PDA

View Full Version : Emergency repair kit

Bob Kaplow
08-09-2008, 02:52 PM
[Scott pleaded with me to repost this here...]

Someone at NARAM (Carl? Jim?) was talking about putting together a NARAM handout repair kit for the contestant packets. I mentioned that Estes used to do that back in the "good old days". Well, I found one of the old zip lock bags, which lists the contents on the front. Here is what was in them:

Launch Lugs
Screw Eyes
Tape Disks
Sandpaper
White Glue Packet
12' Shroud Line
Recovery Wadding
12" Parachute
1/8" and 1/4" Shock Cords
Launch Rod Safety Cap
Universal Safety Key
Shock Cord Mounts

Eventually, this became an item they sold in the catalog, #2233.

Not listed, but I remember they also included an orange modeling knife. Back then I could count how many NARAMs I'd attended by how many of those orange knives I had.

There was also a plastic folder, in fact one from Estes and one from Centuri each year, stuffed full of literature, with the meet logo printed in gold or silver on the plastic. I still have some of these lying around as well.

Plus a pad of half sheet sized graph paper, also with the meet logo printed on it. I think the last time I saw one of these was for NARAM-33 here in Chicago.

barone
08-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Welcome Bob! Wow Bob and George as forum members.....anybody think to invite Fitch? :D

Ltvscout
08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Wow, after years of me badgering Bob, he finally relented and joined a "web-based" forum. :D

Welcome to YORF, Bob. We look forward to you adding to our history and knowledgebase here.

Carl@Semroc
08-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks Bob!

It was me (SEMROC).

I did not know Estes did that because I never was able to attend NARAM's in the past. It did seem like something good to provide to contestants/attendees, however.

Some suggestions for a 21st century update to the list are welcome! And welcome to YORF, Bob.

Ltvscout
08-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Some suggestions for a 21st century update to the list are welcome! And welcome to YORF, Bob.
Bob has lists of all kinds of cool stuff. It is of course in true Bob Kaplow style. It's a directory of numerous txt files. You can find it here:

http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/

Maybe he'll post some of that stuff here. ;)

Royatl
08-09-2008, 05:32 PM
I still have my NARAM 33 note pad, and the NARAM 32 vinyl pouch.

tbzep
08-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I've got one of the repair kits that they sold mail order, which is what I thought you were talking about at first. I wonder if Estes used the mail order repair kit and just added a few special NARAM goodies for it. Mine has/had similar contents to the list you posted, but it didn't include the modeling knife.

Bob Kaplow
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM
What would I add today?

One of those tiny (0.1oz) bottles of CA
Small roll of masking tape
Kevlar cord
Sewing elastic
Q2 ignitors
Emery board
Protest form :-)

Mark II
08-10-2008, 01:54 AM
What would I add today?

One of those tiny (0.1oz) bottles of CA
Small roll of masking tape
Kevlar cord
Sewing elastic
Q2 ignitors
Emery board
Protest form :-)
- Current edition of the United States Model Rocket Sporting Code...

(... or perhaps that should be the one thing that should specifically NOT be included... ;) )

It's a great idea, though, and I like your suggestions for updated items. (Yes, that includes all of the items you mentioned. :D ) [That reminds me - I really should clean the clutter out of my range box and repack it. :o ] Oh, and welcome to the forum, too (from someone who has been posting about rocketry online for only a tiny fraction of the time that you have :) )!

Mark \\

Leo
08-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Here the contents from way back:

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/rockets/repairkit.jpg

As you can see the white glue has turned braun and the shock cords have dried up.

tbzep
08-10-2008, 12:51 PM
That looks like mine....except I've used the wadding and most of the launch lugs.

Bob Kaplow
08-10-2008, 06:24 PM
OK, so now that I'm here, how do I figure out who all these cute screen names really are? I got Carl, Roy, and LTV Scout figured out, but I'm sure there are others that I don't recognize but have known for a while.

