PDA

View Full Version : Old Krylon

Phred
08-14-2008, 07:12 AM
OK, So I hate they new stuff. Enough has already been said about its shortcomings.

What I have started doing is stocking up on the old stuff.

All of the Walmarts in my area have the new formula, except for odd satin and pastel/designer colors.

I had better luck at K-mart. I have 2 K-marts that are about a mile or so from a Walmart, so no one shops there!! I was able to load up at one K-mart, buying all of therir white primer and gloss white.

I will also be checking the one or two Mom and Pop hardware stores in the area.

Does anyone have any idea how long a can of Krylon will be good for? Can I use it after 2/5/10 years?

Phred

ghrocketman
08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
I have old cans of odd colors of Krylon that are at least 15+ years old that I still use when I need those specific colors.
I have plenty of spray cans (as well as cases of pints for my airbrush) of Aero Gloss dope and Pactra 'namel that are from the 70's that are still good as well.
As long as the valve does not leak, and you don't freeze the cans, the shelf life is almost unlimited.

scigs30
08-14-2008, 10:27 AM
They will last a long time. I bought all the Krylon in my area, and have enough to last a long time. This picture is a little old because now all the shelves are full with Krylon.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/100_3865.jpg

Phred
08-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I am moving in this direction myself.....

Ph

Phred
08-17-2008, 11:30 AM
OK, I visited a bunch of stores yesterday while I took my wife shopping. Here are some tips for finding old Krylon:

1) Go to K-mart, esp a K-mart that is within a few miles of a Walmart. I found most of my old Krylon at several K-marts in the area.

2) Check 'Mom and Pop' hardware stores. This is the second best plac I found for old Krylon.

3) Sears: almost no one buys spray paint at Sears. I found a good supply at both Sears I visited.

4) Other non-national department stores.

5) Check Michaels, Jo-Ann fabrics, and other craft stores. Who goes there to buy spray paint? I found red at Michaels, which I was unable to find almost anywhere else. USE THOSE COUPONS!!

6) Wal-mart: sells a lot of paint, and I almost never found old Krylon. Is is worth a check if you are there to buy other stuff.

7) Target: In my area does not handle spray paint, not sure about other areas of the US.

Good luck on your search!!

Niteowl
08-18-2008, 01:19 AM
I too, found red hard to come by. Go figure.

One thing to remember is some facilities don't rotate stock properly.

I had cleaned out a local Wal-Mart of basic colors I wanted, only getting a dozen cans or so. A couple weeks later I cruised down the paint aisle (now a regular habit) and found a six-pack of old formula "Banner Red". Happy Happy, Joy Joy! Almost started crying right there.

Dropping in Wal-Marts and Hardware stores while traveling has been helpful. I think I'm set for a while.

We had some friends over this weekend and while in my work area my wife opened up a cabinet to show them my stash(~40 cans). Ha-Ha........ yes folks, I am a freak. I didn't even bother explaining, they've come to expect "strange behaviour" from me. I did tell them not to bother asking to use any. I didn't even know my wife was aware of my paint stash. Now it has to go under lock and key...... :)

Mark II
08-18-2008, 02:36 AM
They will last a long time. I bought all the Krylon in my area, and have enough to last a long time. This picture is a little old because now all the shelves are full with Krylon.
AH-HA! So THAT's where all of the remaining worldwide stock of OF Krylon went! :eek:

Hoarder! :D :p

Mark \\.

P.S. And that had better be all for your own use! :D I don't want to hear that you are offering to sell some of it - for the "quite reasonable" price of $49.95 per can... :eek: :rolleyes: (Just kidding!!)

rangerstl
08-21-2008, 12:19 PM

Is that one of those Target storage cabinets or something from a hardware/home store?

JRThro
08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Here are some tips for finding old Krylon:

1) Go to K-mart, esp a K-mart that is within a few miles of a Walmart. I found most of my old Krylon at several K-marts in the area.
2) Check 'Mom and Pop' hardware stores. This is the second best plac I found for old Krylon.
3) Sears: almost no one buys spray paint at Sears. I found a good supply at both Sears I visited.
4) Other non-national department stores.
5) Check Michaels, Jo-Ann fabrics, and other craft stores. Who goes there to buy spray paint? I found red at Michaels, which I was unable to find almost anywhere else. USE THOSE COUPONS!!
6) Wal-mart: sells a lot of paint, and I almost never found old Krylon. Is is worth a check if you are there to buy other stuff.
7) Target: In my area does not handle spray paint, not sure about other areas of the US.

