PDA

View Full Version : Back to square one......

BronzeGiant
05-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, pffffffffffffffffft!!

I was making great progress on my Gyroc clone, built from memory and the plans on Jim's website and now it's all for naught.

Painting tip: Don't EVER spray House of Kolor Black Base Coat over Krylon grey primer......APPARENTLY the HOK is LACQUER and the Krylon is ENAMEL and we know what happens when you do THAT......GRRRRRRRR!!

SO....when what I couldn't scrape off dries I get to sand the whole thing down smooth again and figure out a way to paint it the way I want OR come up with another paint job idea.

I swear if there was a LHS close enough and this was still available as a kit for the price it was when I was doing this the first time I'd trash this mess I have now and start over.

Oh well, live and learn.

Steve

tbzep
05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
I've always put Testor's/Model Master lacquer paints over Krylon white. I don't use Krylon primer, though.

STRMan
05-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I just called Rustoleum's help line last week. I was wondering about using their Painter's Touch paint over their Stops Rust paint. The adviser said it would not be a problem as both paints were lacquers. I was confused. I asked him if the Stops Rust wasn't an enamel. He said enamels are harder when dried then non-enamels, but both paints were in fact lacquer based. He said it was vital that I wait until the specified dry times passed before putting one type of paint over the other. He also said the Painter's touch clear and the Stops Rust clear were identical formulas in different packages. I found that interesting.

Indiana
05-30-2008, 07:44 AM
I've been spraying HOK over Duplicolor (which is lacquer) with good results.