone tip. I use the Sandman method which is to smear white glue all over the nosecone and let it dry. Works OK but I think I'll give the Future a try.

Steve

tbzep
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I've coated nosecones with Future and with white glue. Both have always caused extremely uneven swelling near the tip where the ends of the xylem and phloem are exposed by the tapered cut.

Solomoriah
04-25-2008, 08:44 AM
I've used a paint can trigger since Day 1 as a BAR. Dollar General stores around here sell them for a dollar.

ghrocketman
04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I use Aero Gloss Balsa Fillercoat followed by Aero Gloss Sanding Sealer to fill balsa nose cones (and fins) EXCLUSIVELY.
Works great, gives that "olde tyme" dope smell in the shop, and is more than PLENTY tough.
The ONLY thing I use fill-n-finish for is to fill in dents and imperfections in balsa parts PRIOR to the Dope-based filler/sealer coats.

Brian L Raney
06-08-2008, 12:01 AM
After complaining to Jared at Krylon about the change in paint formulation and why I needed to reapply paint within 1 hour or after their 24-hour donut hole, this was the answer I got back.

"Brian,

Thank you for your inquiry. Due to Federal VOC restrictions on solvent based paints, we were forced to change the formula from a lacquer to an alkyd. Lacquers can be recoated anytime, whereas alkyds need to be recoated within one hour or after 5-7 days. Once the alkyd resin starts curing, if a new coat is applied over it, wrinkling will likely occur."

5-7 days? What happen to the waiting 24-hours? That donut hole just got a whole lot bigger! :mad:

I have yet to recieve an answer to that question.

Solomoriah
06-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Well, that does explain why my cheap paints have always had that "within an hour or after a week" requirement. They must've always been alkyd.

snaquin
06-12-2008, 08:06 PM
There's still hope of finding old stock .....

I was feeling a bit better today and after lunch I checked out the local Wal-Mart ..... unfortunately all NEW KRYLON on the shelves. There was a case or two left of Satin White in the old formula but wasn't sure if I was up to having to spray a gloss clear coat over it to achieve a gloss finish not to mention having to be careful with decals & vinyl lettering reacting with the different Krylon clear gloss types.

Stopped at Advanced Auto and picked up a few cans of Dupli-Color white primer and some of the generic store branded gloss black and gloss white (also made by Dupli-Color). Advanced Auto was a little expensive on the Dupli-Color branded stuff at almost $5 per can, but the generic black and white gloss was only around $3 a can. If it works as well as the primers I've used in the past I'll be well pleased.

Last stop was Ace Hardware. They still had many colors of the old formula Krylon spray paints mixed in with the newer stock on the shelves. I picked up a few colors of the old formula Krylon and a couple of cans of Day-Glo Fluorescent Yellow in the ACE branded spray paints. Check out your local Ace Hardware store as they may still have old Krylon on the shelves since they are probably not as large a mover on can spray paints as the local Wal-Mart stores, ect. ..... at least not in my town.

Mark II
06-12-2008, 08:53 PM
There's still hope of finding old stock .....

I was feeling a bit better today and after lunch I checked out the local Wal-Mart ..... unfortunately all NEW KRYLON on the shelves. [...]
The shelves of my local hardware stores (including Ace) and my "local" Wal-Mart are still brimming with OF Krylon (maybe we should call it "Krylon Classic"?).

Stopped at Advanced Auto and picked up a few cans of Dupli-Color white primer and some of the generic store branded gloss black and gloss white (also made by Dupli-Color). Advanced Auto was a little expensive on the Dupli-Color branded stuff at almost $5 per can, but the generic black and white gloss was only around $3 a can. If it works as well as the primers I've used in the past I'll be well pleased.
Now that's where you've got me - Dupli-Color primer for only $5/can! It's $6/can ($5.99, actually) at AA's around here - and still worth every penny, too. That's just for the primer. Many of the Dupli-color colors are $7-$8 per can. AA store brand spray paint is $3.99 - $4.99 per can. Both OF Krylon and Rusto-Leum are cheaper than that at the Ace Hardware next door.

One of the reasons why I like OF Krylon is that it is the least expensive "premium" spray paint that I can buy around here.

Last stop was Ace Hardware. They still had many colors of the old formula Krylon spray paints mixed in with the newer stock on the shelves. I picked up a few colors of the old formula Krylon and a couple of cans of Day-Glo Fluorescent Yellow in the ACE branded spray paints. Check out your local Ace Hardware store as they may still have old Krylon on the shelves since they are probably not as large a mover on can spray paints as the local Wal-Mart stores, ect. ..... at least not in my town.

"Ace Is The Place" - now that really is truth in advertising. My fave hardware store.

Mark \\.