1) K-mart - All K-marts in Houston closed a year or two ago.
2) 'Mom and Pop' hardware stores. - Good idea. There's an ACE hardware store a couple of miles from my house.
3) Sears - Another good idea that I never would have thought of.
4)
5) Michaels, Jo-Ann fabrics, etc. - I have bought old Krylon at Michael's and Hobby Lobby after the formula changed.
6) Wal-mart - I don't think they sell Krylon.
7) Target - No spray paint here.

space_bus
08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the Sears tip -- it was golden. I hit the local 'Sears Grand' picked up several cans of old formula Krylon Gloss White, Glass Black, Banner Red, and Pumpkin Orange. Also grabbed the last can of Blue, one Burgundy, one Fluorescent Orange, and one H2O Sun Yellow (is the H2O stuff any good? -- they didn't have the regular Yellow). The Black, Red, Orange, and Blue all came up on some king of clearance at 97 cents a can!!! :)

The selection was kind of weak, but it was a good find, especially with the clearance price.

Mark II
08-22-2008, 12:36 AM
[...]
6) Wal-mart - I don't think they sell Krylon.
[...]
The three Wal-Marts in my area all stock plenty of Krylon. One of them (the newest one) carries more of it than they carry of their own brand (or any other brand, for that matter).

Maybe we got all of the Krylon that was supposed to go to the Wal-Marts in the Houston area? :eek: :D

Matk \\.

JRThro
08-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the Sears tip -- it was golden. I hit the local 'Sears Grand' picked up several cans of old formula Krylon Gloss White, Glass Black, Banner Red, and Pumpkin Orange. Also grabbed the last can of Blue, one Burgundy, one Fluorescent Orange, and one H2O Sun Yellow (is the H2O stuff any good? -- they didn't have the regular Yellow). The Black, Red, Orange, and Blue all came up on some king of clearance at 97 cents a can!!! :)

The selection was kind of weak, but it was a good find, especially with the clearance price.Wow! That sounds like a good find!

There's a Sears Hardware store a few miles from my house, and another full-blown Sears store at a nearby mall. Hmm...

Royatl
08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
went by two Ace Hardwares, got eight cans of old gloss white! woot!

Also got one can of old gloss black, and picked up a can of the Ace branded gloss white that appears to have the same formulation as old Krylon. I'll give it a try soon, and look up the MSDS for it.

LeeR
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
went by two Ace Hardwares, got eight cans of old gloss white! woot!

Also got one can of old gloss black, and picked up a can of the Ace branded gloss white that appears to have the same formulation as old Krylon. I'll give it a try soon, and look up the MSDS for it.

Someone at work needed to paint something white, and bought Ace brand gloss white. He said it dried really fast. My first reaction was that maybe it is rebranded Krylon?

I found one can of old Krylon white at one of our Walmarts, so I've got to check out the remaining stores, and the Kmart too. It is disappearing quickly.

Mark II
08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, I knew it would happen eventually, but OF (Old Formula) Krylon is starting to disappear from shelves around here, too now. (Fred, have you been making trips up to the North Country, recently? ;) ) Because of that, I have been checking out the competition, and I've got to say, the application and recoat times of NF Krylon don't look all that bad by comparison. Rusto-Leum, Ace Hardware, and Walmart paint all have longer "recoat within" times, but the also all have much longer "recoat after" times as well. Walmart paint says to recoat within 4 hours or after one week. :eek: :eek: :eek: After seeing that, the "recoat after" time of 24 hours for NF Krylon doesn't look so bad anymore. (Krylon Fusion, which has been out for awhile now, has recoat times of within 24 hours or after 7 days.)

Also, I recently had to make the switch to NF Krylon Gloss White. After using it on a couple of projects, my verdict is:

...I...like...it.

There, I said it. Now I need to head down to my bunker to wait out the inevitable hailstorm of sticks, stone and worse that are sure to be headed my way.

