PDA

View Full Version : Where To Buy ...

ezgb59a
08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Working with some kids in 4H. Will have several wanting to do rockets.

Where is the best place to buy rockets - saving money would help them.

Thanks
ez

Chas Russell
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Pratt Hobbies has some multi-paks of kits designed for beginning groups. Also, Fliskits and Quest Aerospace offer multipaks. Off the top of my head I think Quest is the only one that offers multipaks of motors.

Otherwise, if you have Hobby Lobby and/or Micheals stores nearby, have everyone wait for the 40% off coupons and purchase the same or similiar models. The Hobby Lobby website offers printable coupons that can be printed, but can only be used one per person per day.

Chas

jflis
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
I invite you to check out the educational site at FlisKits by clicking this link (http://www.fliskits.com/services/education/index.htm)

One of the main buttons of choice would be the Bulk Pack button. This will give you some information on our bulk packs. Please note that the Whatchamacallit is not shown, but it's bulk pack price is $6.95

The Whatchamacallit and Thing-a-ma-Jig are the most recommended for those just beginning in rocketry. These kits provide all of the features of a plastic fin unit with all of the quality of real balsa. You won't be disappointed, I assure you :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me here or send me an email.

jim

Chas Russell
08-25-2008, 08:26 PM
I thought that I might get a response from Jim. Good stuff and very innovative. I just need to have him develop a time-warp where I can build some of his kits I have in queue...

Chas

jflis
08-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Thank you Chas :)

I also wanted to point out two important features of our bulk pack program:

1) The minimum purchase is 10 of any one kit. This is NOT "groups of 10", rather anything 10 and over. If you only need (for example) 17 kits, that's all you need purchase.

2) What we show on our bulk pack page on the educational site are our Skill Level 1 kits as they are the most popular. However, please note that we will bulk pack any kit on our web site. As we speak I am bulk packing Corona Combo's and Praetor Combo's... :)

jim

Solomoriah
08-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Hey, Jim, I like the "jig tech" rockets okay, but let me say that the Triskelion is a really nice rocket, and almost as easy to build. When flying with kids, I've discovered the larger tube sizes are better, because it's easier to pack them with wadding properly; also, they tend not to fly so high, making small fields less of an issue.

Regarding Hobby Lobby: The best value for teaching kids about real rockets on their shelf is the Baby Bertha. Not as easy as the Triskelion, but not bad.

ezgb59a
08-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Has anyone done business with ac supply (http://www.acsupplyco.com/home.htm)

What about off ebay - good deals there? Looks like the shipping gets you.

Also - is it easy to find "bulk" junk. Left overs - per se? I would like to build rockets from scrach as my kid is building his kits just for the heck of it.

Thanks ez

Indiana
08-26-2008, 07:58 PM
I bought a micro maxx starter set from AC supply. They shipped quickly.

For parts I have a few suggestions. This is not meant to be an all-inclusive list.

www.semroc.com Great prices on parts. There is no better service.

www.fliskits.com great model company.

www.balsamachining.com great for parts and custom parts.

www.discountrocketry.com great prices

www.unclemikesrocketshack.com

www.brshobbies.com great place to buy plastic nose cones.

Solomoriah
08-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Uncle Mike is my choice for quantities of raw parts. For kits, Semroc and Fliskits are top choices. I have to admit, and apologies to Jim for this, but I don't really like most of the Fliskits designs; but his educational kits appear to be top-notch.

I do like my Triskelion. It's about the most elaborate Skill Level 1 rocket I know of.

Doug Sams
08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Has anyone done business with ac supply (http://www.acsupplyco.com/home.htm)
Yes, I have bought from them several times. Great prices on Estes motors.

Doug

LeeR
08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
[...]
The Hobby Lobby website offers printable coupons that can be printed, but can only be used one per person per day.

Chas

Correction: try one per person, per checkout line/employee, per day. And if you live in Northern Colorado, like I do, add "per city" ...

We have two within about 5-6 miles of each other in neighboring towns.

I've only come close to exceeding the limit, while getting Interceptor kits at 40% off.

:)

Bob Kaplow
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Years ago (back when they still had AT and/or NCR stuff) during one of HL's 50% off all rockets sales, my wife got a call from our card fraud department. Seems someone had used my credit card at 8 HL stores in a single day...

barone
08-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Years ago (back when they still had AT and/or NCR stuff) during one of HL's 50% off all rockets sales, my wife got a call from our card fraud department. Seems someone had used my credit card at 8 HL stores in a single day...
ROTFLMAO!

motley16
09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
yes, i have used ac supply lots of times great prices, and shipped fast. also have people willing to answer all your questions.