PDA

View Full Version : D Engine in Red Max

bkent1@mac.com
05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I built the Red Max fairly sturdily (epoxy fin fillets, shock cord glued to engine mount and so on. I also used a 24mm engine mount to be able to fire it with a D engine.

Any problems I might encounter?

How high do you think it will go?

Is their a website that will tell you altitude of a rocket with a given engine if you enter the rockets weight?

Thanks,

Bill Kent

tbzep
05-15-2008, 05:34 PM
I built the Red Max fairly sturdily (epoxy fin fillets, shock cord glued to engine mount and so on. I also used a 24mm engine mount to be able to fire it with a D engine.

Is their a website that will tell you altitude of a rocket with a given engine if you enter the rockets weight?

Thanks,

Bill Kent

Shouldn't be any problem....let 'er rip. I don't think it will even need any nose weight.

I'm not aware of any websites, but you can download a demo of Rocsim that will allow you to put in the rocket's dimensions and it will estimate the altitude. It's available on the Apogee Rockets website.

MarkB.
05-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey, I'm cloning a Big Red Max which was a Red Max with an 18" body tube. I used a long engine hook for E-engines and a Semroc ejection baffle. If I can get a calm day the weekend, I'll let you know how it works .

I RocSim'd it and it was over-stable.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey, I'm cloning a Big Red Max which was a Red Max with an 18" body tube. I used a long engine hook for E-engines and a Semroc ejection baffle. If I can get a calm day the weekend, I'll let you know how it works .

It does just fine. ;) :rolleyes:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Wallyum/DerBigRedMaxE9-6lift-offQUARKLaunch.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Wallyum/DerBigRedMaxlandingQUARKLaunchApril.jpg

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-15-2008, 10:16 PM

Thanks,

Bill Kent

I've also been flying a Der Goony Max with a 24mm engine since about 2005. I've had nothing but great flights.

sandman
05-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I flew my Goony Max at NARAM 47 on a D12-7.

All I did was change the fins and added a tailcone. Not really goony...more like modern upgrades.

Be preparred for a long walk! It gets some serious altitude!

ghrocketman
05-16-2008, 08:25 AM
The Red Max with a "D" engine is usually painted Yellow-Orange and Black and is known as the "Astron Goblin".

maricopasem
05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
I downscaled the Big Red Max to BT-55 and painted it patriotic, hence the Big Red White and Blue Max. It has a 24mm MMT and has flown great on C11's, D12's, and E9's (hanging out the back) with zero nose weight.

moonzero2
05-16-2008, 12:32 PM
The Red Max with a "D" engine is usually painted Yellow-Orange and Black and is known as the "Astron Goblin".
"I second that" :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Good point. :cool:

Chas Russell
05-16-2008, 01:34 PM
The Red Max is a BT-60 while the Goblin is a BT-55, so no real corollation except for fin design and nose cone shape. But then, I digress...

I guess you could stretch the Goblin and get Der Big Orange Goblin. Bill answers."Hhhmmmmm...."

Chas

ghrocketman
05-17-2008, 04:45 AM
OOPS...
My Bad...
I thought they were both BT-55.
Actually I've never built either one of them.

So then is the Big Red Max roughly the same size as the Citation Patriot ?

Jeff Walther
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM

<chuckle> Beat me to it by a few months. I was going to post that it sounded like he built a Goblin after I read the rest of the posts.

I still have my Goblin from the 70s. One of the few kits that seems to have survived decades of storage and neglect and moves intact. Dare'st I launch it?

Rustee
10-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey Fish,what are those things that look like sailboard sails in the above pics,wind socks? Or something to hide behind to take a wizz? ha

sandman
10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Actually I've never built either one of them.

And why not??? :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
10-03-2008, 09:46 AM
No real reason for the Red Max, just never built one.
As for the Goblin, this one is just a little small in my book for "D" power; yes I actually like getting my rockets back, and no it would not do to fly one without the "D" !
Although my "backyard" is a 500 acre farm field that I am allowed to recover into, I'm not sure I'd want to walk the distance to recover a Goblin on a D12-7 in anything but zero wind.

Doug Sams
10-03-2008, 10:02 AM
No real reason for the Red Max, just never built one.
As for the Goblin, this one is just a little small in my book for "D" power; yes I actually like getting my rockets back, and no it would not do to fly one without the "D" !
Although my "backyard" is a 500 acre farm field that I am allowed to recover into, I'm not sure I'd want to walk the distance to recover a Goblin on a D12-7 in anything but zero wind.Wuss.

:D

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey Fish,what are those things that look like sailboard sails in the above pics,wind socks? Or something to hide behind to take a wizz? ha

We share the park with a lot of other groups, and on this particular day they had a Kite Fest. Pretty impressive, really. The amount of time and money that people put into the things is incredible. I was talking to one lady during a recovery walk and it was pretty clear that she thought what I was doing was every bit as odd as what I thought about what she was doing.
And we call the things we pee behind "trees". :rolleyes: ;)

D-12 Dave
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=A Fish Named Wallyum] The amount of time and money that people put into the things is incredible.

Sounds suspiciously familiar :D

West Shore Rockets
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I put an old Aerotech 18mm D21-4 in a Der Red (actually blue) Max.

Mistake.

Yeah, never got that one back. Even at the club launch. Gave me a nice whiplash when it launched trying to follow it going up. yeah, that one hurt.

Don't do this.

pantherjon
10-08-2008, 08:00 AM
LOL...I haven't done it, but have been tempted to do exactly the same thing in my DRM.Now, I know not to!..Saw a fellow club member put a D21 in his Solar Flare last weekend at our club night launch..Looked like the lights you see on a passenger jet at 30k feet when it reached apogee!:eek: I was more surprised that he actually got it back! ;)

o1d_dude
12-15-2008, 02:29 PM

Sorry to resurrect a rather old thread but the topic is of interest to me as I have a Der Red Max kit sitting on my workbench as we speak.

The stock DRM body tube measures 1-5/8" OD and 8-1/2" long. In addition to the difference between the lengths of Der Red Max and Der Big Red Max body tubes, I'll also need a longer motor tube, right? The old DBRM plans show a BT-20B.

gpoehlein
12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Sorry to resurrect a rather old thread but the topic is of interest to me as I have a Der Red Max kit sitting on my workbench as we speak.

The stock DRM body tube measures 1-5/8" OD and 8-1/2" long. In addition to the difference between the lengths of Der Red Max and Der Big Red Max body tubes, I'll also need a longer motor tube, right? The old DBRM plans show a BT-20B.

The most flexible arrangement for a DBRM would be to put a 3.75" (or longer if you want to use it like a stuffer tube) BT-50 motor tube in there. You'll need new (or widened) centering rings. With the longer motor tube, you can fly it with E motors, use the 1" orange spacer to fly it with a C11 or D12 motor, or use the spacer and an adapter to fly it with an 18mm C or D. Adapters are really easy - you just need a 2.75" BT-20, three 2050 centering rings, a motor clip and a BT-20 motor block.

Greg

West Shore Rockets
12-15-2008, 04:28 PM

I actually used an Aerotech 18mm D engine.

But you'd need a new engine tube (BT-50, about 3.75 inches long) and new centering rings (BT-60 to BT-50). Other than that, you should be good to go. Make sure you swing test it though. Not sure how much the heavier engine will throw it off, if at all.

o1d_dude
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Much appreciated as I'm only just returning to the sport after an 18 year absence.

BoosterDude
01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
My clone Big Red Max flies great on the Estes E9's. The standard Red Max is a great flyer on D12's, just finishing mine now. I'm making it a Blue Max with decals from Phred.