Mark \\.

pantherjon
08-27-2008, 12:03 AM
I have used a couple of cans of the 'new' Krylon(not white) and have been satisfied with the results..So, make room in that bunker for me too!:D

Solomoriah
08-27-2008, 06:58 AM
The long recoat time on the new paints is a pain, but I guess I've gotten used to it. I've never had good luck with any Krylon, so you guys can rest assured I'm not competing with you for the last cans...

Royatl
08-27-2008, 08:23 AM
I've bought a white, black, and raspberry in the new formula, and will try it on a couple of little rockets first. But at the moment I'd rather deal with what I know, so at least my base coat will continue to be old formula white for awhile (and I'll try old topped with new soon).

Royatl
08-27-2008, 08:32 AM
So the basic difference in the paints, as I understand it, is a change from using aromatic solvents to aliphatic solvents. Both are volatile organic compounds (VOC), but aliphatic is apparently much less volatile than aromatic.

ghrocketman
08-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Generally speaking, the higher the volatile aromatic organic content, the quicker the paint dries and the nicer the finish.
Aliphatic solvents in paint almost always result in a dismally long drying time and the inability to recoat at anytime....must do it within so many minutes or after a couple of days...otherwise the finish will be a hideous mess.

I still use good ol' new-old-stock Pactra AeroGloss dope for most of my rocket finishing via Airbrush, spray can, and brush-on.
Needless to say, Aero Gloss dope has a HUGE % of Aromatic Volatile Organics (VOC) that the environmental whackos just hate.
Ask me what I think of them..... :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Needless to say, Aero Gloss dope has a HUGE % of Aromatic Volatile Organics (VOC) that the environmental whackos just hate.
I'm curious. What do you think of them? :D

barone
08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
........Needless to say, Aero Gloss dope has a HUGE % of Aromatic Volatile Organics (VOC) that the environmental whackos just hate.
them?????

The dopes or the environmental whackos?

Hey, I think I just made a funny... :D

ghrocketman
08-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Aero Gloss dope is HIGHLY useful.

Environmental Whackos are about as useful as taking a bowling ball into the woods while deer hunting.
Dead weight that serves no useful purpose other than to irritate those that have to deal with it.

Mark II
08-28-2008, 12:27 AM
OK, maybe bowling balls are useless for bagging deer, but you haven't really hunted until you spent a warm summer night in the woods during your youth using a 16 lb. Brunswick to try to nail your quota of snipe... ;) :D

Mark \\.

Bob Kaplow
08-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Aero Gloss dope is HIGHLY useful.

Environmental Whackos are about as useful as taking a bowling ball into the woods while deer hunting.
Dead weight that serves no useful purpose other than to irritate those that have to deal with it.

How many environmental wackos does it take to shingle a roof?

Depends on how thin you slice them!

Badabum!

Mark II
08-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Geez, you guys - it must be tough to have your lives ruined by having clean air to breathe and clean water to drink... :rolleyes:

If I wanted to debate politics, I would be reading posts on a politics forum right now. Since I'm finding so many political posts here (and at TRF), maybe I'll dump YORF and instead head over to one of the politics forums to talk about rockets. :p

Mark \\.

Ltvscout
08-28-2008, 08:24 PM
If I wanted to debate politics, I would be reading posts on a politics forum right now.
Mark,

Sorry, this message shouldn't have devolved like this since it's in the Building Techniques area vs the FreeForAll section.

Everyone, please keep political rants to the FreeForAll section. That makes it easier for people that don't want to read that stuff to skip over it. Thanks for your understanding.

Initiator001
08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
(Back on topic) :D

I cleaned out a nearby Sears of all it's 'old' inventory of Krylon Gloss White paint (Picked up a few other colors, too).

The Krylon was "Buy one can, get the second can 1/2 price" special.

Yeah! ;)

Bob

barone
08-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah....I cleaned out a nearby Sears of all it's gloss white also! Only one can :o

ezgb59a
08-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Looks like this thread was originated many moons ago. So ... Krylon is now Crylon ...

What do you now - since the better and older Krylon is no longer available.

Also, what is the best way to paint the rocket and make it come out looking the best?

How many coats of primer do you use? How many of the final color?

One thing I noticed on my son's rockets were the lines on the tube ... how do you get those covered or at least where you don't notice them?

