PDA

View Full Version : Estes 1236 K-36 Saturn V

Rocket Doctor
04-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Check out ebay on this 1236 K-36 Estes saturn v (1969 - 1985 )
iTEM #270227051645

Current bid price $510.00

pantherjon
04-20-2008, 10:11 AM
That is nuts! More power to the winning bidder tho..Way out of my league...

Rocket Doctor
04-20-2008, 10:26 AM
That is nuts! More power to the winning bidder tho..Way out of my league...

Don't you mean more power to the seller? There are about four other Satrun V's up for bid, nothing close to this outrageous price.

dwmzmm
04-20-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm glad I decided to hang on to my K-36 kit and build it for what's intended; display and
flight. Long thread of that project in the Projects section.....

There's hardly any amount of money that will compel me to part with these vintage models!

LeeR
04-20-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm glad I decided to hang on to my K-36 kit and build it for what's intended; display and
flight. Long thread of that project in the Projects section.....

There's hardly any amount of money that will compel me to part with these vintage models!

I was too lazy to do the research when I saw this ... is that kit REALLY an original from the late 60s, or was that packaging used later, as well?

When I saw that last night, and yelled to my wife that our investment in Saturn V kits was doing really well!

It does look to be in incredible condition, but really, who is paying these outrageous sums?

dwmzmm
04-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I was too lazy to do the research when I saw this ... is that kit REALLY an original from the late 60s, or was that packaging used later, as well?

When I saw that last night, and yelled to my wife that our investment in Saturn V kits was doing really well!

It does look to be in incredible condition, but really, who is paying these outrageous sums?

Here's a pic of my K-36 Saturn - V (not fully finished when this pic was taken) with the package box along with the Centuri's packaging....

mikeyd
04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
This is not the original K-36 release, it is the 1236. The original K-36 I got back in about 72-73, came with the "New D engine adapter", which allowed it to use D13-3's, not the D12's refenced on this one's box.

Rocket Doctor
04-20-2008, 03:46 PM
This is not the original K-36 release, it is the 1236. The original K-36 I got back in about 72-73, came with the "New D engine adapter", which allowed it to use D13-3's, not the D12's refenced on this one's box.

1236 (K-36) Produced by Estes between 1969 - 1985

mikeyd
04-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks RD, as you have better knowledge of the source, I am just working off of memory. I did not remember that the K36 and the 1236 started out the same, I thougt the 1236 was added later, even though it realistically was the same kit. Was Damon, part of the equation in 69? , or was there a Pre-Damon saturn V. As I recall, when the kit first came out it did not include the D engine adapter, and you had to order that later when it was available, but the kit was designed with that option in mind.
My First CATO was a D13-3 In my Saturn V. It spit the nozzel, and pushed it's self all the way up through the rocket, via the stuffer tube, pushing out the parachutes!

Attached is the front cover of my Directions, no mention of D engines or 1236

dwmzmm
04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
My First CATO was a D13-3 In my Saturn V. It spit the nozzel, and pushed it's self all the way up through the rocket, via the stuffer tube, pushung out the parachutes!

My last D13-3 cato was on my third K-36 Saturn - V, at a Regional meet, no less. I had the
model modified so the four outer plastic F1 nozzles remained in place and flew with the
rocket (this was in the NAR Scale event). Using my home built launch pad (a wooden base
with the 3/16" rod secured). The D13 literally exploded as the Saturn was about a foot
up the rod, spewing the three parachutes through the top of the SM as the cato gave the
big model a heave upward. Lucky for me, the Saturn landed sideways on a nice, soft patch
of clover leafs a few feet away from the launch pad. This was in 1971 or 1972.

Footnote: I still have the last D13-3 from which the batch used for the above flight in my
OOP motor collection.....

sandman
04-20-2008, 08:16 PM
I built my K-36 Saturn V in 1970 right after I got married and got layed off from my job. I got another job working at an orchard down the road with not much to do all day.

Flew it 3 times succesfully 9I just used up one pack of motors).

Then one day maybe 10 years later, my wife sold it in a garage sale.

"Oh, I didn't think you wanted it any more."

I still don't know why she would think that.

dwmzmm
04-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I built my K-36 Saturn V in 1970 right after I got married and got layed off from my job. I got another job working at an orchard down the road with not much to do all day.

