PDA

View Full Version : Solar Sailer fin and dowel thickness

jdud
05-30-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm a fairly new BAR and have been hard at work trying to get a fleet together. I am in the process of cloning an Estes Solar Sailer and have a couple of questions?

Does anyone know the correct thickness balsa for the fins and/or the correct diameter for the wooden dowels?

Any input would be most appreciated.

InFlight
05-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm a fairly new BAR and have been hard at work trying to get a fleet together. I am in the process of cloning an Estes Solar Sailer and have a couple of questions?

Does anyone know the correct thickness balsa for the fins and/or the correct diameter for the wooden dowels?

If this is the one you are cloning linky (http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1297/est1297.pdf) then I would make the fins and trusses with 3/32" thick balsa and use 3/32" dowel rod.

Maybe someone else knows the exact thickness.

John Brohm
05-30-2008, 09:50 PM

Both the original Solar Sailer (#1297) and the later Solar Sailer II (#2044) used 3/32" balsa and wood dowel WD-1, P/N 032056 for the fin/dowel combination. WD-1 was/is 1/8" in diameter.

jdud
05-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks,

I thought it might be 3/32" balsa. I appreciate the help.