Thanks
ez

space_bus
08-28-2008, 11:55 PM
ezgb59a -- I summarized the techniques I use in a recent thread here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=3735

Scroll down to post #8 for the hopefully straightforward summary which includes links to more detailed resources.

But I use Old Krylon when I can since it's so easy to use (and have been hoarding many of the colors that I can find). I did just re-paint the Galaxy Guppy clone I'm working on for my son with some Rustoleum brand light blue paint, and I am impressed with its nice smooth finish. But the recoat time is not as nice as the Old Krylon recoat anytime -- 24 hrs I think it says. So, I'll be careful and wait a few days to mask it for the yellow fins so as not to have the tape pull up the paint.

As for body tube spirals, you can treat 'em like balsa fins and coat 'em with AeroGloss sanding sealer or some wood filler (e.g., Elmer's Carpenter's filler thinned with a little water).

Good luck. :)

ghrocketman
08-29-2008, 08:24 AM
BEST way to paint a rocket ?
Use an airbrush and Butyrate Dope....takes a lot of time, but the gloss of the finish and color depth will be the best.
I use original NOS Aero Gloss dope, but new production Brodak Dope is just as good.
Sig color dope is good too, but all you find is old stock of that one too.

Probably the best rattle-can finish will be had from good old little Testors Enamel spray cans, with Rust-Oleum being a close second.

The new Krylon STINKS !

Solomoriah
08-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Bah. I use cheapo rattle cans, and you can get a good finish with them. BUT, they are a bit of a hassle... you have to wait a week between colors, because of that whole "within an hour or after a week" thing.

There is a distinction between a "good" finish, an "easy" finish, and a "fast" finish. If you know what you are doing, dope in an airbrush probably is the best thing for a "good" finish. But I don't know what I'm doing. I can't get simple acrylics to go through the airbrush and produce a good coat. I do get a "good" finish with cheapo rattle-cans... good enough, anyway.

The cheap "modern" paint isn't "fast" if you want more than one color on the rocket. It is plenty fast if you are painting a single color. It IS "easy," as long as you are able to be patient.

The "old" Krylon is evidently "fast" and "easy" and, for some, "good." But I hate all Krylon... I can't get a "good" finish with it. Runs like crazy for me.

ghrocketman
08-29-2008, 09:40 AM
He asked about "BEST" way to paint, not what gives "acceptable" or "decent" or "good" results, hence my airbrush suggestion. It WILL give you the BEST possible finish.

Dopes are much easier to run through an airbrush and get a good finish than using acrylics.
The key to a good dope finish through an airbrush is LOTS of thin coats.
If you do it right, the colors are extremely vibrant, and the depth is unsurpassed.
It does take time though.
I can get a better, more even finish on nose cones using a BRUSH with dope (if one knows how to do it properly) than with cheap rattle cans.

Solomoriah
08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I disagree. "Best" is a matter of interpretation. Equivalent to "optimum." But we don't know his initial conditions, capabilities, or what he considers acceptable results. Thus, you can only interpret "best" according to your own bias, since you don't know his.

You do know you have a bias, right?

Your "best" solution would not work for me. Probably ever. My "best" solution is unacceptable to you. Fair enough. Rather than prescribing "my way or the highway" (as you seem prone to doing), I present my approach as one way to do it. What's best for me is not necessarily best for the OP.

Bob Kaplow
08-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Well, if you want the BEST finish on an LMR or HPR model, I recommend the procedure I used back over a decade ago on several models:

1) Put the built but unpainted rockets in the car

2) Drive to the local body shop

3) Ask the guy there "how much to paint these for me?"

4) Pay

5) Pick up perfectly finished rockets that smell funny for the next few weeks.

6) Dork each one on its first flight :mad:

barone
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Well, if you want the BEST finish on an LMR or HPR model, I recommend the procedure I used back over a decade ago on several models:

1) Put the built but unpainted rockets in the car

2) Drive to the local body shop

3) Ask the guy there "how much to paint these for me?"

4) Pay

5) Pick up perfectly finished rockets that smell funny for the next few weeks.

