PDA

View Full Version : Foil Wrap Clear Coat? (Estes WASP Clone (InFlight))

space_bus
05-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I just finished an Estes WASP clone kit (by InFlight), which features a foil wrap. I usually clear coat my finished rockets with Future Floor Finish, but I'm wondering whether or not that's to be avoided with foil wraps. Does anyone have experience with FFF and foil wraps? If so, what's the results?

Thanks.

jay
05-19-2008, 11:17 PM
I recently built an InFlight WASP clone and used two coats of Future and then applied the decals and foil wrap. Then I put a final coat of Future over the decals but not over the foil wrap. I intended to apply the foil wrap last, after the final coat of Future, so I put a wrap of masking tape around the bottom portion of the foil wrap so I wouldn't get any Future on it. I just didn't want the foil clear-coated, but I don't think it would be a bad thing.

InFlight
05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I have tested Future Floor Finish on the chrome foil wrap with no issues. Just make sure the surface is clean and free of dust or you will see bright shiny specks on your wrap.

space_bus, How did the build go? I am always open to suggestions. If there is something I could do better please let me know. ;)

Btw space_bus, did you send me an email last Sunday? if so, I tried to reply back but received a delivery error message. "Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:"
blah, blah, blah.

Jay, did you fly your Wasp yet?

space_bus
05-20-2008, 09:30 PM
InFlight -- Thanks for the response, and, yes, that was my e-mail. I'll give the FFF clear coat a shot.

The WASP kit was a fun build. I thought you put together a very nice and high quality kit. I actually had my eye out for an original and was happy to find that you were offering a clone of such an obscure kit (it only had like a two-year run in the mid-1980s).

I'm happy with my WASP -- it came out looking very sharp. I'll try to get a picture posted after I get the clear coat on.

space_bus
05-23-2008, 10:12 PM
The FFF clear coat worked just fine over the chrome foil wrap.

Here's a photo of the results:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd258/gjc90/IMG_6193_Crop.jpg

Here's a couple of shots with other recently completed rockets:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd258/gjc90/IMG_6191_Crop.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd258/gjc90/IMG_6192_Crop.jpg

Of these, so far, only the Estes Gyroc (BMS clone, w/ Excelsior decals) has flown, and she took a wide corkscrew flight, but did have a nice helicopter recovery.

jay
05-23-2008, 11:11 PM
VERY SWEET builds, they look flawless!!

space_bus
05-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Jay -- Thanks for the compliments (and thanks for your reply to my original post). Photos tend to hide the blemishes, but the WASP really did turn out looking sharp. I was sweating getting that foil wrap on straight.

Now, I just have to fly her and see if she stays out of the trees. Has yours flown yet?

jay
05-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah, the wrap was a little tricky for me as well! I have to say that I think it looks better with a coat of Future, it looks like you applied an actual chrome band! Have not flown mine yet.

space_bus
05-24-2008, 10:39 PM
The WASP has its first flight today (at the NARHAMS Sport Launch) on a D12-7.

It went way up, very nice, and we were just able to pick it up after ejection. The red mylar streamer was helpful for tracking and made for a pretty quick descent (thankfully, since there was a bit of a breeze). The WASP was almost unscathed ... I think the nose cone might have hit a rock since it incurred a bit of a dent, but all told it was a successful launch and recovery.

I also gave the Comanche-3 its first flight (C11-0/B6-0/A8-5). This one was pretty fun. With these motors being about as low power a configuration as you can get for this rocket, we were able to see the whole flight (and both staging events) and actually retrieved all three stages (though I had to spot the sustainer in some tall grass).

Another first flight was the Golden Scout (A8-5), and alas it found tall grass as well. Being so small, the search was a bit of a lost cause. This one had Flight # 0829 on its decal. Time for another order from Semroc.

I also flew a two-stage Beta (A3-0T/¼A3-3T) and logged an OOP engine test (1979 vintage A3-0T). The flight was decent, but the booster managed to land on a table in the launch area and busted a fin, so it goes on the repair bench.

Leo
05-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Those rockets look very nice!

Sorry to read about losing the Scout :(