Come to think of it, if I'd used a cute screen name way back when, maybe I's still be a TRA member :-)

mperdue
08-10-2008, 06:45 PM
OK, so now that I'm here, how do I figure out who all these cute screen names really are?
I'm guessing you'll figure out who I am... :)

Mario

Doug Sams
08-10-2008, 07:14 PM
OK, so now that I'm here, how do I figure out who all these cute screen names really are? I got Carl, Roy, and LTV Scout figured out, but I'm sure there are others that I don't recognize but have known for a while. Lots of folks call me Doug, but folks who know me really well call me Tai Fu :D not.

Doug

Bob Kaplow
08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey Doug! I knew Tai Fu, and you're no Tai Fu :-)

Doug Sams
08-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey Doug! I knew Tai Fu, and you're no Tai Fu :-)
http://home.flash.net/~samily/stuff/Baby-Bob-Tai-4.jpg

Royatl
08-10-2008, 07:33 PM
That's Tai Fu?! Totally not what I expected! Well, maybe a little bit of what I expected, but still...

Doug Sams
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
That's Tai Fu?! Totally not what I expected! Well, maybe a little bit of what I expected, but still...Roy,

I kinda felt the same way. I was expecting him to be taller and skinnier, but it's a curiosity how the mind sets such expectations based entirely on ascii text :)

BTW, that's Neil Tarasoff/Dancing Baby on the left (and Bob on the right). This was taken at NARAM in 2002 in McGregor, Texas.

Doug

LeeR
08-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow, after years of me badgering Bob, he finally relented and joined a "web-based" forum. :D

Welcome to YORF, Bob. We look forward to you adding to our history and knowledgebase here.

Wow, did RMR finally disappear? I recall posting there a lot in the early 90s, and Bob had to be the #1 poster for years.

I look forward to seeing Bob's posts, also.

Lee Reep

Leo
08-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Who's Bob Kaplow? :rolleyes:

:D

Rocketflyer
08-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Bob, we met at NARAM 50. My EZup was next to you, with Bruce Canino's. Pleasure to have met you and yours. :) We had the SoJARS banner

Jack

JRThro
08-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Bob, we may have spoken briefly a couple of weeks ago at NARAM-50. No formal introductions, though, I don't think.

I'm John Thro, the guy in my avatar.

barone
08-11-2008, 01:27 PM
We've had range duty together at both NARAM 47 and 49. Of course I've done nothing memorable like bouncing an egglofter off the tent and into the garbage can and still getting a qualified flight........ :D .

rokitflite
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi Bob,
We met at Naram 50... And I believe 46, 35, 28, 26 and 23 :D

-Scott Branche

Mark II
08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi, Bob. We've never met, except on the oldrockets group (you once called me a Luddite - in jest, I think ;)). BTW, even though I didn't say so at the time, I did find the information in your New Astron Workshop page to be quite helpful. :D I've even bought a couple of power tools since then! :p

Mark \\

JRThro
08-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Bob,
We met at Naram 50... And I believe 46, 35, 28, 26 and 23 :D

-Scott Branche
Showoff!

Scott, I hope by the time I'm *your* age I can say I've been to 6 NARAMs, too.
:eek:

Bob Kaplow
08-11-2008, 09:29 PM
But by the time you're my age, will you be able to say you've been to 34 of them?

Bluegrass Rocket
08-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Bob,
Saw you at NARAM 50 but, introduced myself to you this year at the very windy, little participation ROCI launch in Muncie, IN. I said to you that day that I had first met you at the '79 Kent State Spacemodeling Convention. Welcome. I just joined at the beginning of this year but, it has been very fun and enjoyable.

JRThro
08-12-2008, 08:01 AM
But by the time you're my age, will you be able to say you've been to 34 of them?
Let's see... I've been to 1 NARAM, so if I attend the next 33, I'll be... (yikes!)

Bob, I think the answer to your question is an emphatic no. To be honest, when I was Scott's age, or even yours, I had never even heard of model rocketry.

Bob Kaplow
08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
|Not listed, but I remember they also included an orange modeling knife. Back then I could |count how many NARAMs I'd attended by how many of those orange knives I had.

Looks like James really wants one of these orange knives. I did a little searching, and it's an X-acto 8R. THe Xacto web site seems to be not responding, but I found it here if someone else really needs one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=WR&I=LXKY81

CaninoBD
08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Bob,

Should be easy to figure my screen name.

Me and Jack from SoJARS were next EZ-UP over from you at NARAM.

Bruce