6) Dork each one on its first flight :mad:
ROTFLMAO! Bob, I'm so glad you joined us...... :)

ghrocketman
08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I stand corrected !
Bob's "auto body shop" method is a better "best" method than mine ! :p

Yes, I do realize I have a bias, but more importantly it is the RIGHT BIAS !!!! :D :rolleyes: :p

Mark II
08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I used butyrate dope (brushed on) when I built rockets back in the '60's, and I have fond memories of it. But with brush painting, it was really hard (or impossible) to get an even coat. But I loved the hard, glossy finish it gave, and the fact that it added practically no weight to the rocket. A few months ago, I bought a jar of Aerogloss Balsa Filler to try it out on some fins. When I opened the jar for the first time, it took me right back to when I was sitting in my parent's basement, painting my just-built Astron Alpha and Astron Sprite. Of course, back then, I didn't know, or didn't appreciate the importance of, such things as sanding the parts between coats, and sealing the balsa first, and it showed in my paint jobs back then. But I didn't care, because the rockets flew! :D

I care a bit more about how they look now, but fortunately, I also know a few things to do now to get a good finish (and I'm learning more all the time). My local hobby shop has several colors of Aerogloss dope, and I've been tempted to buy some to give it a try again. It never occurred to me to use an airbrush to apply it, though, but that makes a great deal of sense. It avoids the big issue of brush marks; because butyrate dope dries so fast, there is very little time for the paint to level out after you brush it on, so brush marks remain quite prominent. (EDIT: Well, at least MINE did! :rolleyes: )

So thanks, gh, for mentioning this technique - it's one that I never would have thought of, but after reading your posts about it, I think that I'd like to give it a try. Would you care to share some details of how you go about it, either here or in another thread? Things such as your airbrush set-up, whether and how you prep the model before you start painting, etc. Also, is it possible to mask off an area and spray another color over it? Sincerely, I'm interested in learning about this.

Mark \\.

ghrocketman
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Airbrush setup for dope:
I just have the "basic" entry model Badger that I use for painting rockets, but use a 2oz "fat bottom" jar that has the standard height of a 1oz. jar.
I set mine on fairly low pressure with an adj. regulator...I have high humidity in Michigan and I use an in-line water trap. If you don't have a compressor, the Badger "propel" cans work okay, but are VERY expensive to use.
Don't use more than 1/3 thinner to 2/3 dope from the jar/can, otherwise it tends to "blush" or leave chalky spots. If you have trouble with blushing, use less thinner or mix your thinner 50/50 with dope "retarder", which will slow the drying.

In order to get a good dope finish with a brush, you must use the proper technique.
LOAD the brush up, and lay the dope on very heavy/wet and brush in ONE direction ONLY.
Have little overlap between the brush strokes and DO NOT recoat any brush strokes until TOTALLY dry to the touch (1-2hrs). If you lay it on wet in a single brush stroke, the dope will flow naturally due to gravity and the finish will be so smooth it will appear to have been sprayed. If you use this technique, you will never need more than 2 coats for most opaque solid colors and 3-4 for translucent colors (Royal Purple & most metallics).

You can mask off dope and spray another color of dope over the un-masked areas.
It is important to use the lightest color as the base and the darkest over the lightest if you do this....otherwise you will use a lot of paint.
Never shoot or brush paint Dope OVER enamel based primers or topcoats....the dope will soften the enamel and you will have a "crazed" swirly MESS.
Use ONLY lacquer/dope based primers under dope top-coats.
You can shoot a trim/secondary color with enamel on top of dope with no problem.

For example: you can top-coat automotive LACQUER based primers with dope, but you absolutely cannot shoot it over KILZ primer.
You can trim a dope painted rocket with Krylon, Rust Oleum, Testors, or any other enamel, but you cannot trim the rocket with dope if the base color is one of the above brands.
Once you get used to dope, it is easy to work with.

Mark II
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Sounds good - thanks! The reason I asked about masking and adding a second color of dope was because back when I painted my rockets with it, the dope didn't cover the surface so much as it seemed to infuse it. But then, I also didn't use any primer back then either, so that may have had something to do with it, too. :o I hadn't noticed - so is there a butyrate dope primer, too? Also, I have read in places that butyrate dope shrinks quite a bit when it dries, and that it can cause warping as a result. Have you ever experienced any problems with that?

Mark \\.

