PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen these plans?

Eagle3
08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
I've got the three on the right, Ganymede, Little Beth X-2, and Starship Excalibur, but has anyone ever seen plans for the three on the left? I'm sure I could whip something up, but I'm guessing they existed in some form.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I've got the three on the right, Ganymede, Little Beth X-2, and Starship Excalibur, but has anyone ever seen plans for the three on the left? I'm sure I could whip something up, but I'm guessing they existed in some form.

I think the middle boost glidey-looking thing is the only one that has never been isolated. I thought the others were part of the JimZ site, but now I'm not so sure. We covered this on OldRockets once. :confused:

I just checked, and the one at the bottom that I thought looked familiar was the Argus 2, but it's a little different.

Guess you'd better "get whippin'". ;) :D

EchoVictor
08-23-2005, 04:09 PM
What's the one on the top left, and where can we find it?

Thanks,
EV

Eagle3
08-23-2005, 07:41 PM
I just checked, and the one at the bottom that I thought looked familiar was the Argus 2, but it's a little different.

Fins are a lot different. Plus, no T tail on the Argus II. Different beast all together. I've been collecting these number plans for years and have everything on Jimz plus what Scott has. Those three are unaccounted for.

The top left one looks like it's wearing Skydart scoops on the sides.

ghrocketman
08-24-2005, 02:20 PM
The one on the lower left looks similar (but a little shorter) to a kit Estes produced in the 80's called the Orbital Interceptor.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/81est032.html

rraeford
09-01-2005, 12:29 PM
The one on the upper left looks very similar to a plan that a friend of mine sent in to the DOM contest in the early 1970s. He didn't win but came in second. He received a gift certificate for it. The kit name was “Intrepid.” His name is Paul Simpson.

I seem to recall his name being mentioned in an Estes newsletter but can't remember exactly.
Also, I don't know whether or not the parts catalog was out before that. His design might have been based on that model instead of the other way around.

rraeford

Eagle3
09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
That parts catalog came out in the early 70's as well, so it could be your friends design. Pretty cool design and certainly worth cloning.

Arley Davis
09-02-2005, 06:24 PM
I do not thank they were ever made into plans. Years ago I purchased the Estes Futuristic Parts Assortment, that had rocket parts, body tubes and futuristic nose cones. In the Assortment box was 2 pages of drawings of rockets that could be built with the parts,2 of the three rockets you are talking about are on the sheets plus 5 others. The Assortment box also had 2 sheets of fin patterns of the rockets.

If you would like I can post them on YORS as soon as he catches up with what I have already have sent him? Her is a low resolution scan of the two pages.

Eagle3
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I do not thank they were ever made into plans. Years ago I purchased the Estes Futuristic Parts Assortment, that had rocket parts, body tubes and futuristic nose cones. In the Assortment box was 2 pages of drawings of rockets that could be built with the parts,2 of the three rockets you are talking about are on the sheets plus 5 others. The Assortment box also had 2 sheets of fin patterns of the rockets.

If you would like I can post them on YORS as soon as he catches up with what I have already have sent him? Her is a low resolution scan of the two pages.

Thanks Arley, but I've already scanned this for Scott.
http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/Estes/FPA/Future.pdf

I don't think any of the missing three resemble the rockets on that Idea Sheet. I agree that the plans were probably never released unless they were tossed in mail orders like the McKibbens Special plan sheet. That plan was never published in MRN, but I got a copy in a mail order package around the mid-80's.

EchoVictor
09-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Arley,

I'd love to see pictures or scans of the fin patterns that came with the Futuristic Parts Assortment, if you please.

Thanks,
EV

Eagle3
09-06-2005, 10:24 AM
EV, I have those patterns and they'll be going to Scott for the next YORP update.

Arley Davis
09-06-2005, 04:02 PM
I will send them if thay do not show up on YORS Plans.