Ouch!! Are you all still married?! :eek: :D

sandman
04-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Ouch!! Are you all still married?! :eek: :D

Yep, 38 years next month!

Now she lets me buy whatever I want.

Rocket Doctor
04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks RD, as you have better knowledge of the source, I am just working off of memory. I did not remember that the K36 and the 1236 started out the same, I thougt the 1236 was added later, even though it realistically was the same kit. Was Damon, part of the equation in 69? , or was there a Pre-Damon saturn V. As I recall, when the kit first came out it did not include the D engine adapter, and you had to order that later when it was available, but the kit was designed with that option in mind.
My First CATO was a D13-3 In my Saturn V. It spit the nozzel, and pushed it's self all the way up through the rocket, via the stuffer tube, pushing out the parachutes!

Damon purchased Estes in September of 1969. I first saw the Estes and Centuri Satrun V's at the Pittsburgh Spring Convention in Pittsburgh PA back around that time period.

The Saturn V's have changed slightly over the years, and, have had diferent kit numbers, but, the 1236 (K-36) went from 1969 to 1985.

?To be honest with you, I preferred the Centuri Saturn V to the Estes, built two of them, still have some parts left over, I should say what is left of the completed vehicles.

I also had two Cox RTF Satrun V's, I converted one over to fly on a single "D", it flew just fine with one motor. It was designed for two, didn't have a stuffer tube and the entire airframe was filled with the ejection charge, I don't know how the recovery system deployed though, it did need a stuffer tube to direct the ejection charge.

I like the original Uprated Saturn 1-B that Estes put out, it had a cluster of four motors, never had a problem lighting them all up.

I also notice that there were several Saturn V's listed on eby, I can't believe this one was going for $510.00 though.

CPMcGraw
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
...Then one day maybe 10 years later, my wife sold it in a garage sale...

Bigger question: Did she get enough for it? :D

dwmzmm
04-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Congratulations!!

"Now she lets me buy whatever I want." Guess that's true after selling that "I didn't think
you wanted it anymore" Saturn - V!! :D

LeeR
04-20-2008, 10:12 PM

Sandman, congratulations -- my wife and I are celbrating 34 years next month -- May 25.
Likewise, no complaints on my purchases. After all these years, we do not tell each other what or what not to buy. It is all self-regulating. And we have separate accounts (or maybe I should say two joint accounts), as of 15 years ago. That was perhaps the single best financial decision we ever made. No yelling over who spent what. I mostly pay bills, she buys groceries and necessities.

And for those of you that have not reached this kind of agreement yet, I recommend alternative solutions. I used to leave the purchases in the garage, and then sneak them into my basement shop late at night. :)

Royatl
04-20-2008, 10:29 PM

Every once in awhile on eBay, you see a K-36 (or a Mars Lander) box with the pre-Damon logo.

K-36 = 1236. The very first ones in '69 had the removable cluster mount (they didn't mention the possibility of the future "D" motor, and ostensibly the mount was so you could more easily prepare the cluster outside the model). No differences, just the changeover to the SKU# system (common to all the kits) in 1974 or thereabouts. That kit (3-C cluster or single-D) continued until '85. In '88 they introduced the 2001 kit, which was a single "D" only, and used the Centuri design (i.e. the long main body, separation at the bottom of the SIV-B Aft Interstage, larger fins) by Keith Niskern.

dwmzmm
04-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I'd have to say the original D13-3's (before the cato problem came up) gave the K-36 a pretty good flight. Mine, even with the addition of the four plastic F1 nozzles, always got
plenty of altitude before the ejection and recovery deployment. I've never got around to
using the D12-3 since I still prefer to fly with clusters.....

Race58
04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Now that picture brings back memories of mine. Just wish I had a picture of it. Loved that rocket,,, was a great build. Unfortunately it was destroyed on it's first flight when the "D" engine had a side burn. If that hadn't happened I'm sure that my wife of 34yrs would have thrown it out during the time I was out of the hobby figuring I don't use it anymore so at least yours got something for it. :) I built my K-36 Saturn V in 1970 right after I got married and got layed off from my job. I got another job working at an orchard down the road with not much to do all day.