Phred
08-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Stopped into an art shop today, and found 4 more cans of gloss white!! Yahoo!!

Ph

CJU
08-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Stopped into an art shop today, and found 4 more cans of gloss white!! Yahoo!!

Ph

One of our regional hardware chains has quite a bit of old formula left. And this week, Krylon is on sale... I'll be stocking up :D

Last week, I picked up a bunch of black and white, a can of blue, red, grey, and green. Now I'll get more.

Phred
08-31-2008, 07:47 PM
I am east of you, in Albany.... what chain has Krylon on sale?

Ph

CJU
08-31-2008, 08:15 PM
I am east of you, in Albany.... what chain has Krylon on sale?

Ph

It's Valu Home Center. The closest location to you is in Syracuse. You could try A. Phillips Hardware - it's part of the same co-op.

Chris

Maniac BAR
09-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Sorry to get in on this so late but you can add me to the list of people going to the cellar. :D

I have a good stash of "old" Krylon paint but ran out of the gloss white. Right away I noticed the top of the can was different and said "OH OH". Since I have a habit of reading the instructions (please don't lock me in the cellar alone), I noticed the recoat time difference.

However, if you mask off the other color areas, you don't have a recoat time problem! Only if you try to add another color over the first will a recoat problem occure. As far as the new paint, I really like it as well. I did notice that you have to cut way down on the amount of paint you put on! The coats have to be much thinner and lighter than the old style but the new paint has a much better flow out and gloss.

The same thing has to be done with the H2O stuff. I goes on really thick and heavy! It also sticks to everything within ten feet of where you spray!! :mad: Ask me how I found that out. :(

You must use very light, thin coats or it will run like a river. It looks like crap as it goes on and you will think you don't have enought paint on the rocket but don't over do it!! I will flow out and smooth itself nicely.

As for where to find the old stuff, I tried the local Sears here and they said they stopped selling spray paint years ago! The local Ace Hardware store still has a large selection of the old stuff and I didn't think I needed to clean them out just yet. I did get three cans of the old gloss white, thou just in case!

If you ask around, you might be supprised to find out that the Walmart brand of paint is made by Krylon!!! It IS different but the finished results are much the same. The local Kmart had a very small selection of spray paint period and after waiting almost 15 minutes for someone to come and unlock the grate, I just gave up and left.

Nothing steams me more than having to wait like that. All of these places basically sell the same stuff so I go to a particular place because I get SERVICE. If I have to stand around without someone telling me "I'll be right with you" when they finally get off their donkey's and ask me if I need something, I tell them "not now, you took too damn long to get here and I know of another place where they will help me right away."

See ya, don't want to be ya.

Man, I have been on the soap box a lot tonight. :o

Mark II
09-03-2008, 06:24 PM
[...]The local Kmart had a very small selection of spray paint period and after waiting almost 15 minutes for someone to come and unlock the grate, I just gave up and left. [...]
Your K-Mart keeps its spray paint behind a locked grate?!?! :eek: How stupid is that??? :mad:

What, are they afraid that someone might buy it?

BTW, the last couple of times I bought good new Krylon at Wal-Mart, the cashier had to check to see that I was over 18. :rolleyes: Gee, and I never even knew that it had booze in it! :p

Mark \\.

Bob Kaplow
09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Stupider than that: in the city of Chicago, it's illegal to even sell spray paint!

But the shitty of chicago has some of the most bizare laws on the books. Back when I worked for DEC, there was one tape drive we sold for large systems. There were 2 part numbers in the price bok: one for the city of Chicago, and one for the entire rest of the world. Their building code was so wacked that a unit that was good any where else on the planet needed to be modified for the city. I don't know why any company would build a data center any where in that corrupt rathole of a city.

Ubi Est Mea

Mark II
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Stupider than that: in the city of Chicago, it's illegal to even sell spray paint![...]
Yeah, but Maniac's in Phoenix! I always heard that you could do pretty much anything you wanted in the sunbelt.

Mark \\.

