PDA

View Full Version : Semroc V2 xKit

ga1ba2
08-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I plan to do the scale version of this kit. Semroc recommends adding at least 1/2 oz weight way up in the nose cone. I was thinking of cutting the NC about 1 1/2 inch from the front and only hollowing out that portion, adding the weight and gluing it back together. That way the shoulder end would still be intact and less chance of screwing it up. I would use a band saw to minimize wood loss and effect the NC length only about 1/16 inch. Any thoughts?

barone
08-08-2008, 10:26 PM
I plan to do the scale version of this kit. Semroc recommends adding at least 1/2 oz weight way up in the nose cone. I was thinking of cutting the NC about 1 1/2 inch from the front and only hollowing out that portion, adding the weight and gluing it back together. That way the shoulder end would still be intact and less chance of screwing it up. I would use a band saw to minimize wood loss and effect the NC length only about 1/16 inch. Any thoughts?
Well, that would work but you create a weak point there (the joint between the nose cone and tip). I guess the momentum of 1/2 oz weight wouldn't be enough to pull it apart. Of course, once you remove that 1/16" balsa, the tip will be narrower than the nose cone so you will need to use some wood putty/filler to bring it back to shape. Let us know how it works out. I'm eventually going to get the V2 myself and plan to build with the scale fins also.

sandman
08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Don't cut the nose cone! The kerf of the saw will take a small section out and it will be tuff to get it smooth.

This is a jig I made for several tubes/nose cones.

I make a centering ring out of 3/4" plywood that fits the body tube (BT-55 I think).

Then carefully center a hole in the centering ring and drill it with a forstner drill bit.
This is the size hole you will make in the cone.
Be sure you have a wood dowel to match that hole.

Insert the tube onto the shoulder and start to drill.

Drill a short ways in and let the cone spin. if it wobbles center it lightly with your hand so the hole stays centered.

Be careful not to drill too deep.

Add weight.

Plug the hole with a wood dowel.

Drill the center of the dowel to take the screw eye.

ga1ba2
08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I just wasn't comfortable drilling out the nose cone from the end so I did cut the cone at about 1 1/2 inch from the tip. Didn't measure the saw kirf but it is about 1/32 inch. After gluing 1/2 oz shot I glued the 2 parts together. Went together fine and with just a little sanding it looks great. I would use this technique again.