Maniac BAR
09-03-2008, 07:50 PM
You might be supprised to learn that all the local auto parts stores have their rattle cans behind locked grates as well. So does the local Micheal's and Hobby Lobby! The local Walmart and Ace hardware stores have their spray paints behind locked glass doors. The only way you can get to the paints is to find an associate to unlock the doors! And you better be 18 or older or that lock is not going to be opened. Home Depot and Lowes have the same locked grates but they at least leave them open so you can get what you need. However, they do give you a good look over to make sure you aren't going to use the paint for tagging or something!!

Ok, I look like a long haired hippy, with jeans and a tee shirt when I usually go to get building supplies! :D I wonder what they think I am going to do with it? :eek:

I was even told at one time, that I could NOT take that many cans out of the store!!! :mad: I had a total of about a dozen at the time!!!!

So we can't really do anything we wanted here unless you wanted to leave the house with a handgun strapped to you belt (it is ok), drink beer as long as you are outside the car(it is ok), make dang sure you are riding you bike WITH traffic (you will get a ticket if stopped going the other way)and generally going as fast as you want on the local freeways because we all know just where the speed camera's are located(way too many do). :(

Ok, that's as far as I want to go with this ranting. Off the soap box now.

Ltvscout
09-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Stupider than that: in the city of Chicago, it's illegal to even sell spray paint!
They won't sell it at all?!? I know in some parts of Milwaukee (gang areas) they have the paint under lock and key and will only sell it to adults.

Bob Kaplow
09-03-2008, 10:58 PM
They won't sell it at all?!? I know in some parts of Milwaukee (gang areas) they have the paint under lock and key and will only sell it to adults.

I don't shop the hardware stores and hobby shops in the city, especially after they raised their sales tax to the highest rate any where in the country. But that's my understanding.
Banned by the shitty of chicago.

This is the same city that arrested a couple I knew years ago for the crime of operating business equipment in a residential area. They were professors at DeVry. Their crime: using an original TRASH-80 to write books at home.

And they want to hold the olympics here :( Will there be toll booths along the marathon route?

ezgb59a
09-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Probably was mentioned but didn't see it ...

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between an old can and the newer stuff?

Thanks
ez

Ltvscout
09-03-2008, 11:30 PM
And they want to hold the olympics here :( Will there be toll booths along the marathon route?
Heh. Sort of like the state park entrance fee for NSL-2009. :rolleyes:

Maniac BAR
09-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between an old can and the newer stuff?

Thanks
ez

As far as I can tell, the easiest way is to check the top. The old formular spray has a flat, circular top and the new stuff has a more cone shape with a much smaller circle on the top.

If you have the each of the cans in your hand, the easier one to open is the new stuff. At least they improved the way the tops come off. I had to sometimes strike the can top on the end of a chair or table to wack the top off. The new ones are given a slight squeeze at the top and it pulls right off. :p

It you aren't sure which is which, just look for the recoat times. The old stuff can be recoated at any time. The new stuff has to be sprayed within an hour or else you have to wait a week to recoat. :mad:

Mark II
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
The new Krylon labels have the paint color's name (and a representation of it), along with whether it is glossy, semi-gloss, satin or flat paint, shown prominently, front and center, on the label. This information is included in the design of the label. To verify the paint color on cans of the old Krylon, on the other hand, you have to look for a small printed label that is stuck somewhere on the back of the can that gives the color's name.
The cap's color is an approximation, but only an approximation, of the true color of the paint on the old Krylon. While this is still true with the new version, there is a better indication of the color included in the design of the label itself. The colored area surrounding the name on the label of the new stuff is a better representation of the true color of the paint in the can.
As noted before, the caps on cans of the new stuff are cup-shaped.
Also, although many of the classic Krylon paint colors remain, and are still called by their original names, Krylon has introduced many new colors that have much more descriptive names, like "Bubble Gum" (i. e., pink) and "Leather Boots" (deep brown).
The combination of these two last two colors evokes fond memories from way back, by the way, but the memories were of something completely different from paint. ;)

Mark \\.

Mikus
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Heh. Sort of like the state park entrance fee for NSL-2009. :rolleyes:

Is that the one where you're supposed to pay in $2 bills? :D

ghrocketman
09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Nah...don't try paying with $2 bills as they won't take them; they only take $3's !!!!

LeeR
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks
ez

Old is called "Interior-Exterior", the new is "Indoor-Outdoor", New stuff aso has tapered cap (truncated cone), the old has upright, cylindrical cap.